Victor Orta Interview

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Victor Orta Interview

Post by Cjay »

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... hat-makes/

Victor Orta is the first to admit it. “I’m a geek,” he says. “And I’m not ashamed of it. My lifelong friends have been telling me that for many years.” 

Today, Orta is Leeds United’s director of football, one of the most influential men in the game. Yet his journey in football began in the same way that it does for millions of others: collecting World Cup sticker albums.

It started at Mexico ’86, when his brothers would test young Victor on the players in his album. Then, as a teenager, he created his own database – a far less common pastime then than it is now – and after working in the media, landed a job at Spanish side Valladolid aged just 25. 

Now 43, Orta has a CV that has taken in Sevilla, Zenit St Petersburg, Elche, Middlesbrough and now Leeds, where he is credited with helping rebuild the club.

Orta rarely gives interviews, but he talks Telegraph Sport through the painful decision to sack Marcelo Bielsa, why Jesse Marsch is the right man for Leeds and his optimism for the future despite a chaotic transfer window in which the club lost its two best players.

A director of football rarely has easy days but, for Orta, one must stand out above all others: February 27, 2022.

In Marcelo Bielsa, a fellow workaholic, Orta found a kindred spirit. Together, they masterminded promotion back to the Premier League.

Then Orta sacked him.

“There was no particular moment when confidence was lost,” the Spaniard says. “There was a feeling that a change was needed and we went for it. Marcelo is and always will be Leeds history, his legacy will be eternal. 

“He is the greatest manager in the club's modern era. It was a very complicated and tough decision to make, mentally difficult to manage. But it worked.”

Dismissing Bielsa was unpopular. The Argentine had become part of the fabric of the city, where he had been honoured with a street named after him. Following his sacking, which came in the wake of heavy defeats to Liverpool and Tottenham, fans directed their anger towards the directors' box, something Orta understands.

“It's logical for people to chant and protest when they are unhappy. Everything affects them. It hurts, but it's normal. I understand that the chants will be different now. You have to accept it as part of the rollercoaster that is football,” he adds.

Orta remains convinced that it was the right decision: “Clubs have to deal in a real way with all the influence of the environment, but also the fans have to know that all decisions are made for the good of the club.”

Jesse Marsch's arrival followed many nights of reflection in Leeds' Thorp Arch offices.

The club had been preparing for Bielsa’s succession for some time, something all parties assumed would come later rather than sooner, but the team’s drift towards danger expedited matters.

“We had already started to analyse different profiles,” Orta reveals. “All we did was to bring the process forward. Jesse Marsch was one of the favourites, he was without a team at the time, and we decided on him.”

The young coach from Wisconsin had forged his career in the United States, Germany and Austria. His avant-garde approach caught the attention of a Leeds team that was looking not for a radical change or a ground-breaking style, but to stay faithful to the Bielsa method.

We took into account his model of play, which was similar to Bielsa’s in terms of pressing, intensity and physicality,” Orta adds. 

“We wanted to keep the things that had worked and make a more moderate transition. Marsch is a coach with a style that is trending in Europe right now, offensive, with a lot of energy. I love that. We also used big data as a filter, and what he was like as a person. Everything was analysed in detail.”

The new era did not start well, with defeats against Leicester and Aston Villa, but gradually the dressing room adapted to his methods and he has averaged 1.37 points per game since his arrival – enough to survive relegation on the final day of last season.

And there is more to come, says Orta. “I think there is a lot of room for growth,” he insists. “There’s still a lot to do. He has a tactical depth that needs time to develop. In the MLS or at Salzburg it was perhaps easier to achieve, hopefully at Leeds the results will go with him so he can continue to apply it.”

Orta is the tip of the iceberg in a 16-team person team, one which he says is extremely loyal and who love and understands football as he does.

That dedication was tested to the limit, however, in a summer transfer window in which Leeds lost their two best players, signed eight others and suffered a frustrating transfer deadline day in which a move for striker Bamba Dieng collapsed when he was about to fly to England for a medical.

“The first thing I would say is that 90 per cent of the signings came in before pre-season in Australia, and that’s valuable,” he reflects. 

“The players have adapted quickly. We sold two players – Kalvin Phillips and Raphinha – and brought in five others and three young players with a lot of future. We’ve traded two for eight. Frankly, we’ve gained depth on the bench, we have more alternatives.”

Leeds struggled to find a striker who could compete with Rodrigo Moreno and Patrick Bamford, two talented but injury-prone players. Charles De Ketelaere was one of the first on the list, but he preferred to leave for AC Milan.

