Kalvin Phillips

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Kalvin Phillips

Post by 1964white »

Nonsense Phillips

KP didn't have the space & options he has v the Tractor Boys, but his overall play was good

As for the corner Forest were fortunate to get that break, the clearance hit Alioski (I think) & came back, just very unlucky

Phillips was subbed for tactical reasons as we went in search of an equaliser
1964white

Post by 1964white »

How do you feel you’ve adapted to your new deeper role in the team?

“I feel like I have done well, obviously I am playing in two new positions at centre-back and centre-midfield. I like it, it is getting me fit and I’m concentrated on what I need to do. I’m just grateful to the head coach and his staff.”

Were you surprised when you were told you’d be playing in a deeper role?

“Not really, obviously last season I scored seven goals but I felt I could play in that position. I never really thought I had the full defensive qualities needed for playing there, but I have worked on them throughout the season. I feel I am getting better and better and I just need to keep on working at it.”

You must be pleased with how your season has gone so far, excelling in that position too...

“I think I have done reasonably well. I have played in every game which is good and I am staying fit as well- touch wood. I’m just looking to try and play as many games as possible and try and help get Leeds back into the Premier League where the club belongs.”

You’re the only player in the squad to have started every game under Marcelo Bielsa, so that says a lot about what you have done...

“Obviously that speaks for itself, I am a hard worker. I love playing for Leeds, it is my city and if I can do that for the rest of my life I would love it.”

There are full houses at Elland Road nearly every week now, what is it like playing here?

“It is amazing. I’m from Leeds and I’ve always known what the crowds are like. It is just an honour for me to pull on the White shirt every week and play in front of them. There are not many fans that you get who travel both home and away. The numbers away from home are ridiculous and we just want to reward them by getting back to the Premier League.”

What’s it like when you being a hometown lad, being on the pitch having the support behind you

“I’ve grown up watching and supporting Leeds, so to come and walk out in front of 30,000 really is a dream come true and I hope I can do it for a very long time."
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Some lovely words from young Kalvin. He obviously loves Leeds United, loves playing for Leeds united, loves the fans and is blossoming under Bielsa :scar1
1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:54 pm Some lovely words from young Kalvin. He obviously loves Leeds United, loves playing for Leeds united, loves the fans and is blossoming under Bielsa :scar1
Always shows dignity & respect to his boss unlike one or two others Swannie

Also you never see him going down easily after minimal contact or arguing with the officials
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Screenshot 2018-11-25 at 12.11.33.png
Screenshot 2018-11-25 at 12.11.33.png (293.34 KiB) Viewed 5377 times
1964white

Post by 1964white »

KP on top of his game once again
Screenshot 2018-11-28 at 16.01.20.png
Screenshot 2018-11-28 at 16.01.20.png (32.79 KiB) Viewed 5325 times
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Future Captain in the making....hopefully for Leeds United
1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:36 pm Future Captain in the making....hopefully for Leeds United
Indeed Swannie if we are promoted this season

They way Phillips is consistently performing a massive offer from a premiership club in January or next summer will tempt our board

Our most versatile player without a shadow of doubt
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

whiteswan wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:36 pm Future Captain in the making....hopefully for Leeds United
Said this for the last few years, he’s captained all the LUFC youth teams he’s played for and if he stays (I think he will) he’s our next Captain
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
LUFC 1966
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by LUFC 1966 »

I never understood why we played Kalvin when we had Vieira Forshaw and Klich but under Bielsa he has blossomed into a complete footballer. When he keeps it simple he looks a cut above and his passing has improved immensely. Kudos to the lad
1964white

Post by 1964white »

LUFC 1966 wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:23 am I never understood why we played Kalvin when we had Vieira Forshaw and Klich but under Bielsa he has blossomed into a complete footballer. When he keeps it simple he looks a cut above and his passing has improved immensely. Kudos to the lad
People laughed at me when I said Kalvin will play for England one day :eng:

His presence on the pitch is immense for Bielsa's Leeds.

I questioned his attitude last season as he seem not to take the game seriously, that seems to have changed this season as he bounds around the pitch exuding confidence in his new role looking like a complete footballer.

Our most consistent player this season imo!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Nice to see the Norman Hunter suite credit Kalvin as one of our best players v
Reading, both CB's were immense, particularly as our midfield was average in the first half & the final 15 minutes of the game

Screenshot 2018-11-29 at 18.18.32.png
Screenshot 2018-11-29 at 18.18.32.png (313.9 KiB) Viewed 5180 times

Kalvin Phillips was awarded Leeds United’s Man of the Match on Tuesday evening following the 1-0 win over Reading.

The defensive midfielder made his way to the Norman Hunter Suite to pick up his award and answer a few questions following his impressive display in the Sky Bet Championship.

Another impressive display from you tonight Kalvin, do you put your progression down to personal development or the new management?

I think it’s a bit of both to be honest, as a player I want to keep progressing and do the best that I possibly can and then obviously with the new manager and his staff coming in they’ve helped me a lot as well and I’m learning more and more, I’m just happy to keep progressing under them.

You’ve been playing in more defensive roles this season, how are you finding it?

That’s why the manager is so good, he came in and he noticed that maybe we had other better attacking options and that I could be better in that deeper role and I don’t mind it at all, I really enjoy the defending side of the game and I’m always just happy to do what I can for the team.

