Wilfried Gnonto

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Wilfried Gnonto- RUMOUR

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Cjay wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:28 pm The very reliable Italian football journalist Gianluca Di Marzio has said tonight that we are trying to sign 18 year old FC Zurich attacker Wilfried Gnonto for a fee of around £4-5mil.

He is a full Italy international and there youngest ever goalscorer.

Last season he shone in Switzerland for FC Zurich managing 10 goals and 5 assists in all competitions in just in just 17 minutes worth of matches.

He is very versatile and can play anywhere across the forward line.

Stands only 5ft 5 but is known for his pace and dribbling ability.

He has long been tipped for stardom and turned down a contract at Inter to ensure he got first team football.

He is however largely unproven and very small in stature which will cause concern.
Should have great resale value ;-)
Zurich White
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Zurich White »

Jaydog wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:03 pm Yeah ZW, I saw the highlights reel and was surprised by that header. He leapt like a small trout, I’d say salmon but that would be stretching the truth a little. Anyway joking aside I’d give him a go for the money. At least then we won’t endlessly (fingers crossed emoji) be linked with every striker on earth.
Small trout is about right.
Nevertheless a fantastic asset to have, especially if your main assets are speed, dribbling, low centre of gravity, and an instinct to score.
Makes defending against him more difficult as well.

For 5 million it wouldn't be too much of a gamble.
He would get double figures in goals scored if played regularly, no doubt.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

THanks for the great info ZW. Everything sounds promising about him - albeit the attittude problem is a little concerning but equally can be a positive in that he sounds like he wants to prove himself so would likely give his all even if he sees us as a stepping stone. I think sometimes though we forget how childish we could be at the same age he is now. When I saw Haaland interviewed (after the West Ham game) he seemed just like a big kid and he's 22.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Attitude will be a problem if he sulks coz he'll definitely go and play for the reserves first, and you know what happens these days if they feel they're there too long.

Dummy spit out.
Pacifier spit out.

I'm starting to feel we've been down this road with our resident clown before.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Zurich White
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Zurich White »

weasel wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:35 am THanks for the great info ZW. Everything sounds promising about him - albeit the attittude problem is a little concerning but equally can be a positive in that he sounds like he wants to prove himself so would likely give his all even if he sees us as a stepping stone. I think sometimes though we forget how childish we could be at the same age he is now. When I saw Haaland interviewed (after the West Ham game) he seemed just like a big kid and he's 22.
You're welcome, weasel.

He came to Zurich from the Academy at Inter in the Autumn of 2020, and on his arrival here nobody could believe it.
Zurich had just got Italy's Under 19 Captain for free, from Inter Milan!

Of course it was full in COVID times, and the World was going mental, but it was still an amazing coup.

On his debut, as a sub, the first thing he did was to give away a free-kick, which led to Zurich conceding a goal, but 10 minutes later he'd got his first goal, from a long shot ( which sadly was taken away from him, as it touched another Zurich striker on the way in ).
but you could see this guy had it all.

Our Mini-Balotelli had arrived.

He was very emotional at the start here, and in one of the following games Zurich were playing Servette, and Gnonto almost scored the winner, hitting the post with a few minutes to go, and then Servette countered and got the winner. Gnonto left the pitch very emotional, there were tears, etc., but luckily Zurich's Captain, Blerim Dzemaili, a full International with years of experience in Italy, was looking after him.
Dzemaili took him under his wing, and they shared a car to the away games when, due to COVID, the players couldn't travel by bus.
This helped him settle, and his career last season took off.

Zurich had been awful for the last 3 years, with low finishes in the League, but last season Zurich, with their new manager, Andre Breitenreiter, walked through the League, winning the Championship with games to spare, and Willy was the super-sub par excellence.

It was clear that he would be off this Summer, and us fans just wanted to enjoy Willy before the inevitable transfer abroad.

This Summer we was chosen to play for Italy, by Mancini, and scored goals and was immediately praised by the Italian Media as their new Saviour.
Italy had failed to qualify for the World Cup, and so the whole Nation needed a 'new Hero', and up steps Willy.
The perfect new player to believe in.
Always smiling, full of self-confidence, a perfect mascot for the team.

So, the 4th June, 2022, Italy v Germany.
Willy on the bench.
The whole of Zurich watching the game, hoping that he comes on.
Italy got taken apart by Germany, then, suddenly, there he was warming up on the side-lines.
Then he came on. Nr. 11, Willy Gnonto, playing on the right wing.
15 minutes later and the dream debut was reality!
Gnonto set up a goal for Italy, and he'd arrived, and we knew he'd gone.

https://twitter.com/FootballReprt/statu ... 2901964800

10 days later he scored his 1st goal for the Azzuri, again versus Germany, albeit in a 5-2 humbling, but the whole World was now sitting up and taking notice.

After his performances for the Italian National team there followed the Under 19 Championships, in the middle of June, and the FCZ President refused to allow Gnonto to play, as he'd already been away with the full National side, and this was the beginning of the end of his 'happy time' here.
His father ( and agent ) went to the press, angry that Willy had been denied the chance to participate there...
https://twitter.com/IFTVofficial/status ... 65349.html

On to this Season, and Zurich, after winning the League with ease last season, have had a 'mare.
Lost their trainer, Breitenreiter, to Hoffenheim, got a new one in, Franco Foda, ex-Austrian Coach, and the whole art of playing, formations, etc., have been changed.
An absolute clusterfuck of a start for the whole team.
Just one goal in the last 5 league games, and that a very lucky equaliser against Winterthur, the promoted team, and Gnonto is quite clearly frustrated with the situation at the moment.
Zurich got knocked out by Qarabag in the CL qualifiers, then beat Linfield in the Euro League qualis, and now have a game on Thursday against Hearts, to get into the Europa League group.
Zurich are bottom of the League, and are in free-fall, and Willy's value is sinking with every game.