“We also tried with Cody Gakpo. I respect his decision not to come to Leeds. And I also put myself in the shoes of PSV and I understand they couldn’t find a replacement at the last minute. We couldn't reach an agreement for Bamba Dieng either. In the end we decided on Wilfried Gnoto, who I think is going to surprise,” Orta says.

The young Italian turns 19 at the beginning of November, and Leeds have every confidence in the versatile attacking player. “He can play inside, outside, he has already made his debut for the Italian national team and has a mentality that is overwhelming. We have to be very calm, but I think the team will not be short of goals.”

Getting rid of Phillips and Raphinha was not easy either, but Orta admits Leeds were powerless to stop them leaving.

“Players have a rate of growth that you either match as a club or you have to sell them because otherwise you are at a disadvantage,” he admits. “Hopefully Leeds will grow to match the growth of the players. In that decision, what you have to do is to optimise the sale, and I think in both cases it has been done in a positive way in terms of quality and price

Two years after arriving in the Premier League, Orta’s goal is for the club to avoid the fate of yo-yo sides like Fulham or Norwich. So far they have started the season well: two wins, two draws and two defeats. Orta, though, is taking things one step at a time.

“It is as problematic to be too conservative as it is to be too ambitious. I think Leeds have to consolidate the project, to be between 14th and 10th, to take steps to reach the top 10 on a regular basis in two years’ time.”

And is it realistic to think about Europe? “It is complicated,” Orta says. “With the current business model in the Premier League, the top six is almost unattainable. Leicester and West Ham have broken through in recent years, but it's not easy. To be in the top 10 would already be a great success.

“I’d be delighted if something else comes along, like being able to play in the Conference League or, of course, the Europa League. I have that as a goal. Ever since I arrived, it’s something I’ve been obsessing about. But it wouldn’t be to do anything new, but to put the club in its place.

“We have stable shareholders and a way of working that does not put the club at risk. It is one of our keys. Nothing is going to change in the short term. I’m sure [chairman] Andrea Radrizzani is very happy here. He set himself five years to get promotion, and he got it in three.

“Now we have stayed in the Premier League these two years, and now we are trying to stabilise. We have used all the money from the sales to strengthen, and that speaks well of the owners.”
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Victor Orta Interview

Post by Chilli D »

Good interview to be fair.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Chilli D wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:10 pm Good interview to be fair.
Honest I suppose whether you agree with him or not.

Won't ever agree that mid table is successful though.

They basically want us to be a Southampton.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Rook
First Team
First Team

Post by Rook »

I like Victor Orta, but he really needs to get himself a good hair cut and a shave.
I smell blood and an era of prominent mad men - W.H. Auden
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

A load of gash, if he hadn't got lucky with Bert he wouldn't be running our club and would be sacked.

Remember what Pep said.

And with Bert we had a chance of top 6 just because of how good he was with ordinary players, we've absolutely no chance with anyone else and this clown running the club.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

Very soft interview, more self publicity than news.

The obvious story, which the journalist completely missed, is the complete change in thinking at Leeds, from aiming for the top 6 to aiming for not being relegated. A good journalist would have put to him that it sounds like they don't have the faith in Marsch that they had in Bielsa less than a year ago. Of course, on the other hand it might also be a much needed injection of reality. It would have made a puff piece more interesting...

“It is as problematic to be too conservative as it is to be too ambitious. I think Leeds have to consolidate the project, to be between 14th and 10th, to take steps to reach the top 10 on a regular basis in two years’ time.

And is it realistic to think about Europe? “It is complicated,” Orta says. “With the current business model in the Premier League, the top six is almost unattainable.

It sounds very different to Andrea Radrizzani 10 months ago...

...it will be very difficult to stay in the Premier League, but if we stay in it this year I think we can go much more than last year and go into the top six
Leeds When I picked Marcelo Bielsa I knew it would come with challenges, but we support him unconditionally
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Cjay wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:28 pm Honest I suppose whether you agree with him or not.

Won't ever agree that mid table is successful though.

They basically want us to be a Southampton.
It's funny that we keep hearing that - from Radz, from Kinnear, from Orta. We don't need to set our ambitions according to clubs like Southampton and Leicester. Sure, we can follow some of the methods. Scout, buy low, develop, sell high, reinvest at a higher level, repeat. But our fanbase, our commercial appeal, make us a much bigger club. And in that regard we should be aiming higher. 10th to 14th is not enough. We should be aiming for Top 10, pushing a Europa place.

We're literally the biggest club outside the top 6. I understand that we have limited resources. But don't say 10 to 14. Our fans know that we're a better club than that.

Do you think they might secretly think we should be aiming for Top 10, but are just lowering expectations?
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Rook wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:28 am I like Victor Orta, but he really needs to get himself a good hair cut and a shave.
He can't afford razor blades, or he is just sheer lazy.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:40 am It's funny that we keep hearing that - from Radz, from Kinnear, from Orta. We don't need to set our ambitions according to clubs like Southampton and Leicester. Sure, we can follow some of the methods. Scout, buy low, develop, sell high, reinvest at a higher level, repeat. But our fanbase, our commercial appeal, make us a much bigger club. And in that regard we should be aiming higher. 10th to 14th is not enough. We should be aiming for Top 10, pushing a Europa place.

We're literally the biggest club outside the top 6. I understand that we have limited resources. But don't say 10 to 14. Our fans know that we're a better club than that.

Do you think they might secretly think we should be aiming for Top 10, but are just lowering expectations?
We maybe financially sound, but we'll never make the top six if we continue with net spends annually.

Big clubs retain their best players & build on their squads.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sinnisterra, Harrison or Meslier are sold next summer, not a strategy that breeds success.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Nice balanced interview.

Lets face it he will be decried whatever he says.

Truth is Leeds are not a big club in this league, we have a fanatical fanbase but so does Stoke, Sunderland and a few others in the lower leagues, would they swap with us? Broad and deep financial foundations have to be created.

The PL is a different ballgame from the one we were in before.

Stability may be boring but boom and bust are untenable.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

Irish Ian wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:55 am Nice balanced interview.

Truth is Leeds are not a big club in this league, we have a fanatical fanbase but so does Stoke, Sunderland and a few others in the lower leagues, would they swap with us? Broad and deep financial foundations have to be created.

Agreed.

Whether some fans accept it or not, consolidation must be our primary objective for the next year or two.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Spot on :tup:
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Rook
First Team
First Team

Post by Rook »

1964white wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:49 am He can't afford razor blades, or he is just sheer lazy.

His hairdo is atrocious.

It always looks greasy and unkempt.
I smell blood and an era of prominent mad men - W.H. Auden
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Rook wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:01 am His hairdo is atrocious.

It always looks greasy and unkempt.
Yuk!!!

Which suggests he doesn't shower often :shock:
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Neither of those clubs have anywhere near the commercial income we do though, of course they would swap with us. We were 7th highest on our first season back. The Orta/Radz apologists regularly downplay our potential.

Sadly it sounds like the 3 stooges aren't going anywhere. They want the riches of the PL without spending a penny.

Finishing 10th every season sums up their lack of ambition too. We bettered that in our first season back. Wanting to win trophies or qualify for Europe is showing ambition.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

SG90 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:42 am Neither of those clubs have anywhere near the commercial income we do though, of course they would swap with us. We were 7th highest on our first season back. The Orta/Radz apologists regularly downplay our potential.

Sadly it sounds like the 3 stooges aren't going anywhere. They want the riches of the PL without spending a penny.

Finishing 10th every season sums up their lack of ambition too. We bettered that in our first season back. Wanting to win trophies or qualify for Europe is showing ambition.
Where did Orta say finishing 10th EVERY season was his goal?

Get back to me on that will you?
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Irish Ian wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:41 pm Where did Orta say finishing 10th EVERY season was his goal?

Get back to me on that will you?
This bit:

"I think Leeds have to consolidate the project, to be between 14th and 10th, to take steps to reach the top 10 on a regular basis in two years’ time.”

And is it realistic to think about Europe? “It is complicated,” Orta says. “With the current business model in the Premier League, the top six is almost unattainable. Leicester and West Ham have broken through in recent years, but it's not easy. To be in the top 10 would already be a great success."
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Ian you an Orta fan yes or no ?

Ian you a GS fan yes or no ?
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

SG90 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:54 pm This bit:

"I think Leeds have to consolidate the project, to be between 14th and 10th, to take steps to reach the top 10 on a regular basis in two years’ time.”

And is it realistic to think about Europe? “It is complicated,” Orta says. “With the current business model in the Premier League, the top six is almost unattainable. Leicester and West Ham have broken through in recent years, but it's not easy. To be in the top 10 would already be a great success."
Top reply :tup: :tup:

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Ian, your response ?

;@)
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

SG90 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:54 pm This bit:

So that is hardly setting for mid table for ever which is the suggestion you made.
'