Stoke City v Leeds Utd - Post match discussion

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Boo Radley
First Team
First Team

Re: Stoke City v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Gruev starts as Farke makes three changes

Post by Boo Radley »

1964white wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:32 pm Well, Meslier plays as a third CB, we pass the ball to him more times than to our forwards. Why not give it to Mes?
… and he doesn’t have a colossal monkey on his back.

Their keeper actually dived very early, if he was remotely calm he’d have seen that.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Stoke City v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Gruev starts as Farke makes three changes

Post by SG90 »

whiteinfrance wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:38 pm It's like a curse our inability to defend corners

Has been for many a year

Maybe Revie's fault ?
Because we're too soft. It's the same with constantly missing chances. There's no ruthlessness at the club, and hasn't been for a long time.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

SG90 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:32 pm Piroe and Jimmy are our only real clinical finishers. Piroe would be my first choice, but with him off it had to be Jimmy.
Summerville might be poor at pens - we don’t know because we haven’t seen him.
Personally, I would go with Struijk. I rarely see him miss hit the ball. Sad state of affairs having to clutch at straws on this topic.

The least you do when taking a penalty is to work the keeper.
AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by AcrossThePondAsh »

Jaydog wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:38 pm Bamford taking a penalty. Almost like a cruel experiment. Like the golfer who shakes over a 3 foot putt. It’s a mental battle he can’t seem to win.
And any progress he had made physically is now useless as he's totally going to lose it mentally.
In Farke we trust...
whiteinfrance
First Team
First Team

Post by whiteinfrance »

Farke needs to get a grip

Have liked him up to now but tonight was poor from him
Allez les Blancs , Les Paons
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:39 pm Farke post match said according to stats we deserved to win or draw. Did he watch the 1st half? We could have been 2 down.
Deluded if he thought we deserved to win. Should've though, but would've been smash and grab.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

DDB220 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:40 pm Summerville might be poor at pens - we don’t know because we haven’t seen him.
Personally, I would go with Struijk. I rarely see him miss hit the ball. Sad state of affairs having to clutch at straws on this topic.

The least you do when taking a penalty is to work the keeper.
Yes we have. He took a good one against Salford. And was injured at that time apparently.
AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by AcrossThePondAsh »

1964white wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:34 pm Spot on SG,

Can you have a word in Farke's ears? I reckon he was on drugs today. :(
No cake on the sofa for DF tonight, 64 :lol:
In Farke we trust...
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

Jaydog wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:31 pm Very little change in the Ipswich starting lineup from game to game. Some say they’ll fade but I don’t think they will. They win tight games too.
Think that’s the first top 6 side Stoke have beaten. Us 😤
It’s early days JD, but I have Leicester and Ipswich up as top two, maybe we have a squeak but I can’t see it.

Play offs for us, and we don’t do them well.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
whiteinfrance
First Team
First Team

Post by whiteinfrance »

Struijk might be a good call for pens - he seems to have a cool head on him
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

SG90 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:41 pm Deluded if he thought we deserved to win. Should've though, but would've been smash and grab.
It is the generic narrative that all managers use.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:36 pm I don't know why we struggle on corners so much. Teams always crowd Meslier. We can't deal withy it. Opposition players are so much quicker in the box than any of ours. It's been that way for a few years. I don't get how we always look so susceptible.
Better in the air than us at both ends

Poor championship teams with big players play for set-pieces, unfortunately we haven't many in our team who are decent in the air, hence a major problem when we have to defend corners.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Why take off your top goalscorer if you need a goal?!
whiteinfrance
First Team
First Team

Post by whiteinfrance »

DDB220 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:44 pm It is the generic narrative that all managers use.
We deserved to win if we had a proper penalty taker
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

When Bamford misses a penalty do we always lose ?

Trying to remember if there has been an alternative result.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

1964white wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:45 pm Better in the air than us at both ends

Poor championship teams with big players play for set-pieces, unfortunately we haven't many in our team who are decent in the air, hence a major problem when we have to defend corners.
The only one we do is being frozen out. I thought today would be the perfect kind of game for Cresswell.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

DDB220 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:46 pm When Bamford misses a penalty do we always lose ?

Trying to remember if there has been an alternative result.
Drew against Newcastle
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Can't remember the other one he missed:
Stoke
Newcastle
Arsenal
QPR

And there was one other according to the post before
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Screenshot 2023-10-25 22.48.41.png
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Jaydog wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:31 pm Very little change in the Ipswich starting lineup from game to game. Some say they’ll fade but I don’t think they will. They win tight games too.
Think that’s the first top 6 side Stoke have beaten. Us 😤
They have a manager who knows his best 11 and sticks to roughly the same tactical setup that has served him well and gets the best out of his squad.

Kieran Mckennna is doing a fantastic job.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom