Horse Racing News

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Horse Racing News

Post by Jaydog »

I’m going to take the £50 fine and give Friday a miss next year :lol:
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Jaydog wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:53 pm I’m going to take the £50 fine and give Friday a miss next year :lol:
Now there's a good ploy. :lol:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Screenshot 2023-03-25 10.42.18.png

One For Arthur, who swept to Grand National glory in 2017 for Lucinda Russell, has died from colic at the age of 14

The stalwart chaser delivered just the second National victory for Scotland with his heroic effort under Derek Fox for Belinda McClung and Deborah Thomson, who raced under the Two Golf Widows banner.

His Grand National triumph came the same year as success in Warwick's Classic Chase and although injury ruled him out of Aintree the following year, he returned in 2019 to finish sixth behind Tiger Roll.

He was set to contest the race once more in 2020 but the Grand National was cancelled due to the pandemic, and he was retired from racing in November that year.

"He taught us so much," Russell said. "He was the springboard for our yard. He was a phenomenal athlete and it was fantastic to be involved with a horse who had such talent.

"He blossomed ahead of his Grand National victory and after he won we had lots of press coming to visit him and he loved it, it was almost as if he took his role very seriously.

"He went back and was sixth in 2019 and we had him ready for the following year before it was cancelled. There was such a sadness there when we realised he would never run in another National. It was almost like the dream came to an end but it didn't, it went on in his retirement."

One For Arthur went on to a second career in the show ring under Aisling Dwan, daughter of the Grand National winner's breeder John. He competed at the Dublin Horse Show in August alongside Tiger Roll before before returning to Scotland to take part in hunter trials in the care of his former work-rider Ailsa McClung.

Screenshot 2023-03-25 10.43.21.png

"He continued to give such joy to people after racing," Russell said. "He went back to Ireland to John Dwan and I have a lovely photo of Arthur meeting his dam Nonnetia. Aisling took him to the Dublin Horse Show last year and I went to see him alongside the Golf Widows.

"It was so lovely, he took us such places and we honoured him by going to see him there. He was actually rather badly behaved that day, but it was just great to watch him again.

"He came back to Dumfries just before Christmas to Ailsa and she took him out hunting and cross country – he absolutely loved it. While our dream of Aintree finished in 2020, he still gave people so much happiness and joy."

While One For Arthur finished his race career with seven victories and £622,437 in prize-money, he will be most fondly remembered by those who knew him for his gentle and professional demeanour, with his heroics on the racecourse ensuring his legacy lives on at Arlary House Stables.

"He was so brave and yet back at home he was such a kind horse," Russell said.

"We had all these amazing people write to us after his Grand National win, he touched so many people's lives. Everyone who met him loved him, and he enjoyed his status as a celebrity.

"He was a real warrior and changed my life. He changed the whole course of the yard here."
1964white

Post by 1964white »

RIP Arthur.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

1964white wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:45 am RIP Arthur.
He gave the Golf Widows some incredible memories.
What a horse to own.
Poor old boy.
RIP
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

Sad news 😢
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Similar to kidney disease in cats, colic is seriously life-threatening with horses.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Lord North and Frankie Dettori completed a Dubai Turf hat-trick when holding off the late challenge of Danon Beluga.

1964white

Post by 1964white »

The first big handicap of the flat season goes to Migration brilliantly ridden by Benoit D L Sayette, the 7yo gelding was more or less last with just under two furlongs to go, after weaving through the big field Migration flew down the inside rail to lead in the final 100 yards.

Muppet the Cat

Horse Racing News: Grand National Festival Comp (Thurs 13th - Sat 15th April)

Post by Muppet the Cat »

2023 Aintree Grand National Festival Comp: Thurs 13th - Sat 15th April

D7702743-C60A-49BE-8083-F1AACBD32032.jpeg

Rules as follows

Rule 1: Each player starts with a £450.00 virtual pot

Rule 2: If anyone loses all their initial pot they can only bet £50 per day until back in credit.

Rule 3: All races at the meeting have to have at least 1 selection (if a race/s is/are missed penalty of £15 per missed race).

Rule 4: Minimum bet £2.50 e/w or £5 win.

Rule 5: £75 Penalty if you don't participate on any given day

Rule 6: Any gains / losses incurred in this festival meeting are not carried forward to the next one.

Rule 7: Any gains/losses do not affect the regular Saturday competition standings.

Rule 8: All prices are Starting Prices (SP) as quoted in the Racing Post. Place odds are based on 1/4 SP.

Daily selections to be posted up on the NAP of the Day thread (NOT THIS ONE)

The evening before each day I'll post up the number of places (dependent on NR's) I'll be paying out on in each race.

All welcome to join in :)
1964white

Re: Horse Racing News: Grand National Festival Comp (Thurs 13th - Sat 15th April)

Post by 1964white »

Can't wait :-D
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Horse Racing News: Grand National Festival Comp (Thurs 13th - Sat 15th April)

Post by Barlow Boy »

1964white wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:04 pm Can't wait :-D
I’m in, I’ll be rubbish again, but I’m in :tup:
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Barlow Boy wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:58 pm I’m in, I’ll be rubbish again, but I’m in :tup:
Got to say I don't enjoy the festival comps, Ken. I see them as a bit of a chore and an interruption to the normal NAP and Saturday Comps. I like having to only pick one horse a day not a min. of 6 or 7 a day. But I appreciate most do enjoy them, so I'll get back in my grumpy box :)
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:12 pm Got to say I don't enjoy the festival comps, Ken. I see them as a bit of a chore and an interruption to the normal NAP and Saturday Comps. I like having to only pick one horse a day not a min. of 6 or 7 a day. But I appreciate most do enjoy them, so I'll get back in my grumpy box :)
I suppose being retired it makes it easier time wise, so I can see where you are coming from.

Also, it cuts out a Saturday comp, once less chance for me to get caught out front :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Barlow Boy wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:24 pm I suppose being retired it makes it easier time wise, so I can see where you are coming from.

Also, it cuts out a Saturday comp, once less chance for me to get caught out front :lol: :lol: :lol:
I have a plan for that 8-)
hector

Post by hector »

Jaydog wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:25 pm I have a plan for that 8-)
shooting him is frowned upon on this forum Foxy :P :) :)
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

:shock: :shock: :shock:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Do you require any help, Jay?
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:12 pm Got to say I don't enjoy the festival comps, Ken. I see them as a bit of a chore and an interruption to the normal NAP and Saturday Comps. I like having to only pick one horse a day not a min. of 6 or 7 a day. But I appreciate most do enjoy them, so I'll get back in my grumpy box :)
Thank you for persevering & running the Grand National Festival, Cat :tup:
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

1964white wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:28 pm Do you require any help, Jay?
Now now, no need for ganging up on me.

Anyway, I’m starting to slip up of my own accord on the Saturday comp :roll: :roll: :roll: