Double edged sword

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
mentalcase

Double edged sword

Post by mentalcase »

The big debate regarding JMs future will simply rumble on, the win ratio speaks for itself, it simply isn't good enough, I'm not really asking the question as I know there are other related threads, but, relating to my title "double edged sword"
A win against forest, gives us 3 very important points, and could prolong the managers stay, whereas as loss, would more than likely cement the managers demise, but, could see United in the bottom 3, and we may not get out of it.
I always want my team to win regardless, years ago, we could have lost at home to arsenal which would have meant scum not winning the league, I desperately wanted us to beat arsenal, it wasn't down to us what scum did, if they won it, they deserved it.
I'm sure the board have someone in mind, probably not until pre-season, but may be pressed sooner if we continue like we are, De-ja-vu.
For me, we need to win, and let happen what will happen off the pitch.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Double edged sword

Post by 1964white »

A victory would take us above Forest prior to the back to back Manure games, anything we get from that lot across the Pennines would be a bonus. Four points would definitely keep Jesse his job.

Two points or lower out of the those three games & Jesse could be shown the door.

A win at Forest is imperative, can't see it being easy, though.
pjm2019
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by pjm2019 »

i can see us winning 2-0 against forest. we have a godd starting 11 and a very good bench just need JM to use the subs early enough what ever the score at HT or 60 mins max.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

pjm2019 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:43 pm i can see us winning 2-0 against forest. we have a godd starting 11 and a very good bench just need JM to use the subs early enough what ever the score at HT or 60 mins max.
Therein lies a lot of his issues, why use a sub/subs if you don't need to, you are already advocating he uses them regardless, the game isn't till sunday.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Madron
First Team
First Team

Post by Madron »

1964white wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:29 pm A victory would take us above Forest prior to the back to back Manure games, anything we get from that lot across the Pennines would be a bonus. Four points would definitely keep Jesse his job.

Two points or lower out of the those three games & Jesse could be shown the door.

A win at Forest is imperative, can't see it being easy, though.
Think 2 points from those 3 games would be acceptable imo. Its the following 2 games we need to get points from.
Forest game could go either way, bookies can't split them.
velo
Manager
Manager

Post by velo »

Madron wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:50 pm Think 2 points from those 3 games would be acceptable imo. Its the following 2 games we need to get points from.
Forest game could go either way, bookies can't split them.
Florist were starting to look good, but their 2 matches against scum will have dented their confidence..As long as we turn up we should get at least a point, I'll be in the home end, so could be a weired afternoon
Stop worryin' about what people say, when it ain't gonna stop them anyway.

Hater of Liars, Cheats and Trolls

Freedom of speech is not allowed if it upsets the mods
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

pjm2019 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:43 pm i can see us winning 2-0 against forest. we have a godd starting 11 and a very good bench just need JM to use the subs early enough what ever the score at HT or 60 mins max.
Fingers crossed, pjm :tup:
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Would never want us to lose.

But if a defeat to Forest guaranteed Marsch sacked and a top quality manager arriving the next day (Luis Enrique) then I wouldn't be to upset.

As it is I'm not sure it does.

So have to hope we win.

I think Marsch is gone regardless in the summer anyway.

But flip side is that Marsch has been quite good at just scraping a result not quite bad enough for the sack but not creating much momentum.

This can't continue indefinitely for the rest of the season.

Something has to change.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:14 pm But flip side is that Marsch has been quite good at just scraping a result not quite bad enough for the sack but not creating much momentum.
The concern for me is that we continue in that manner and then get to a point where we have a couple of bad results, teams around us win and suddenly it is too late for a change to make a difference and down we go.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:29 pm The concern for me is that we continue in that manner and then get to a point where we have a couple of bad results, teams around us win and suddenly it is too late for a change to make a difference and down we go.
Agreed

So we lose to Forest and Manure then get a last minute equaliser vs Manure next weekend so he gets Southampton and Everton.

And then we beat one and lose to the other.

Scraping by.

Then we reach the final 4 games edge of the relegation zone with a few points separating the bottom 6.

And we have Man City, Newcastle, Spurs and West Ham.

Worried we will sleepwalk into a bad situation.

I just don't see Marsch getting us to perform with any consistency.

Would it be better long term to lose to Forest and get stuffed by Manure?

Force the owners to make a decision quickly before Southampton and Everton?

But I can't wish to lose . . . . .

And Orta has made 2 mid season appointments and they are both in our bottom 5 worst performing permanent managers.

So would he get it right a 3rd time?
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Yeah it is a horrible situation. A bit, for me, like when we faced Liverpool on the back of a terrible run of results. A heavy loss and I felt he surely had to go, but despite a defeat likely being the best result in the long run for the club beating Liverpool was great. Similarly it would be the same beating MU although I could see us beating MU but still getting relegated.
pjm2019
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by pjm2019 »

we now hear Rodrigo is out for 6-8 weeks because of an injury suffered in the FA match that we were winning 3-0 so why did JM bring him on. JM is no tactician
pjm2019
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by pjm2019 »

mentalcase wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:48 pm Therein lies a lot of his issues, why use a sub/subs if you don't need to, you are already advocating he uses them regardless, the game isn't till sunday.
the game is no longer 11 V 11 but 16 V 16. We have a great bench so lets use it
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

pjm2019 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:40 pm the game is no longer 11 V 11 but 16 V 16. We have a great bench so lets use it
But surely, it's a game plan isn't it, if it ain't broke why fix it ?
You start with your strongest 11, you only use subs when needed, if you don't need to then why use them, confused.com
Surely you only use a sub when needed, not because you have 16 players to choose from ?
VinnysTattoo
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by VinnysTattoo »

I really don’t see any type of run coming together with JM at the helm.

Will a loss at Forest mean the double edged sword is swung?

The two up and coming games against Manure fog the issue, simply because no one is expecting any points. Would you have a managerless team take the field ? Would any temporary coach change tactics? Tough call.

P.S. I’d have used that sword a lot earlier.
pjm2019
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by pjm2019 »

mentalcase wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:46 pm But surely, it's a game plan isn't it, if it ain't broke why fix it ?
You start with your strongest 11, you only use subs when needed, if you don't need to then why use them, confused.com
Surely you only use a sub when needed, not because you have 16 players to choose from ?
When you are winning 3-0 with 20 mins to go you bring off a couple of players to (a) freshen up the team (b) give the players a rest in readiness for the next match especially if mid week (c) give minutes for the subs. If its 0-0 after 60 mins then surely you need to change things even if you are totally on top as you are not scoring etc
liggy
First Team
First Team

Post by liggy »

Can't see the likes of Enrique and other top draw managers coming to Leeds unless major funding became available
The bloke I would go for is me or Thomas Frank .
If they give it to me I'd open a harry ramsdens & a Betty's tearoom :duno: at Thorp arch for team bonding ..fook all this baffling players with science.. ends