Burnley v Leeds - Team/Reports/Ratings....

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Burnley v Leeds - Team/Reports/Ratings....

Post by 1964white »

rich_leeds64 wrote:Struggled to get on tonight, thought the site must have gone into meltdown after witnessing five of the best penalties from a Leeds side in my lifetime. Great win, bring on the last 16.
I lost MOT & the stream just before the final whistle. Listen to extra-time through the radio commentary
rich_leeds64
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @richleeds64

Post by rich_leeds64 »

1964white wrote:I lost MOT & the stream just before the final whistle. Listen to extra-time through the radio commentary
I saw bits of the match and watched penalties on Periscope but there's quite a delay and people kept posting the score before the penalty which was a bit annoying. First time I'd heard about the new format for penalty shoot outs.
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

Watched the game on BeIn Sports while having Popey and Noel's radio leeds comm. Was a faultless stream albeit couple of mins behind real time.

Lonergan was superb all night, he's a great keeper to have as a No2. Felix needs to make sure he keeps playing well.

O'Shaugnessy was like Pontus - it was like the ball was sucked to him. So many great clearances and interceptions.
Sacko - a different player totally last night. Best ive seen him play in a Leeds shirt and he showed composure in actually finishing he's chance. Superb from Pablo when he came on especially that stunning pass for Hadi's goal.

Grot looks very very raw.......cant see him being a regular for a good while. Cibicki decent in flashes. Klick played well and that pen was just ice ice cool baby :-)

Delighted to be in the next round and really hope we get one of the big boys, home or away. Spurs at Wembley would be magic !!
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Enjoyed the game

Played in the right way lots of tasty challenges and such from both sides. :hammer:

Burnley play very direct which not to keen on but whatever works, lots of long diagonal hoofs to Vokes/Wood and look to pick up the knockdowns, thought we handled them reasonably well, they scored from a penalty and a great free kick, not open play.

Lonergan-8 . .did really well apart from think it was 1 Silvestri like flap, but apart from that he played well, distribution not the best though.
Berardi- 7.5 . .would have been an 8 but the pulling to concede the pen was dumb, clattered Charlie Taylor and defended well, great to have him back.
Borthwick-Jackson- 5 . .poor, out of position, gave the ball away, conceded freekicks, really poor and on that display Anita is safe at left back.
Ayling- 8 . .Great display as usual, for a right back playing center back he is excellent, the runs up the field though do make me panic, but never seems to be caught out of position from them.
O'Shaughnessy- 9 . . thought he was fantastic, didnt allow himself to be bullied, positioning was great, won his tackles, not at fault for any goals conceded, really well done.
Vieira-8 . . seemed a bit rusty with his passing at times, but he protected the back four and broke up play well, strong as an ox for such a little guy, never stopped running, was his intervention that ended with Sacko scoring also, good performence from the young lad.
Klich 9.1 , , My Man of the Match, just ahead of O'Shaughnessy, thought he was brilliant, first real look at him, tackled and broke up play like Vieira, but wasnt afraid to drive forward with the ball and his penalty was just superb, if Phillips and O'Kane both start against Ipswich id be surprised.
Roofe-7 . .Did ok, nothing spectacular but he tried and worked hard.
Dallas 7.5 . . Would have been 7 for his wing play, tried to get forward but like Roofe struggled a bit, however his versatility gets him an extra half a point.
Cibicki-6.5 . . Looks very lightweight, but he made a few nice runs and some decent passes, for a first game he did ok.
Grot-6.5 . . Struggled, didnt hold the ball up well enough, won a few headers and did work hard, touch wasnt the best and should have done better with his chance early on but there were glimpses, ran down the right took a few on and won a throw, theres a talent there, 6 but 6,5 for sending Charlie Taylor flying.

Subs
Lasogga 6.5 . .Tried to use his strength but didnt have much impact, his penalty was well taken though, not a bad game, not a good one, he was ok.
Sacko-8.5. . .There were moments of Sackoness, but overall he played extremely well, he gave Charlie Taylor so many problems with his pace and trickery and he found an end product with his goal, most effective wide player by a distance on the day, well played Hadi.
Hernandez-9. . .This is the Hernandez we need to see every game, lovely pass for the goal, well taken penalties, intelligent passing, took people on, found space, brilliant from Pablo and maybe he deserves to go back into the Number 10 role.

