Saying goodbye to a family pet

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Jaydog
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Saying goodbye to a family pet

Post by Jaydog »

Things are so depressing at the moment I thought I’d fight fire with fire and make it worse. It’s the British way after all. Unfortunately yesterday evening we had to say goodbye to our beautiful boy Stanley the lurcher. He was an absolute pleasure to know. I spent the last 3 days with him, almost every minute, and I could see that he’d had enough and had probably been in some pain for a while. The vet said not to worry as it’s very typical. They’ll run through a brick wall for you if you ask nicely. Anyway not exactly sure what this thread is - maybe some others on here have stories, pics or general experiences to recount. It’s quite therapeutic really.
Here he is in his prime, he loved the snow!
F1B281B0-B803-4002-A379-FB6ED9947F55.png
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Saying goodbye to a family pet

Post by 1964white »

Condolences, Jay, always a sad time when one loses their :wave: pet.

Been there many times, never gets any easier, nothing Jill & I could say would ease the pain.

Our pets leave us with so many memories & are sadly missed.

RIP Stanley.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

Really sorry to hear about Stanley.

Just because he is a dog, it doesn't mean he isn't a treasured part of the family. It sounds like he had a lovely life.
Jaydog
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Jaydog »

1964white wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 12:17 pm Condolences, Jay, always a sad time when one loses their pet.

Been there many times, never gets any easier, nothing Jill & I could say would ease the pain.

Our pets leave us with so many memories & are sadly missed.

RIP Stanley.
Thanks Leon. And you’re absolutely right, so many memories. He was nearly 14 and he had a great life. So many don’t unfortunately
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Sorry to hear that, Foxy :cry:

I can still remember (like it was yesterday) when our dog (an English Setter called Sheeba) died when I was about 7 or 8 yrs old and there was my Mum, Dad, Sister and myself all sat in the lounge crying our eyes out. After a while my Day says that's it we're not having another dog, we can't be going through this again.

However, the very next day, after having come downstairs in the morning and no dog there to greet him/us my Dad was on the phone enquirying about a new puppy. The following week we went up to Guisborough and returned with an 8 week old English Setter puppy (called Sugar), which we then had for about 12yrs. I then balled my eyes out when she passed away.

It was a good while until we had another pet, which was a cat (Sooty - imaginative name for a black cat) that turned up on doorstep and stayed. We had her for about 6/7yrs. I had to take her to the vets to be put to sleep. Managed not to cry in the vets, but did when I got to the car.

We've now had Muppet the cat (another one which just turned up and stayed) for about 12 or 13yrs. I know I will be absolutely devastated when the time comes with her.

I think I am more moved with pets and animals in general than humans. I can watch the charity adverts on the TV for starving children etc etc....with little emotion, but the ones with the bears, mistreated dogs/cats etc are a far harder watch. Not sure what that says about me, though :duno:
Jaydog
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Jaydog »

Ellandback1 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 12:20 pm Really sorry to hear about Stanley.

Just because he is a dog, it doesn't mean he isn't a treasured part of the family. It sounds like he had a lovely life.
Thanks Elland. Absolutely, he got treated better than we did! That’s the way it should be.
I didn’t do this for self indulgent reasons btw. Just thought others would of some tales to tell. I certainly have a few!
Jaydog
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Jaydog »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 12:23 pm Sorry to hear that, Foxy :cry:

I can still remember (like it was yesterday) when our dog (an English Setter called Sheeba) died when I was about 7 or 8 yrs old and there was my Mum, Dad, Sister and myself all sat in the lounge crying our eyes out. After a while my Day says that's it we're not having another dog, we can't be going through this again.

However, the very next day, after having come downstairs in the morning and no dog there to greet him/us my Dad was on the phone enquirying about a new puppy. The following week we went up to Guisborough and returned with an 8 week old English Setter puppy (called Sugar), which we then had for about 12yrs. I then balled my eyes out when she passed away.

It was a good while until we had another pet, which was a cat (Sooty - imaginative name for a black cat) that turned up on doorstep and stayed. We had her for about 6/7yrs. I had to take her to the vets to be put to sleep. Managed not to cry in the vets, but did when I got to the car.

We've now had Muppet the cat (another one which just turned up and stayed) for about 12 or 13yrs. I know I will be absolutely devastated when the time comes with her.

I think I am more moved with pets and animals in general than humans. I can watch the charity adverts on the TV for starving children etc etc....with little emotion, but the ones with the bears, mistreated dogs/cats etc are a far harder watch. Not sure what that says about me, though :duno:
Thanks Cat.
That’s a long list of pets! They bring so much joy don’t they and then break your heart. The vets came to the house and they were so lovely. I swear to god he knew the deal. He had a long look up to my wife who was standing above him, then at me. I helped the Crematorium lady carry him out to her van. She said put his rug on him to keep him warm. Daft I know but they deserve some love & dignity even after their gone.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

RIP Stanley :love:

Devastating losing a pet.

Our dog Holly was poorly for some time but not in pain and had a decent quality of life until the day she died.

Found her walking around the garden looking for a place to lay down.

Vet came and we managed to get her out from where she was and she made it to her bed in the sunshine middle of the garden.

She lay down and I stayed stroking her and the cat came out of the Bush and had a final rub up against her and the vet gave her the stuff and she passed away almost immediately, the vet hadn't even finished injecting her.

It was peaceful, she was content and in a place she was happy.

Very sad day but take comfort in the way she went and that we did the right thing for her.

Awful but at the same time you know you did the right thing for your pet, should take comfort in that.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Jaydog
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Jaydog »

Cjay wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 12:54 pm RIP Stanley :love:

Devastating losing a pet.

Our dog Holly was poorly for some time but not in pain and had a decent quality of life until the day she died.

Found her walking around the garden looking for a place to lay down.

Vet came and we managed to get her out from where she was and she made it to her bed in the sunshine middle of the garden.

She lay down and I stayed stroking her and the cat came out of the Bush and had a final rub up against her and the vet gave her the stuff and she passed away almost immediately, the vet hadn't even finished injecting her.

It was peaceful, she was content and in a place she was happy.

Very sad day but take comfort in the way she went and that we did the right thing for her.

Awful but at the same time you know you did the right thing for your pet, should take comfort in that.
Thanks Cjay.
Love that. In the middle of the garden in the sun. And the cat. Bloody hell you’ve started me off again now :cry:
Yes you’re right. People would always say “you’ll know when it’s time” and it was. But I’m absolutely staggered by their ability to deal with pain. The vet confirmed it. She said not to worry as she could see that I was upset that Ii hadn’t spotted it. Maybe our footballers should take note.
Jaydog
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Jaydog »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 12:23 pm Sorry to hear that, Foxy :cry:

Btw I’m with you on the last bit. 100%. I’d take animals over most adult humans any day.
velo
First Team
First Team

Post by velo »

Sorry to hear of your lose bud, its as hard as losing one of your kids, take care
Marsching on !
Jaydog
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Jaydog »

velo wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 3:54 pm Sorry to hear of your lose bud, its as hard as losing one of your kids, take care
Thanks Velo. You obviously talk from experience and you’re absolutely right. I’ve never cried so much in my life :cry:
So many great memories though :)
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Stanley is beautiful Jay. I really feel for you. I've been down that road twice. Once with my lovely but feral ginger moggie Mazda, who I brought back with me from The Middle East, I lost her at 18 years old.....and latterly with my beautiful basset hound Josh who we lost in 2014 at 15 years 3 months. It really took me down losing Josh.....so look after yourself
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Jaydog wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 4:26 pm Thanks Velo. You obviously talk from experience and you’re absolutely right. I’ve never cried so much in my life :cry:
So many great memories though :)
We were the same when three of our cats passed away, absolutely devastated when we lost Felix, we cried our eyes out for months. We'd struggle to cope if we lost Casper, who found us looking like a very sad, dishevelled, hungry cat. Now he is a real loving character, happy, content, demanding in a communicative way, understanding every word we say to him. Casper has certainly landed on his paws, treats his home as if he is king of the castle :moggy:

