Archie Gray-EFL Championship Young Player Of The Year

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Archie Gray- Signs 1st Professional contract

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:06 pmReally
You are the only Leeds fan I know who thinks everything is fine at Elland Road.

Even the most positive pals I know who get behind the team on match days as I do & rightly so, are in total despair.

Maybe our expectations were a little higher than sitting in the bottom two with twelve games to go.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:15 pm You are the only Leeds fan I know who thinks everything is fine at Elland Road.

Even the most positive pals I know who get behind the team on match days as I do & rightly so, are in total despair.

Maybe our expectations were a little higher than sitting in the bottom two with twelve games to go.
Wouldn't expect anything less ..... Don't think I used the word fine either, I doubt everything is fine at Man City or Chelsea, let alone Leeds ...

So does everyone want me to stop posting my support for the board? Happy to, though it really only leaves me match day threads and the music threads to post on....

Anyone else think the board are doing the best thay can or am I really, as 64 says, the only one left..
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:09 pm So does everyone want me to stop posting my support for the board? Happy to, though it really only leaves me match day threads and the music threads to post on.... ..
Absolutely not!
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Archie Gray

Post by SG90 »

Cjay wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:35 pm
Until 2025
Just like Kalvin then :roll:

He's 17 now, so sadly can't join Milner & Lennon in the 16 year old PL appearance club.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Big shout to see Archie on the bench today ahead of Gyabi and Greenwood. Surprised Greenwood left out unless he's injured.

He's only played 45 minutes for the 23's since coming back. Shows Javi has a lot of faith in him.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

faaip wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:11 pm No way in 1000 years would a team of clowns get promoted ahead of schedule from the championship.. Ridsdale, he was a clown, Bates was an asset stripper, GFH were clowns, Cellino was a nice clown... This board is probably the best since god knows when and almost certainly when it was a lot easier to run a football club...

Careful what you wish for, the next lot maybe another GFH, Bates or Ridsdale. This lot are doing a decent job in difficult circumstances.

I think those calling the board clowns are suffering from grass is greener syndrome ...
I agree with a lot of this. A lot of the complaints are hindsight based. Very few boardrooms escape criticism from the fans. Even those which are comparatively successful.

If you take in all the time Radz and Co have been here and consider his full tenure. He is ultimately responsible for all appointments - would you consider his tenure a success or failure. Consider where we were before he came and where we are now, the journey to get here and all the ups and downs etc.

To use the term clown is disrespectful and moronic.

Football fans are like teenagers - eternally unwittingly ungrateful unless everything in the garden is rosy.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

DDB220 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:45 am I agree with a lot of this. A lot of the complaints are hindsight based. Very few boardrooms escape criticism from the fans. Even those which are comparatively successful.

If you take in all the time Radz and Co have been here and consider his full tenure. He is ultimately responsible for all appointments - would you consider his tenure a success or failure. Consider where we were before he came and where we are now, the journey to get here and all the ups and downs etc.

To use the term clown is disrespectful and moronic.

Football fans are like teenagers - eternally unwittingly ungrateful unless everything in the garden is rosy.
Agreed

Internet is full of people who like nothing better to find fault, complain, ask un answerable questions.
Our board arent perfect and there have been some bizarre decisions made but not all of them have been poor.
One example.
Bringing in Bielsa and effectively handing giving him the keys to the kingdom and bankrolling most of his plans was deemed crazy by many in the football world.
In fact Radz was warned by fellow chairmen that he would regret giving him a job.

That decision instead of being applauded was criticised (after the effect) by the nay sayers that they "got lucky"

I like the teenagers analogy.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Funny about Archie, I actually havent seen him do anything particularly good yet

Hope he lives up to the hype.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

faaip wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:09 pm Wouldn't expect anything less ..... Don't think I used the word fine either, I doubt everything is fine at Man City or Chelsea, let alone Leeds ...

So does everyone want me to stop posting my support for the board? Happy to, though it really only leaves me match day threads and the music threads to post on....

Anyone else think the board are doing the best thay can or am I really, as 64 says, the only one left..
You're not the only one left.

This board brought us promotion. They brought us Gnonto, Adams, Koch, and Wober on a very tight budget.

They're not perfect, but who is?

The only question we have to ask is, are we in a better place now than we were when they took over?
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

John in Louisiana wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:27 am You're not the only one left.

This board brought us promotion. They brought us Gnonto, Adams, Koch, and Wober on a very tight budget.

The only question we have to ask is, are we in a better place now than we were when they took over?
And the answer is clearly yes... even if we should go down, we're in a much better place than the last time we were in the EFL, even if we have to sell one or two assets we're still 20 times a better club than we were under Bates/GFH and Cellino and before that even...

I don't think we'll go down
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Football is a game of ups and downs for the vast majority of clubs the down periods are often excessive. We are no different to the vast majority. I am sure Radz and Co would, given the opportunity change a number of their decisions, but they are the ones who have to make the decisions in real time.

If we stay up whoever takes over will have to make a decision as to whether we retain Gracia or go for a manager who many would argue could take us to the next level. Stick or twist under such circumstances are the types of decisions with potentially monumental ramifications that the board have to make on a regular basis. There is no real intrinsic jeopardy for the fans but if you have invested millions in the club it is a different scenario. Get it wrong and you not only lose a sizeable fortune but you get the ire of the fanbase.

