General Chat

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

General Chat

Post by Sara »

Go on then, let's see if it takes off. Put all the off topic, nonsense discussion in here.
Last edited by Sara on Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: General Chat

Post by 1964white »

SaraM wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:16 am Go on then, let's see if it takes off. Put all the off topic, nonsense discussion in here.
Excellent Sara. :clap:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Anyone suffering with midge bites more than usual this summer?
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Lessons make you worse... agree, Faaip.

Like Jaydog, lessons nearly put me off playing music for life. There's the idea that you master the theory and technique, and then leave it behind to develop your own style, but I'm not sure it works like that.

Being self taught, I know I have certain limitations, which can be frustrating at times, but at least I can do my own thing. My Grandmother could sight read any piece of music you put in front of her, but take the music away and say, improvise in B flat, and she couldn't play a note.

Not sure how that applies to golf.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

1964white wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:22 am Anyone suffering with midge bites more than usual this summer?
No, I don't seem to have had any yet. I usually swell up and itch like mad with midges and mozzies, so not missing them.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Just opened the loft hatch to let the heat up. Seems to be working so far, but not sure if there'll come a point where it's too hot up there and the warm air comes back down... does that happen?
1964white

Post by 1964white »

SaraM wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:24 am No, I don't seem to have had any yet. I usually swell up and itch like mad with midges and mozzies, so not missing them.
Must be bad in this area as Jill has just been up the town to purchase & top up on toiletries/medicinal products. Calamine, antihistamine cream, bite spray, all out of stock in six stores.
Rook
First Team
First Team

Post by Rook »

Why do flies ALWAYS disappear when i get the fly spray out?
I smell blood and an era of prominent mad men - W.H. Auden
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

1964white wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:35 am Must be bad in this area as Jill has just been up the town to purchase & top up on toiletries/medicinal products. Calamine, antihistamine cream, bite spray, all out of stock in six stores.
Have you tried Avon Skin So Soft? It really does stop them from biting... something about it they really don't like. I use it when I remember...
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

...and it makes your skin SO soft!
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Rook wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:40 am Why do flies ALWAYS disappear when i get the fly spray out?
It's the rubber band for me... fly ninja!
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

"Yeah that's what Clapton said to me back in the day. "Good god Dog just plug it in and strum it man, it's bloody easy".
It's on my list when I retire this year (pretty please) but good to know it's not late.
Oh and learn a new language too. The bars quite high. Intentional leaving out of an A there. Im not using them anymore. Keep Ken busy"

Replying to JD here... what did Clapton know, eh? I don't rate him at all, and I do think he's an example of someone who's playing didn't really develop beyond his original proficiency with blues licks. Always find it funny that the riff he's best known for was played by Duane Allman.

Languages, I wish I could learn, but I lack the aptitude and dedication. I know a couple who teach themselves a new language every year or so, and they're fluent in at least a dozen.

I'm teaching myself ancient astrology, which is ferociously complicated. I reckon it'll take two or three years to get the basics.
AylingFlop
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by AylingFlop »

SaraM wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:53 am "Yeah that's what Clapton said to me back in the day. "Good god Dog just plug it in and strum it man, it's bloody easy".
It's on my list when I retire this year (pretty please) but good to know it's not late.
Oh and learn a new language too. The bars quite high. Intentional leaving out of an A there. Im not using them anymore. Keep Ken busy"

Replying to JD here... what did Clapton know, eh? I don't rate him at all, and I do think he's an example of someone who's playing didn't really develop beyond his original proficiency with blues licks. Always find it funny that the riff he's best known for was played by Duane Allman.

Languages, I wish I could learn, but I lack the aptitude and dedication. I know a couple who teach themselves a new language every year or so, and they're fluent in at least a dozen.

I'm teaching myself ancient astrology, which is ferociously complicated. I reckon it'll take two or three years to get the basics.
My wife’s an astrologer, not sure if she’s ever talked about ancient astrology. I must ask
AylingFlop
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by AylingFlop »

1964white wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:22 am Anyone suffering with midge bites more than usual this summer?
The midges haven’t been a problem, but the horse flies are massive & really go for it when I’m walking my dog along a bridleway that goes through a dairy farm. I think they must get bored with trying to bite the cows.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

AylingFlop wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:57 am My wife’s an astrologer, not sure if she’s ever talked about ancient astrology. I must ask
She'd possibly know it as Hellenistic astrology... if you mention names like Chris Brennan, Demetra George, Austin Coppock...
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

SaraM wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:43 am Have you tried Avon Skin So Soft? It really does stop them from biting... something about it they really don't like. I use it when I remember...
You beat me to it Sara. Its wonderful stuff, we always had a bottle on the boat for Summer sailing. Not a single bite once we'd applied it
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

SaraM wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:53 am "Yeah that's what Clapton said to me back in the day. "Good god Dog just plug it in and strum it man, it's bloody easy".

Not a language as such but I'm learning the deaf alphabet. I'm up to Q at the moment, hopefully sign language the next step
SnifferClarke
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by SnifferClarke »

Did you know ?

Pascal Struijk's middle name is Augustus

Had to google to check the spelling of Struijk

Always struggle with Gelheart as well .......
1964white

Post by 1964white »

SaraM wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:43 am Have you tried Avon Skin So Soft? It really does stop them from biting... something about it they really don't like. I use it when I remember...
No I haven't seen it as Jill doesn't have a Avon lady who use now to supply us with their products

Just ordered Avon Skin So Soft from Amazon, thanks Sara :tup:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:30 am You beat me to it Sara. Its wonderful stuff, we always had a bottle on the boat for Summer sailing. Not a single bite once we'd applied it
Thanks for confirming Sara's advice, Swannie :-D