The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 15th August) Leeds let two goal lead slip at St Mary's

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 15th August) Leeds let two goal lead slip at St Mary's

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Monday 15th August, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Leeds let two goal lead slip at St Mary's

Leeds missed out on the chance to climb to second in the table, as Southampton came from two goals down to grab a share of the spoils, in the souring 34 degree heat; the hottest day in Premier League history.

Jesse Marsch's Leeds dominated much of the first half, without having much to show for it. Bamford, James (who came on for Bamford on 28 mins), Harrison and Kristensen all had decent chances to break the deadlock in the first 45 minutes. Although few and far between, Southampton's best chance came on 30 minutes, when Llorente had to be at his best to deny Armstrong a one on one with Meslier. The home fans were baying for blood, but replays showed his sliding challenge was perfectly executed.

Leeds were rewarded for their hard work just thirty seconds after the interval. Harrison's low cross from the byline was glanced home by Rodrigo at the near post (a tactic the Whites had clearly rehearsed, having already tried it several times in the first half). They doubled their tally on the hour mark. Arronson's inswinging corner was met by Struijk. The ball looked destined for the top upright, but Rodrigo had to make sure. That's six goals in three games (if you count the Cagliari match).

With energy levels wavering, Saints boss Ralph HasenhuttL made three changes, and it proved Leeds undoing. With 18 minutes left on the clock, Armstrong burst down the left wing before crossing the ball low and hard into the Leeds penalty area towards Aribo. The Nigerian midfielder kept his composure, rounded Meslier before finding the back of the net, much to the anguish of three Leeds defenders on the goal line.

The goal was the shot in the arm the home side needed, and whilst Leeds began to fade, the host grew stronger and more confident. Nine minutes later, they were level. Mara's through ball carved the Leeds defence in half, and Walker-Peters made no mistake at the far post. It was only in the closing stages that Marsch bought on some substitutions, but it was far too late to influence the game!

Marsch plays down striker injuries

Social media went into meltdown at the weekend, but it had nothing to do with the weather conditions! Prior to kick-off, Leeds' supporters were anxious to find out why Joe Gelhardt had been omitted from the match day squad. Anxiety turned to panic when Patrick Bamford limped off after 28 minutes; and thousands of fans took to Twitter in their droves to vent their frustrations.

Both players have had lengthy spells on the sidelines in the past twelve months, and whilst Victor Orta continuous to search valiantly for a marquee signing up front, time is quickly running out. There are sixteen days left of the present transfer window remaining, and whilst Leeds have a supposed £40m kitty, finding the right player has eluded them all Summer! Marsch's post match comments that both injuries are not too serious should reassure fans that both players should be back in action in a week or two. Leeds have 5 games in the next 19 days! According to Marsch...

Joffy had a dead leg and with a bunch of midweek games coming up we didn't want to push him. He'll be training this week, I think Patrick will be training too. Patrick is not bad. He felt a little tightness in his adductor. I've challenged him to be honest with us. He felt like he wasn't 100%. I think he made the right decision to come off. If it's a cup final, I think he plays.

Leeds confident of Italian International capture

Italian Sports Journalist Gianluca Di Marzio has claimed that Leeds are confident they can capture Zurich forward Wilfried Gnonto during the Summer transfer window. The 18 year old has broken into Roberto Mancini's Italian squad this year, winning four International Caps. He came through the ranks at Inter Milan before joining Zurich two years ago. In the Swiss Super League last season, he netted 8 times (and 3 assists) in 33 appearances. He also scored 2 goals and provided 2 assists in 3 Swiss Cup appearances. According to Di Marzio, Gnonto is available for between €4m - €5m.

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 15th August) Leeds let two goal lead slip at St Mary's

Post by 1964white »

Other clubs can find strikers.

This scenario is similar to not signing a midfielder for four years.

Time for Orta & his scouts to get their act together.
pjm2019
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 15th August) Leeds let two goal lead slip at St Mary's

Post by pjm2019 »

Time for JM to wake up during games, we the fans all saw the need ti bring on subs to replace fading players but not him !!!!

Time for Orta to leave, we have been needing a number 9 for well over a year. We have also been looking for a left back for over 3 months
Best 11, for next season everyone fit - Meslier/ - Kristensen - Cooper - Koch- Hielde/- Adams - Dallas/ Aaronson--Harrison
/Gelhardt – Bamford
Bench - Klaeson -Ayling –Struilk--Forshaw - Sinisterra -- James-roca
billysboots
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by billysboots »

Does it have to be a “marquee signing “?
We need an experienced centre forward, a presence in box, that is obvious.
Would a 10 or 12 goals a season man be enough for us?
There Is Only One United.
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip »

pjm2019 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:46 am Time for JM to wake up during games, we the fans all saw the need ti bring on subs to replace fading players but not him !!!!