And playing as a centre-half tonight...

With Pontus being out injured the manager asked me to play centre-half along with Coops and I’m happy to play wherever he wants me to play.

The substitutions made an impact tonight didn’t they?

Yeah they made an immediate impact, the introduction of Samu and Jack - who are both very attacking and quick on the ball - made it difficult for the other team and I think it maybe took them by surprise, so they did a great job.

Let’s talk a bit more about Jack Clarke, what have you made of him?

He’s done really well, I’ve had to defend him a couple of times in training this season and he’s put me on my backside a few times! It’s always good to see a young player coming in and doing well, that’s what we all want to see and I think he’ll just continue getting better and better.

And finally, we’ve got to talk about that save at the end, what did you all say to the keeper after the penalty?

Obviously we all just wanted to congratulate him and we were all really happy for him. He’s had a bit of stick recently and not really been himself the last few weeks but with more confidence from us and the fans I know he’ll keep improving.
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

1964white wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:06 am People laughed at me when I said Kalvin will play for England one day :eng:

His presence on the pitch is immense for Bielsa's Leeds.

I questioned his attitude last season as he seem not to take the game seriously, that seems to have changed this season as he bounds around the pitch exuding confidence in his new role looking like a complete footballer.

Our most consistent player this season imo!
Nobody laughed when you said he would play for England ONE day, it was the rumors that he was getting called up in September, you toned it down a bit ;-)
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
1964white

Post by 1964white »

dezzy wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:53 pm Nobody laughed when you said he would play for England ONE day, it was the rumors that he was getting called up in September, you toned it down a bit ;-)
Some thought I was mad :roflmao:

Fans were saying in September that he wasn't good enough

I firmly believe KP has proven his doubters wrong :lol:
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

1964white wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:59 pm Some thought I was mad :roflmao:

Fans were saying in September that he wasn't good enough

I firmly believe KP has proven his doubters wrong :lol:
Hopefully some day!! He really is the success story of the season so far, just goes to show how many young footballers are ruined by coaches, remember TC wanting Kalvin to score more goals at the start of last season, while Bielsa has him anchoring the midfield!!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

dezzy wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:02 pm Hopefully some day!! He really is the success story of the season so far, just goes to show how many young footballers are ruined by coaches, remember TC wanting Kalvin to score more goals at the start of last season, while Bielsa has him anchoring the midfield!!
Exactly Dezzy

Bielsa is different class to Christiansen
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

In all seriousness regardless of what you think of Kalvin Phillips i think the chances of him ever becoming an England international are extremely slim.

For a start it needs England to let him have the same role as he has now.

If that happens the man playing that role now is Eric Dier who is only 2 years older then Philips.

Ruben Loftus Cheek, Jesse Lingard, both younger.

Then of course we are the current world champions in 2 age groups, u17s and u20s.

So there are those players coming through.

Lewis Cook, Phil Foden, Kieren Dowell, Maitland Niles, Josh Onomah, Ovie Ejaria, Mason Mount, James Maddison, Ronaldo Vieira.

And others who you read about only 16 17 incredibly highly rated who have gone abroad like Jaden Sancho.

There is a huge amount of talent coming through with international pedigree already from a young age, it would take a massive improvement for Phillips to force his way into a truly stacked talent pool for the next 10 15 years.

Thats not being down on Phillips its just realistic.

He is totally unrecognised at international level, and England have a hugely talented group already 2 3 4 5 years younger then him.

Hope he gets there be nice to have an English international again.

But there are a huge amount of players ahead of him with more going for them on an international level already being in the srt up at different age groups.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

Cjay wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:10 pm In all seriousness regardless of what you think of Kalvin Phillips i think the chances of him ever becoming an England international are extremely slim.

For a start it needs England to let him have the same role as he has now.

If that happens the man playing that role now is Eric Dier who is only 2 years older then Philips.

Ruben Loftus Cheek, Jesse Lingard, both younger.

Then of course we are the current world champions in 2 age groups, u17s and u20s.

So there are those players coming through.

Lewis Cook, Phil Foden, Kieren Dowell, Maitland Niles, Josh Onomah, Ovie Ejaria, Mason Mount, James Maddison, Ronaldo Vieira.

And others who you read about only 16 17 incredibly highly rated who have gone abroad like Jaden Sancho.

There is a huge amount of talent coming through with international pedigree already from a young age, it would take a massive improvement for Phillips to force his way into a truly stacked talent pool for the next 10 15 years.

Thats not being down on Phillips its just realistic.

He is totally unrecognised at international level, and England have a hugely talented group already 2 3 4 5 years younger then him.

Hope he gets there be nice to have an English international again.

But there are a huge amount of players ahead of him with more going for them on an international level already being in the srt up at different age groups.
Gotta love ya Cjay! The eternal pessimist :)
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

dezzy wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:44 pm Gotta love ya Cjay! The eternal pessimist :)
He was the eternal optimist when he first arrived on here dezzy....look what we've done to him :lol:
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

whiteswan wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:02 pm He was the eternal optimist when he first arrived on here dezzy....look what we've done to him :lol:
Swings and roundabouts, he’ll see the light once again :P