Weston McKennie

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Weston McKennie

Post by Kennyb41 »

BlackHillsPaul wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:02 am Who manufactured the guns? The Tanks? The Bombers that brought Germany to her knees? Here's a hint mate. Much of it was manufactured in my home State of Michigan in converted auto plants.

I'm not downplaying the bravery of the British military or people. This is just friendly banter between allies. And for the record...General Montgomery was a bigger prick than Patton. And that's saying something. :lol:
Well - obviously :roll:

Bombers heh, suppose our tiny little non gas guzzling Spitfires were shite at protecting those bombers or defending these shores outnumbered 40-1 in one of our nations finest hours bart thee lot still twiddling tha thumbs playing Rounders whilst London burnt.

We'd have done em with bows n arrows, ask Henry V, we fought those frogs with our bare hands, then exported our Patented bows across the Atlantic to the Navajo only for you cheats to start using guns and commit mass slaughter against the natives.

You never could fight fair, ask the good townsfolk of Hiroshima :roll:
Last edited by Kennyb41 on Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Anyhoos we'll be getting accused of going off track.

I believe Westons dropping 150 Ryvita's a day, true ?
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

BlackHillsPaul wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:02 am I'm not downplaying the bravery of the British military or people. This is just friendly banter between allies. And for the record...General Montgomery was a bigger prick than Patton. And that's saying something. :lol:
Nowt wrong with a bit of 'friendly fire.' You Americans are the masters of that............

Sh*t anyone seen that pin..... kaboom!
Karsmakers
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Karsmakers »

I've got a mix of German and French in me. Passivity and aggression mixed up in a ball of conflict
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Weston v Chelsea

Good
7 decent passes
3 tackles
1 defensive clearance

bad
3 poor passes
2 lost possession
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Felt he had a better cameo today

Got about the pitch well, made some good interceptions

Got up the pitch well.

But the Downside is technically on the ball there is very little there it seems

£30mil player he isn't

But better today in parts
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

Cjay wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:15 pm Felt he had a better cameo today

Got up the pitch well.

£30mil player he isn't

He's afraid to take a shot on from 18 yards, tries to walk through the massed ranks and gets fleeced every time. Very limited in what he offers so far, at either end.

I've more faith in Roca.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Carrick Dave wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:24 pm He's afraid to take a shot on from 18 yards, tries to walk through the massed ranks and gets fleeced every time. Very limited in what he offers so far, at either end.

I've more faith in Roca.
Think he is just one of those players who has the physical stuff.

Can drive forward with the ball and get you up the pitch.

Can get back and get in the way of things.

But on the ball he lacks badly.

A more forward thinking Adams ?

But doesn't offer what you need for the cost In attack.

He refuses to shoot as you say.
Signed

King Cjay

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

He's better than Adams imo, good game today surprised he was dropped. I'd need to see a better camara angle before criticizing him not taking the shot. It all seemed very congested and we missed Paddy at that point imo. Rodrigo looked very rusty... McKennie is usually a one touch passer, hence some of them going wayward...

I think he's close to a 30M player... He's worth more than 20 in the current market.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

Cjay wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:15 pm Felt he had a better cameo today

Got up the pitch well.

£30mil player he isn't

I understand the point you are making Cjay. You have said that your biggest hangup with the player is his price tag. However, defensive midfield is a position of need for almost everyone right now. So I believe the market is a bit inflated for established players. And given the clubs he has played for, and his Champion's League experience is easy to see why the price is what it is. You and I might think it's too much. But I do believe it reasonably reflects market value.

Since I know your first move will be Google here is what I found. McKennie's value range is 17M-28M. Juve paid 20M for him. And similar players are valued around 23M-40M.

The biggest question for me is if Weston McKennie is a good fit for Leeds United??? And I'm not sure that he is. Particularly if we are going to use him in a 4-2-3-1 double pivot. If we go down the point will be moot. His rights will stay with Juve and he will most likely be sold to another Premier League club.
Football/Futbol/Soccer
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

BlackHillsPaul wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:46 pm I understand the point you are making Cjay. You have said that your biggest hangup with the player is his price tag. However, defensive midfield is a position of need for almost everyone right now. So I believe the market is a bit inflated for established players. And given the clubs he has played for, and his Champion's League experience is easy to see why the price is what it is. You and I might think it's too much. But I do believe it reasonably reflects market value.

Since I know your first move will be Google here is what I found. McKennie's value range is 17M-28M. Juve paid 20M for him. And similar players are valued around 23M-40M.

The biggest question for me is if Weston McKennie is a good fit for Leeds United??? And I'm not sure that he is. Particularly if we are going to use him in a 4-2-3-1 double pivot. If we go down the point will be moot. His rights will stay with Juve and he will most likely be sold to another Premier League club.
January Market is always a sellers market and I think McKennie reflects that (as does Rutter).

The money we paid does feel like a bit of a millstone round his neck because it is for us nearly a record (behind only Rutter I think).

So naturally that will bring expectations.

So whereas today had that been Roca having the exact same game as McKennie you'd probably go "yeah decent game" and leave out the but because was paid so little for him.

Adams similar, he gets a lot of praise for his all action buzzing around and rarely gets criticised despite his technical on the ball issues at times

Fans love an all action player and he isn't close to a record signing so it's let go.

Problem with McKennie is for the money we spent and the window it was (when clubs need instant impact and fans expect a difference to be made) he doesn't quite do that.

He does good things, like Adams does and Roca.

But he doesn't make that difference I think fans hope for from a player that price.

It may come but it had to come almost instantly which isn't his fault regarding the price.

Had he arrived in the summer for a similar price to Adams I think we'd be pretty satisfied as a fanbase.

But the timing and the price will always see him judged a bit more harshly

I can see talent.

But is he what we needed is the question?

By himself maybe not.

He seems to me to be a player maybe like Adams who needs a more technical 10 player to compliment them in a 3?

If you put Pulisic in there maybe then I could see it.
Signed

King Cjay

1964white

Post by 1964white »

Brighton

Good
2 good passes
1 decent cross
1 interception
1 defensive head clearance

Bad
2 poor passes
1 non-shot opportunity
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

The non shot opportunity is very subjective....
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:01 pm The non shot opportunity is very subjective....
Yes, it is, but he had time to shoot. I was right behind it.

McKennie seems fearful of shooting, from what I've witnessed of him so far.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:04 pm Yes, it is, but he had time to shoot. I was right behind it.

McKennie seems fearful of shooting, from what I've witnessed of him so far.
Yet you criticized Summerville for shooting... ..
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:28 pm Yet you criticized Summerville for shooting... ..
Only because there was a better/easier option opportunity
JoeDenver
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by JoeDenver »

You probably haven’t heard of the Indirect podcast, but it often has US national team player interviews on it (as one of its hosts is Tim Ream, Fulham’s captain). Anyway, the latest episode is an interview with Weston. He is very matter of fact as to where his strengths and weaknesses are (even mentions the criticism of his physique and how Tim believes that might not be such a bad thing). Anyway, we’ll worth a listen:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/i ... 0603596784
Fly Fishing, Skiing, and The Damned United
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:43 pm Only because there was a better/easier option opportunity
The shot is always the simple roption, he was in good position. The pass across the defender, who was in position, was risky and then you still need Jack to finish...
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:45 am The shot is always the simple roption, he was in good position. The pass across the defender, who was in position, was risky and then you still need Jack to finish...
All about opinions, mate.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

It's the right decision if the team scores and the wrong decision if they don't. Simple.