The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 22nd September) - Cooper: I don't ever want to be in that situation ever again

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 22nd September) - Cooper: I don't ever want to be in that situation ever again

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Thursday 22nd September, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

I don't ever want to be in that situation ever again - Cooper

Liam Cooper has spoken of the mental torture both he, and his fellow teammates, were under last season, as they came within a hare's breath of relegation. He relived the final day of last season, claiming the entire dressing room had a siege mentality, and were focused to prove the World wrong, and they could escape the Premier League trap door. Although jubilant after the final whistle, the Leeds skipper insists he never wants to be in a position like that again, for the rest of his career!

Of course it's difficult. The thing for me was obviously we were as gutted as the lads playing. I always try and put myself in Stu's situation [Stuart Dallas] and people - think how bad they must have felt. Being a footballer the worst thing that can happen to you is an injury and you're not able to play for a sustained amount of time."

It was hard to understand the situation we were in and that got worse and worse throughout the season. We never got going - to our previous season - at one stage during the season. When Jesse came in we went on that little run and in the end I think that saved us. I think we had ten points from his first six or seven games. When it comes down to it and when you look back on it, that sort of saved us. We knew there was a run of games coming up, where we played the top three or four and they're always difficult.

Obviously anything can happen but we didn't really give ourselves a chance in those games with the red cards. I remember [Luke Ayling] getting sent off at Arsenal, I followed him straight down the tunnel and said 'What happened and what were you doing?'

He looked at me and said 'Coops, I don't know what I was doing. I've never tackled like that in my life, in my career.' all you can put it down to is the stress. The stress of the situation and the situation we were in, it does crazy things to you and it makes you make crazy decisions. "But that was the way it was. We accepted it. The worst thing you can do in that situation is start finger pointing and blaming people. We knew we were in it and we were in it together.

I think the whole world had wrote us off and had us going down in the last game of the season. Yeah, we had to have a bit of a siege mentality and go out there and prove people wrong. We did it in an unbelievable way, but I said straight after the game I don't ever want to be in that situation ever again in my life. My poor Mrs and kids, they got it in the last three games of the season. God bless them. I feel sorry for them I had to give them a big kiss and a cuddle and say everything's alright now.

Perkins scores on three Lions U19 Debut

Sonny Perkins marked his England U19 debut with a goal, as the Three Lions ran out 2-0 victors over Montenegro. Perkins started alongside Darko Gyabi, who was also making his first appearance for the U19s. Perkins in particular has hit the ground running, since arriving from West Ham in the Summer, having turned down a professional contract with the Hammers. He has already scored six goals in five games for Leeds U21s.

Should Gelhardt have been sent out on loan

Between them, Sonny Perkins (6 goals) and Mateo Joseph (5 goals) are on course to take Premier League 2 by storm. Whilst their fledging careers are souring high beyond expectation, back down to earth, fellow teammate Joe Gelhardt's progression continues to stutter. Perkins and Joseph are two years younger than Gelhardt, and are making ground on the former Wigan Academy prodigy. Has too much pressure been heaped on Joffy at an early age, or was he wraped up too much in cotton wool?

Was his confidence dented last season by spending much of it warming the bench, despite Leeds horrific injury worries? Should he have joined a Championship club on loan this Summer, where he would have got 90 minutes every week? With the arrival of Wilfried Gnonto (another 18yo), Gelhardt could be pushed further down the pecking order!

Bamford hails quartet

During a recent interview, Patrick Bamford hailed the club's academy, claiming 'the future looks promising'.
The 29 year old singled out four players in particular (Summerville, Gyabi, Gnonto and Perkins) having played alongside the quartet during their 6-2 win over Southampton last week.

Cry’s [Crysencio Summerville] a really good player and we see that in training all the time. I think the next step for him is showing that in the first team when he gets on. Then obviously you’ve got young players like Darko Gyabi and Willy Gnonto who is new, and did really well, then Sonny as well who is a good player and scored a great finish.

The future looks promising, but then there is also the learning side of it as well because there is no way we should have conceded two at the end. So I think there is a learning curve and they’d have taken a lot away from the game.

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 22nd September) - Cooper: I don't ever want to be in that situation ever again

Post by 1964white »

Cooper's humility is so refreshing in today's modern game where so many players are up their own ar*es whom only care about their salaries!

No, Gelhardt shouldn't go out on loan, what with our injury prone forwards Bamford & Rodrigo, we needed to be strengthening in that area of our first team squad, not weakening it.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 22nd September) - Cooper: I don't ever want to be in that situation ever again

Post by Kennyb41 »

Aye, us fans were in a similar stressful position ourselves Coops.

