Gary Kelly

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Gary Kelly

Post by YorkshireSquare »

I've been contacted by a football writer from Ireland who is writing a book on book about the varying fortunes of Irish players in professional football in England. In one of the chapters he focuses on some of the very best Irish players to have played in the top flight in England including former Leeds player Gary Kelly. He wondered if we could answer the following questions for him.

1) How would you describe Kelly's playing style and his greatest attributes as a Leeds player?

2) Those were heady days for Leeds, with Irishman David O'Leary at the helm and Ian Harte also in the side. Stephen McPhail too, to a certain degree. How big a part did these four (Kelly, Harte, O'Leary and McPhail) play in Leeds' success in this period?

3) How highly would you rate Kelly in terms of the finest Leeds full-backs you've seen. There's been quite a few, to my memory?
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Gary Kelly

Post by 1964white »

Certainly behind Reaney & Madeley as right-back
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator

1964white wrote:Certainly behind Reaney & Madeley as right-back
And an on form Danny Mills for me but he certainly made a valuable contribution to the club.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Shields53 wrote:
And an on form Danny Mills for me but he certainly made a valuable contribution to the club.
Yes i would agree :tup: Sterland was also a decent RB in his short-lived career at Leeds
hibbi86
First Team
First Team
Twitter: @Hibbi86

Post by hibbi86 »

i would say when Gary Kelly was defending id would name his style "dog" by no means do i mean this in a bad light for Gary Kelly,

He would hassle and hound the opposing player, he was ever present in the leeds starting line up and he was extremely loyal to the club.
Forever and ever we shall follow are team, because we're Leeds United we rule supreme!
barryanorak
Manager
Manager

Post by barryanorak »

Playing style?

Goal machine...

Ahem.
Music so wishes to be heard that it sometimes calls on unlikely characters to give it voice...

YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator

barryanorak wrote:Goal machine...
Own goal machine, score 6 against us I believe.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Never a great player but a good and competent one like his left-back partner - Ian Harte. Helped by a top notch goal keeper and a group of quality centre backs and a strong midfield to have a good defensive record at the peak of his era. However, he did make it into the Premier League award team at least once (maybe more) so he was no slouch
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

When Kevin Blackwell managed Leeds there was only him and Gary Kelly :-)
gessa

Post by gessa »

Shields53 wrote:
1) How would you describe Kelly's playing style and his greatest attributes as a Leeds player?

2) Those were heady days for Leeds, with Irishman David O'Leary at the helm and Ian Harte also in the side. Stephen McPhail too, to a certain degree. How big a part did these four (Kelly, Harte, O'Leary and McPhail) play in Leeds' success in this period?

3) How highly would you rate Kelly in terms of the finest Leeds full-backs you've seen. There's been quite a few, to my memory?
My opinions;
1) His pace was his greatest asset,which at first he needed as his positional play was pretty poor, but considering he was an accidental Right Back, he started out as Right Winger, but was put at RB as cover for Sterland by Wilko, this was no surprise, as time went on his positional play did improve but defending never seemed natural to him as quite a few mistimed tackles proved over the years.
2) The O'Leary days were exciting times for Leeds fans, first O'Leary blended a few young players into a squad that was built on the foundations laid by George Graham, this created a very good mix of players and we played some great football. O'Leary's problems for me was he had to much money at his disposal,he built unbalanced squad,he bought players in for who they were rather than what the team needed, we had 5 strikers at the club but only one recognised Left Back, Ian Harte, who scored a lot of important goals from free kicks but for how many points he got us from those goals , I feel he cost us just as many goals, because of him being an average defender, his lack of pace cost us a few goals, one game I remember was a 2-3 home defeat to Newcastle, Solano ran him ragged all game, with his crosses creating all 3 goals, that was a game I also started to question O'Leary's abilities, it was clear that Harte was being shown up but no change was made to either substitute him or give him more protection from midfield. McPhail, I believed would be a big player for us for years to come, but things didn't turn out well for the club so it wasn't to be, I remember the pass with the outside of his boot to JFH away at Derby in one of his first games, it was pure class.I don't really associate Kelly with the O'Leary years, Danny Mills was a better player than Kelly at that time.I think if George Graham had stayed at the club and was given the money O'Leary had, then we would have won something, the football wouldn't have been as exciting but I think we'd have something to show for the gamble that was taken,obviously we will never know how it would have turned out,it's just my opinion.
3)If you mean all full backs then Reaney,Cooper,Frank Gray,Cherry, Mills and Sterland were beter imo.
Dons Legends
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Dons Legends »

I liked Gary Kelly, he was Leeds through and through.
When the ball hits the goal, it's not Shearer or Cole, it's ...... Antenucci.
Osprey
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Osprey »

Terrific fullback. Could tackle and had pace. He's right up there with the best I've seen, Cooper, Reaney, Dorigo possibly better than Sterland.
since 7 October 1967
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Osprey wrote:Terrific fullback. Could tackle and had pace. He's right up there with the best I've seen, Cooper, Reaney, Dorigo possibly better than Sterland.
Welcome to MOT Osprey :tup:
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

gessa wrote:
he started out as Right Winger
He started out as a striker, believe it or not.

I started out writing down memories of the Wilko and O'Leary years, but got depressed and packed in.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
andywatson
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by andywatson »

Interesting how some people remember Kelly (and Harte) as having loads of pace, whilst others remember them having none.

If I remember correctly, both versions are true! The pair started off as the fastest full backs in the premiership, but both seemed to lose their pace almost overnight. Strange- but then what wasn't in those days as a Leeds fan!

I always liked the guy though- I thought he was a decent committed player who understood where he was (as a footballer at Leeds I mean- not always in a positional sense on the pitch!). He could be relied on to put his body on the line, and gave everything he had to the club. In that sense we can ask no more.
Wise.......well lets just say I TOLD YOU SO