If only we had pushed the boat out....

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

If only we had pushed the boat out....

Post by 1964white »

And spent another £10m on three players we'd probably looking at a guaranteed top-six place now.

Jansson & Saiz were snips at £3m+ & this month we've signed Adam Forshaw for £3.5m who hopefully will have a similar influence in our team as Pontus & Samu have this season.
Three more players around a similar fee bracket would no doubt enhanced our chances of a play-off place as oppose to the scatter-gun approach we adopted in the summer where at least twelve of our squad have played only a handful of games
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Re: If only we had pushed the boat out....

Post by NorfolkWhite »

1964white wrote:And spent another £10m on three players we'd probably looking at a guaranteed top-six place now.

Jansson & Saiz were snips at £3m+ & this month we've signed Adam Forshaw for £3.5m who hopefully will have a similar influence in our team as Pontus & Samu have this season.
Three more players around a similar fee bracket would no doubt enhanced our chances of a play-off place as oppose to the scatter-gun approach we adopted in the summer where at least twelve of our squad have played only a handful of games
I'm not sure £10m would do it. If we wanted to sign 3 more players who were of proven Championship promotion standard (and to include a striker) you would have to at least double that kitty, we are being quoted £7m for L1 strikers who are far from guaranteed, we spent £4.5m on a MF who couldn't get in the team of rivals who are 1 point above us in the league and still not in the top 6....I reckon for those 3 you would need to maybe up that budget to £25m +

Jansson and Samu were only the prices they were and available to us because they weren't proven when they arrived here, as a pair they are probably worth in excess of £20m to the club at current championship / PL rates, no way would we be getting them from other English clubs now. The fact that we signed them for the fees we did is a result of the scatter gun approach, 2/3 succeed. 3 or 4 are ok and 2/3 fail.....no way of telling the Samu's from the Klich's before they've played over here. Would be great to just sign the good ones but players coming from abroad settle differently.
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

Do we need another thread to talk about our transfer strategy. Another 10 million might not be possible for the club to fork out
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Weidwald

Berardi
Jansson
Dean ( blues paid 1.5mil)
De Bock

Vieira
Forshaw

Ali
Saiz
Maddison (was available for £1m in the summer)

Lassie

Lonners, Ayling, Coops, Bradley Dack, phillips, Hernandez, Ollie Watkins.

That doesn't include Roofe, Ekuban, Dallas, Anita, Penny, O'Kane, etc.

3 stand out league 1 and 2 players last season, available for £4mill in the summer plus Harlee Dean for £1.5m.

Harlee Dean-Brentford captain, stood out for them last season.
Ollie Watkins- Shone for Exeter, Brentford took a chance for 1.8m, has 6 goals this season.
Maddison-Stood out in league 1 for years, versatile and creative.
Dack, goalscoring midfielder who has scored for fun just 1 league below for a few years.

Dack-750k
Dean-1.5m
Maddison-1m
Watkins-1.8m

Roughly 5m.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote:Weidwald

Berardi
Jansson
De Bock

Vieira
Forshaw

Ali
Saiz

Lassie

3 stand out league 1 and 2 players last season, available for £4mill in the summer plus Harlee Dean for £1.5m.

Ollie Watkins- Shone for Exeter, Brentford took a chance for 1.8m, has 6 goals this season.
Dack, goalscoring midfielder who has scored for fun just 1 league below for a few years.

Dack-750k
Dean-1.5m
Maddison-1m
Watkins-1.8m

Roughly 5m.
Sorted Cjay :tup: a good scouting team would have spotted them

Harlee Dean was superb for Brum when they beat us a few weeks ago, in fact we only had one tame shot on target from Phillips in the whole of the 90 minutes :(

Only seen 45 minutes of Maddison v Leicester last weekend

Can't recall seeing Dack & Watkins

Remember how much Beckford & Becchio cost us....peanuts!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

dezzy wrote:Do we need another thread to talk about our transfer strategy. Another 10 million might not be possible for the club to fork out
Keeps the forum interesting :-D
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote:Sorted Cjay :tup: a good scouting team would have spotted them

Harlee Dean was superb for Brum when they beat us a few weeks ago, in fact we only had one tame shot on target from Phillips in the whole of the 90 minutes :(

Only seen 45 minutes of Maddison v Leicester last weekend

Can't recall seeing Dack & Watkins

Remember how much Beckford & Becchio cost us....peanuts!
Hangover from my Footie manager days (the game), like to keep up with the lower leagues.

