Changing face of football - another old DVD I have watched

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Changing face of football - another old DVD I have watched

Post by HarryofOz »

Was watching another old DVD today featuring the highlights of seven or so classic FA cup ties from the late 80's to the mid 90's.

A few things stood out.

1. There was hardly a non-British player in sight. The only game where I would say that there were a majority of players from outside Britain and Ireland was a Chelsea team that played Man Utd. And even those that were there were what one would call household names, with a couple of exceptions.

2. The FA Cup matches featured first choice players and it was clear how important the cup was. Even the intro and conclusion focussed on how important and unique the FA cup was as a comp.

3. All the players wore black boots

4. None of the players looked like they spent as much time in the hair-dressing salon as they do on the pitch.

5. The pitches were in a terrible condition

6. There were no choreographed goal celebrations, but there was still plenty of excitement amongst the players when they scored.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Changing face of football - another old DVD I have watched

Post by 1964white »

HarryofOz wrote:Was watching another old DVD today featuring the highlights of seven or so classic FA cup ties from the late 80's to the mid 90's.

A few things stood out.

1. There was hardly a non-British player in sight. The only game where I would say that there were a majority of players from outside Britain and Ireland was a Chelsea team that played Man Utd. And even those that were there were what one would call household names, with a couple of exceptions.

2. The FA Cup matches featured first choice players and it was clear how important the cup was. Even the intro and conclusion focussed on how important and unique the FA cup was as a comp.

3. All the players wore black boots

4. None of the players looked like they spent as much time in the hair-dressing salon as they do on the pitch.

5. The pitches were in a terrible condition

6. There were no choreographed goal celebrations, but there was still plenty of excitement amongst the players when they scored.
Add no diving & feigning injury to that list

The good old days Harry :tup:
rich_leeds64
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @richleeds64

Re: Changing face of football - another old DVD I have watched

Post by rich_leeds64 »

Referees who didn't blow the whistle as soon as the keeper was challenged....