Kemar Roofe

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Re: Kemar Roofe

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Richard wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 10:22 pm Id imagine he has a good goals to minutes played ratio this season but I just can’t accept he is good enough
I don't get the hate for Kemar.

He's been asked to do a lot of jobs this season and gone them generally well. Yes, not the greatest player but performed better than most of the squad this season.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Shields53 wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 10:31 pm I don't get the hate for Kemar.

He's been asked to do a lot of jobs this season and gone them generally well. Yes, not the greatest player but performed better than most of the squad this season.
I don't think Richard or others like myself hate Roofe, the majority of Leeds fans just don't think he's good enough if we are looking to be a top six side, he isn't a prolific goalscorer & lacks an extra yard of pace to pull away from a defender. After saying that Roofe had a decent game yesterday
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

He's got great pace. I just don't think he fills any one position 100%. I think he's a great squad player, he just needs to find his place. He could be a Troy Deeney playing off a main striker. Or he should be a great fit on the left flank. He just needs to mature and find his best position. In the mean time he's a good squad player to have around and do a job as needed.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Think part of the problem is he isnt the outstanding player in any sense.
Pace-Not as quick as Ekuban, Alioski, Saiz and Grot.
Power-Id say Ekuban, Grot, Lassie are more powerful.
Intelligence- Pablo is head a shoulders above everyone else.
Movement - Controversial but id say Ekuban has better movement.
Finishing- Not sure but dont think he is an outstanding finisher, Lasogga is probably the best if he can be arsed.

So its hard to see how he fits in.

Number 10- Pablo then Saiz.
Wingers- not a winger for me, lacks the pace of Ali or the close control of Pablo.
Lone striker- Not quick enough to play on the shoulder, not strong enough to play with his back to goal.

Just dont see where he fits.

Maybe as part of a front 2 but then you lose the number 10.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Richard
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Twitter: @northantsmanvan

Post by Richard »

Shields53 wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 10:31 pm I don't get the hate for Kemar.

i don’t hate him, I just feel we need better, none of our strikers are good enough.
Brader
First Team
First Team

Post by Brader »

i mean - he’s hit 13 in 33 games. 9 of those games as substitute cameos or as a winger.

Personally I think ekuban is useless and I’d rather roofe than him or Grot on the bench. The Morrison type argument of “yeah but he runs about loads and has passion” doesn’t really fly for me.

I think the problem is - he’s not a winger, and not a loan striker. As a utility option who seems happy to fill in where needed he’s a good option but he doesn’t seem to have a place in the system we play.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator

Richard wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 6:49 am i don’t hate him, I just feel we need better, none of our strikers are good enough.

No, sorry didn’t mean to necessarily imply you did but not much love for him out there.

I agree we need better but he’s done more than Grott, Ekuban and Lasogga this year.
Richard
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Twitter: @northantsmanvan

Post by Richard »

Shields53 wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 7:56 am No, sorry didn’t mean to necessarily imply you did but not much love for him out there.

I agree we need better but he’s done more than Grott, Ekuban and Lasogga this year.
No need to apologise I didn’t take it solely aimed at me :tup:

As someone else pointed out, he is probably best suited in a 2 up front 4-4-2 formation, maybe if we are keeping PH he will shine next season as I’m sure PH will want to sign players capable of playing 4-4-2, where this would leave Saiz and Pablo I have no idea, I’ve a horrible feeling Saiz might be sold.

If we play one in the middle alongside Forshaw it still leaves the other out of position and not as effective wide left.
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

Richard wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 8:28 am No need to apologise I didn’t take it solely aimed at me :tup:

As someone else pointed out, he is probably best suited in a 2 up front 4-4-2 formation, maybe if we are keeping PH he will shine next season as I’m sure PH will want to sign players capable of playing 4-4-2, where this would leave Saiz and Pablo I have no idea, I’ve a horrible feeling Saiz might be sold.

If we play one in the middle alongside Forshaw it still leaves the other out of position and not as effective wide left.
I'd be surprised if we see the saiz from the start of the season again.

He's not reached 27 and played his entire career in the second tier of Spain/England for no reason.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Shields53 wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 7:56 am No, sorry didn’t mean to necessarily imply you did but not much love for him out there.

