Jesse Marsch

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Re: Jesse Marsch- Faith restored?

Post by Mountain »

Cjay wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:09 pm So anyone who claims to have known Gnonto would do well so quick needs to get a job on our scouting team because we didnt know.
But that's not the debate.

None of us knew how Gnonto would get on. Not me, you, other posters here, no one. The only one who claimed to know was the manager. He was very clear that Gnonto was not PL ready. This is not about people saying he was ready, this is about one person saying he wasn't. And surely we can all agree that he got that wrong. I'm not sure why there is a debate around this. No matter what way it's stacked up, Marsch was wrong.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Mountain wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:35 pm But that's not the debate.

None of us knew how Gnonto would get on. Not me, you, other posters here, no one. The only one who claimed to know was the manager. He was very clear that Gnonto was not PL ready. This is not about people saying he was ready, this is about one person saying he wasn't. And surely we can all agree that he got that wrong. I'm not sure why there is a debate around this. No matter what way it's stacked up, Marsch was wrong.
Well he was wrong in the sense he has made a larger impact then Jesse said he would immediately. But it is important not to go overboard with Gnonto, people talk like he has been an unstoppable force.

He hasn't , he has had some good games and some poor ones and he has only played what 10 games worth of minutes?

His form could drop off a cliff, it's happened tons of times before with young players.

Would Marsch be wrong then?

Personally I think we should be cautiously optimistic.

But aware that it's a very small sample size and quite early to be saying he is an unmitigated success who was Premier League ready immediately.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
velo
Manager
Manager

Post by velo »

Mountain wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:35 pm But that's not the debate.

And Biesla was so right about Roberts.....James..........

We all make mistakes, move on
Stop worryin' about what people say, when it ain't gonna stop them anyway.

Hater of Liars, Cheats and Trolls

Freedom of speech is not allowed if it upsets the mods
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

Cjay wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:47 pm Well he was wrong in the sense he has made a larger impact then Jesse said he would immediately. But it is important not to go overboard with Gnonto, people talk like he has been an unstoppable force.

He hasn't , he has had some good games and some poor ones and he has only played what 10 games worth of minutes?

His form could drop off a cliff, it's happened tons of times before with young players.

But aware that it's a very small sample size and quite early to be saying he is an unmitigated success who was Premier League ready immediately.
Again, that is to miss the point.

None of us knew how Gnonto would get on.

And none of us are saying he will be an unmitigated success.

One person was confident about his ability...and said he couldn't do it at PL level. That's Marsch. Do you think he was right or wrong?
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

velo wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:48 pm And Biesla was so right about Roberts.....James..........

:lol:

Velo wants to bring Bielsa in.

Good man Velo.
velo
Manager
Manager

Post by velo »

Mountain wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:57 pm :lol:

Velo wants to bring Bielsa in.

Good man Velo.
Hell no

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Cjay wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:47 pm Well he was wrong in the sense he has made a larger impact then Jesse said he would immediately. But it is important not to go overboard with Gnonto, people talk like he has been an unstoppable force.

At the moment he's exactly the player I thought he'd be. He's definitely good enough. always was but right now I'm not sure he starts a sure thing...We paid a lot more for Rutter and Sinisterra and if you pay they should play...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Mountain wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:56 pm Again, that is to miss the point.

None of us knew how Gnonto would get on.

And none of us are saying he will be an unmitigated success.

One person was confident about his ability...and said he couldn't do it at PL level. That's Marsch. Do you think he was right or wrong?
Then yes Gnonto has had a few good Premier League performances rather than being totally poo.

So yes then he was wrong.
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

faaip wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:06 pm At the moment he's exactly the player I thought he'd be. He's definitely good enough. always was but right now I'm not sure he starts a sure thing...We paid a lot more for Rutter and Sinisterra and if you pay they should play...
He's inconsistent like most young players, so I don't think he should start every week.

Sinisterra is probably first choice on one side as you say (there best position in this formation is probably the same side).

If everyone is fit who starts?

Think I'd go Sinisterra and Summerville because Summerville has shown he is decent on both sides.

Gnonto hasn't yet

Rutter is the unknown, he has said he sees himself similar to Firmino who is more or a striker.
Last edited by Cjay on Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signed

King Cjay

velo
Manager
Manager

Post by velo »

Cjay wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:21 pm Then yes Gnonto has had a few good Premier League performances rather than being totally poo.

So yes then he was wrong.
FFs CJay
Give the guy some credit....
I actually think his comments were aimed at removing any pressure from his young shoulders....
If he didn't rate him, why sign him? Why play him ?

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

velo wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:26 pm FFs CJay
I actually think his comments were aimed at removing any pressure from his young shoulders....
Maybe so I was just answering the question :lol:

Can't win.
Signed

King Cjay

weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:09 pm The club only signed Gnonto because they messed up and panicked

He wasn't supposed to arrive until January.

The club weren't expecting him to do as well as he has (relatively speaking he's only played a few games).

Even Mancini said he would need time to settle and his record in Switzerland was nothing special (Alioski was better).

So anyone who claims to have known Gnonto would do well so quick needs to get a job on our scouting team because we didnt know.

A few caps for an underperforming Italy side and a so so record in Switzerland.

Hardly the signs of a ready made Premier league player.
Maybe the difference between watching a player or simply relying on stats.

Or maybe Orta wanted him in straightaway but Marsch told him he didn't think Gnonto was ready, Marsh said he wanted a striker, such as Bamba Dieng, who was more proven, as such Orta wanted to secure Gnonto but didn't see the need to do it in the last window and thought if we could get a guaranteed deal in place but leave Gnonto in Switzerland till January or the summer it made sense. I do get the impression that Orta and the others seem to give Marsc's opinions too much credence.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

velo wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:26 pm FFs CJay
I think Gnonto was a club signing, as was Rutter.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

faaip wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:30 pm I think Gnonto was a club signing, as was Rutter.
Indeed. I think it is clear to see who are the Marsch signings as they have all got RB on their cvs.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

weasel wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:29 pm Maybe the difference between watching a player or simply relying on stats.

Or maybe Orta wanted him in straightaway but Marsch told him he didn't think Gnonto was ready, Marsh said he wanted a striker, such as Bamba Dieng, who was more proven, as such Orta wanted to secure Gnonto but didn't see the need to do it in the last window and thought if we could get a guaranteed deal in place but leave Gnonto in Switzerland till January or the summer it made sense. I do get the impression that Orta and the others seem to give Marsc's opinions too much credence.
Why not sack the manager then and put Orta in that position
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:29 pm Maybe the difference between watching a player or simply relying on stats.

It's probably a debate for another thread, but I would be interested to know how much Orta personally goes to games and watches players.

I'd expect him to watch every 1st team signing and Managerial appointment.

Know he has a team of scouts but for that sort of thing he should be going personally.

In Marsch's defence Orta should defer to his manager, that is how it should work in a Director of Football and manager relationship.

I don't think it's likely Orta defers to Marsch, if anything he probably pushes him around (he did the same at Boro it's why he was sacked).

So no I'd disagree, I'd suggest it was Orta as well who agreed with Marsch or even told Marsch that Gnonto isn't ready.

Marsch doesn't have a team of analysts and scouts at his beck and call, Orta does.

So I'd think its likely that Marsch was parroting his bosses advice.

Maybe Marsch saw something in Gnonto after he arrived, hence why he plays Gnonto.

I don't think it's likely Marsch came up with the Gnonto conclusion by himself.
Signed

King Cjay

Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

GreennWhite wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:36 pm I tend to disagree that Marsch has improved Paddy, more than Bielsa did. And I'm not one of the Bielsa diehards before you ask.
Paddy was and still is our most intelligent footballer by a mile. Yes of course he is fragile but his movement and reading of the game is exactly the same as it was in the past.
Folk keep saying i bring Bert up a lot.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

SG90 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:30 pm Doesn't say much for his supposed genius then if he picked James up front over Rodrigo then.
Another dig at Bert ?
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

mentalcase wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:23 pm DJ is a winger faiip nothing more, nothing less,(please read on) bielsa was a fool to put him up front, plus he had options and he didn't take them , just another among his many baffling traits.
If DJ comes back, then fine, he's much more to offer than useless roberts , and I could see him in LB over the clown firpo, but CF , your'e aving a larf aint ya .
And people say i keep bringing him up ?

And you must be the bigger fool for implying he was Berts first choice up front.

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

velo wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:48 pm And Biesla was so right about Roberts.....James..........

And people say i keep talking about Bert huh ?

Injuries forced him to try different players out of their comfort zone, perhaps if our clown had bought better squad members as replacements for the injured,

Jay Roy Grot etc etc etc

;@)