Snow....

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
hector

Re: Snow - 2017/18

Post by hector »

faaip wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:03 pm Still blizzard conditions here,
Same here, looks like tomorrow morning might be write off too, just depends what comes down overnight..

The biggest problem I face, is that the nearest road that is wide enough for a white line down the middle, is about 6 miles away.....
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @Becchiobear

Post by becchio bear »

Just had a text from Thomas' school, it's closed tomorrow due to the forecast of overnight and morning snow. On another note my boiler has decided to pack in :evil: It's a condensing boiler and Alf seems to think it could be something to do with pipes freezing, that's all well and good until they defrost I have no central heating, no hot shower and no hot water :cry: :bear:
I'm going back to 505, I saw them at Sheffield and they were amazing.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

becchio bear wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:24 pm Just had a text from Thomas' school, it's closed tomorrow due to the forecast of overnight and morning snow. On another note my boiler has decided to pack in :evil: It's a condensing boiler and Alf seems to think it could be something to do with pipes freezing, that's all well and good until they defrost I have no central heating, no hot shower and no hot water :cry: :bear:
So Sorry to hear that bb. It always happens at the wrong time! Last week my folks gas fire packed in. They're both 87, luckily they have central heating, but it's not enough warmth for my frail Mum so they fot someone in to look at it last Saturday, told they needed two parts, but found out today that the company who supplies these parts has gone bust.
Then, this morning Mr Swan's Mum rang up. She lives on her own and she rang to say that she had no hot or cold water, leading us to think she may have a frozen pipe somewhere. She does have a boiler so at least can keep warm. We couldn't get to her because we are pretty much stranded where we are.
What are you doing to keep warm bb?
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @Becchiobear

Post by becchio bear »

whiteswan wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:46 pm So Sorry to hear that bb. It always happens at the wrong time! Last week my folks gas fire packed in. They're both 87, luckily they have central heating, but it's not enough warmth for my frail Mum so they fot someone in to look at it last Saturday, told they needed two parts, but found out today that the company who supplies these parts has gone bust.
Then, this morning Mr Swan's Mum rang up. She lives on her own and she rang to say that she had no hot or cold water, leading us to think she may have a frozen pipe somewhere. She does have a boiler so at least can keep warm. We couldn't get to her because we are pretty much stranded where we are.
What are you doing to keep warm bb?
Hope your family all get sorted soon swan. I've got 3 freestanding electric heaters, 2 are a bit crappy but one is really good. I'm ok with heating but not happy about no hot water or shower :cry: :bear:
I'm going back to 505, I saw them at Sheffield and they were amazing.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

becchio bear wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:13 pm Hope your family all get sorted soon swan. I've got 3 freestanding electric heaters, 2 are a bit crappy but one is really good. I'm ok with heating but not happy about no hot water or shower :cry: :bear:
Thanks bb
(reckon you should have a glass or two of your favourite tipple :wine: :beer: :tumbler: :) )
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

If you have frozen pipes odds are they will burst when it defrosts ..keep an eye out and get them insulated
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
gessa

Post by gessa »

becchio bear wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:24 pm Just had a text from Thomas' school, it's closed tomorrow due to the forecast of overnight and morning snow. On another note my boiler has decided to pack in :evil: It's a condensing boiler and Alf seems to think it could be something to do with pipes freezing, that's all well and good until they defrost I have no central heating, no hot shower and no hot water :cry: :bear:

Condensing boilers are great until we have weather like this because of the way they operate lots of them will freeze when temperatures drop to minus 2 or below . Often it is the overflow pipe on the outside wall and sometimes it's just a case of going outside and pouring hot not boiling water on the exposed pipe. Get Alf to try that first Ang.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/how-to/ho ... pe-3406985
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

That is not good news young lady :(
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Hope you can resolve the problem quickly

Keep warm Ang
gessa

Post by gessa »

We've had no more overnight, so not too bad, yet 5 miles away the place is a standstill , total chaos, even making the BBC news. 15cm overnight.
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

No more snow but high winds have caused large drifts on many minor roads, thaw forecast to start this weekend :clap:
hector

Post by hector »

There is still more forecast here today, but not seen any yet......

there have been no vehicles at all of any type on the farm today, not even the arctics that have been collecting last seasons grain from the stores.....
Methinks the lanes may be a tad "drifted" but not venturing out that far to have a look....
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Treacherous conditions - absolutely no reason to go outside the front door unless you have an actual emergency.
All you're doing out there is adding to the list of potential victims of something which may require help from A&E services.
Apart from some spells in December and January we've been fairly lucky here and ours has been just brutal temperatures without the snow.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

hector wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:21 am There is still more forecast here today, but not seen any yet......

there have been no vehicles at all of any type on the farm today, not even the arctics that have been collecting last seasons grain from the stores.....
Methinks the lanes may be a tad "drifted" but not venturing out that far to have a look....
Same here ..early afternoon we have heavy snow showers forecast but 6 degrees and raining tomorrow so should b all gone by sunday
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

gessa wrote: ↑

Condensing boilers are great until we have weather like this because of the way they operate lots of them will freeze when temperatures drop to minus 2 or below . Often it is the overflow pipe on the outside wall and sometimes it's just a case of going outside and pouring hot not boiling water on the exposed pipe. Get Alf to try that first Ang.
Good advice ges. Happened to us about 5 years ago. The overflow pipe wasn't insulated and, even worse, it didn't have a permanent down slope to the exit, so water was collecting and freezing in the pipe, thus blocking overflow egress.

Once both conditions were rectified we have had no further problems.
hector

Post by hector »

It started again about 20 mins ago, and is now just as heavy as it was yesterday........
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Been snowing here heavily now for 3 hours ...I'm watching the combine though so happy as Larry
1964white

Post by 1964white »

How is the snow in your area ?

Many towns/villages shut off & roads closed all over the UK

Stay safe folks
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

1964white wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:56 pm How is the snow in your area ?

Many towns/villages shut off & roads closed all over the UK

Stay safe folks
About 4 inches fell overnight, light snow today and cold!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Shields53 wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:58 pm About 4 inches fell overnight, light snow today and cold!
Where are you based in Leeds Adam ?

Not too bad over here now, wasn't good on our journey home last night especially in the Market Weighton/South Cave area. A614 shut over there this morning