Jesse Marsch

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Does anyone think he should stay?

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

A win today would have given us some hope. It was like the Brentford game. A 0-0 draw would have been fair. But we lost. That should get the paperwork rolling. For me he's done.

We're not expected to get anything from the 2 Scum games. So I'd wait until after that. Have a potential replacement lined up. If he can get some miracle points from those 2 games, he buys a little more time. 2 points or more from those 2 games and he gets a little more time. Surprise us Jesse and you can stick around. But otherwise it's over.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

faaip wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:00 pm And Corberan has been linked. Apologies if already posted. I'd imagine that would be til the end of the season and rethink then.. But 30 from 39 for the Spaniard after taking over a relegation zone WBA...
I'm a big Corberan fan. But he's pretty new in his current job. Couldn't see him walking away until the end of the season
JoeDenver
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Jesse Marsch-GET HIM GONE

Post by JoeDenver »

BlackHillsPaul wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:16 am Five day ago most of us were pretty happy with our squad. Not arguing the points you are making. Missed chances, rudderless, clueless are all apt descriptions. But I always say results speak for themselves. And that ultimately falls on the Manager. What our players need are better tactics. And they need a Manager, a proper Gaffer to put a boot in their ass!!
Paul, I agree. I had really hoped to see a yankee coach succeed, but I must admit he’s not the guy. His tactics work great against teams wanting to play an open, flowing game. But as has been said ad nauseam, he doesn’t have an answer for teams that park the bus and wait for the counter. He’s a one trick pony.

Regarding our attack, I, too, noticed Harrison effectively crowding out Gnonto out on the left wing. The commentator noted that Harrison was given a free-roaming role. But why did he have to constantly head to Gnonto’s area instead of finding open space to exploit? I’m baffled by that. Also agree that a midfield 3 of Roca, Adams, and McKennie would’ve been the better formation. Would’ve given Struijk more cover and given Gnonto more space.

The Palace and Leicester losses were the low points for me this season and this loss rivals those. This one really stings.
Fly Fishing, Skiing, and The Damned United
Victor_Notts-17
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Victor_Notts-17 »

I always believed Corberan was being setup for manager here after Bielsa retired. If offered the job, he'd leave WBA to come here anytime...
Broad Ford
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Does Marsch have a Plan

Post by Broad Ford »

https://www.coachesvoice.com/cv/jesse-m ... -pressing/

Jesse obviously keeps his cards close to his chest by not revealing the full intricacies / tactical transitions, but do we see his red bulls system working at ER?

This high pressing, high intensity style works to disrupt opposition plans without leaving the formation open to counter attacks. If the defense has to position itself higher up the field then it needs to be well protected by a pivot, be it single or double. Correct me if I'm wrong but Phillips was immense as a single pivot offering both defensive cover, as well as a midfield outlet for attackers. The void left by Phillips is now a double pivot of Adams and Roca. Many have mentioned the need for a left back, but Jesse's tactics don't require another left back with Firpo acting as a wing back, whilst the pivot covers his exposed position as he presses forward down the wing and this double pivot rotates on the right wing with Kristensen rotating as Ayling presses down the right.

So far opposition clubs have the measure over Jesse's tactics meaning he is probably out of ideas and allows the team to finish games free from tactical constraints in favour of fun and chance, only the result of such dreadfully obvious tactics aren't any fun for the suffering supporters witnessing the slide towards the Championship.

Was it plainly obvious to others that the second half pressing performance against Forest was none existent where it mattered, didn't utilize players running into spaces and those left wing failing forays then cutting inside through the middle that ended with nothing.
Is the team knackered through high intensity or just quickly running out of ideas after plan A fails. Is the squad lacking cohesion / intelligence in those key pivotal areas?
If you don't know where you are going, every road will get you nowhere.
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by malcolmw »

Like many on this forum, I've been convincing myself he should be given a fair chance to put his stamp on things at Leeds. When you run a business and hire someone, its said its your responsibility to set them up to succeed, not fail. In that respect, I feel he's been given every opportunity. This January transfer window was a positive achievement for Leeds. Spent big but prudently, some good loan decisions and retentions (Harrison).