Deans brilliant, better then Bartley in every statistic last season.

The other 3 were risks but for such small fees, calculated and 2 of them had shone in lg 1 for ages. The other is Watkins and scoring for Brentford including against us i think.

YouTube can be misleading but cant fake techniques :(
Signed

King Cjay

Newport white
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Newport white »

Said it before but I recon I’ve got an eye for a good player and the lad from Wednesday called Lucas Jaoa would be an upgrade on anything we’ve got, not sure of his market value but with their stacked forward line he isn’t getting a fair crack, when he played a few weeks ago in The Sheffield derby he was a real handful, quick and skill full and full of running, could be a decent price now but similar to other players out of our range next year if he gets a run of games
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote:Hangover from my Footie manager days (the game), like to keep up with the lower leagues.

Deans brilliant, better then Bartley in every statistic last season.

The other 3 were risks but for such small fees, calculated and 2 of them had shone in lg 1 for ages. The other is Watkins and scoring for Brentford including against us i think
After checking.....Watkins was the lad who played on one of the flanks, gave us a lot of problems, however he didn't score against us so I have seen him play
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote:

Some cracking strikes there :tup:
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Belated Xmas Pantomine - Scrooge / Leeds Utd Financial Meltdown

Starring 64

Act 1 - 64 is visited by the ghost of seasons past and is taken to the boardroom meeting where David O'Leary approaches Peter Ridsdale and tells him if we just spend a bit more money on Robbie Fowler we will win the league title

David: If we push the boat out and spend another £10m or so we will definitely win the league

PR: I will get the chequebook out David - you can never have enough players.

Act 2 - Present time with Leeds finally a stable club and owning Elland Road again - 64 is taken to his laptop where he is writing a message

64: This is sh*t let's push the boat out and spend £10m it will guarantee promotion

Act 3 - 64 is visited by the ghost of seasons future and visits the boardroom meeting

AR: Well we put all our eggs in 1 basket and failed to get promoted. We have ow overspent and cannot strengthen the team. To balance the books we now have to sell the best players and close down Thorp Arch.

The End

Spending an extra £10m guarantees nothing and all it means is that if we didn't go up we'd have overstrecthed and probably screwed up any chance for the following season(s). You cannot lambast the scattergun approach as if Saiz wasn't part of it and say more signings like him please. £3m on a player these days is a gamble, Saiz could just have easily have been a complete flop in the same way Klich was and the same way Bianchi and Luke Murphy were before him.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote:Belated Xmas Pantomine - Scrooge / Leeds Utd Financial Meltdown

Starring 64

Act 1 - 64 is visited by the ghost of seasons past and is taken to the boardroom meeting where David O'Leary approaches Peter Ridsdale and tells him if we just spend a bit more money on Robbie Fowler we will win the league title

David: If we push the boat out and spend another £10m or so we will definitely win the league

PR: I will get the chequebook out David - you can never have enough players.

Act 2 - Present time with Leeds finally a stable club and owning Elland Road again - 64 is taken to his laptop where he is writing a message

64: This is sh*t let's push the boat out and spend £10m it will guarantee promotion

Act 3 - 64 is visited by the ghost of seasons future and visits the boardroom meeting

AR: Well we put all our eggs in 1 basket and failed to get promoted. We have ow overspent and cannot strengthen the team. To balance the books we now have to sell the best players and close down Thorp Arch.

