Jack Harrison- Stick or twist

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.

Stay? Go? Roll the dice?

Poll ended at Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:23 pm

New contract?
19%
Sell?
58%
Keep till summer then reassess?
23%

Total votes: 31

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Jack Harrison- Stick or twist

Post by Cjay »

Time for another poll :)

In a matter of weeks he is down to the final 18months of his contract.

Once that happens the selling club is in a weaker position and the amount you can demand in transfer money diminishes.

So very soon we need to make a decision.

1) Tout him around and look for bids in January.

2) Offer him a new contract which will likely mean a significant wage rise.

3) Let him run it down to 12months and roll the dice in the summer knowing if we can't agree a new deal we will get a fraction of his value if any at all.

There are a few factors at play here.

It has been reported Manchester City have a significant sell on fee clause so whatever we get we don't keep it all.

It's also been reported that his wages range from anywhere between £40-60k a week at present.

So you probably need somewhere in the £80k a week mark to get him to stay and even that may not be enough if someone like Newcastle has contacted him as they would think nothing of giving him £100k a week.

And of course he will be aware the club wanted big money in the summer and would expect any deal to reflect that.

Selling him in January though could create unrest in the stands, a here we go again response.

And he was bright early season and if we sold him and then he rediscovered the form it would be a bit sickening.

That being said there is the nagging doubt he isn't quite a fit for Marsch (hence him being shoehorned right side as a narrow inverted winger).

So what should we do?

What sort of fee (if any) would you take?

Would you give him a new deal?
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Jack Harrison- Stick or twist

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Sell

The contract situation makes this really tricky now. All the talk was that we'd do a new deal when the summer window closed. No idea why that hasn't happened.

Why would we offer Harrison a better deal now? It's become clear in recent weeks that he isn't essential to the Marsch plan. If we're not offering a new contract surely we have to sell while we can still make some money.

Sadly, his value now is much lower than it was in August.
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

Sell.

He's already fallen down the pecking order and with Sinisterra coming back there isn't really a place for him. Signing him to higher wages makes no sense whatsoever.

Get what we can for him and send him someplace where he can get regular minutes.
Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Post by Finnatic »

Sell

His first touch is fantastic, his second or third are hit and miss otherwise he wouldn’t be with us,

He always puts a shift in even when he’s having a poor game which many wingers don’t, I would like to see him tried as a wing back in the friendly games this week but it won’t happen.

I don’t think he would be happy as back up either.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

There's no denying Jack has been poor this season but I think he deserves the chance to turn his form around.
Also, we have no idea how long Sinisterra is going to be out.
Reasses the situation in the summer.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Sell , he's another going backwards post Bert.

We've had our money out of him (well, Bert dug Orta out the shite and made Radz some money) so take that money while we can.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

If we want to get a reasonable fee for Jack we need to sell in January, if there are any takers.

Sinisterra left, Jimmy right, Gnonto as backup should cover us, use the money for a left back.

Of course, he'll go on to be a superstar elsewhere, and it sticks in the craw to hand Man City a big slice of any fee.

Difficult one, I suppose it depends on what's on the table. I wouldn't be offering him more money to stay though.
velo
Manager
Manager

Post by velo »

So I'm the only one that think he deserves anew contract, just goes to prove how little you all know about football...............
Stop worryin' about what people say, when it ain't gonna stop them anyway.

Hater of Liars, Cheats and Trolls

Freedom of speech is not allowed if it upsets the mods
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

I’m a bit torn on this one but if I was Jack I’d be gone to Newcastle in a flash.
Clacton White
First Team
First Team

Post by Clacton White »

Sell, he is inconsistent , I think there are at least two better options in Summerville and Sinisterra , who are both more consistent on a regular basis . When Harrison is good he is very good , but how often ? And when was the last time ? Selling him may provide the dish to bring in better options elsewhere in the side . To me it's a no brainer .
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Depends on our board's ambition, if they are not prepared to replace him we'd need to retain Jack as we are short on experienced players within our squad, especially at Premier League level.
VinnysTattoo
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by VinnysTattoo »

Sell for me.

A truly frustrating footballer.

At our current level we cannot carry a player who contributes little over several games and then plays a blinder. It's just rinse and repeat.

Certainly in the current system he doesn't seem to be able to adjust. Too one dimensional for me.
Musicman1965
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Musicman1965 »

I was a massive supporter of Jack Harrison and have posted threads in his defence. Why has he not progressed is a absolute mystery,
he clearly in my view has the ability but his lack of form is a big problem. Is it because of the system that we are now playing? I now have to concede that Jacks future may lie elsewhere. Seeing others take his position in the first team can either inspire you to do better or descend into the fact that he is just not motivated enough to fight for his place. So the for sale signs must be put up and hopefully he does not go to a rival and prove us all wrong.
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

On his day he is a great player and the team sheet often looks weaker when he isn’t on it but time and again this season he has been awful, maybe not in preferred position but he should still be able to cross a ball with some degree of accuracy where ever he is on the pitch. There will be times we regret the sale when he puts in a performance for wherever he goes to but we know it will be fleeting.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Do we know what the prognosis is for Sinisterra? That would colour my thinking on Jack. Also, whilst he may not fit Marsch's system, there is no guarantee he's here beyond the end of this season. Or even the end of January if we go on another run of poor results.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Twist if we get a good offer but i wouldn't expect it on current form. Has loads of ability but seems to lack self belief and confidence. Maybe he needs to play with better players to raise his game.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Sell.

I don't think he is consistent enough to justify being near our top earner which he would probably demand.

He has far to many totally anonymous games.

And as Jesse seems to be sticking about, it's clear Harrison is a square peg

Jesse doesn't use wingers.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
velo
Manager
Manager

Post by velo »

1964white wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:41 am Depends on our board's ambition, if they are not prepared to replace him we'd need to retain Jack as we are short on experienced players within our squad, especially at Premier League level.
Sorry Leon, u cannot put those two words in the same sentence, Board and ambition,
Stop worryin' about what people say, when it ain't gonna stop them anyway.

Hater of Liars, Cheats and Trolls

Freedom of speech is not allowed if it upsets the mods
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Keep for me... I still think he's one of our better, established players. Sini and Somer look promising, but we haven't seen enough to call them consistent yet. Jack's struggling currently under Marsch's system... I'd rather see Marsch gone than give up a proven player who is being ruined by a s**t manager.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Atm for his career he should go. If Marsch keeps using him as he is we’d be better off with the money & he’d be better off at Toon