So Marsh has all the tools he's asked for. If I was the board, I'd be giving him no more than 3 more games to show some positive results - after that its too late for this season. Better have a shortlist of replacements ready to go. This squad under a (Premier League) seasoned manager would flourish - just my opinion.

Living in Canada and spending some time in the US, I have seen football in the North America. While it's great to see it flourishing like never before, they still don't really get it, and try to coach like you do American football (sorry that should be "throwball"!!). Marsch is typical of this - he is overly technical and talks too much of "plays". Football is not a sequence of set pieces like US throwball.

The top teams in the US would struggle to stay in the Championship. So it's maybe no coincidence that we look fine against lower league opposition where we have space to run, but are easily picked off by Premier League opponents.

(This may be for another thread on the forum, but I am concerned about the growing influence of American ownership in the club. The website front page ad for a San Francisco 49's game being shown at Elland Rd. was a bit ominous in my opinion. The investment would be good, but, like I say, they don't get it, and find it difficult not to meddle.)

So, sadly for Jesse Marsch, he just doesn't know what he doesn't know. Nice guy and really passionate about the game - but not yet a real Premier League manager. We don't have the luxury of being able to be the place where he gets this experience.

Don't know who should come in, but it must be someone with solid experience managing in one of the top 3 European leagues.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

malcolmw wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:16 am Like many on this forum, I've been convincing myself he should be given a fair chance to put his stamp on things at Leeds. When you run a business and hire someone, its said its your responsibility to set them up to succeed, not fail. In that respect, I feel he's been given every opportunity. This January transfer window was a positive achievement for Leeds. Spent big but prudently, some good loan decisions and retentions (Harrison).

So Marsh has all the tools he's asked for. If I was the board, I'd be giving him no more than 3 more games to show some positive results - after that its too late for this season. Better have a shortlist of replacements ready to go. This squad under a (Premier League) seasoned manager would flourish - just my opinion.

Living in Canada and spending some time in the US, I have seen football in the North America. While it's great to see it flourishing like never before, they still don't really get it, and try to coach like you do American football (sorry that should be "throwball"!!). Marsch is typical of this - he is overly technical and talks too much of "plays". Football is not a sequence of set pieces like US throwball.

The top teams in the US would struggle to stay in the Championship. So it's maybe no coincidence that we look fine against lower league opposition where we have space to run, but are easily picked off by Premier League opponents.

(This may be for another thread on the forum, but I am concerned about the growing influence of American ownership in the club. The website front page ad for a San Francisco 49's game being shown at Elland Rd. was a bit ominous in my opinion. The investment would be good, but, like I say, they don't get it, and find it difficult not to meddle.)

So, sadly for Jesse Marsch, he just doesn't know what he doesn't know. Nice guy and really passionate about the game - but not yet a real Premier League manager. We don't have the luxury of being able to be the place where he gets this experience.

Don't know who should come in, but it must be someone with solid experience managing in one of the top 3 European leagues.
Welcome

I, too, would give Jesse 3 games at most. Probably 2. And I agree that this squad of players should be doing better than they are.
VinnysTattoo
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by VinnysTattoo »

I honestly can’t see where the next win is coming from.

Our current form is bottom. To reverse that is going to involve some sea change which I don’t think JM is capable of achieving.

It’s a gamble with any new manager.

IMO, it’s a bigger gamble keeping him.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Jesse still here then :roll:

They're just prolonging the agony now, as they did last season.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

VinnysTattoo wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:13 am I honestly can’t see where the next win is coming from.

Our current form is bottom. To reverse that is going to involve some sea change which I don’t think JM is capable of achieving.

It’s a gamble with any new manager.

IMO, it’s a bigger gamble keeping him.
Feels exactly the same as last season.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

White Riot wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:23 am Jesse still here then :roll:

They're just prolonging the agony now, as they did last season.
This will drag on for weeks, by that time it will be all too late for a new coach to get us out of this mess, probably too late now.

I've been through four relegations previously, the writing was on the wall on those occasions, as it is now.

We're down in my mind, James.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Jesse Marsch post Forest

Post by Kennyb41 »

ActionJackson wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:34 pm Let's assume Jesse gave me the team at the 60 minute mark and I had to go with his Rutter and McKennie subs. I don't know if either has ever played like we play. Further, NF was playing 5 at the back and was more than willing to concede possession. I'd have switched to a 4-3-3 with McKennie in the middle and Rutter as CF. Then, I'd have us possess the ball. Stroke it around the back. Try and draw them out. When that doesn't work slowly close the vise (i.e. start stroking it around closer and closer to their goal). When they come out, switch fields quickly. Wingers need their cleats on the chalk. If we switched quickly enough go up the flank. Worse case scenario if they shut us down, get as many corners and free kicks as you can. Also, McKennie has a GREAT long throw. Marsch surely knows this. Very basic, but different. I'm not sure if we EVER practice being patient in build up. I also feel like if we played differently for a while, the press suddenly gets more effective if you switch back to it. The reason pressing in all its various forms was so effective for a while was because players were used to having more time on the ball. You have to give that extra time from time to time, not every time, but sometimes in order to have to work when it is employed. It's kind of the exact opposite of the Spanish Inquisition. Everyone is expecting it.

Further, the poster who suggested scoring more than the opposition is 100% correct.
Quite a lot to unpick there Action, let's just say Bert would know what you're on about, but Jesse would have that discombobulated look on his face and ask Bob to take over from you.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Jesse Marsch post Forest

Post by The Subhuman »

ActionJackson wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:34 pm Let's assume Jesse gave me the team at the 60 minute mark and I had to go with his Rutter and McKennie subs. I don't know if either has ever played like we play. Further, NF was playing 5 at the back and was more than willing to concede possession. I'd have switched to a 4-3-3 with McKennie in the middle and Rutter as CF. Then, I'd have us possess the ball. Stroke it around the back. Try and draw them out. When that doesn't work slowly close the vise (i.e. start stroking it around closer and closer to their goal). When they come out, switch fields quickly. Wingers need their cleats on the chalk. If we switched quickly enough go up the flank. Worse case scenario if they shut us down, get as many corners and free kicks as you can. Also, McKennie has a GREAT long throw. Marsch surely knows this. Very basic, but different. I'm not sure if we EVER practice being patient in build up. I also feel like if we played differently for a while, the press suddenly gets more effective if you switch back to it. The reason pressing in all its various forms was so effective for a while was because players were used to having more time on the ball. You have to give that extra time from time to time, not every time, but sometimes in order to have to work when it is employed. It's kind of the exact opposite of the Spanish Inquisition. Everyone is expecting it.

Further, the poster who suggested scoring more than the opposition is 100% correct.
*studs* ... I won't tell anyone though.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

1964white wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:23 am This will drag on for weeks, by that time it will be all too late for a new coach to get us out of this mess, probably too late now.

I've been through four relegations previously, the writing was on the wall on those occasions, as it is now.

We're down in my mind, James.
Probably Leon, that's two seasons in a row we've had to change coaches in February. Never known that before, but I think that's also an outcome of the level we're at and that poor results will not be tolerated.
WestgateRun
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by WestgateRun »

I don't think Jesse is going to get the sack, after the board backed him in the January transfer window.

The only way we will get a new coach is if the team bus gets bricked when driving through Salford on Wednesday evening.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

16ADE8DF-ACE6-4CB0-A77C-B79B212E9A2A.jpeg

Thought Jones had got Soton playing a little better recently but the bookies think he’s next
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Jones is a complete loon. Freaked out at Stoke, and has done it again at Southampton. Luton seem fine without him too.
pjm2019
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by pjm2019 »

JM has no real clue. He has been here 12 months, 2 transfer windows. We need a Left back. We needed a proven goal scorer not a 20/21 year old who has potential. With our current players lets try 3-5-3. 3 cb's, 2 wing backs, 3 in the middle and 3 up front
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

whiteswan wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:08 am Exactly! No new signings started :x
McKennie is overweight, and Rutter isn't really a striker.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

malcolmw wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:16 am

Interesting to hear you say that from your experience, as that's my perception looking at it from a UK perspective.