Should Leeds United consider using Beradi as a defensive midfielder

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Should Leeds United consider using Beradi as a defensive midfielder

Post by The Subhuman »

Redfearn has been opening his mouth again but maybe on this occasion he may have something

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/10/20/sh ... -midfield/

I'd not considered this but it makes sense to me that the teams hard man and enforcer should be played inside protecting the back 4. A player like Beradi sat there would mean we'd not need 2 men doing one mans job as we have of late.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
gessa

Re: Should Leeds United consider using Beradi as a defensive midfielder

Post by gessa »

Worth a try, we need someone harder in there I'd try it first on Tuesday though not in a league game.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

I don't think he's a good enough footballer to play in the midfield
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

I vaguely remember this been mentioned in previous seasons, love him to bits but not sure it’s the right for him, myself I think we should be looking at Anita as he’s played this role before and it’s his preferred position
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

HarryofOz wrote:I don't think he's a good enough footballer to play in the midfield
Surely a less technical position to play than full back, I'm not asking him to create in midfield to be the Johnny Giles, he's probably a better passer of the ball than Phillips and no less limited than O'Kane. Remember Vinny Jones playing there for us with reasonable results

If he's not a good enough footballer to play midfield and I'm not discounting the possibility he really should be nowhere near the first team ...maybe that's what you're saying?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

faaip wrote:Surely a less technical position to play than full back, I'm not asking him to create in midfield to be the Johnny Giles, he's probably a better passer of the ball than Phillips and no less limited than O'Kane. Remember Vinny Jones playing there for us with reasonable results

If he's not a good enough footballer to play midfield and I'm not discounting the possibility he really should be nowhere near the first team ...maybe that's what you're saying?
I don't rate Berardi's passing skills that highly so I prefer him at fullback.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

If they'd try Klich with Vieira we could keep Berardi at FB, preferably on the right.
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

Got your answer today mate . Though you express your and Redfearn's points very well indeed. Berardi is a tough player etc, but too hot headed mate ! This red was coming we dare I say ..expect to see a player wear his heart on his sleeve but midfield no .
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Considering he has played all his career as a full back it would be extremely unusual for him to have to play centrally. As a full back you are usually happy to show your opponent to the line and let them go past you on the outside (hopefully getting a tackle in and knocking the ball out for a throw in but if not at least you are showing them away from the penalty area). Playing centrally would completely disrupt thee way you play as you don't have the option to show them one way as if they get past you either side they are still fairly central and in a position to get a shot in or play someone else in with a much simpler ball than a cross from out wide. Not really something I would expect to see happen midway through a season as he'd need a few games to get a feel for it.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

weasel wrote:Considering he has played all his career as a full back it would be extremely unusual for him to have to play centrally. As a full back you are usually happy to show your opponent to the line and let them go past you on the outside (hopefully getting a tackle in and knocking the ball out for a throw in but if not at least you are showing them away from the penalty area). Playing centrally would completely disrupt thee way you play as you don't have the option to show them one way as if they get past you either side they are still fairly central and in a position to get a shot in or play someone else in with a much simpler ball than a cross from out wide. Not really something I would expect to see happen midway through a season as he'd need a few games to get a feel for it.

Not at all likely but an interesting suggestion. The step up or down wouldn't be that difficult though few games for the reserves ought to go a long way if someone was far sighted enough. Played well today considering but still looks vulnerable as a left back as when he shows wingers the line he's then forced to tackle with his wrong foot. I'd rather we had someone else play there tbh and he's not as instinctive or natural turning to his left to stay with the winger. I'd rather we had someone else play there tbh not Anita, same issues