Screenshot 2022-05-14 20.43.32.png
Jaydog
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Jaydog »

whiteswan wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 7:34 pm Stanley is beautiful Jay. I really feel for you. I've been down that road twice. Once with my lovely but feral ginger moggie Mazda, who I brought back with me from The Middle East, I lost her at 18 years old.....and latterly with my beautiful basset hound Josh who we lost in 2014 at 15 years 3 months. It really took me down losing Josh.....so look after yourself
Thanks Swannie. He really was beautiful inside & out. Absolute lunatic when he was young but a gentle boy.
Amazing ages for your two! And Mazda, great name. Did you bring him back in a truck? I know how you must of felt now with Josh. I’m absolutely heartbroken tbh, it’s what you have to pay but it’s worth it.
Jaydog
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Jaydog »

1964white wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 7:44 pm We were the same when three of our cats passed away, absolutely devastated when we lost Felix, we cried our eyes out for months. We'd struggle to cope if we lost Casper, who found us looking like a very sad, dishevelled, hungry cat. Now he is a real loving character, happy, content, demanding in a communicative way, understanding every word we say to him. Casper has certainly landed on his paws, treats his home as if he is king of the castle :moggy:

Screenshot 2022-05-14 20.43.32.png
Wow, he’s a big lad! How old is he? You probably don’t know I guess. Lovely that he found you and you him. You have to spoil them don’t you, they’re not here for long.
I know how you must of felt with Felix, never felt pain like it tbh. Nagging doubt I let him down but I’ll have to live with that. I never meant to but there you go.
mentalcase
First Team
First Team

Post by mentalcase »

So sad to hear fella, think of all the good times, which ought to be everyday with a pet, they give so much and don’t need a lot in return.
One of our 2 dogs is on her last legs, a rescue dog we’ve had 8 yrs, had 2 strokes in past month bless her, but she’s still with us.
When my dog finally passes, he’s 12 on Wednesday, hopefully he’s another good few years left, but, when it’s time, I don’t know what I’ll do, I don’t get emotional over many human things, but with my pet, who has helped me through so much, all my demons, well, the mrs is worried about me and what I might do.
Just cuddling him now :tdown:
RIP Stanley :tup:
Keep Fighting
Jaydog
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Jaydog »

mentalcase wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 9:00 pm So sad to hear fella, think of all the good times, which ought to be everyday with a pet, they give so much and don’t need a lot in return.
One of our 2 dogs is on her last legs, a rescue dog we’ve had 8 yrs, had 2 strokes in past month bless her, but she’s still with us.
When my dog finally passes, he’s 12 on Wednesday, hopefully he’s another good few years left, but, when it’s time, I don’t know what I’ll do, I don’t get emotional over many human things, but with my pet, who has helped me through so much, all my demons, well, the mrs is worried about me and what I might do.
Just cuddling him now :tdown:
RIP Stanley :tup:
Thanks MC
I’m not sure there were many days when he didn’t make me laugh tbh.
That’s sad to hear. But you’ve given her a life she wouldn’t of had and that’s the main thing. But I feel for you as I worried for Stan every day the last few months and that takes it out of you.
When it’s time MC you will know my friend, I promise you. I never thought I would but the vet said it’s time and I knew it myself. You’ll be ok. Listen to the Mrs, she knows best.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Jaydog wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 8:04 pm Wow, he’s a big lad! How old is he? You probably don’t know I guess. Lovely that he found you and you him. You have to spoil them don’t you, they’re not here for long.
I know how you must of felt with Felix, never felt pain like it tbh. Nagging doubt I let him down but I’ll have to live with that. I never meant to but there you go.
Casper came to us trudging though heavy snow one cold winter. According to our vet, he was a 4yo male cat, he is now 13yo. Yes, he is a big gorgeous intelligent boy, he eats more than a dog.

Jay, you never let Stanley down, he had a good long life, probably endured more love & happiness than many children do who are brought up in what is a cruel world.
Jaydog
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Jaydog »

1964white wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 9:22 pm Casper came to us trudging though heavy snow one cold winter. According to our vet, he was a 4yo male cat, he is now 13yo. Yes, he is a big gorgeous intelligent boy, he eats more than a dog.

Jay, you never let Stanley down, he had a good long life, probably enduredmore love & happiness than many children do who are brought up in what is a cruel world.
This is why I did the thread. I love stories like that. Seeing a pet happy like that is what it’s all about. Some things are meant to be.
It’s ok, I’m alright with it. I know he forgives me, he taught me a lot. They say dogs and cats can see right into your soul. I hope he liked what he saw.
Better go to bed, big day tomorrow. Maybe some good news for a change.