Director of Football

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Director of Football

Post by John in Louisiana »

Victor Orta is our new Director of Football.

https://www.leedsunited.com/news/club-n ... -appointed

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a Director of Football? Isn't that the head coach? Or is it something akin to the general manager in American football?

I imagine this means an announcement on a manager is imminent.
Durly
First Team
First Team

Re: Director of Football

Post by Durly »

Almost certainly going to be Karanka now, I'd say. They worked very closely together at Middlesbrough. Be very surprised if anyone else gets the manager/head coach gig now.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

I think they are meant to oversea a lot of stuff, scouting, transfers etc to allow the manager more time to concentrate on coaching and team selection.
It is very common in European football but less so in England where the managers traditionally like to be involved in everything. How for example though nowadays is a manager supposed to look at players accross the world when they are after a new winger for example. The director of football and his assembled team should be able to do the scouting for a type of player that the manager wants - i.e. manager says 'he needs to be quick, don't mind if he can't cross or shoot' and the director compiles a list with the name Hadi Sacko at the top.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote:I think they are meant to oversea a lot of stuff, scouting, transfers etc to allow the manager more time to concentrate on coaching and team selection.
It is very common in European football but less so in England where the managers traditionally like to be involved in everything. How for example though nowadays is a manager supposed to look at players accross the world when they are after a new winger for example. The director of football and his assembled team should be able to do the scouting for a type of player that the manager wants - i.e. manager says 'he needs to be quick, don't mind if he can't cross or shoot' and the director compiles a list with the name Hadi Sacko at the top.
So this is the reason why Monk resigned
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Durly wrote:Almost certainly going to be Karanka now, I'd say. They worked very closely together at Middlesbrough. Be very surprised if anyone else gets the manager/head coach gig now.
Yes looking a certainty now
gessa

Post by gessa »

Durly wrote:Almost certainly going to be Karanka now, I'd say. They worked very closely together at Middlesbrough. Be very surprised if anyone else gets the manager/head coach gig now.

1/3 at Skybet now. Looks a certainty.

Would prefer Laudrup but I think it could be worse.
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

weasel wrote:I think they are meant to oversea a lot of stuff, scouting, transfers etc to allow the manager more time to concentrate on coaching and team selection.
:roflmao: :roflmao:

Got it. So it is very much like the general manager's position in American football or baseball.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Yes I think the GM role in Baseball is very similar as it leaves the manager free to coach, manage, work out tactics etc. The idea is that there is a whole office team doing their jobs and as such the manager is just one cog and if the manager leaves everything else is still in place (coaching team etc).
damobrien
Ballboy
Ballboy
Twitter: @damobrien2011

Post by damobrien »

He was courting Jokanovic for Middlesborough, although I think that would only have come to fruition if they had of remained in the Premiership. Looking very likely now that Karanka is our man. Although not many good words from Boro fans regarding Orta's recruitment policy.
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

damobrien wrote:He was courting Jokanovic for Middlesborough, although I think that would only have come to fruition if they had of remained in the Premiership. Looking very likely now that Karanka is our man. Although not many good words from Boro fans regarding Orta's recruitment policy.
Would love it if he could bring him to Leeds !! Rather Jokanovic' style of football over Karanka's any day !
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!