Doukara did more than Grot, Ekuban & Lasogga but we got shot of him & replaced him & Wood with three clueless wonders who have never played in the championship

Roofe on the bench for me !
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator

Richard wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 8:28 am No need to apologise I didn’t take it solely aimed at me :tup:

With Ayling back I think it allows you to play with wing backs more. Gives your wide midfielders more opportunities to cut in.

After his attitude in the second half of the season I can't say I'd be sorry if Saiz went. Got a lot of respect for Pablo though, he is real class.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator

1964white wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 9:29 am Roofe on the bench for me !
Need to spend some £££ on a proven Championship striker first.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Shields53 wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 9:32 am Need to spend some £££ on a proven Championship striker first.
We certainly do :tup:

Unconvinced we will though :(
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Shields53 wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 9:30 am With Ayling back I think it allows you to play with wing backs more. Gives your wide midfielders more opportunities to cut in.

After his attitude in the second half of the season I can't say I'd be sorry if Saiz went. Got a lot of respect for Pablo though, he is real class.
Me too Adam, Pablo is a classy player

The less said about Saiz the better, he has a lot of making up to do in order for me to appreciate him again

Ayling was phenomenal v the hoops
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I'm one of two Roofe believers here. He's another Jermaine Beckford imo, Beckford would be a winger in this team, also needed a strike partner (Kandol, Becchio)

Roofe played a small percentage as striker, mostly winger and toward the end of the season was developing a real rapport with Pearce. I'd wanna see where that goes.

He's had a better season than Alioski, scored more despite playing 700 minutes less. Lost 3-5 on assists but pass completion much better. For those that like stats, I take them with a pinch of salt and use my eye which tells me he's been way more consistent than Gianni this season.

Who was the last LUFC winger to score comfortably in double figures while playing only 65% of the time?

He can beat players with ease with speed and guile, has a knack for getting in goal scoring positions, has a very good football IQ and can be as creative as the best of them, have we forgotten that sublime flick cross very early in the season from the edge of the box. That mazzy run which set Pablo in the clear. On top of that runs all day, closes down, good movement, forces mistakes.

Our big big problem was our center forwards (Lassoga, Grot, Ekuban) couldn't score enough goals ...and we couldn't maintain a consistent back 5...sort that out and we're top 6 easy
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
hector

Post by hector »

Ditto....

I'm t'other one by the way....
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Roofe is far and away our best forward.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

But most of Roofes goals were against crap teams?

Newport, QPR, Burton and Forest.

70% of his goals were against them.

Lacks pace imo, no where near the speed of Beckford.

To inconsistent imo, decent squad player.

Hope we go back in for Jack Marriott
Signed

King Cjay

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Cjay wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 11:22 am But most of Roofes goals were against crap teams?

Newport, QPR, Burton and Forest.

70% of his goals were against them.

Lacks pace imo, no where near the speed of Beckford.
He's faster than you think, if you can prove Beckford (who got L1 defenders remember, that must factor in) is faster then I'll agree

Roofe skinned a few full backs this season and the teams he scored against is irrelevant because those would have been goals against any team. Against better teams he either didn't play come on as sub or got isolated as our centre midfield got shut down...I've no interest in Roofe as a defender or tackler
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

faaip wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 11:30 am He's faster than you think, if you can prove Beckford (who got L1 defenders remember, that must factor in) is faster then I'll agree

Roofe skinned a few full backs this season and the teams he scored against is irrelevant because those would have been goals against any team. Against better teams he either didn't play come on as sub or got isolated as our centre midfield got shut down...I've no interest in Roofe as a defender or tackler
I mean i cant prove it, just my opinion.

But theres plenty of videos of Beckford sprinting away from people, Manchester United and Chelsea players included.

In a straight race Beckford would regularly run away from cbs, Roofe doesnt very often. Loved Beckford, underrated, could have had a good Prem career, 14 games 8 goals wasnt bad tbf.

He has beaten a few i admit, he has good intelligence and can beat a man, but for me he lacks the blistering pace he needs to play on the shoulder.
Signed

King Cjay