Vinyl/CD purchases & collections

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Post Reply
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155176
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Vinyl/CD purchases & collections

Post by 1964white »

Jill is thinking about buying a record deck for my imminent birthday as I've been collecting vinyl over the last year or so along with increasing my huge CD collection.

Had a lovely time in Pocklington this morning, coffee & the best lemon cake I've consumed ever, sitting outside in the sun at a old cafe (new to us) we discovered.

Pock is great place to find second-hand albums in their quality charity shops.

Purchases this morning
Vinyl
Steve Gibbons Band - Down The Bunker £5
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - 4 Way Street £1.50 (Sleeve in poor condition, still has song sheets/info. Vinyl is good)
Melanie - Candles In The Rain £1.50
Bonzo Dog Band - Gorilla £1.50
Bryan Ferry - These Fooling Things £1.50
Cds
Bob Marley - Uprising £1
Bob Marley - Survival £1

Five albums from the seventies for £11 - Amazon are selling the Steve Gibbons album for £200. :shock:

I'll definitely visit Pocklington for a Record Fair on Saturday 24th July
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155176
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Vinyl/CD purchases & collections

Post by 1964white »

Anybody else still collecting vinyl/Cds?
User avatar
Chilli D
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 8783
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:31 pm

Re: Vinyl/CD purchases & collections

Post by Chilli D »

1964white wrote: ↑Tue Apr 21, 2026 1:42 pm Anybody else still collecting vinyl/Cds?
I sold all my vinyl to a collector a couple of years ago. The whole lot for £350. There was some rare stuff in amongst it as well but I couldn't be arsed to sell them individually. They were probably worth three times what I sold them for.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155176
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Vinyl/CD purchases & collections

Post by 1964white »

Chilli D wrote: ↑Tue Apr 21, 2026 2:08 pm I sold all my vinyl to a collector a couple of years ago. The whole lot for £350. There was some rare stuff in amongst it as well but I couldn't be arsed to sell them individually. They were probably worth three times what I sold them for.
I sold my huge vinyl collecton in the late 70s :verysad: to fund a deposit for the first property I purchased.
User avatar
hector
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 14631
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:57 am
Location: In a wood

Re: Vinyl/CD purchases & collections

Post by hector »

I got a record player for my birthday this year, and am starting a vinyl collection again.... very slowly.... feck me it's become expensive !!!
Hopelessly lost.................. But making good time
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79006
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Vinyl/CD purchases & collections

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: ↑Tue Apr 21, 2026 1:41 pm Jill is thinking about buying a record deck for my imminent birthday as I've been collecting vinyl over the last year or so along with increasing my huge CD collection.

Had a lovely time in Pocklington this morning, coffee & the best lemon cake I've consumed ever, sitting outside in the sun at a old cafe (new to us) we discovered.

Pock is great place to find second-hand albums in their quality charity shops.

Purchases this morning
Vinyl
Steve Gibbons Band - Down The Bunker £5
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - 4 Way Street £1.50 (Sleeve in poor condition, still has song sheets/info. Vinyl is good)
Melanie - Candles In The Rain £1.50
Bonzo Dog Band - Gorilla £1.50
Bryan Ferry - These Fooling Things £1.50
Cds
Bob Marley - Uprising £1
Bob Marley - Survival £1

Five albums from the seventies for £11 - Amazon are selling the Steve Gibbons album for £200. :shock:

I'll definitely visit Pocklington for a Record Fair on Saturday 24th July
It's decent but a bit poppy.. Caught in the Act is the one you want, the live album is his masterwork. The Bob Wilson/Dave Carroll lead duel solos on this are top draw. It remains in my top 50 and has since it was released





If I had to pick one single pure Rock and Roll track from history it would be off that album....


"Family crest was a treble cleff"

Last edited by The Subhuman on Tue Apr 21, 2026 4:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
Mick Jones elbow
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2025 12:22 pm

Re: Vinyl/CD purchases & collections

Post by Mick Jones elbow »

My 1000 plus albums went along time ago. Incredibly stupid on my part. What turntable are you going to get leon ? Obviously i don't know your budget but look for a well tempered simplex for relatively cheap but quality deck. Technics for dd rather than belt drive. Then we can get into more upmarket stuff....
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79006
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Vinyl/CD purchases & collections

Post by The Subhuman »

I still have the same deck I bought in 1979..cost me 300 quid then, plus the Ortofon VMS 10E
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79006
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Vinyl/CD purchases & collections

Post by The Subhuman »

Mick Jones elbow wrote: ↑Tue Apr 21, 2026 3:58 pm My 1000 plus albums went along time ago. Incredibly stupid on my part. What turntable are you going to get leon ? Obviously i don't know your budget but look for a well tempered simplex for relatively cheap but quality deck. Technics for dd rather than belt drive. Then we can get into more upmarket stuff....
Agree re: Direct Drive ...

I still have my, around, 750 vinyl albums, plus 300 ish cassettes... Stopped buying both in 1993 when I got my first CD player. All CD's since then bar a brief flirtation with downloading albums (all of which are now lost on a number of dead computers)
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
Evan R
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 843
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2025 2:38 am
Location: Southern Illinois

Re: Vinyl/CD purchases & collections

Post by Evan R »

I love listening to vinyl. My collection. A mix of original pressings from my dad's collection from the 60s and 70s that I have inherited and ones I've picked up through the years. So much now is lost in the playlists/streaming era, in my opinion. Putting on an album and listening all the way through, enjoying the art work etc. are aspects I greatly enjoy,
Image
User avatar
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 9726
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:45 am
Location: Where God finally got it right.

Re: Vinyl/CD purchases & collections

Post by CUSSIE01 »

1964white wrote: ↑Tue Apr 21, 2026 1:42 pm Anybody else still collecting vinyl/Cds?
Was always a cassette and then CD collector as I wanted to be able to always have music with me. Still have them all although with all the various ways of listening to music they’re very rarely listened to. Still have a cassette/CD player in the garage for when I’m working.
“ If you’re going to try, go all the way. Otherwise don’t even start “ Charles Bukowski.
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79006
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Vinyl/CD purchases & collections

Post by The Subhuman »

Evan R wrote: ↑Tue Apr 21, 2026 4:17 pm I love listening to vinyl. My collection. A mix of original pressings from my dad's collection from the 60s and 70s that I have inherited and ones I've picked up through the years. So much now is lost in the playlists/streaming era, in my opinion. Putting on an album and listening all the way through, enjoying the art work etc. are aspects I greatly enjoy,
Image
You also get every single note from every single instrument. Even CD's fall down on this. Years ago I bought a Marantz SACD player and a couple of SACD albums and the difference listening to the standard Dark Side to the SADC Dark Side is unbelieveable. You hear instrumentation missing on downloads, streams and CD's

So then I dug my vinyl copy out and it's, maybe, even better. Though my vinyl copy isn't pristine. I played a lot of albums to death

Agree re albums as artwork, it's one of the reasons a single bad track can break an album and the Beatles always managed one or two bad tracks per album..
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155176
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Vinyl/CD purchases & collections

Post by 1964white »

CUSSIE01 wrote: ↑Tue Apr 21, 2026 4:21 pm Was always a cassette and then CD collector as I wanted to be able to always have music with me. Still have them all although with all the various ways of listening to music they’re very rarely listened to. Still have a cassette/CD player in the garage for when I’m working.
I recall unravelling many tapes when they got stuck in a cassette player, ending up in a tangled mess. :lol:

Cassettes have made a bit of a comeback, record & charity shops are selling them again.
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155176
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Vinyl/CD purchases & collections

Post by 1964white »

Evan R wrote: ↑Tue Apr 21, 2026 4:17 pm I love listening to vinyl. My collection. A mix of original pressings from my dad's collection from the 60s and 70s that I have inherited and ones I've picked up through the years. So much now is lost in the playlists/streaming era, in my opinion. Putting on an album and listening all the way through, enjoying the art work etc. are aspects I greatly enjoy,
Image
Excellent Evan. :tup:

I was trying to distinghuish your albums by the splne. :-D

Blood On The Tracks is a masterpiece.
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155176
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Vinyl/CD purchases & collections

Post by 1964white »

The Subhuman wrote: ↑Tue Apr 21, 2026 3:54 pm It's decent but a bit poppy.. Caught in the Act is the one you want, the live album is his masterwork. The Bob Wilson/Dave Carroll lead duel solos on this are top draw. It remains in my top 50 and has since it was released





If I had to pick one single pure Rock and Roll track from history it would be off that album....