The End
:rol:
weasel wrote:Spending an extra £10m guarantees nothing and all it means is that if we didn't go up we'd have overstrecthed and probably screwed up any chance for the following season(s). You cannot lambast the scattergun approach as if Saiz wasn't part of it and say more signings like him please. £3m on a player these days is a gamble, Saiz could just have easily have been a complete flop in the same way Klich was and the same way Bianchi and Luke Murphy were before him.
We need to be competitive & build for next season even if we do fail this year

If we end up halfway down the league that is not progress & should Pontus & Saiz realise we have no ambition they'll be off, then we'll have to start all over again in the summer. Class players won't hang around waiting for a five year plan these days, the days of players remaining at the same club all their career as with 60'/70's football have gone !
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

1964white wrote:Keeps the forum interesting :-D
Hearthbreaking more like :verysad: :roflmao:
MightyWhites
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by MightyWhites »

Seems like some people are happy to stay in this league, and not try to be competitive in getting out of it. Comparing the current situation to the Risdale disaster is also ridiculous. I am sure I said it previously but we didn't have to buy 15 players, we just needed 4 or 5 quality additions to the spine and we would be in a better position than we are now (in my opinion).
gessa

Post by gessa »

Berardi
Jansson
De Bock

Vieira
Forshaw

Ali
Saiz

Lassie

Dack-750k
Dean-1.5m
Maddison-1m
Watkins-1.8m

Roughly 5m.
I seem to remember Dean saying he had half a dozen teams interested in him and he really wanted to stay in London and had virtually decided where he was going but a meeting with Redknapp made him change his mind as he sold the club and the dream to him(didn't work out well) . So just because a player is available at a certain price doesn't mean we'll get him even if we want him, we're not the draw we once was, as a young player who knows little about Leeds history just what as gone on in their lifetime and what would be the attraction.
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

Berardi
Jansson
De Bock

Vieira
Forshaw

Ali
Saiz

Lassie

Dack-750k
Dean-1.5m
Maddison-1m
Watkins-1.8m

Roughly 5m.
I highly doubt maddison was available for a million in the summer - Norwich had only signed him for 3 the season before and he'd had successful loan spells at a few clubs since. Also even if he was available for a million (which I don't think he was) it's a bit like looking in a crystal ball saying we should have signed him. Why didn't we sign Vardy when he was at Fleetwood or Ronaldo when he was a teenager....

If you made a list of players now available for those prices I bet most of them will turn out crap next season
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

MightyWhites wrote:Seems like some people are happy to stay in this league, and not try to be competitive in getting out of it. Comparing the current situation to the Risdale disaster is also ridiculous. I am sure I said it previously but we didn't have to buy 15 players, we just needed 4 or 5 quality additions to the spine and we would be in a better position than we are now (in my opinion).
Not at all, I think the one thing we all agree on is that we want LUFC back in the top flight, it’s just how we get there that there’s discussion about.

It’s not necessarily that we repeat the Ridsdale fiasco directly, although I’m sure we can’t have been far from admin under GFH, but it’s avoiding that succession of crooked / useless owners that have led to 15 years in the wilderness due to the fact the club was on its knees financially and pray to those who thought they could (and maybe did) make a few quick bucks picking over the bones with no real thought for the future of the club. First time since Ridsdale where we are a solid club off the field where cheap shysters would have no chance of getting their paws on the club for buttons and draining it of cash whilst they hold the reins.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

MightyWhites wrote:Seems like some people are happy to stay in this league, and not try to be competitive in getting out of it. Comparing the current situation to the Risdale disaster is also ridiculous. I am sure I said it previously but we didn't have to buy 15 players, we just needed 4 or 5 quality additions to the spine and we would be in a better position than we are now (in my opinion).
I don't think anyone is happy to just stay in this league but the answer is not just throwing more and more money at it. 4 or 5 quality additions would cost a heck of a lot of money especially if wanting the sort of proven player that should be able to make the difference.
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

So, looks like we are in for a striker, Lewis Coyle at the game tonight, a win and I’m happy, what about the doomsdayers
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Newport white wrote:Said it before but I recon I’ve got an eye for a good player and the lad from Wednesday called Lucas Jaoa would be an upgrade on anything we’ve got, not sure of his market value but with their stacked forward line he isn’t getting a fair crack, when he played a few weeks ago in The Sheffield derby he was a real handful, quick and skill full and full of running, could be a decent price now but similar to other players out of our range next year if he gets a run of games
good shout, but cost Wednesday quite a bit 4mil i think.
Signed

King Cjay