Time-wasting

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Time-wasting

Post by 1964white »

It is about time that new rules were brought in for time-wasting. I reckon Newcastle had pre-planned to break up the game today, by having "injuries" at convenient moments, I reckon at least eight of their players went down injured in an attempt to disrupt our game.

Apart from the fact that the time is rarely added on properly, the bigger effect is to stop any momentum that we were building up. Any player who has a game stopped for an injury, should have a minimum two minutes off the pitch before they can come back. I also think it would be an idea for a throw-in to be taken within 7 seconds, or it should go to the other team. Five minutes of injury time was a complete joke.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Time-wasting

Post by The Subhuman »

Should be like American Football and the clock stopped for injuries, it's not difficult. Also stopped for substitutions.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
LUFC DAVE 7
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by LUFC DAVE 7 »

So pleased you started this thread 64.
It started with Joelinton and continued with Dummett and several others. As you rightly pointed out, all preplanned to disrupt the flow of our game. I was screaming at the TV and cursing my mother who always told me "cheats never prosper"...load of bollo-ks that was!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:59 pm Should be like American Football and the clock stopped for injuries, it's not difficult. Also stopped for substitutions.
As they do in Super League rugby.

It's not rocket science.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

All the other 19 teams do it, it's called 'dark arts' LU aren't interested in that side of the game, blame Bielsa, not the rest.
I do agree something needs to be done about though, like faip says above, problem being, nothing will, you either fit in, or lose out.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

I mentioned this in the rate the ref thread. Kavanagh was conned by Newcastle hook line and sinker throughout the match and never got to grips with their shenanigans though it was obvious and, as you say 64, probably pre-planned - it really is so frustrating!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

LUFC DAVE 7 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:26 pm So pleased you started this thread 64.
It started with Joelinton and continued with Dummett and several others. As you rightly pointed out, all preplanned to disrupt the flow of our game. I was screaming at the TV and cursing my mother who always told me "cheats never prosper"...load of bollo-ks that was!
The kop & the rest of the ground were going mad with their antics.

Absolutely no respect for spoiler teams whose whole object is to gain an advantage through cheating, the barcodes antics were worse than Villa shambolic tactics four seasons ago.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

mentalcase wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:01 pm All the other 19 teams do it, it's called 'dark arts' LU aren't interested in that side of the game, blame Bielsa, not the rest.
I do agree something needs to be done about though, like faip says above, problem being, nothing will, you either fit in, or lose out.
Always thought Howe was a decent man, my respect for him after what I witnessed today is rock bottom.

Teams using this type of gamesmanship are cheating the paying fans & quite simply don't deserve a place in the best league in Europe.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

The other problem in football today is there are no ballboys due to covid.

This immediately causes an issue, as when the ball goes out of play, teams likes of Newcastle, Burnley, Villa, etc will take an age to recover the ball. For instance, a goal kick can take out two or three minutes.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

1964white wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:10 pm Always thought Howe was a decent man, my respect for him after what I witnessed today is rock bottom.

Teams using this type of gamesmanship are cheating the paying fans & quite simply don't deserve a place in the best league in Europe.
They aren't though 64, they're simply doing exactly what they can get away with, we've seen teams time wasting against us in the first 15 minutes of the game, that's ridiculous, but it's what they do to disrupt our rhythm , it's up to us to break them down, this season we don't have the nounce, wheres our playmaker, we were found out last season, now, every team knows what to expect from us, bloody hell, Bielsa even names the team 6 days in front.
We don't do the dark arts, we will only ever win over pundits and the fair play trophy.
Eddie Howe and the rest are simply playing to their advantage, not their fault.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

What is the difference between time wasting in the 10th minute and time wasting in the 70th minute?

Same with anything if refs let teams get away with it they will do it.
Aussieleeds
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Aussieleeds »

I can’t think of too many professional sports where the central referee/umpire is responsible for keeping time. It’s a no brainer to take this out of the referee’s hands.
Then you can easily stop the clock and add on the actual time lost.
Allow players say 10 seconds to return the ball to play then stop the clock if it’s still out of play.
Using injuries and subs to waste time at the end (last 10 mins and added time)can be countered by adding an extra 30 seconds to whatever time is actually lost. Agree, injured players have to stay off the field for 2 minutes, unless it was a bookable offence that caused the “injury”.
Having a separate timekeeper will actually take pressure off the ref as the call on full time is not his, and is totally objective. No Fergie time, because like most other pro sports, fans watching at home can see exactly how much time there actually is left to play. The whistle goes when the time is actually up, not when the ref has given favoured sides an extra minute to score.

