Tyler Adams

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Tyler Adams rumoured to be out for the remainder of this season.

Post by DDB220 »

faaip wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:11 pm I know you love being negative and all Frazier with the doom and gloom but McKennie or Gyabi could easily replace Adams. You don't need your DMF to be a box to box player. Gray could give us the energy too... It's not rocket physics
Jeez - Gray has played how many mins since his injury at under 23 level. Probably not even 90 - he has next to zero first team experience and yet you quote him as cover?
Gyabi should play but it will be ROCA and McKennie again. Managers unless they have big cahoonas always take the safe option because if it doesn’t work there is little comeback. Put a kid in, when there is an experienced option and if it all goes pear shaped - the manager gets a roasting.

The fact is we are weakened by the loss of the three players - there is no hiding from the fact. I fear for Firpo against Saka without Adams helping out. If he makes it to half time regardless of the score I will be impressed.

Gracia will really have to earn his corn now. Make no mistake - this is reality not despondency we have lost 3 key players and the survival task just got harder.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Cjay wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:29 pm And I know you like to be Corporal Jones all keen everything is fine Captain Radz but different skillsets matter.

We don't have a like for like replacement for Adams. What he gives we can't replace and that will impact the overall team.

Hopefully the skillet of the replacement will give us more of something else (Roca for example a more progressive passing range

If Gyabi could easily replace him then it doesn't say much for the Captain of the USMNT.

Hopefully Gray or Gyabi can step up.

Or Roca more likely but it isn't certain or simple.
Positivity wins.... Negativity will see you fail everytime
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

DDB220 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:49 pm Jeez - Gray has played how many mins since his injury at under 23 level. Probably not even 90 - he has next to zero first team experience and yet you quote him as cover?
Gyabi should play but it will be ROCA and McKennie again. Managers unless they have big cahoonas always take the safe option because if it doesn’t work there is little comeback. Put a kid in, when there is an experienced option and if it all goes pear shaped - the manager gets a roasting.

The fact is we are weakened by the loss of the three players - there is no hiding from the fact. I fear for Firpo against Saka without Adams helping out. If he makes it to half time regardless of the score I will be impressed.

Gracia will really have to earn his corn now. Make no mistake - this is reality not despondency we have lost 3 key players and the survival task just got harder.
There's a good reason why Tyler Adams has been in the top three of our player ratings polls 14 times in his 26 appearances Without checking, I would assume his average rating is around the 8/10 mark.

You make a good point about Adams protecting Firpo, the same analogy applies with the Wober/Koch combination, it's no coincidence that Koch's form has improved significantly, playing alongside our Austrian international.
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Oh dear just heard this on tinternet. Our most aggressive tackler possibly out for the remainder of this season. It would have been mission impossible at Arsenal with Adams.... now they will cut thru our midfield like butter. Gracia is tactically aware but he's no magician, take Wober & Adams out for a decent length and we go back to flakey at best. You could sow both Coops & Struijk together and still not have a Wober.

Lets hope its all bollox like the Ben White story.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

faaip wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:01 pm Positivity wins.... Negativity will see you fail everytime
There is a fine line between positivity and this
200w-2.gif
200w-2.gif (265.82 KiB) Viewed 566 times
Realist not negative
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:19 pm There's a good reason why Tyler Adams has been in the top three of our player ratings polls 14 times in his 26 appearances Without checking, I would assume his average rating is around the 8/10 mark.

You make a good point about Adams protecting Firpo, the same analogy applies with the Wober/Koch combination, it's no coincidence that Koch's form has improved significantly, playing alongside our Austrian international.
Adams impressed because of his high energy in a frantic team that spent most of the match trying to win the ball (and then win it back after giving it away cheaply). The example given about him protecting Firpo simply highlights that he often is running where he doesn't need to be. He should be staying central, that is where the danger usually ends up. By simply staying central but dropping deeper as someone runs at Firpo it means the left centreback can go accross to help Firpo out, which is the sensible option, and Adams then simply drops into the position vacated by the left centreback.

We are hopefully a lot more tactically savvy now and for me Adams will not be missed anywhere near as much as he would have been if we were still playing chaseball. It was telling that McKennie said in a recent interview about how moving to Italy saw him develop the reading and anticipation side of his game which saw him having to run a lot less. That is what Tyler Adams needs in his development and hopefully will get it now that he is finally away from Red Bull ball.