Time for Orta to leave, we have been needing a number 9 for well over a year. We have also been looking for a left back for over 3 months
lol. No it's not
Cry Summerville and let slip the dogs of war

PRO Leeds ... Are You?

THE LAST REMAINING ORTA/RADS FAN
1964white

Post by 1964white »

billysboots wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:51 am Does it have to be a “marquee signing “?
We need an experienced centre forward, a presence in box, that is obvious.
Would a 10 or 12 goals a season man be enough for us?
Yes it would be enough :tup:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Emmanuel Dennis scored ten goals in a poor Watford team last season.

Forest have snapped him up for £20m.

Maybe we should be looking for a higher grade striker :duno:
Chilli D
Manager
Manager

Post by Chilli D »

Someone from a lower level like the Championship is much more viable regarding getting another striker. Someone happy to make the step up knowing they are unlikely to play every week but be a squad player.
That's why the links to Sarr and Pedro hold more water.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
mentalcase
Manager
Manager

Post by mentalcase »

Morning all.
I'm still furious about chucking away a 2 goal lead, a 2 goal advantage against a poor southampton side, could, and should, have been 4 up, but once again, lack of finishing cost us dearly.
If we can't keep a 0-2 lead against them, what does it say about our future, I've already stated on numerous threads my concern regards defending and not putting our chances away at the other end, if I, and others can see it on a weekly basis, why can't the manager and his staff.
Flaming furious about it, that wasn't just a blip because of the heat either, that was pisspoor management and game planning, everyone could see it nneded fresh legs, they did it, we stagnated.
Then there's the deficiency at the back, too lightweight, up front, bamford, oh my word, once again, resting on our laurels thinking the messiah is back, does a lot of running with no end product, like the fella who replaced him, then when I see forshaw coming on to regain our winning position, shake my head in pure despair.
If we'd have come back from 2-0 down then fair enough, 0-2 up, dear oh dear.
Chelsea will humiliate us again on sunday and so will brighton game after.
Keep Fighting
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

There’s no doubt Marsch got it as wrong on Saturday as he got it right the previous Saturday. Even watching on a poor stream I could see the need for fresh legs to counter Soton’s fresh legs but he just simply left it till it was too late. I hope that, tactically, the previous week’s will be the norm and that Saturday’s was just an aberration!

Gnonto doesn’t look to be particularly prolific but there again the price is not too prolific either - although for an 18 year old I’m not too sure. I’m easy either way on this one tbh.
Irish Ian
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Irish Ian »

Morning Folks..

Not every club has been able to find a striker that easily.

Gnonto.. I suppose if we go down that route we may as well promote Joseph?
With Bamford on the verge of breakdown it seems and Joffy the same I feel Lerds will have to go large or not at all.
Free agent Andrea Belotti will end up at Wolves.. r Roma...I'd like him. Fit as a fiddle and will run all day.

Cmon Victor put down your Shoot album and give his agent a bell.
'We can wait for the next game with serenity' Marcelo Bielsa

'Would he kill his granny to win a match?' Bobby Collins

"Anyone need a hug? Jesse Marsch
Victor_Notts-17
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Victor_Notts-17 »

Why the heck are we looking at an 18 year old (again)?

We need to stop phannying about and go get Diaz or Watkins. I'd love Ollie Watkins here...
Guitar tech https://www.facebook.com/ngoneseven / guitarist / song writer / church leader / husband / father / grandfather / Leeds fan / postman...
WestgateRun
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by WestgateRun »

When you are 2-0 up away from home on 70 mins, there is nothing wrong with protecting your lead and killing the game. That's what the Lionesses did in extra time, and according to the BBC they are the greatest football team ever!
Get the points and get on the bus.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

WestgateRun wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:51 am When you are 2-0 up away from home on 70 mins, there is nothing wrong with protecting your lead and killing the game. That's what the Lionesses did in extra time, and according to the BBC they are the greatest football team ever!
Get the points and get on the bus.

It is easy to see why JM didn't make the changes at 2-0 (60 minute mark) as up till that point we were playing well. However it was obvious within 5 minutes of us going 2-0 up that Southampton had got well on top so that was when changes should certainly have been at the very least thought about (and at that point it was around the 65th minute mark so still a few minutes before Saints got their first goal).

Saints started getting momentum a good few minutes before the goal and we did nothing to snuff it out or wrestle it back. As such Saints momentum built culminating in them scoring (71 min). This then gave them even more belief and more momentum and yet we still refused to bring fresh legs on, instead confusing tired minds by sending notes and changing the formation to unbalance ourselves - by changing our left winger to playing left back simply gave their right back, Walker-Peters, no one to mark meaning he could simply go forward and score.