Many wealthy individuals stay well clear of getting involved in football for a good reason.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

faaip wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:37 am And the answer is clearly yes... even if we should go down, we're in a much better place than the last time we were in the EFL, even if we have to sell one or two assets we're still 20 times a better club than we were under Bates/GFH and Cellino and before that even...

I don't think we'll go down
I don’t either - out of the nine in the mix we have the talent and experience within all areas of the club to stay up. By no means a certainty, because there isn’t such a thing in football.
Winning games like yesterday are essential - it builds belief, as did coming from behind to earning a point at home against Brighton. According to many momentum and belief is everything in a relegation scrap.
GreennWhite
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by GreennWhite »

Its good to hear people post messages without the negative BS that so many do. I'm well aware we are in a poor position in the league and of course it always leads to fans complaining, its the nature of the beast so to speak. But it seems like some people cant bring themselves to even say the odd good thing about the players/ manager or board when things do go well.
I think some people just live their lives expecting the worst is going to happen, so when it does they can say i told you so and it makes them feel less upset. If the opposite happens and things go well they can afford themselves a little smile then move onto being negative again for what's ever coming up next.
But hey ho, each to their own.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

John in Louisiana wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:27 am You're not the only one left.

They also bought us Rodrigo who's a gnats whisker behind Kane as 2nd best finisher in the prem atm, Summerville for a mill, Harrison and his 19 goals in 3 seasons off the wing and so much more, they've (fingers crossed) possibly hit on 2 out of 4 managers (PH was basically a caretaker, never got a pre season, didn't get his own players, took over a squad that was stripped of form and especially fitness)

They've built a really good academy, they've added a very good U23's/21's set up. We have 2 ex managers/coaches currently top 9 in the Championship, one of those taking his tem from the relegation zone and some loanees playing well elsewhere

The critisisms of the board are ones of over expectation, the lack of funds being spent, or the over spend of funds. The last two contra-indicative. We've had the criticism of no depth followed by the criticism of adding depth....

As you say not perfect, we took a massive hit from the Bielsa sacking/Marsch appointment, which set us back a year or two. Not sure who's to blame for that, Niners, Rads/Orta and you have to factor in the fans especially on social media (and we know the board reacts to that hence, the badge debacle, JKA and the unwanted manager that we pulled out of signing after Marsch was let go. Already forgotten his name tbh)

You could argue the board should not be swayed by fan opinion and you'd be right but then the fans "want to be heard" ...another paradox...
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

faaip wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:11 pm No way in 1000 years would a team of clowns get promoted ahead of schedule from the championship.. Ridsdale, he was a clown, Bates was an asset stripper, GFH were clowns, Cellino was a nice clown... This board is probably the best since god knows when and almost certainly when it was a lot easier to run a football club...

Careful what you wish for, the next lot maybe another GFH, Bates or Ridsdale. This lot are doing a decent job in difficult circumstances.

I think those calling the board clowns are suffering from grass is greener syndrome ...
"Careful what you wish for" yet the 49ers look far more professional and competent that the current 3. They also put money in in January to try and help us stay up, unlike the egotistical owner, who has not put a penny in in 3 years and lumbered us with loans.

If we stay up, then it'll be exactly the same next year with those 3. Hoping to finish 17th on the cheap with no investment.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

SG90 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:21 pm "Careful what you wish for" yet the 49ers look far more professional and competent that the current 3. They also put money in in January to try and help us stay up, unlike the egotistical owner, who has not put a penny in in 3 years and lumbered us with loans.

If we stay up, then it'll be exactly the same next year with those 3. Hoping to finish 17th on the cheap with no investment.
How much have they put in in 4 years?
5 years?

I love how always narrow the parameters to suit your complaints... :lol:
'
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Irish Ian wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:37 pm How much have they put in in 4 years?
5 years?

I love how always narrow the parameters to suit your complaints... :lol:
Covering up the losses he made himself I presume. We went from a profit making Championship club in 7th place to a mid table club losing £20m in one season lol. We were saved by Bielsa working miracles.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Thought Archie had done something and it was being discussed when saw his thread bumped :)

But no.

The board aren't villains like some.

But they are chancers.

Highlighted by The fact within 6 months of taking over Radz had to go to a Venture Capital fund because he had underestimated the finance needed.

That isn't a man with a plan.

Everything is a That'll do attitude.

Hope for the best, keep costs low as possible.

Everything done on a wing and a prayer

They have elements of Cellino and Bates whilst not being quite as bad as the worst of the pair.
Last edited by Cjay on Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

SG90 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:21 pm "Careful what you wish for" yet the 49ers look far more professional and competent that the current 3. They also put money in in January to try and help us stay up, unlike the egotistical owner, who has not put a penny in in 3 years and lumbered us with loans.

And I'll be ok whenRads and Co step away from the club. Good job done... We move on, next man up. Personally I think they have invested heavily into the club at times....
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Cjay wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:47 pm Thought Archie had done something and it was being discussed when saw his thread bumped :)

But no.

The board aren't villains like some.

But they are chancers.

Highlighted by The fact within 6 months of taking over Radz had to go to a Venture Capital fund because he had underestimated the finance needed.

That isn't a man with a plan
But it is a man who is willing to adapt to find success.
And you make it like it is something wrong to seek investment in your enterprise.

A rule of business, dont spend your own money when you can spend someone else's.

And a chancer would have took the Arsenal route during lockdown when it came to employee wages.

It's not perfect but it is no where near as bad as you like to think it is.
'