Wayne Rooney

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Wayne Rooney

Post by Cjay »

So with his international retirement and his 200th Premier League goal coming so close together the press will be jerking themselves silly over him at least until next week :roll:
Got me thinking, just how good is he/was he :?:

For me, taking me LUFC fan hat off and putting on my football fan hat :clap:

Good player on his day, cant argue with his Premier League goals and 53 England ones, that takes a good player :clapshout:

However apart from Euro 2004 his International tournament performances have been poor. Wasnt fit for the World Cup in 2006 and got sent off, Scored no goals in 2010, did nothing of note at Euro 2012 or his last World Cup. In fairness England were poor as a group for basically every tournament, but world class players make the difference, Maradona for Argentina and Ronaldo for Portugal.

Then you ask "well would he of got in to the great club sides" in my lifetime the best club side is Peps Barcelona. And the answer for me is no, not a chance with a full strength squad he would of started.

For me he is a good player maybe even great at times, but greatly over exaggerated by the media, because of who he played for, because of his early years, because no matter form or fitness he played club or country for the best part of 15 years.

He is a striker thats his primary role most of his career, Manchester Uniteds top scorer and England so he will be remembered long after his retirement, for that he deserves credit.

But 2 players of similar age, who the media often said he was Englands version of, our "world class" talent. Both like Wayne attacking players, as an attacking player your judged on goals, both those players have over 500 in i think im right in saying less career appearances then Rooney has made, Rooney has managed 300 goals.

Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi are world class, Wayne Rooney never was in my opinion.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Wayne Rooney

Post by Norm »

Ditto
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

In the paper again for the wrong reasons.

I'm not a footballer Wayne but bit of advice, your a famous dude with an attractive and intelligent wife and kids, everyone knows that.

So if some girl gets in your car half cut shes probably a fame hungry cow, as shown by the 503 interviews she has given in a few days.
Signed

King Cjay

weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

In typical english style a player that looked great but never improved. Certainly can't knock his goalscoring record but never really hit that top class mark and in my opinion would have him well down the list.
beer belly bert
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by beer belly bert »

take the football career he`s had out of the equation and look at him as a person

9yr marriage , 3 kids , 1 kid on the way , no money worries , secure for the rest of his life , best advice available on any issues, sponsors falling over to throw money at him , all this tells me is that the bloke is a bell end , if you don't want to be with colleen leave her , don't cheat on her , it`s not the 1st time and it wont be the last . think we all know what was on the cards if the old bill were not there to nick him . :tdown:
I could stop drinking but im not a quitter
liggy
First Team
First Team

Post by liggy »

Some sound advice their from beer bellys.
Could MOT not have an agony section.,
With eg dear Bert....a friend of mine needs some advice because he's been tomin around while his wife's been at the bingo ..
Mind you them hounds that Rooney gets caught with he needs to get to the pox clinic double sharpish
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Quality footballer, one of the best England has produced over the last decade or so.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

HarryofOz wrote:
Quality footballer, one of the best England has produced over the last decade or so.
I remember, in 2004, sitting at the bar in the Radisson SAS hotel on Manchester Airport the night before we flew back to the U.S., watching the Euros and thinking what an exciting prospect Rooney was. In that tournament he was fresh, really good both on and off the ball and exciting. I thought we surely had a world-beater on our hands for England.
Unfortunately, despite flashes of what he could have been in subsequent years, I never had that impression of him again.
I agree with CJay and weasel.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

liggy wrote:Some sound advice their from beer bellys.
Could MOT not have an agony section.,
With eg dear Bert....a friend of mine needs some advice because he's been tomin around while his wife's been at the bingo ..
Mind you them hounds that Rooney gets caught with he needs to get to the pox clinic double sharpish
:roflmao:
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

So he gets an appearance named after his Charity with his Charity benefiting in some way.

Fair enough if its for Charity, but why cant he just be presented with something at Half Time or whatever?

Why does he need to appear?

Why does he get a free cap?

DOnt get it.
Signed

King Cjay

whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

The FA baffle me Cjay, what are they thinking?
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Decent game, decent performance.

Dont begrudge Rooney getting his plaque.

Or the fact it was for charity.

But was all a bit self absorbed.

He didnt need to play, the pundits were nauseating in there praise just like they have been for the last 15 years.

Know other countries do it,

Germany did for Podolski, Brazil did for Ronaldo.

But they achieved something at International level :roll:

Rooney scored 7 goals in 6 tournaments, 4 in his first so 3 in his next 5, thats crap.
Signed

King Cjay

lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Granny shagger and overrated
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson