Redders

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
theleedsmango
First Team
First Team

Re: Redders

Post by theleedsmango »

Think all that Milanic is missing is ability to motivate, to be honest. We were playing really good football in the first half, and flashes of it in the second with high tempo, forward passing. As the players get comfortable this will only improve. We just need to get the players motivated to want to win games, how to remain calm when the opposition is pressing and to find a plan B to resort to when plan A (the diamond) isn't working.

Redders had the motivation factor, granted. But ridding Milanic and hiring Redfearn permanently won't guarantee that the motivation sustains past 3 of 4 games.
"Please understand that the theory that every Leeds discussion converges to a finite, but uninformed, debate on the Chairman is one we must all question and actively counter" - Stephen Hawkings
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @MartynStead

Redders

Post by Martyn »

It's come to a sad state of affairs when you have to "get the players motivated to want to win games". Maybe they are paid so much nowadays that they don't care whether they win or not, but one thing is certain - people like Billy Bremner didn't need to be motivated to want to win.
Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.
CptCrash
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Twitter: @foxobilly

Post by CptCrash »

Guildford White wrote:It's come to a sad state of affairs when you have to "get the players motivated to want to win games". Maybe they are paid so much nowadays that they don't care whether they win or not, but one thing is certain - people like Billy Bremner didn't need to be motivated to want to win.
Indeed a sad state.
theleedsmango
First Team
First Team

Post by theleedsmango »

Guildford White wrote:It's come to a sad state of affairs when you have to "get the players motivated to want to win games". Maybe they are paid so much nowadays that they don't care whether they win or not, but one thing is certain - people like Billy Bremner didn't need to be motivated to want to win.
Indeed. Players just don't seem frustrated when losing games. Not just in our team, throughout the leagues. There was no bite in our team after they equalised. I'm not one to condone bad tackles, but when they were pressing us, we needed to press back and show we were still there; rough em up a little bit. The only player who does, Bellusci, is liable to take it too far. The pullback on Austin should have been a definite yellow card but it should have fired him up. Rotherham got physical and had the desire to win the game. We didn't.
"Please understand that the theory that every Leeds discussion converges to a finite, but uninformed, debate on the Chairman is one we must all question and actively counter" - Stephen Hawkings
Drs.Dad
Manager
Manager

Post by Drs.Dad »

theleedsmango wrote:
Indeed. Players just don't seem frustrated when losing games. Not just in our team, throughout the leagues. There was no bite in our team after they equalised. I'm not one to condone bad tackles, but when they were pressing us, we needed to press back and show we were still there; rough em up a little bit. The only player who does, Bellusci, is liable to take it too far. The pullback on Austin should have been a definite yellow card but it should have fired him up. Rotherham got physical and had the desire to win the game. We didn't.

I still find it difficult to believe that the ref was too thick to see that as a foul. It took me back to the days when I took both my lads to Judo training. It was very similar to a throw called Ushiro Goshi, and in competition would have been a throw which ended the match with an outright win, as Austin landed flat on his back!
:shock:
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

It is ridiculous to suggest a change of manager - crikey if a manager doesn't win a match get rid of him until we find one that wins every match. Many of us looked at Cellino's record in terms of hiring and firing and were appalled yet seem to be even quicker to pull the trigger.

Yes Redfearn achieved a good points tally but luck also played a huge part as well as our keeper being man of th ematch in 3 of the 4 games. Bournemouth battered us and could have been 6 or 7 up before we even got going. Would anyone really be clamouring for Redfearn if Bournemouth had taken their chances?

Yes we battered Huddersfield but Smithies, in goal for them, should have saved Rudi Austin's shot. Austin hit a much better shot v Sheff Wed, at 0-0, which Westwood saved brilliantly. That's the fickle nature of football - if we didn't get the soft goal v Huddersfield maybe they don't roll over, if we get the goal v Sheff Wed maybe we win that game.

Football is so fickle that to judge any manager over a handful of games is a nonsense because of the part luck can play, or a bad decision by the ref etc. Yes if after 20 or 30 games we are struggling then maybe the Manager is too blame but on Friday night the Manager got it right - the players however self destrcuted after going in front. For 30 minutes we controlled the game, passed it around for fun and had twice as much possession as Rotherham. We got the goal and that should have been game over , simply keep the ball with sideways passing for 60 minutes. However Rotherham went direct and the players panicked and forgot how to pass, we gave the ball away time after time allowing Rotherham to build pressure and our players cracked. Our midfield did nothing for 40 minutes until we went 2-1 down.

Again though football is a fickle business. A minute or two before we scored their player had a golden opportuntiy after breaking clear but hit a weak shot straight at Silvestre. A turning point indeed as within a minute or two we went in front. Fast forward to the second half and Mowatt makes an opening for himself and shoots straight at their keeper, again a turning point as a minute later Rotherham are level.

Let's get behind the manager and the team. It will take time for him to get the players playing how he wants them and whilst we may have taken a step backwards it might just be the first step in a long journey forwards.
ldsutd
First Team
First Team

Post by ldsutd »

weasel wrote:It is ridiculous to suggest a change of manager - crikey if a manager doesn't win a match get rid of him until we find one that wins every match. Many of us looked at Cellino's record in terms of hiring and firing and were appalled yet seem to be even quicker to pull the trigger.

Yes Redfearn achieved a good points tally but luck also played a huge part as well as our keeper being man of th ematch in 3 of the 4 games. Bournemouth battered us and could have been 6 or 7 up before we even got going. Would anyone really be clamouring for Redfearn if Bournemouth had taken their chances?

Yes we battered Huddersfield but Smithies, in goal for them, should have saved Rudi Austin's shot. Austin hit a much better shot v Sheff Wed, at 0-0, which Westwood saved brilliantly. That's the fickle nature of football - if we didn't get the soft goal v Huddersfield maybe they don't roll over, if we get the goal v Sheff Wed maybe we win that game.

Football is so fickle that to judge any manager over a handful of games is a nonsense because of the part luck can play, or a bad decision by the ref etc. Yes if after 20 or 30 games we are struggling then maybe the Manager is too blame but on Friday night the Manager got it right - the players however self destrcuted after going in front. For 30 minutes we controlled the game, passed it around for fun and had twice as much possession as Rotherham. We got the goal and that should have been game over , simply keep the ball with sideways passing for 60 minutes. However Rotherham went direct and the players panicked and forgot how to pass, we gave the ball away time after time allowing Rotherham to build pressure and our players cracked. Our midfield did nothing for 40 minutes until we went 2-1 down.

Again though football is a fickle business. A minute or two before we scored their player had a golden opportuntiy after breaking clear but hit a weak shot straight at Silvestre. A turning point indeed as within a minute or two we went in front. Fast forward to the second half and Mowatt makes an opening for himself and shoots straight at their keeper, again a turning point as a minute later Rotherham are level.

Let's get behind the manager and the team. It will take time for him to get the players playing how he wants them and whilst we may have taken a step backwards it might just be the first step in a long journey forwards.
Totally agree with this, I think Redders was a little fortunate with his wins. :tup:
CptCrash
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by CptCrash »

Disagree.

It's always easy in sport to blame the fine margins, the post being hit, the missed chance the offside wrongly given etc. etc.

The fact is we looked, played and felt different under Redders. We did turn it around at Bournemouth, we did come back at Birmingham, we did outclass Huddersfield. Since then we haven't done those kind of things and in fact have looked pretty weak.

Time will tell, believe me of course I hope we beat Norwich, then Wolves and then onto Cardiff with Darko leading us to great things. I just don't see him as the answer and I think we had that answer a few weeks back.

It's been too long outside the top flight, all we all want is the best crack at getting there.

Lets move on and hope for wins soon.

LLL
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Said at the time I didn't want Redfearn replaced mainly based on the if it ain't broke principle, but we did replace him and sent him back to the academy (where he's doing a great job but I could see him leave for a management position in league 1/2.)

Now that Darko is here, and he does at least look like he does have a clue, we need to wait and see how it pans out. It's early days but a bad start...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @MartynStead

Post by Martyn »

Each of this season's managers / coaches has had 4 league games in charge.

Under Milanic we are every bit as goal-shy as we were under Hockaday, but at least we are conceding fewer, so that's some sort of progress.
Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.
leedsmad
First Team
First Team

Post by leedsmad »

Guildford White wrote:Each of this season's managers / coaches has had 4 league games in charge.

Under Milanic we are every bit as goal-shy as we were under Hockaday, but at least we are conceding fewer, so that's some sort of progress.
very worrying , Redders was starting to build stability and confidence in the side . What's that old saying if it ain't broken ? don't fix it :?
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

CptCrash wrote:Disagree.

It's always easy in sport to blame the fine margins, the post being hit, the missed chance the offside wrongly given etc. etc.

The fact is we looked, played and felt different under Redders. We did turn it around at Bournemouth, we did come back at Birmingham, we did outclass Huddersfield. Since then we haven't done those kind of things and in fact have looked pretty weak.

Time will tell, believe me of course I hope we beat Norwich, then Wolves and then onto Cardiff with Darko leading us to great things. I just don't see him as the answer and I think we had that answer a few weeks back.