These stats are horrifying.
https://talksport.com/football/315919/a ... 127263506/
Last edited by Aussieleeds on Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

faaip wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:59 pm Should be like American Football and the clock stopped for injuries, it's not difficult. Also stopped for substitutions.
Absolutely! What other sport depends on a bloke in the middle of a pitch checking on his watch.

Ridiculous!

Time for change (no pun intended )
Aussieleeds
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Aussieleeds »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:11 am What is the difference between time wasting in the 10th minute and time wasting in the 70th minute?

Same with anything if refs let teams get away with it they will do it.
Only that there is probably less of it in general.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Aussieleeds wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:24 am I can’t think of too many professional sports where the central referee/umpire is responsible for keeping time. It’s a no brainer to take this out of the referee’s hands.
Then you can easily stop the clock and add on the actual time lost.
Allow players say 10 seconds to return the ball to play then stop the clock if it’s still out of play.
Using injuries and subs to waste time at the end (last 10 mins and added time)can be countered by adding an extra 30 seconds to whatever time is actually lost. Agree, injured players have to stay off the field for 2 minutes, unless it was a bookable offence that caused the “injury”.
Having a separate timekeeper will actually take pressure off the ref as the call on full time is not his, and is totally objective. No Fergie time, because like most other pro sports, fans watching at home can see exactly how much time there actually is left to play. The whistle goes when the time is actually up, not when the ref has given favoured sides an extra minute to score.

These stats are horrifying.
https://talksport.com/football/315919/a ... 127263506/
I agree, although, for a keen football fan, it's actually nothing new, it's been around years that the actual time the ball is in play is less than the 70 minute mark, if it went to a 'time keeper' it would probably work in our favour with bielsa, because we demand the ball, and quick football, before bielsa we were just an ordinary waste time when it suits team.
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Isn’t this what Got Frank agitated and ultimately a red card at Brentford yesterday, where in his opinion Wolves were the guilty party with their play acting/time wasting tactics.

They did exactly the same thing at ER, so must go out with instructions from the manager to play the clock at every opportunity when they’re up and the end of the game is in sight.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:16 am Isn’t this what Got Frank agitated and ultimately a red card at Brentford yesterday, where in his opinion Wolves were the guilty party with their play acting/time wasting tactics.

They did exactly the same thing at ER, so must go out with instructions from the manager to play the clock at every opportunity when they’re up and the end of the game is in sight.
They certainly did, Cat

Horrible team, especially Jiminez upfront, their time-wasting tactics is working for them though :(
Prisoner37
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Prisoner37 »

If referees added on all the time wasting it would upset the advertising schedules on Sky so will never happen.

As suggested before, a two minute minimum before an injured player could come back on. Or even better the total time the player has taken to stop the long, slow route off the pitch. That time could be administrated by the 4th official.

Against Leeds the pre-planned s**thousing works by not only interrupting momentum and quieting the crowd it builds in recovery time from our physical intensity.

I feel that Burley, Wolves and Newcastle should refund me a third of the price of my tickets.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Prisoner37 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:05 am If referees added on all the time wasting it would upset the advertising schedules on Sky so will never happen.

As suggested before, a two minute minimum before an injured player could come back on. Or even better the total time the player has taken to stop the long, slow route off the pitch. That time could be administrated by the 4th official.

Against Leeds the pre-planned s**thousing works by not only interrupting momentum and quieting the crowd it builds in recovery time from our physical intensity.

I feel that Burley, Wolves and Newcastle should refund me a third of the price of my tickets.
Me too, Prisoner :tup:

I reckon we lost 20 minutes of the match to time-wasting/injuries/their keeper. I don't spend good money for my season-ticket to watch 70 minutes games.
Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Post by Finnatic »

Prisoner37 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:05 am If referees added on all the time wasting it would upset the advertising schedules on Sky so will never happen.

Yesterday was different from the usual time wasting as Newcastle attacked and pressed whenever they could.
As you say, it was the pre-planned “break” every 10 minutes throughout the game as recovery time, in order to last the entire game against our intensity.
I bet other teams start doing it too.