Summer Transfers and Squad Discussion

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Summer Transfers and Squad Discussion (Kyle Bartley exclusive )

Post by SG90 »

Cjay wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:58 pm You know my opinion on the coach.

As for scouts i dont know lol, the youth teams have done so well so we do to a degree have good scouts.

Yeah i can name some who were available last summer.
Marcus Maddison- Pboro winger, 12 goals 23 assists just 1 league below. Was available for £1mil all summer till he signed a new deal end of August.

Bradley Dack- Blackburn midfielder scored 16 goals for them to earn promotion, cost Blackburn £750k.

Ollie Watkins- Cost Brentford £1.8mil, 10goals 4 assists and likely to be a Prem player next season.

Harlee Dean- Birmingham cb cost £2mil, one of the few to earn any credit from Blues fans this season.

Cant imagine Blackburn, Peterborough and Brentford offer higher wages then us, if they do then thats very poor. Birmingham may have but reports put Dean's wages at about £10k a week.

Dont claim to be a footballing oracle but i keep a vague eye on lower leagues, the first 3 have been standouts in them for years, weren't secrets.

Surely our scouting team must have known?
All players from the lower leagues who would not be able to handle playing for Leeds and would be bang average. We need to sign players who would see moving to us as a "stepdown" and have come from higher clubs.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

fred wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:34 pm It doesn`t. You may like it or not, but it is a fact that, taking ALL aspects into account, you are wrong.
Did you listen to what Barnsley fans had to say in regard to Morais before the win against Brentford?

I`m hoping more and more that Heck stays, just to prove some who believe to know more than they do or can, wrong. :twisted:

Have you watched the post-Norwich press conference of Heck?
He claims to know exactly what the team needs and this knowledge he knows with certainty and that gives him a good feeing. No
not joking...
The problem in my eyes: he believes that the team/squad need a radical change of mentality. I believe this is why a new coach
usually has a positive influence by just being a new face. I`m asking myself if such a mentality change needs any time to being installed or install itself.
I find it hard to believe that it is something that takes time. If he can`t install this change by now, why should he in future. (Of course
provided such a change is necessary at all.)

PS: Don`t want this thread to turn into a Heck thread...
All he's done is prove me right so far, but yes I'm sure giving him another 15/20 games next season will see a huge improvement all of a sudden.
fred
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by fred »

Cjay wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:58 pm Yeah i can name some who were available last summer.
Marcus Maddison- Pboro winger, 12 goals 23 assists just 1 league below. Was available for £1mil all summer till he signed a new deal end of August.

Bradley Dack- Blackburn midfielder scored 16 goals for them to earn promotion, cost Blackburn £750k.

Ollie Watkins- Cost Brentford £1.8mil, 10goals 4 assists and likely to be a Prem player next season.

Harlee Dean- Birmingham cb cost £2mil, one of the few to earn any credit from Blues fans this season.
In hindsight, mate, in hindsight...is Roofe a bargain? We certainly hoped he would be.
f course there may be bargains around, Problem being that noone seems to know in beforehand who they are. lol

Cant imagine Blackburn, Peterborough and Brentford offer higher wages then us, if they do then thats very poor. Birmingham may have but reports put Dean's wages at about £10k a week.

In that case they weren`t bargains. A bargain is a player who you get for less money than he`s worth. But not in hindsight!
And such bargains are cheap mostly because they are free and demand higher wages.
Dont claim to be a footballing oracle but i keep a vague eye on lower leagues, the first 3 have been standouts in them for years, weren't secrets.
In that case our scouts and those of many other clubs useless. Maybe you should name those players who clubs bought hoping to be a bargain but turned out to be crap...would put things into perspective.
Surely our scouting team must have known?
Antonnson, Roofe, Roberts (?), Sacko, Ekuban, Grothetc....all bought in the hope they would turn out to be bargains or one thought
in beforehand to be certain bargains.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

SG90 wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:14 pm All players from the lower leagues who would not be able to handle playing for Leeds and would be bang average. We need to sign players who would see moving to us as a "stepdown" and have come from higher clubs.
Beckford
Becchio
Snodgrass
Gradel

Hardly came from footballing powerhouses.

Talented players are talented players.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
fred
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by fred »

SG90 wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:16 pm All he's done is prove me right so far, but yes I'm sure giving him another 15/20 games next season will see a huge improvement all of a sudden.
No, not all of a sudden. That`s the point: what needs or can need time wahat doesn`t or shouldn`t.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Cjay wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:18 pm Beckford
Becchio
Snodgrass
Gradel

They all broke through when we were in League One, not aiming for promotion from the Championship.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Why do we never get loans from top clubs or top European clubs? I know it's a wage issue, but I'd rather pay a year's wages than spend £4m on a punt who may or may not be good enough.
fred
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by fred »

Cjay wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:18 pm Beckford
Becchio
Snodgrass
Gradel

Yeah, but it`s the same with every post you write about bargains.
Our scouting team has proven that they most probably can`t make out who will turn out to be a bargain in most cases.
That`s quite normal, as a bargain will turn into a non-bargain if his real value can be known in beforehand.