Our President was talking about 'at least 10 million Euros' a few weeks ago, and now it looks like 4 million will seal the deal.
Great business for Leeds it this can be realised.
Would make me very happy as well to see Willy at Leeds.

Just a word of caution...

My brother supports West Ham as his English team, and they are now very interested in Gnonto.
This scenario, with Willy going to the cocky, cheerful, cockney c*&"s would be my Worst-Case-Scenario.

Make it happen, Leeds.

Sign him up.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Reminds me of Rod Wallace, low centre of gravity, strong, fast and scores / assists, very tricky like JG, the price is about right.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Zurich White
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Zurich White »

mentalcase wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:24 am Reminds me of Rod Wallace, low centre of gravity, strong, fast and scores / assists, very tricky like JG, the price is about right.
Rod Wallace is pretty spot-on
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Strong praise indeed Zurich, you've sold him to me, biggest problem? Our clown doesn't tend to spot real talent and could easily overlook him, he's probably a cracker this kid, but the clown won't see it.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Zurich White wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:51 pm He is really tiny, for sure, but incredibly he scored a couple of headers last season, and is a superb athlete.

Last season he was mainly used as a super-sub, and was devastatingly effective.
Played mainly as a left winger cutting inside, but can play all across the forward line.

He was also Captain of the Italian U19s, and has scored against the full German National team...

He can definitely play.
Welcome to MOT, Zurich :tup:
BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

Zurich White wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:12 am
Our Mini-Balotelli had arrived.
Pocket Mario.... :roflmao:
Football/Futbol/Soccer
Zurich White
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Zurich White »

1964white wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:01 pm Welcome to MOT, Zurich :tup:
Thanks.

So, a bit of news I just heard in a podcast, it's in Swiss German, but I'll link it, just for verification...
https://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/dritte-hal ... 1691338278
Someone will hear it and translate it into English soon enough though.

Thomas Schifferle, a Swiss journalist, said he talked to the FCZ President and asked him about Gnonto to Leeds, and the answer came back that there is an official offer from a Club from England - he didn't specify from whom - on the table, but there were 2 things that had stunned/shocked him with it...

1) the amount offered fell way below his valuation, and...
2) the fact that they wanted to pay the fee in instalments.

Zurich are playing on Thursday against Hearts in a Euro qualifier, will be interesting to see what happens in the build- up to this game, but there is definitely something to this story.

I'm guessing it's just a formality ( agreeing on the money ) between the Clubs now.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Zurich White wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:17 pm Thanks.

So, a bit of news I just heard in a podcast, it's in Swiss German, but I'll link it, just for verification...

Thomas Schifferle, a Swiss journalist, said he talked to the FCZ President and asked him about Gnonto to Leeds, and the answer came back that there is an official offer from a Club from England - he didn't specify from whom - on the table, but there were 2 things that had stunned/shocked him with it...

Zurich are playing on Thursday against Hearts in a Euro qualifier, will be interesting to see what happens in the build- up to this game, but there is definitely something to this story.

I'm guessing it's just a formality ( agreeing on the money ) between the Clubs now.
Would be guessing the President is still hoping to get the valuation you said he had for him previously.
Would deffo appear to be us if the club is wanting to pay in installements. I wonder if we are wanting to do that in case Barca somehow don't pay us and obviously the JKA situation likely means we want to have some money in the bank as if we have to pay that fee I would imagine we'd have to pay upfront.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Zurich White wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:17 pm Thanks.

Sounds like another dead end, then
Zurich White
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Zurich White »

Re Willy Gnonto - allegedly the offer from Leeds was 2.5 Million

Now, I'm at the game, so haven't got which currency it's in, but not so much diff between CHF, Euros and Sterling

I'm going to say it's Pounds..

Our President stated earlier that he wamnts at least double figures, so I'm guessing there's a waiting gmae until the end of the month
Overman
Manager
Manager

Post by Overman »

Why are folk even commenting on this, it's not going to happen more bullshit.
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

Overman wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:44 pm Why are folk even commenting on this, it's not going to happen more bullshit.
Naff all else going on in the transfer front Overman. Could say the same about this one too. I'm firmly in the camp that we need another striker and LB but I'd be surprised if we see one of those, never mind both. Gnonto would be the ideal signing given we're a stepping stone club. I think he could push Bamford and Rodrigo hard but not upset the dressing room> My only wish would be for him to be a taller striker, but in the videos I've seen he is a strong player for his size and can hold a ball up well.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Would guess out offer was something along the lines of an initial £2.5m and then add ons.

The Hearts v Zuirch match is avaialble to watch on the BBC, Gnonto on the bench at present.13 minutes in,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/62552754
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Gnonto is on - 15 minutes remaining.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:32 pm Gnonto is on - 15 minutes remaining.
Do anything?
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Had 3 dribbles - on two of them he was brought down with bookings each time to the Heart's players, on the third run he put in a great cross across the 6 yard box that nobody tapped home.

Certainly no sense of any 'attitude' problems. He worked hard defensively, coming back into his half often and pressing players so think in that sense he would fit in well.

Looks quick and looks like he loves running at players. Like Hadi Sacko but with a football brain. Did enough to impress me even though he didn't see much of the ball. I think he would excite the crowd at ER when coming on.