Enjoyable little cup tie, Wood and Taylor thing aside Burnley have been playing well this season and to make so many changes, as they did to, but to beat them with what have been our fringe players showed great strength in depth and shows the Coopers, Janssons, Wiedwalds, Phillips, O'Kanes, Alioskis, Saizes etc that they arent safe and will have to fight to stay in the starting 11.

Very happy and great subs TC :scarf2: :scarf2: :shirt: :clap2: :clap:
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Great performance although with a bit of composure we should have won the game just before the 90th minute, what was Berardi doing ?
Then grabbing a lead in added on time we made a mess of it once again with some abysmal clearances from Berardi & Sacko plus a rash challenge from Vieira, a stupid free-kick to give away especially as Burnley had Robbie Brady at their disposal who feeds on those type of situations.
Wouldn't be Leeds if they didn't put us fans through the wringer !

Highlights for me

Shaugnhessy's performance, as cool as a cucumber
Hernandez superb pass for our first goal & his penalty
The re-emergence of Sacko, took his goal so well when I expected him to miss
Taylor going missing
Grot's shoulder charge on soft-boy Charlie
Pleased for Lonergan who's experience was there to be seen
Klich's impressive display
Our penalties in the shoot-out
Christiansen cool look in his designer jumper

7 Lonergan
6 Berardi
7 Ayling
9 Shaughnessy (MOTM)
5 Borthwick-Jackson
7 Vieira
8 Klich
5 Roofe
6 Dallas
6 Cibicki
3 Grot

Subs

8 Sacko
8 Hernandez
6 Lasogga
6 Alioski
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

rab_rant wrote:TC post match.
Thanks rab....doesn't the bloke speak sense nicely :tup:
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

gessa wrote:I think all managers have 1 player that they will always persevere with regardlesss and i think Wiedwald is TC's.
I think you are right, just hope the defence continues to stop us finding out how undroppable TC thinks Felix is :tup:
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

1964white wrote:I also enjoyed when Charlie went missing leaving Sacko with oceans of space to run into :-D

Premiership left-back......you're having a laugh :roflmao:
Speaking of Taylor, have you seen the tweet that Ladbrokes sent to Taylor and Wood 64? It goes something like this...Dear Charlie Taylor and Chris Wood....and then the rude finger gesture...Yours Sincerely Leeds United fans. I would have put it on as a new topic if I knew how to transfer the actual tweet from the bbc sport page 'cos I would like everyone to see it. Thing is that Ladbrokes is Burnley's betting partner and sponsor a stand at Turf Moor. It has not gone down well at all :roflmao:
gessa

Post by gessa »

whiteswan wrote:Speaking of Taylor, have you seen the tweet that Ladbrokes sent to Taylor and Wood 64? It goes something like this...Dear Charlie Taylor and Chris Wood....and then the rude finger gesture...Yours Sincerely Leeds United fans. I would have put it on as a new topic if I knew how to transfer the actual tweet from the bbc sport page 'cos I would like everyone to see it. Thing is that Ladbrokes is Burnley's betting partner and sponsor a stand at Turf Moor. It has not gone down well at all :roflmao:
Burnley v Leeds United: Ladbrokes say sorry for Chris Wood & Charlie Taylor tweet
20 September 2017 Football
Share this with Email Share this with Facebook Share this with Twitter Share this with Whatsapp
Image copyright PA Leeds celebrate
Image caption Leeds United beat Burnley 5-3 on penalties after a 2-2 draw at Turf Moor
Ladbrokes have apologised to Burnley for tweeting an emoji of a middle-finger gesture aimed at two players after Tuesday's EFL Cup loss to Leeds.

The betting company, which has a sponsorship deal with Burnley, aimed the post at ex-Leeds pair Chris Wood and Charlie Taylor.

Leeds beat the Premier League side after a penalty shootout at Turf Moor.

"We would like to sincerely apologise to any fans of the club that took offence," a Ladbrokes statement said.

"We have apologised to Burnley FC."

Wood, 25, and Taylor, 24, moved from Championship side Leeds to Burnley in the summer, with the New Zealand forward scoring an 89th-minute penalty in Tuesday's third-round tie, which ended 2-2 before the shootout.

Burnley had put out a statement on Wednesday saying they were aware of the tweet and had contacted Ladbrokes for comment.

Ladbrokes, who are the club's UK betting partner and sponsor a stand at Turf Moor, told BBC Sport: "They were very poorly conceived tweets which we have since deleted. It was only intended to be a bit of fun but failed in that regard."

Image copyright TWITTER Ladbrokes tweet
More on this story
gessa

Post by gessa »

I have a feeling we'll get Chelsea at home.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

gessa wrote:I have a feeling we'll get Chelsea at home.
Do you know gessa....I was just thinking the same thing myself...I would love that! (Thanks for the Ladbrokes post, the actual tweet is out there somewhere) :lol:
gessa

Post by gessa »

whiteswan wrote:Do you know gessa....I was just thinking the same thing myself...I would love that! (Thanks for the Ladbrokes post, the actual tweet is out there somewhere) :lol:

The tweet was on my copy and paste but did not paste for some reason.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

gessa wrote:The tweet was on my copy and paste but did not paste for some reason.
At least you know how to copy and paste.....I dont :(
gessa

Post by gessa »

whiteswan wrote:At least you know how to copy and paste.....I dont :(

What do you use to post, computer, laptop, tablet??
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

This match reminded me so much of the Norwich cup tie last season which I felt was the real launchpad of our season as the fans really got behind the team and the team gave their all against opponents that were rated higher and after the ups and downs the drama of the penalty shoot out provided the perfect way to end with full excitement. Just like that match we fielded a near reserve side and despite our oppositions doing likewise they both had teams containing players with premiership experience. In both matches there were periods where we were second best yet we had the chances to win both matches before the final drama that the penalties bring.

I definitely feel it will be the perfect lift to the players (and fans) after the Millwall game even if a lot of the starting line up were rested.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

gessa wrote:What do you use to post, computer, laptop, tablet??
Tablet gessa. In fact, at the beginning of the season I didnt want to do predict 6. Last season I fell away because I was typing in every match and it all got a bit tedious and a bit much. Leon very kindly pm'd me with instructions on how to edit, I learned from him and now I'm flying with all competitions (when I say flying I don't mean winning you understand :lol: but at least I can now enter them. ) The crazy thing is that Mr Swan is an IT whizz. He worked at BT headquarters, chief tester of Broadband when it was first developed. The broadband guys would create something and he would try and break it....it was only when he decided that broadband was ready, it was released. I suppose I've relied on him so much to sort out my IT, that I don't really need a computer brain. On saying that....MOTG is my baby in this household...and I just love being a part of it :scarf1:
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

gessa

Post by gessa »

whiteswan wrote:Tablet gessa. In fact, at the beginning of the season I didnt want to do predict 6. Last season I fell away because I was typing in every match and it all got a bit tedious and a bit much. Leon very kindly pm'd me with instructions on how to edit, I learned from him and now I'm flying with all competitions (when I say flying I don't mean winning you understand :lol: but at least I can now enter them. ) The crazy thing is that Mr Swan is an IT whizz. He worked at BT headquarters, chief tester of Broadband when it was first developed. The broadband guys would create something and he would try and break it....it was only when he decided that broadband was ready, it was released. I suppose I've relied on him so much to sort out my IT, that I don't really need a computer brain. On saying that....MOTG is my baby in this household...and I just love being a part of it :scarf1:

I was going to pm you with how to copy and paste but Mr Swan would be better showing you, once you have done it a couple of times it's easy enough.

Glad you're enjoying the competitions and the forum as a whole.
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Copy and Past on a Tablet.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

That pic and post from Berardi says everything about him. He typifies the 'side before self, every time' spirit that the Don fostered amongst his players. He'd have liked Berardi!!
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson