No excuses for Roy at Euro 2016

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.

What is the minimum England should achieve at Euro 2016?

Poll ended at Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:08 pm

Group Stage
No votes
Last 16
No votes
Quarter Finals
No votes
Semi Finals
100%
Runners Up
No votes
Winners
No votes

Total votes: 2

Oscar
First Team
First Team

No excuses for Roy at Euro 2016

Post by Oscar »

After being very lucky (in my opinion) to remain England manager following a terrible world cup. Roy Hodgson now has far more options for this summers Euro's, and I feel a lot more positive about England since after the last international break. In goal I think Joe Hart is still England's number 1 keeper by some distance, however, Fraser Forster and Jack Butland are in great form.
The back 4 is our main problem in my opinion if Luke Shaw is fit to play and Baines back from injury we have 2 of the best left backs in Europe (apart from Jordi Alba at Spain) at the moment. However, at right back I don't think we have many options Nathaniel Clyne is probably the best option. At centre back is where my main worry is John Stones and Chris Smalling are probably the best 2 options of what is a position where we lack quality on paper in my opinion.

In central midfield, however, we appear very strong Ross Barkley and Deli Alli are two of the most in form midfielders in Europe at the moment. We don't have many options in terms of natural holding midfielders, however, I will come back to this.
In terms of wingers I don't think we have any outstanding candidates Raheem Sterling and Theo Walcott are probably our best options here. However, I think we can make up for a potential lack of quality here, again I will come back to this :lol:.

In terms of strikers I would say we have the best options in this position by far, Jamie Vardy and Harry Kane are in incredible form. Whilst Wayne Rooney is rediscovering his form. We could have even better options here if Daniel Sturridge returns from injury or Charlie Austin/ Andy Caroll/ Saido Behrahino etc find form.

Not many countries (at the moment) have the amount of players in great form we have in my opinion: Butland, Shaw (before his injury), Barkley, Alli, Kane and Vardy are all contenders for team of the season in the Premier League at the moment. Whilst Hart, Forster, Smalling, Stones, Baines and Rooney are also in good form in my opinion.

At the moment the the team I would go with assuming Shaw and Sturridge return from injury and are in form would be:
A narrow 4-1-2-1-2
GK Hart
RB Clyne
CB Smalling
CB Stones
LB Shaw
CDM Delph/Milner/Henderson/Dier
CM Alli
CM Barkley
CAM Rooney
STR Kane
STR Sturridge/Vardy
With Clyne and Shaw playing as wing backs.
The minimum I would expect this England team to achieve is the semi finals. However, I don't think Roy will play a team like the one that I would pick :lol:, so I am not sure we can make the semi finals.