Wilfried Gnonto

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Wilfried Gnonto

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:54 pm With Sinisterra and Summerville both wearing protective boots is this his chance to shine?

Sink or swim sort of thing?

Somebody will need to step up.
Has to be the choice, possesses the pace & running that Summerville/Sinisterra gives us
Pullhard
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Pullhard »

Will likely get plenty of game time in the two friendlies.

There’s a lot to like and hope he continues to make an impact.

Still seems more a second half replacement than a starter
Prisoner37
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Prisoner37 »

Willy Gnonto, Liverpool and Bouremouth, so much joy for so few minutes. Just hope he isn't treated like Joffey expected to produce with really limited play time.

He has really tight control and a really good one touch pass in his game that should suit Jesse's tight, narrow system. Trust him, play him I say.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Deserves a bump.

Hold my hands up, I wasn't convinced, not going to go overboard now either.

But he was a 1 man attack yesterday (until Joffy came on) whilst Aaronson flopped about and Rodrigo moved with all the speed of an asthmatic ant with some heavy shopping.

Really positive in his play and tried to make things happen.

Bet Marsch drops him though
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:49 pm Deserves a bump.

Hold my hands up, I wasn't convinced, not going to go overboard now either.

But he was a 1 man attack yesterday (until Joffy came on) whilst Aaronson flopped about and Rodrigo moved with all the speed of an asthmatic ant with some heavy shopping.

Really positive in his play and tried to make things happen.

Bet Marsch drops him though
I watched him for FC Zurich when he came on as a sub against Hearts. 15 minutes where he only got passed to 3 or 4 times but his quality and footballing intelligence shone through. Was delighted when I found out we had actually signed him on deadline day. Signing him as a result of Bamba Dieng (or whatever his name is) deciding not to come to us could well be the equivalent of Cuisance failing the medical and us getting Raphinha instead.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:49 pm Bet Marsch drops him though
Probably will because instead of playing at 100mph and trying to force a pass Gnonto uses his brain. That isn't needed in a JM team hence Klich is a peripheral figure.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

weasel wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:16 pm Probably will because instead of playing at 100mph and trying to force a pass Gnonto uses his brain. That isn't needed in a JM team hence Klich is a peripheral figure.
One of Gnonto/Summerville is going to the bench when Sinisterra returns... I don't see Gnonto as a 9 for some reason, could be wrong
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:14 pm I watched him for FC Zurich when he came on as a sub against Hearts. 15 minutes where he only got passed to 3 or 4 times but his quality and footballing intelligence shone through. Was delighted when I found out we had actually signed him on deadline day. Signing him as a result of Bamba Dieng (or whatever his name is) deciding not to come to us could well be the equivalent of Cuisance failing the medical and us getting Raphinha instead.
I watched him for Italy after we signed him him he was piss poor :)

If we sign someone like Gyorkares (my obsession this window) then I'm OK with Aaronson, Sinisterra, Summerville and Gnonto as support cast

But he did well yesterday and for a little bloke he got stuck in well.
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

faaip wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:23 pm One of Gnonto/Summerville is going to the bench when Sinisterra returns... I don't see Gnonto as a 9 for some reason, could be wrong
He is a second striker according to himself.
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:16 pm Probably will because instead of playing at 100mph and trying to force a pass Gnonto uses his brain. That isn't needed in a JM team hence Klich is a peripheral figure.
Was basing it on his comments post match about Harrison and Summerville.

It should be Summerville and Gnonto but I bet it won't be.
Signed

King Cjay

weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

faaip wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:23 pm One of Gnonto/Summerville is going to the bench when Sinisterra returns... I don't see Gnonto as a 9 for some reason, could be wrong
I don't see Gnonto as a 9 either. More of a forward player in a forward 3 like how Liverpool do it with the 3 forwards all chipping in with a healthy amount of goals. Would expect Gnonto to be more of an impact player from the bench for the near future but as he showed against City he can be lively from the start.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:33 pm I watched him for Italy after we signed him him he was piss poor :)

If we sign someone like Gyorkares (my obsession this window) then I'm OK with Aaronson, Sinisterra, Summerville and Gnonto as support cast

But he did well yesterday and for a little bloke he got stuck in well.
Maybe you have the same eye for talent that Orta does.....

Seriously though different people see different things which is why some scouts are no doubt better than others. I also saw him in an Italy game and he was poor, albeit his team mates failed to pass to him a few times when he was in good positions. In the Zurich game he did very little but you could see that he knew what he wanted to do and my feeling was that in a better team he would shine.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Club will apparently ask fans to change the words to the Wilfried Gnonto chant

Kick it out have also criticised it.

Bloody snowflakes (according to some on here)
Signed

King Cjay

Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

Cjay wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:49 pm Club will apparently ask fans to change the words to the Wilfried Gnonto chant

Kick it out have also criticised it.

Bloody snowflakes (according to some on here)
Didn’t they put something out before suggesting the words “he plays for United” replace the ‘offending line’.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

Anything like that chant is going to attract criticism and deservedly so in my opinion - those who think it’s ok will consider it a complement much like David Brent explaining his bread bin joke on the office. Worst thing is the usual types will continue to sing it much like the Saville songs they still find so hilarious.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Maybe in t' future, when the club buy a player, they give us fans a list of songs which we are allowed to sing, ones that will fit in more with boardroom acceptances !!
Or ask the player what tune /song they would prefer the fans to sing .
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
BradWhite
First Team
First Team

Post by BradWhite »

Gnonto, I'd prefer we praise his skills than his appendage, he clearly doesn't like it and it's embarrassing him.
Probably would be funny to a bunch of teenagers.

So here's mine, I might be showing my age here.
"WILLY GNONTO 🇮🇹
He drinks Moretti he eats spaghetti, ahhh Shaddap You Face.

Sorry
:whistle:
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

It don't bother me as I don't sing songs, I do however cheer the lads on, I do like to shout " get into em willy lad"
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

mentalcase wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:12 pm It don't bother me as I don't sing songs, I do however cheer the lads on, I do like to shout " get into em willy lad"
Then you go to the football? :)
Signed

King Cjay

mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Cjay wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:35 pm Then you go to the football? :)
Yea, that's normally out the bus window when I see dogs at it :tup: