The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 3rd March) Can anyone stop Ipswich

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 3rd March) Can anyone stop Ipswich

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Wednesday 3rd April, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Can anyone stop Ipswich

Leeds fans will be hoping that Ipswich Town's bitter rival Norwich City can slow them down on Saturday lunchtime when visiting Carrow Road. The Canaries have one of the best home records in the Championship (behind Leeds and Ipswich), having won their last seven in a row. The problem will be, stopping Ipswich from scoring! Town have netted 84 times this season (nine more than Leeds), through 19 different goalscorers.

With nine wins in ten, Kieran McKenna's side have taken top spot, both in the Championship, and in the form guide (over the last 10 games). It was hoped that the wheels would come off on Bank holiday Monday against Southampton, but true to form, Ipswich won it with the last kick of the game!

30% of their goals (25) have come in the last fifteen minutes of play, with many being the difference between securing the win, or settling for a draw. The Canaries would like little more than to knock the Tractor boys off top spot, not to mention improving their play off hopes.

Remaining fixtures and potential banana skins

With just six games (seven for Leicester City), we look at the remaining fixtures which will define Leeds future. Promotion to the promised land is worth (up to) an estimated £265m, and could guarantee Leeds keep hold of their biggest assets (or at least be in a position to negotiate decent profits should anyone leave?).

Ipswich Town
Norwich City (A) - April 6
Watford (H) - April 10
Middlesbrough (H) - April 13
Hull City (A) - April 27
Coventry City (A) - April 30
Huddersfield Town (H) - May 4

Leeds Utd
Coventry City (A) - April 6
Sunderland (H) - April 9
Blackburn Rovers (H) - April 13
Middlesbrough (A) - April 22
Queens Park Rangers (A) - April 27
Southampton (H) - May 4

Leicester City
Birmingham City (H) - April 6
Millwall (A) - April 9
Plymouth Argyle (H) - April 12
West Brom (H) - April 20
Southampton (H) - April 23
Preston North End (A) - April 27
Blackburn Rovers (H) - May 4

Where are the potential banana skins? Will 100 points be enough for automatic promotion? How much of a phycological disadvantage will the club finishing third have, going into the play-offs?

Foxes pleading for clemency

Leicester City believe they should be afforded leniency by the football authorities for breaking financial fair play rules due to how unexpected and unique their rapid decline from the Premier League was, having finished eighth the season before! Their accounting figures can only be described as Ridsdale-esque, with Chief Executive Susan Whelan delivering pre-tax losses of £89.7m, on the back of a record £92.5m deficit the season before!

According to Rob Tanner from the Athletic...

In the accounts, which cover the disastrous 2022-23 season in which Leicester went from an eighth-placed finish the previous year to finishing 18th and losing their Premier League status after nine seasons, the club admits it may have breached profit and sustainability (PSR) rules, but believes there should be mitigation considered because of how unexpected and unique their rapid decline was. Before relegation, they had won the Premier League, the FA Cup and competed in three European campaigns.

Sean_Nile
First Team
First Team

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 3rd March) Can anyone stop Ipswich

Post by Sean_Nile »

Two things you can't avoid, death an the taxman. Let the full wrath of the law descend on Lester
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

I said after Ipswich scored their late winner on Monday that they will definitely finish top 2 now. They've ridden their luck numerous times this season but keep finding a way to get results which is really annoying for me as I loathe the club.

All remaining games are potential banana skins but I would say Ipswich's two away games at Norwich and Hull are their toughest.
I think Leicester should win their next three but then they have 3 tough games.
Coventry will be tough for us on Saturday as they have players playing for their semi final places although Robins may decide to rest players?
Strangely enough, Southampton may turn out to be our easiest game as they will almost certainly be in the play offs and may rest key players.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

Can’t tell with Ipswich, they play like an also ran mid table team but have found some method of turning around games, Norwich could be 3 up at half time and I’d not be surprised if Ipswich win 4-3

Barring any more injury disasters I honestly believe we will win the next 5 games - it’s gonna be very tense times though.

Leicester might have found their from again but I’m hoping not - either way they are screwed even if they go up they can’t spend significantly on players and will get a points deduction and go back down - imagine thinking it a good idea to spend 115% of revenue on wages!
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

How truly bizarre would it be that we finish on over 100 points and don't go up?
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Is it just me that finds Leicester's excuse really strange?

They should at least have done an Everton and denied everything, a bit like Private Baldrick at Blackadder's court martial in Blackadder goes forth.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Chilli D wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:40 am I said after Ipswich scored their late winner on Monday that they will definitely finish top 2 now. They've ridden their luck numerous times this season but keep finding a way to get results which is really annoying for me as I loathe the club.

All remaining games are potential banana skins but I would say Ipswich's two away games at Norwich and Hull are their toughest.
I think Leicester should win their next three but then they have 3 tough games.
Coventry will be tough for us on Saturday as they have players playing for their semi final places although Robins may decide to rest players?
Strangely enough, Southampton may turn out to be our easiest game as they will almost certainly be in the play offs and may rest key players.
Yes Chilli, the Southampton game may have fallen at the right time for us. :tup:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:22 am How truly bizarre would it be that we finish on over 100 points and don't go up?
Would be a sickener :( but a valiant effort from Farke & his boys.

One would have to be unreasonable to criticise our team, no matter where we finish from now on.
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

Just hope it doesn’t come down to that last game, doubt my heart will stand it in that North Stand 🙄🙄🙄
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Ipswich.

I'm not sure if they are more like the cop in Terminator 2 or the Borg.

But seeing Moore has had a lorry load of frozen nitrogen dumped on him that may help to slow him down a bit, but he may only miss one game.

But the research coming out of Starfleet is less hopeful, apparently it seems that every time someone tried to inject antimatter into Leif Davis boots he just shouts "resistance is futile" and bangs in another cross.

Rumour has it that Bielsa has been asked ( via Kenny) to say the name of their team seven times in the hope they all die laughing and we go up on goal difference.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

One game at a time now from now on for me.
It's possible we get promoted, but equally possible we don't, it will be a sickener for whichever of the top 3 don't get automatic but will have another shot via the play offs, could they take it !!
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

mentalcase wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:01 am One game at a time now from now on for me.
It's possible we get promoted, but equally possible we don't, it will be a sickener for whichever of the top 3 don't get automatic but will have another shot via the play offs, could they take it !!
I'll be surprised if whoever finishes 3rd wins the play-offs.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Barlow Boy wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:33 am Just hope it doesn’t come down to that last game, doubt my heart will stand it in that North Stand 🙄🙄🙄
Saints will rest key players, mate.
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

1964white wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:16 am Saints will rest key players, mate.
I mentioned that a few weeks back when I wrote them off, but if we are reliant on the other two results it will be carnage, everyone on their phones, false results coming through and our game thrown into the mix too.

Chaos.
Sean_Nile
First Team
First Team

Post by Sean_Nile »

We are used to teams playing us as though it were their cup final. They put in some extra effort, and get tired from their exertions, then after playing hard and getting somewhat exhausted, their next game is against one of our promotion rival, who roll them over easily because of their exertions against us.

Luckily this is not the case in the 6 game run in. In fact it may be to our advantage that Ipswich play Boro on the 13th and us a week later.

Boro have still got skin in the game since there is a small chance they could still make the playoffs.

Best possible scenario is Boro play hard and win, then when we meet them their team have no energy left and it is a walk over for us
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Barlow Boy wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:33 am Just hope it doesn’t come down to that last game, doubt my heart will stand it in that North Stand 🙄🙄🙄
May the 4th be with us.....🪐
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
ruttermania
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by ruttermania »

We can only really ask that the team keep doing what they have done this calendar year in terms of dealing with what is within their control. It may be destiny that 4 Southampton players turn to stone to enable Sarmiento to fall over and in getting up toe poke the ball into the net or it may just be the roll of the dice . I'm toying with the idea that from now on I will avoid trying to keep up with the Ipswich score to avoid the disappointment that their regular last minute scores have caused . Maybe if all the Leeds fans did that it would suck the life out of their championship challenge as they seem to glory in the agony they are calling . If we ignore them will they cease to exist ?
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

Chilli D wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:52 am May the 4th be with us.....🪐
😂😂😂.

I’ll take anything/luck we can that day mate 😁
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Barlow Boy wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:25 am I mentioned that a few weeks back when I wrote them off, but if we are reliant on the other two results it will be carnage, everyone on their phones, false results coming through and our game thrown into the mix too.

Chaos.
My phone volume will be switched off on my journey to Southwold.

No radio commentary on, I couldn't stand the pressure whilst driving.
Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Post by Finnatic »

Ipswich seem to have that knack of coming up smelling of roses.
You could say it’s a never say die attitude in games, for example, but whatever happens - when it’s your ‘year’ every bit of good fortune seems to go your way, Ipswich have that atm.