"Family crest was a treble cleff"

I was reminded of you being a fan of Gibbons, as soon I picked up the album out of the racks, released in 1978. I have 'Caught In The Act' on CD.

I saw the Steve Gibbons Band at the Leeds Uni about 1976/77.
User avatar
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 9726
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:45 am
Location: Where God finally got it right.

Re: Vinyl/CD purchases & collections

Post by CUSSIE01 »

1964white wrote: ↑Tue Apr 21, 2026 4:59 pm I recall unravelling many tapes when they got stuck in a cassette player, ending up in a tangled mess. :lol:

Cassettes have made a bit of a comeback, record & charity shops are selling them again.
Was usually the tape deck in the car that unravelled mine but a bic pen soon got them sorted again.
“ If you’re going to try, go all the way. Otherwise don’t even start “ Charles Bukowski.
User avatar
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 22381
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:02 pm
Location: Plovdiv, Bulgaria

Re: Vinyl/CD purchases & collections

Post by White Riot »

Chilli D wrote: ↑Tue Apr 21, 2026 2:08 pm I sold all my vinyl to a collector a couple of years ago. The whole lot for £350. There was some rare stuff in amongst it as well but I couldn't be arsed to sell them individually. They were probably worth three times what I sold them for.
I did the same when we emigrated to Canada Chilli. It was a bit of a wrench, but couldn't justify transporting them and the collector was genuinely thrilled, so they were going to a good home.

I gave a lot of my singles away to mates as a goodbye present as I knew they were big fans of specific artists.

I watch and listen to everything on YouTube now, so no big deal tbh.
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155176
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Vinyl/CD purchases & collections

Post by 1964white »

hector wrote: ↑Tue Apr 21, 2026 3:04 pm I got a record player for my birthday this year, and am starting a vinyl collection again.... very slowly.... feck me it's become expensive !!!
I only buy second-hand vinyl for that reason, Hector.

£5 is my general limit, £10 maximum.

I refused to buy Steve Hillage's 'Green' album as the store wanted £20 for it. I already own the CD.

Those five albums I purchased this morning were bargains! Anything decent from the 70s, shops slap a hefty price on them.
User avatar
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 9726
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:45 am
Location: Where God finally got it right.

Re: Vinyl/CD purchases & collections

Post by CUSSIE01 »

White Riot wrote: ↑Tue Apr 21, 2026 5:25 pm I did the same when we emigrated to Canada Chilli. It was a bit of a wrench, but couldn't justify transporting them and the collector was genuinely thrilled, so they were going to a good home.

I gave a lot of my singles away to mates as a goodbye present as I knew they were big fans of specific artists.

I watch and listen to everything on YouTube now, so no big deal tbh.
I love YouTube for all the live versions of track’s & concerts, I won’t pay for the ad free version so it’s bl**dy annoying when someone sticks an add in the middle of a longer track 🤬 Those people should be hunted down & beaten with a shitty stick.
“ If you’re going to try, go all the way. Otherwise don’t even start “ Charles Bukowski.
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79006
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Vinyl/CD purchases & collections

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: ↑Tue Apr 21, 2026 4:59 pm I recall unravelling many tapes when they got stuck in a cassette player, ending up in a tangled mess. :lol:

Cassettes have made a bit of a comeback, record & charity shops are selling them again.
Nothings perfect, Vinyl gets warped or scratched if not careful, Tapes break or unravel, CD's also scratch easily. downloads get lost, streaming is low quality
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
Post Reply