If that sounds dismissive of Adams it isn't. I just think he could be a very good player with the right coaching, which he hasn't had so far.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

King Hennessy wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:13 pm That's tough for Adams and Leeds if true. I hope it's not. Adams impressed me this season. I wasn't sold on him before the season as a premier league baller, and I wasn't even sold as him being a mainstay in the 🇺🇲🇺🇲 starting XI, let alone captain. His play in the premier league and world cup definitely made me a believer, and I hope it's only the start of a great, long career for club and country.

It's time for Gyabi to make that jump and step up for depth. From what I've seen I prefer him over Greenwood.

On another note, as a Murrican football ⚽ fan, locking down Balogun is big.
It looks likely to be true, the guy who posted it on twitter is good mates with McKennie (posted a picture with him today) .

I agree on Greenwood, would have Gray and Gyabi ahead of him.

Been reading about Balogun, having a decent season in France.

Wonder if we may go for him if we stay up.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

weasel wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:42 pm Adams impressed because of his high energy in a frantic team that spent most of the match trying to win the ball (and then win it back after giving it away cheaply). The example given about him protecting Firpo simply highlights that he often is running where he doesn't need to be. He should be staying central, that is where the danger usually ends up. By simply staying central but dropping deeper as someone runs at Firpo it means the left centreback can go accross to help Firpo out, which is the sensible option, and Adams then simply drops into the position vacated by the left centreback.

We are hopefully a lot more tactically savvy now and for me Adams will not be missed anywhere near as much as he would have been if we were still playing chaseball. It was telling that McKennie said in a recent interview about how moving to Italy saw him develop the reading and anticipation side of his game which saw him having to run a lot less. That is what Tyler Adams needs in his development and hopefully will get it now that he is finally away from Red Bull ball.

If that sounds dismissive of Adams it isn't. I just think he could be a very good player with the right coaching, which he hasn't had so far.
Agree with you here. Adams is a big loss. But I fully trust Javi to make the adjustments. Under Marsch we would be up schitts creek with this news. But Javi is a much smarter guy and more flexible. We've got Roca, McKennie, Greenwood, Gyabi to play in midfield. None of them are Adams replacements, but I trust our new coach will figure out a way to make things work.

Might mean 3 CB's at times. We might get tonked at Arsenal. But that doesn't impact the rest of our season. We still have enough to take points in other games.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Cjay wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:28 pm It looks likely to be true, the guy who posted it on twitter is good mates with McKennie (posted a picture with him today) .

I agree on Greenwood, would have Gray and Gyabi ahead of him.

Been reading about Balogun, having a decent season in France.

Wonder if we may go for him if we stay up.
Has he declared for the USA yet? If so, that will increase our chances.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Cjay wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:39 pm There is a fine line between positivity and this

200w-2.gif

Realist not negative
Wake up the dying, don't wake up the dead
Change what you're saying, don't change what you said
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

weasel wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:42 pm Adams impressed because of his high energy in a frantic team that spent most of the match trying to win the ball (and then win it back after giving it away cheaply). The example given about him protecting Firpo simply highlights that he often is running where he doesn't need to be. He should be staying central, that is where the danger usually ends up. By simply staying central but dropping deeper as someone runs at Firpo it means the left centreback can go accross to help Firpo out, which is the sensible option, and Adams then simply drops into the position vacated by the left centreback.

Anyone else on the forum with their EUFA coaching badges ?
Ackermann
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Ackermann »

Wober and Gnonto rumoured to be doubtful...Adams injured means we simply can`t afford more injuries to vital players or we are fukked.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

DDB220 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:50 pm Anyone else on the forum with their EUFA coaching badges ?
I don't have coaching badges however I did manage an eleven a side team for several years. Whilst it was only Sunday League level it does mean you learn a lot about how football actually works, far more so than any computer management game or any fan simply saying what they'd do but never having to actually live those decision and see them suceed or more likely fail.

After a few seasons I decided to play a defensive midfielder. The hardest bit was convincing a player that to do the role best was to actually not move fromt heir position that much. Too many players wan't to be involved all the time, which is what I see with Adams. My side was a far better side when I had my defensive midfielder doing what I asked him to. We had other lads play there and needless to say they didn't have the disclipline to do the job I wanted them to, including galavanting into the oppositon penalty box and scoring - how do you tell a player who has just scored that that isn't his job? Our team became fairly solid defensively. As a centreback (I was player manager) I was perfectly happy going accross to cover my fullback and knew my DM would be able to slot into my space. This meant I could play with two very attacking fullbacks but without making us vulnerable defensively.

Whilst I wouldn't discourage anybody from taking coaching badges there is a world of difference between learning as a coach and actually being a manager.

I will throw in an example of how sometimes doing one thing can actually change a match although it would defy common logic of those watching. Sometimes we played with 5 at the back, 3 centrebacks, dependant on who I had available. A lot with Sunday League is picking a side based on who you have available and whilst I liked a DM and 4 defenders sometimes the skillset meant it was better to go 5 at the back. Anyways one game and with the players I had, namely too many strikers I decided to play a 433. We started the match and were abysmal 2-0 down within a few minutes. I decided at that point to drop one of my strikers into my defence - changing us to 5-3-2. Now if we had 40,000 fans watching then the overriding feeling, I am sure, would be that I was simply going for damage limitation and had given up any chance of trying to win the game - why drop a striker when 2 goals behind. But it wasn't a negative subsitution. We'd been getting ripped open down our flanks and it had led to the centrebacks having to try to cover and us leaving gaps centrally. By switching to 5 at the back it cut out that threat, the centrebacks could cover whichever flank was needed and there would still be 2 centrebacks centrally. We got on top of the opposition, our fullbacks were able to turn into wingbacks and we created chance after chance. Unfortunately it was just one of those days where we couldn't hit the proverbial barn door and we lost but we absolutely dominated.

So yeah Adams out is a big loss but it may in someways suit the team more if we set up right.
1964white

Re: Tyler Adams could stay at Leeds even if we are relegated.

Post by 1964white »

Leeds United could retain the services of key midfielder Tyler Adams even if they are relegated to the Championship this season.

That is according to CBS journalist Ben Jacobs, who told GiveMeSport Leeds would be reluctant to let him leave given his long-term contract at Elland Road and sees him as someone who would ‘thrive’ in the Championship.

Adams put pen-to-paper on a five-year-deal at Leeds last summer after joining in a £20 million deal from Red Bull Leipzig.

His performances have quickly turned him into a fan favourite in West Yorkshire but saw his season cut short in March after undergoing surgery on his hamstring.

There is likely to be a huge turnover of players at Leeds if they are relegated from the Premier League this season.

However, Adams could be one who actually remains at Elland Road and having a player of his quality in the Championship would stand them in good stead for an immediate return to the top-flight.

Jacobs believes that while Adams’ future will also depend on what he wants to do, Leeds will not ‘want to let him go’ even if they go down.

He said: “I would expect any relegation for Leeds to impact [Weston] McKennie a little bit more than Adams because the latter is locked in at Leeds, and I think Adams would perhaps relish the Championship and thrive in the Championship.

“He’s a leader, he’s a battler and Leeds won’t want to let him go. Obviously, the player perspective and offers will always be a factor in all of this, but I don’t see Adams as being first one out the door or anything like that, quite the opposite.

“I think that Leeds would see him as highly valuable in the Championship.”

This is good news. If Leeds are relegated there will undoubtedly be key departures, but ultimately, they can’t lose everybody.

Watford, for example, have been able to retain the services of Joao Pedro and Ismaila Sarr for two Championship seasons despite Premier League interest, and Leeds will need to be firm.

That said, Adams is the captain of USMNT and he may need to seek assurances that his place in that side is safe before committing his future to Leeds.
Clitheroe White
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Clitheroe White »

1964white wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 7:31 am
That said, Adams is the captain of USMNT and he may need to seek assurances that his place in that side is safe before committing his future to Leeds.
If Marsch is USMNT manager then I would suspect his place will be reasonably secure.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

I'm hoping Sam will be a big factor in who stays and goes.

Radz might just have got his senses together in time in firing the clown and lucky in hiring Sam, although both could be considered wise business decisions.

If you use your noggin again Radz you'll find a decent scout, and leave Sam to ALL football related matters.

Sam has his own style and his own way of working, Tyler will fit that bill perfectly for Sam.

Sam will know who he wants and who he doesn't by the end of the season and during summer break, he's got to sort Orta's wheat from the chaff ala Bert first, then see what's left in the coffers.

Just praise the Lord The Monkey with a pin is no longer here, that in itself has perked me up no end.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

I hope so, but honestly cannot see him staying.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Barlow Boy wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 12:37 pm I hope so, but honestly cannot see him staying.
Someone will snap Adams up, you'd think, I suppose it depends on how long he remains injured into the summer months.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

The suggestion that because he has a long term contract, we hold all the cards is nonsense. We all know players and agents wield the power, and I can't really see Adams staying, whatever league we are in.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

lufc1304 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 12:58 pm The suggestion that because he has a long term contract, we hold all the cards is nonsense. We all know players and agents wield the power, and I can't really see Adams staying, whatever league we are in.
But we can hold out for a profit, we need to. I think there's a fair chance he stays. Second guessing player movement is a mugs game and for me they're Leeds players till they're not.