The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 30th January) - Leeds too strong for League One strugglers

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 30th January) - Leeds too strong for League One strugglers

Post by Byebyegeegee »

weasel wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:45 am If one of their shots from the edge of the area had flown into the net instead of Harrison's we could well have been knocked out. Small margins.
That’s true, their mad Leeds United fan Harvey Rodgers had a couple of excellent chances which would certainly have been taken by most Premier League strikers. Perhaps a score of 3-7 would have reflected the game better!
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 30th January) - Leeds too strong for League One strugglers

Post by Kennyb41 »

weasel wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:53 am Probably more important was that Bamford took quite a few hefty knocks and came through okay. That will give him a huge confidence boost as he will finally feel he can rely on his body not to break down. He will be able to play without worrying that any tackle could see him out injured again so can just concentrate on playing the game.
He was moving like he had no niggle or anything, dare i say - back to full ish fitness ?

Injury wise - he might not be carrying anything.

Fitness - I'd guess at 85 - 90 % Prem wise, I'd be starting him v Forest though.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Kennyb41 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:39 am He was moving like he had no niggle or anything, dare i say - back to full ish fitness ?

Injury wise - he might not be carrying anything.

Fitness - I'd guess at 85 - 90 % Prem wise, I'd be starting him v Forest though.
A tricky selection dilemma. Can't drop Rodrigo because his goals have been the only thing keeping us from being bottom of the table. Rodrigo and Bamford did work well together at then of our first season in the premier league so there is scope to play them both. I think for me it would be a front 4 of Bamford, Rodrigo, Gnonto and Harrison this week with Rutter and Sinisterra pushing them (summerville too if fit) and where it leaves Aaronsen at present I don't know but on form he's not even a threat from the bench.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

I know some keep saying lowly Accy but at the end of the day its 11 v 11 and the lower league clubs are gonna raise their game, especially against a Premier League side and especially Leeds United. It was their 'Cup Final'.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

whiteswan wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:02 pm I know some keep saying lowly Accy but at the end of the day its 11 v 11 and the lower league clubs are gonna raise their game, especially against a Premier League side and especially Leeds United. It was their 'Cup Final'.
They do and that is why it is important to be able to control the game. Pass the ball around and keep possession and demoralise them by showing the gulf in class that there is supposed to be. Instead we kept giving the ball away and giving them confidence especially as they were able to get a few shots in too. Think they had at least 6 shots in the opening 10 minutes.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

weasel wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:58 am A tricky selection dilemma. Can't drop Rodrigo because his goals have been the only thing keeping us from being bottom of the table. Rodrigo and Bamford did work well together at then of our first season in the premier league so there is scope to play them both. I think for me it would be a front 4 of Bamford, Rodrigo, Gnonto and Harrison this week with Rutter and Sinisterra pushing them (summerville too if fit) and where it leaves Aaronsen at present I don't know but on form he's not even a threat from the bench.
Don't like em both in the starting 11 at all myself, PB the better lone guy for me, Jesse's narrowness might work to fit Rodrigo in on the right, but he's more for himself and not the team. Only Stanley i know but Rooter covered some ground and looks a team player on first evidence, Willy has to start on recent form, Jack also, i'm intrigued with Jack through the middle coz he doesn't look to be absolutely glued to it.

For me, Gnonto - Jack- Rooter mixing it up behind PB - with Sinisterra Rodrigo and Aaronson itching to get on, Jimmy could also be fit.

Nice problem to have for once and a lot to choose from, all those 4 could easily be starting with differing options.

One thing i do know, if Forest slap us or give us the runaround, we could be fcked, gotta expect 3 points from this.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Chilli D wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:16 am So once we complete the signing of Mckennie our first team squad will be:

Meslier
Robles
Ayling
Kristensen
Koch
Wober
Cooper
Struijk
Firpo
Aaronson
Summerville
Rutter
Adams
Mckennie
Roca
Harrison
Greenwood
Gnonto
Sinisterra
Bamford
Rodrigo

Fringe players:
Gyabi
Joseph
Perkins

Question marks over fitness:
Forshaw
Dallas

Players on loan to gain experience:
Cresswell
Gelhardt
Bate
Hjelde

That's a lot of players to try and keep happy.
Now we are talking, best squad we've had in many years.

Still think we need a proper LB & we'll need to replace Cooper at some stage.

Just wish we had a golscoring central midfielder, maybe that will come in time.

Best transfer window in a very long time, totally unexpected in my mind prior to January.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:17 am
We're buying another CB
Now that would a nice surprise!
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

Chilli D wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:19 am Very strange then after after him just signing a new deal.
Sounds like he may have had a falling out with JM over lack of game time especially after only getting 15 minutes on Saturday.
Having him on a longer-term contract gets you more money when you go to sell him or loan him out, I would think.
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

faaip wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:22 am Diogo Monteiro 20 year old central defender seems to be in the frame, it's reported he's agreed terms...
TBR reporting he's taking his physical along with McKennie.

Seems to be highly regarded, but not for immediate impact.

He's only 18, according to Wikipedia.
Pullhard
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Pullhard »

Kennyb41 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:26 pm Nice problem to have for once and a lot to choose from, all those 4 could easily be starting with differing options.
It's a long way from this time last season when it was Dan James through the middle and the Leeds treatment room looking like a small hospital
Pullhard
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Pullhard »

John in Louisiana wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:56 pm TBR reporting he's taking his physical along with McKennie.

Seems to be highly regarded, but not for immediate impact.

He's only 18, according to Wikipedia.
Monteiro turned 18 last Saturday.
Read somewhere that he could not be transferred to us until he was 18.
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Leeds are making a statement by signing McKennie.

Can't knock it. The options across the front and in behind are fantastic. We really need to get at teams now and score plenty of goals. If he plays out of his skin i hope we have negotiated the deal and we can't be gazumped.

Bamford has found his swagger.

Agree with others he looks to be moving freely and looking relaxed and i guess that only comes from being free of pain. I think from the JM quote above he clearly thinks he's not ready for a PL start just yet. Bamford is defo a better link player and i think ultimately he is better suited to the way we currently play.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Leeds1000 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:32 pm Leeds are making a statement by signing McKennie.

Can't knock it. The options across the front and in behind are fantastic. We really need to get at teams now and score plenty of goals. If he plays out of his skin i hope we have negotiated the deal and we can't be gazumped.

Bamford has found his swagger.

Agree with others he looks to be moving freely and looking relaxed and i guess that only comes from being free of pain. I think from the JM quote above he clearly thinks he's not ready for a PL start just yet. Bamford is defo a better link player and i think ultimately he is better suited to the way we currently play.
Does seem to have a bit of swagger about him yeah, being free from pain will put you in a good place.

I'll give him 10 days.

;@)
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Apparently Chelsea need to off load some players this window. Either through sales or on loan. Gallagher has turned down a move to Everton according to reports.
Personally, I would take Loftus-Cheek on loan. He would add depth to the midfield.

Not sure if Chilwell would be made available but what a cracking signing on loan he would be. Close to returning from injury.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

DDB220 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:36 pm Apparently Chelsea need to off load some players this window. Either through sales or on loan. Gallagher has turned down a move to Everton according to reports.
Personally, I would take Loftus-Cheek on loan. He would add depth to the midfield.

Not sure if Chilwell would be made available but what a cracking signing on loan he would be. Close to returning from injury.
My dream loan signing would be Cancelo 😍
Imagine that. Cjay would have a fit. So would I.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

DDB220 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:36 pm Apparently Chelsea need to off load some players this window. Either through sales or on loan. Gallagher has turned down a move to Everton according to reports.

I would imagine most of their players wages are well out of our depth, maybe Gallagher is an option, but, with our recent recruits, we don't need them, unless theres a LB or CH going cheap.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"