Owzthat!

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
BobHirst
Manager
Manager

Owzthat!

Post by BobHirst »

I was looking through one of my junk drawers today and came across my Owzthat cricket game which I suspect is older than a lot of the people on this forum.
As a kid I used to play this game a lot. I had a cricket score book and I played a variation of the game so that runs weren't scored on every delivery. I used to play England v. Australia, Yorkshire v. Whoever and Heros v. Baddies.
On my Hero team Geoffrey Boycott and Norman Hunter would open the batting and Truman and Statham would open the bowling. John Lennon, Sir Francis Drake, Gary Sobers, Johnny Giles, Billy Bremner and many others would make up the side.
My Baddies eleven would include Adolf Hitler, Joe Stalin, Bill Lawry, Rodney Marsh (the cricketer) The Pope, Players who scored against Leeds, Guy Fawkes, Enoch Powell etc.
Did anyone else waste many hours playing this stupid game?
Muppet the Cat

Re: Owzthat!

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Must confess I don't really recall this one, Bob.

It was (probably like most) Subbuteo football and the Bobby Charlton Casdon Soccer games I recall most readily playing as a kid
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I remember it, basically two dice and scorecards? One die had 1,2,3,4,6 and the final side took you to a second dice of B,C,LBW, Not Out, Run Out? and another not out of some kind

A game basically played in the imagination. Is that the one? My dad had a set but you could really just get away with pad and paper and one ordinary die. He called it pencil cricket
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

I had it and used to play it. But can't recall much about the details
Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Post by Finnatic »

There was a football version too called Kick-Off (?) if I remember correctly.
It had two dice and one had Shoot, Save, Free Kick, Corner etc
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

Yes, I had the version similar to the one Faaip describes. I also had a scorebook, which I also used to take to Headingly. The first entry in the book was England v West Indies, when Rohan Kanhai got a century. The imaginary games were always Yorkshire or England, and whiled away many a wet non-school day, when I couldn't play out. Happy memories. You can now add Vladimir Putin and Donald Trump to your "baddies" team, Bob.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Most of my team were Hampshire greats, Richards, Greenidge, Sainsbury, Roberts, Turner, Gilliat etc
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
BobHirst
Manager
Manager

Post by BobHirst »

Gandalf wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:14 am Yes, I had the version similar to the one Faaip describes. I also had a scorebook, which I also used to take to Headingly. The first entry in the book was England v West Indies, when Rohan Kanhai got a century. The imaginary games were always Yorkshire or England, and whiled away many a wet non-school day, when I couldn't play out. Happy memories. You can now add Vladimir Putin and Donald Trump to your "baddies" team, Bob.
My game consists of 2 small steel hexagonal cylinders with the values on each side. You can use pencils to get the same effect.
It could be fun to pick Heros v. Baddies teams based on today's knowledge. Those 2 would definitely make the team along with Kim and Robert Mugabe. I think Idi Amin was one of the stars on my original Baddies team.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Surprised I've never heard of & missed out on this game.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Did anyone play Test Match? Used to love simulating games on that too
BobHirst
Manager
Manager

Post by BobHirst »

1964white wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:36 pm Surprised I've never heard of & missed out on this game.
Yes, surprised you haven't heard of it. We all had it as kids. Would spend hours picking teams or even just using the current players for the counties or countries. In the regular game you basically score runs off every ball or get out. I invented my own scoring version which produced plenty of "dot balls" and I would record my games in my cricket scoring book.
owzthat.jpg
owzthat.jpg (5.89 KiB) Viewed 299 times
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

BobHirst wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:10 pm Yes, surprised you haven't heard of it. We all had it as kids. Would spend hours picking teams or even just using the current players for the counties or countries. In the regular game you basically score runs off every ball or get out. I invented my own scoring version which produced plenty of "dot balls" and I would record my games in my cricket scoring book.

owzthat.jpg
Subbuteo, Scalextric & Escalado were the three games we concentrated much of our indoor time on.