We didn't have 48m dangling in front of us either to ease the discomfort, we just had to grin n bear it.

Did the 48m play any part in you overcoming the pain barrier and deciding when you could return and help hold the fort ?
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

What did they get in the last 3 games. Does Liam take it out on them when we lose. s**t a brick I’d be off love. What’s that you say Liam darling, 48 million. Fire away.
Send Joe out on loan. That would just be plain silly.
Isn’t he our impact player off the bench
VinnysTattoo
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by VinnysTattoo »

Do players really go through the ringer like we do?

Gelhardt out on loan is not a luxury we can afford given our fragile front line.

I hope Gnonto gets up to speed because I have a feeling we are going to need him
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Nice to hear how it was inside the dressing room.

Bonuses or not those lads didn't want to let themselves down by getting us relegated, and they came through in the end.

Perkins... I haven't had the luxury of seeing too much of him but he sounds like a good un. Grads young man on your goal.

Joffy. I'm worried about him. Not sure how many minutes he has had but he hasn't been on it... This should be his big season but so far I haven't seen him do much... Would a loan improve him? Doubtful. But he needs a goal.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

Footballers in the Premier league really need help with the media. All the time. Every time they open their mouths.

Someone should sit down with Cooper and say "look, it's fine to talk about the stress your family is going through, but you're on £40,000 a week. And while money doesn't cure stress, there are people out there who will not sleep tonight because they don't know how to feed their kids tomorrow."

I would never attack Leeds footballers over their wages, they are underpaid compared to most in the PL...but I won't play a violin for their stresses either.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Mildlyanarchic wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:20 am WRINGER !
Don’t you just hait a spilling mistoke.
I’d shite the boogers tbh
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Irish Ian wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:29 am Nice to hear how it was inside the dressing room.

Bonuses or not those lads didn't want to let themselves down by getting us relegated, and they came through in the end.

Perkins... I haven't had the luxury of seeing too much of him but he sounds like a good un. Grads young man on your goal.

Joffy. I'm worried about him. Not sure how many minutes he has had but he hasn't been on it... This should be his big season but so far I haven't seen him do much... Would a loan improve him? Doubtful. But he needs a goal.
Like Bamford, Joe had an interrupted pre-season & start to the season with injuries.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

1964white wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:03 pm Like Bamford, Joe had an interrupted pre-season & start to the season with injuries.
It’s bonkers to think some might right Joe off or send him out on loan. I think he’s quality, a real goal scorer who’s had a rough time recently. All strikers go through that. Mind you I hope some of the aforementioned hit the mark. You can’t have too many goal scorers.
Right off above for the spellchecker 😂
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Joe would've been 'off the mark' this season but Coops got in the way forget who it was against.

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk

andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

BGwhite wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:01 pm Joe would've been 'off the mark' this season but Coops got in the way ImageImage forget who it was against.

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk
I know the one you're referring to but can't recall when. Cooper hasn't played this season.

Gelhardt was really unlucky against Everton. Pickford made a blinding save that looked a dead cert goal.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

1964white wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:37 am Cooper's humility is so refreshing in today's modern game where so many players are up their own ar*es whom only care about their salaries!

No, Gelhardt shouldn't go out on loan, what with our injury prone forwards Bamford & Rodrigo, we needed to be strengthening in that area of our first team squad, not weakening it.
Cooper is a great club captain. We're not privy to the discussions. But you just get the feeling he has the respect of everybody in the dressing room. It's no surprise that we just look a better team when he plays.

And agree on Gelhardt too. Perkins is a season behind him in terms of development (Joseph, probably 2 seasons). Sending Cresswell out on loan was an easier decision with 4 more senior CB's. A loan might be better for Joffy's development but that would make us significantly weaker up front.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:53 pm Cooper is a great club captain. We're not privy to the discussions. But you just get the feeling he has the respect of everybody in the dressing room. It's no surprise that we just look a better team when he plays.

And agree on Gelhardt too. Perkins is a season behind him in terms of development (Joseph, probably 2 seasons). Sending Cresswell out on loan was an easier decision with 4 more senior CB's. A loan might be better for Joffy's development but that would make us significantly weaker up front.
Good to see we agree on Cooper/Gelhardt, also have a similar view with the likes of Perkins, Joseph & Gray's future, I believe their time will come beyond this season.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Jaydog wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:29 pm It’s bonkers to think some might right Joe off or send him out on loan. I think he’s quality, a real goal scorer who’s had a rough time recently. All strikers go through that. Mind you I hope some of the aforementioned hit the mark. You can’t have too many goal scorers.
Right off above for the spellchecker 😂
You could say Joe did enough to keep us up last season with his impact sub appearances vs Wolves & Norwich.