So in conclusion JM made errors by not bringing on subs and also by a tactical switch which backfired completely.
Marsching on Together
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Victor_Notts-17 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:49 am Why the heck are we looking at an 18 year old (again)?

We need to stop phannying about and go get Diaz or Watkins. I'd love Ollie Watkins here...
It would appear that despite his age he is used to playing first team football, I believe he also has 4 caps for the full Italian national team and 1 international goal, against Germany. As such it would make perfect sense in that he probably wouldn't expect to start every match but could play up top in the absence of PB and JG and also be a good option to cover the wings or be an influential substitute. Would seem a sensible option for the money rather than pay £20m+ for someone like Brereton-Diaz who may not be able to make the step up and is more limited to his role meaning we have either him or PB sitting on the bench if they are both fit (JG too).

Italy Coach Roberto Mancini had this to say about Gnonto

Mancini discussed teenage talent Gnonto and what advice he’d give him.

“He is a boy, he is 18 years old and he should not be put under too much pressure. He has to grow quietly. For his age, he knows how to play football like few other players and is very fast.

“If he grows calmly, without too much pressure on him, he can show his important qualities and he is an intelligent boy, he can grow. His best role is second striker, but he can also play on the wing.”

Additionally it appears that he was the second highest scoring substitute in Europe across 2021/22. This would suggest a great option from the bench (and that he would probably be happy to be a sub and start a few matches) as well as starting when needed. Looks a very good fit as it appears PB was taking off more as a precaution than a serious injury blow.
Marsching on Together
andrewjohnsmith
Manager
Manager

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Victor_Notts-17 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:49 am Why the heck are we looking at an 18 year old (again)?

An 18 year old that's already been capped 4 times by Italy !!

Seems like a fantastic potential signing to me
We've been through it all together. And we've had our ups and downs
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:20 pm An 18 year old that's already been capped 4 times by Italy !!

Seems like a fantastic potential signing to me
Being capped 4 times by Italy also goes far beyond the old tactic of capping a young player early on in their career so that they couldn't play for another country if they were of dual nationality - liked what happened with Tomas Christiansen when he got his one cap for Spain as a promising youngster.

It shows that Mancini sees him as more than just a promising player for the future.
Marsching on Together
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

That young Italian lad looks worth a punt for very little money. Mancini is a good judge of a player; if he's capped him, then he must be decent. Yes, he's only young, but if it's depth we want, then I'd go for him. If it's a starter, then I'd like to see us go after Watkins
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
BlackHillsPaul
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

weasel wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:42 am It is easy to see why JM didn't make the changes at 2-0 (60 minute mark) as up till that point we were playing well. However it was obvious within 5 minutes of us going 2-0 up that Southampton had got well on top so that was when changes should certainly have been at the very least thought about (and at that point it was around the 65th minute mark so still a few minutes before Saints got their first goal).

Saints started getting momentum a good few minutes before the goal and we did nothing to snuff it out or wrestle it back. As such Saints momentum built culminating in them scoring (71 min). This then gave them even more belief and more momentum and yet we still refused to bring fresh legs on, instead confusing tired minds by sending notes and changing the formation to unbalance ourselves - by changing our left winger to playing left back simply gave their right back, Walker-Peters, no one to mark meaning he could simply go forward and score.

So in conclusion JM made errors by not bringing on subs and also by a tactical switch which backfired completely.
I hated the tactical switch to 5 in the back. Way too negative and frankly uncharacteristic for JM. The way to protect the lead is to make substitutions to get fresh legs on and continue to take the game to the opponent. I think Jesse overthought his player management in this one. He didn't want to give Sinisterra more than 15 minutes because he is coming off a knock. And he knew that Roca would be pissed if he got subbed off on the hour mark again. Even though it was obvious he was gassed. Jesse needs to be the gaffer in these moments. Not everyones buddy...
Football/Futbol/Soccer
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

BlackHillsPaul wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:03 pm I hated the tactical switch to 5 in the back. Way too negative and frankly uncharacteristic for JM. The way to protect the lead is to make substitutions to get fresh legs on and continue to take the game to the opponent. I think Jesse overthought his player management in this one. He didn't want to give Sinisterra more than 15 minutes because he is coming off a knock. And he knew that Roca would be pissed if he got subbed off on the hour mark again. Even though it was obvious he was gassed. Jesse needs to be the gaffer in these moments. Not everyones buddy...
The concern is that the going defensive tactic nearly cost us last season v Norwich, a game we were in front and cruising then made changes and nearly paid the price. It makes me wonder whether the switch v Wolves, Klich coming on for Rodrigo, may have actually been a defensive switch with JM trying to hang on to the point we had by sacrificing a striker for an extra midfielder (he then saw Klich's introduction had completely changed the game and brought Greenwood on for Roca to try to capitalise).
Marsching on Together