Of course: if you buy enough, then you must get lucky now and then.
You name those who turned out to be bargains and forget to mention the
vast majority who turned to be average at best.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

SG90 wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:20 pm They all broke through when we were in League One, not aiming for promotion from the Championship.
Even so I'd take the those four in their pomp than the players we have their positions now, players with skill, pace & a will to win
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

fred wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:18 pm In hindsight, mate, in hindsight...is Roofe a bargain? We certainly hoped he would be.
f course there may be bargains around, Problem being that noone seems to know in beforehand who they are. lol

In that case they weren`t bargains. A bargain is a player who you get for less money than he`s worth. But not in hindsight!
And such bargains are cheap mostly because they are free and demand higher wages.

In that case our scouts and those of many other clubs useless. Maybe you should name those players who clubs bought hoping to be a bargain but turned out to be crap...would put things into perspective.

Antonnson, Roofe, Roberts (?), Sacko, Ekuban, Grothetc....all bought in the hope they would turn out to be bargains or one thought
in beforehand to be certain bargains.
Its not hindsight though lol.

All those players bar Watkins had proven themselves over quite a few seasons at a higher level then Roofe, Roberts Ekuban etc.

Maddison was only worth £1mil because of his contract Pboro are asking for 5times that now so says there owner, therefore the price was a bargain.

Dean was one of the top cbs in the league last season imo for Brentford, £7.5mil allegedly Swans wanted for Bartley, a 3rd of that for Dean was a bargain.

All "bargains" are a risk but you take a calculated risk.

Surely that risk is lessened by buying players who have shone in this country one league below?

They are bargains in hindsight but they were potential bargains all along.
Signed

King Cjay

fred
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by fred »

SG90 wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:22 pm Why do we never get loans from top clubs or top European clubs? I know it's a wage issue, but I'd rather pay a year's wages than spend £4m on a punt who may or may not be good enough.
Because we can`t compete with the wages other clubs can pay!!!!!!!
Fulham and Mitrovic for example.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Some potential bargains this summer:
Filip Helander - 1 year left at Bologna, £4k a week wages.
Clement Grenier - 1 year left at Guingamp. Only joined in January, but would be the best playmaker in the league by far.
Charlie Adam - free. Just what we're missing, a tough ba***rd in CM.
Abel Hernandez - free. Terrific goal scoring record at Hull, but we'd need to be prepared to pay £30k wages.
fred
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by fred »

Cjay wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:25 pm Its not hindsight though lol.

All those players bar Watkins had proven themselves over quite a few seasons at a higher level then Roofe, Roberts Ekuban etc.

Maddison was only worth £1mil because of his contract Pboro are asking for 5times that now so says there owner, therefore the price was a bargain.

Dean was one of the top cbs in the league last season imo for Brentford, £7.5mil allegedly Swans wanted for Bartley, a 3rd of that for Dean was a bargain.

All "bargains" are a risk but you take a calculated risk.

Surely that risk is lessened by buying players who have shone in this country one league below?

They are bargains in hindsight but they were potential bargains all along.
God you bore me to death with your redundant and meaningless answers.

Name players who are bargains and will be available this summer if it`s not all hindsight!!!

Put your money where your mouth is.
Last edited by fred on Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

fred wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:26 pm Because we can`t compete with the wages other clubs can pay!!!!!!!
Fulham and Mitrovic for example.
Why though? We spent £4.5m on Grot, Ekuban and Roberts respectively. That could have got us Mitrovic for a season and he'd get 30 goals.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Hasn't Watkins got the same number of goals as Lasogga and Roofe? We wouldn't be so impressed if he was here.
fred
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by fred »

SG90 wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:30 pm Why though? We spent £4.5m on Grot, Ekuban and Roberts respectively. That could have got us Mitrovic for a season and he'd get 30 goals.
Paying fewer players wages, allows to pay more for the remaining players, if you`ve got a limird amount to spend on wages in total.

Quality and not quantity...the club seems to have realized this concept (so they say). Problem: getting rid of all the not wanted players on long contracts.
Not what they cost is relevant, but what they earn. You can`t spend the saved transfer fees of 4.5 Million on wages, only the saved wages.
Last edited by fred on Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

fred wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:24 pm Yeah, but it`s the same with every post you write about bargains.
Our scouting team has proven that they most probably can`t make out who will turn out to be a bargain in most cases.
That`s quite normal, as a bargain will turn into a non-bargain if his real value can be known in beforehand.

Of course: if you buy enough, then you must get lucky now and then.
You name those who turned out to be bargains and forget to mention the
vast majority who turned to be average at best.
Edited.

No interest in responding to anymore riddles.
Last edited by Cjay on Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

fred wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:28 pm God you bore me to death with your redundant and meaningless answers.

Name players who are bargains and will be available this summer if it`s not all hindsight!!!

Put your money where your mouth is.
And you just talk in riddles never saying anything worth while.

Trying to appear more clever then you are i suspect.
Signed

King Cjay

SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Isn't Maddison supposed to have an awful attitude? I have the same issues with buying from lower leagues as others do with buying from abroad. We need players who've been at higher clubs than us.
fred
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by fred »

Cjay wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:37 pm And you just talk in riddles never saying anything worth while.

Trying to appear more clever then you are i suspect.
LOL...ask me a f**king question as I ask you a question and I`ll answer if I claimed to know something!
The f**king difference between us is that I never have claimed to know anything I wouldn`t be prepared to answer if asked.
Simply embarrassing you are with your claims to know things you aren`t able and/or aren`t prepared to answer.

Again: which players are worth buying as bargains? Playing hard-to-get or what?
Last edited by fred on Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.