It's been too long outside the top flight, all we all want is the best crack at getting there.

Lets move on and hope for wins soon.

LLL
Never gonna change your mind - happy to have you keep firing managers every 4 games, get Redfearn in, perhaps he doesn't get the luck and sack him after 4 games too. Crieky how many times would you have sacked Fergie?
CptCrash
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by CptCrash »

I wouldn't sack Managers after every 4 games because quite frankly would not appoint the likes of a Forest Green failure and Darko. Move on.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

CptCrash wrote:I wouldn't sack Managers after every 4 games because quite frankly would not appoint the likes of a Forest Green failure and Darko. Move on.
So you would hire Redfearn, 11 wins in 58 matches as a manager prior to Leeds. The same Neil Redfearn who resigned from his last managerial job, in the conference after gaining just 1 point from their opening 9 matches. A record which was worse than David Hockaday's Forest Green side.

You would also appoint the failed conference manager Redfearn over Milanic - a manager that has a cv boasting 4 league championships and 3 cup wins as a manager.
theleedsmango
First Team
First Team

Post by theleedsmango »

Records mean little when compared with how you are currently performing.

Would I have hired Redfearn at the start of the season? Most likely no.
Would I have given Redfearn the permanent job following his impressive, if-not-slightly-fortunate, run? Yes.
Would I fire the current manager and take the risk of appointing Redfearn? Absolutely not.

Three completely different circumstances that would have seen Redfearn as manager and different answers to each. When he was caretaker manager, we had little to lose giving him an extended run out and he showed his worth. However, we've missed the boat on that and to fire Darko/hire Redfearn has as much risk attached to it as to hire any other manager.

Darko will go if and when he shows no progress in his job. Firing a manager because you think someone else could bring you more success is not the way to go. It creates a bad atmosphere amongst the fans and players and it puts any new manager under increasing pressure. Judge a manager on his ability to do the job, not the potential ability of someone else. Hockaday showed the job was too big for him (regardless that there were better candidates out there.)
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Exactly Mango - I would agree entriely.

When Redfearn became temporary boss it was only that, nobody expected the results he got and as such I doubt any of us would have minded seeing him given longer to see whether the results were just lucky or he was the right man for the job.

Once Milanic was appointed it is important to give him a chance to succeed. Just cos he is foreign does not mean he is not a talented Manager, you don't win 4 championships by fluke even if you have a strong team.
CptCrash
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by CptCrash »

Good decision today
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Ridiculous decision to fire Milanic - or perhaps the ridiculous decision was the one to hire him cos 32 days is a ridiculous amount of time and no chance for a new manager to get to know the squad, who fits where, who links up well with who, implement defensive systems etc.

Hopefully Redfearn can carry on the progress it looked like he was making and show that he was not just fortunate but that he can step up to the plate for the long term (although with Cellino the long term would still see him out by xmas). I was not against Redfearn simply against hiring and firing managers after just 4/6 games and worry what will happen if he fails to get a win for 3 or 4 matches.

Redfearn has to work out cos really can't see any decent manager wanting to leave a job to come to Leeds so we'd be after some unemployed manager such as Hockaday again. Dread to think how much the Milanic appointment has cost the club.
CptCrash
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by CptCrash »

weasel wrote:Ridiculous decision to fire Milanic - or perhaps the ridiculous decision was the one to hire him cos 32 days is a ridiculous amount of time and no chance for a new manager to get to know the squad, who fits where, who links up well with who, implement defensive systems etc.

Hopefully Redfearn can carry on the progress it looked like he was making and show that he was not just fortunate but that he can step up to the plate for the long term (although with Cellino the long term would still see him out by xmas). I was not against Redfearn simply against hiring and firing managers after just 4/6 games and worry what will happen if he fails to get a win for 3 or 4 matches.

Redfearn has to work out cos really can't see any decent manager wanting to leave a job to come to Leeds so we'd be after some unemployed manager such as Hockaday again. Dread to think how much the Milanic appointment has cost the club.
Lets hope it does work out (if it doesn't Christ knows!!) and yes, I think the real issue here was another lousy, ill judged appointment. He knew nothing about the league, nothing about English football and from the get go could not communicate. Would imagine its all been costly in every sense.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote:Ridiculous decision to fire Milanic - or perhaps the ridiculous decision was the one to hire him cos 32 days is a ridiculous amount of time and no chance for a new manager to get to know the squad, who fits where, who links up well with who, implement defensive systems etc.

Well i for one shall feel more confident next Saturday on my 18 hour trip to & fro Cardiff after today's 2nd half fiasco !

Ineptitude must be Darko's middle name :oops: