Music Chat Thread.

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Music Chat Thread.

Post by CUSSIE01 »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:43 am Today, I’d go with (in no particular order)
1. The Clash ‘London Calling’
2. Rolling Stones ‘Let It Bleed’
3. David Bowie ‘Ziggy Stardust….’
4. James ‘Pleased To Meet You’
5. Sex Pistols ‘Never Mind……’
6. Black Sabbath ‘Paranoid’
7. Rainbow ‘Rising’
8. The Specials ‘Specials’
9. Pink Floyd ‘Wish You Were Here’
10. MSPs ‘Lifeblood’
A lot of good stuff in there Muppet, not easy picking 10, I see 64 bottled out 😬
Keeping The Faith
GreennWhite
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by GreennWhite »

Just pick any 10 U2 songs and you cant go wrong :notes: :clapp:
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

CUSSIE01 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:18 pm A lot of good stuff in there Muppet, not easy picking 10, I see 64 bottled out 😬
As you say, Cussie not easy just picking ten is it........and on another day a couple of those may change, but more times than not I think the spine of my team would stay the same :)

See you have Hey Ma in your ten......must give that a listen, as haven't played for a while now.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I think it's Counting Crows magnificent slice of Americana, August and Everything After and Blueneck's Stunning Post Rock classic The Fallen Host are the only two so far on more than one list
Last edited by The Subhuman on Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by CUSSIE01 »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:32 pm As you say, Cussie not easy just picking ten is it........and on another day a couple of those may change, but more times than not I think the spine of my team would stay the same :)

See you have Hey Ma in your ten......must give that a listen, as haven't played for a while now.
Hey Ma is by no means Jame’s best album but there’s just something about it that I like, as you said there are some albums on your list that’ll never change & maybe 2/3 which are in the here & now & this is the latter. Mostly favourite songs/albums are more to do with where you were, who you were with, how you were feeling when you first heard them than being true musical classics.
Keeping The Faith
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by CUSSIE01 »

The Subhuman wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:49 pm I think it's Counting Crows magnificent slice of Americana, August an Everything After and Blueneck's Stunning Post Rock classic The Fallen Host are the only two far on more than one list
Bought August & Everything After at a 2nd hand record sale in Kilmarnock, bit random. The live version of Round Here is still a favourite, seen them at Slane Castle, brilliant live. Shamed to admit I’ve never heard of Blueneck but will def have a listen.
Keeping The Faith
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

CUSSIE01 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:46 pm Bought August & Everything After at a 2nd hand record sale in Kilmarnock, bit random. The live version of Round Here is still a favourite, seen them at Slane Castle, brilliant live. Shamed to admit I’ve never heard of Blueneck but will def have a listen.
Not surprising you've not heard of Blueneck ..5/6 magnificent post rock albums from the band from the South West. King Nine is probably the most accessible but they're all beautiful albums

"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Musicman1965
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Musicman1965 »

In 2016 The Brothers Osborne released "The Pawn Shop" for someone that never goes anywhere near Country Rock just listening to this
is something special. How can some forms of music we just dismiss just because we have an opinion that paints all the genre with the same brush. Just listened to the Brothers Osborne self titled album for 2023. Good music comes along sometimes, its simple but enjoyable... and puts a smile on your face.... Brothers Osborne - Brothers Osborne (2023)
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Musicman1965 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:41 pm In 2016 The Brothers Osborne released "The Pawn Shop" for someone that never goes anywhere near Country Rock just listening to this
is something special. How can some forms of music we just dismiss just because we have an opinion that paints all the genre with the same brush. Just listened to the Brothers Osborne self titled album for 2023. Good music comes along sometimes, its simple but enjoyable... and puts a smile on your face.... Brothers Osborne - Brothers Osborne (2023)
Not something I suffer from, some great Alt Country and Country rock out there. Try Larkin Poe's Blood Harmony from last year or any of their blues laden stuff
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Spotlights - Alchemy for the Dead, Cory Hanon's Western Cum and Dark Horses' Hail Lucid State was the sound track down to Brighton on Saturday... Ozrics and Pink Floyd for the journey back

Currently have the excellent Tropical f**k Storm's Laughing Death on at the moment, it was Water From Your Eyes - Everybody's Crushed before that. The latter in the running for the 23 top ten albums
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Musicman1965 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:41 pm In 2016 The Brothers Osborne released "The Pawn Shop" for someone that never goes anywhere near Country Rock just listening to this
Not me Musicman, my favourite band have a country feel.

I shall give The Brothers Osbourne a listen.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

CUSSIE01 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:46 pm Bought August & Everything After at a 2nd hand record sale in Kilmarnock, bit random. The live version of Round Here is still a favourite, seen them at Slane Castle, brilliant live. Shamed to admit I’ve never heard of Blueneck but will def have a listen.
I have all the Counting Crows albums on my shelves, Cussie.

August & Everything After is ultimately their best work, brilliant :tup:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:32 pm As you say, Cussie not easy just picking ten is it........and on another day a couple of those may change, but more times than not I think the spine of my team would stay the same :)

Almost impossible for me to pigeon hole ten albums.

I suppose I could start by selecting my favourite bands from each decade, that should give me at least seven albums, there still lies a problem as I love more than just one album from my favourite artists.

Rolling Stones/David Bowie
Marvin Gaye/Wishbone Ash
Smiths/Talk Talk
Radiohead
Elbow
??? (have to give that decade some thought)
Delines

My favourites goes much deeper than those artists as there are loads of obscure albums I enjoy.
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by CUSSIE01 »

1964white wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:55 am Almost impossible for me to pigeon hole ten albums.

I suppose I could start by selecting my favourite bands from each decade, that should give me at least seven albums, there still lies a problem as I love more than just one album from my favourite artists.

Rolling Stones/David Bowie
Marvin Gaye/Wishbone Ash
Smiths/Talk Talk
Radiohead
Elbow
??? (have to give that decade some thought)
Delines

My favourites goes much deeper than those artists as there are loads of obscure albums I enjoy.
Don’t overthink it, as Cat says there’ll be a spine to start then go with your gut. On a different day I would have added Talk Talk, Bowie, Placebo, Neil Young; The Stones; Aretha, The Ramones …………………….Just go for it
Keeping The Faith
Musicman1965
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Musicman1965 »

:tup:
The Subhuman wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:37 pm Not something I suffer from, some great Alt Country and Country rock out there. Try Larkin Poe's Blood Harmony from last year or any of their blues laden stuff
hector

Post by hector »

My 1st 3 choices are live albums
The song remains the Same - Zep
Pulse - Pink Floyd
David Live - Bowie
Battle at the garden gate - Greta Van Fleet
more to follow.... It changes every day
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I currently have 30 albums on the list as good to very good this year, still got a number to listen to
1964white

Post by 1964white »

The Subhuman wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:39 am I currently have 30 albums on the list as good to very good this year, still got a number to listen to
Blimey!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Another No.1 single for The Beatles.

Now and Then" debuted on the UK Singles Chart on 3 November 2023 at number 42, based on ten hours of sales. The following week it rose 41 positions to reach number one on the chart, which is the Beatles' first UK number one song in 54 years since their 1969 single "The Ballad of John and Yoko", setting a record for the longest gap between number one singles by any musical act. It accumulated 78,000 units in its first full week of sales and streaming with 48,000 from physical sales and downloads.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

1964white wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:08 pm Another No.1 single for The Beatles.

Now and Then" debuted on the UK Singles Chart on 3 November 2023 at number 42, based on ten hours of sales. The following week it rose 41 positions to reach number one on the chart, which is the Beatles' first UK number one song in 54 years since their 1969 single "The Ballad of John and Yoko", setting a record for the longest gap between number one singles by any musical act. It accumulated 78,000 units in its first full week of sales and streaming with 48,000 from physical sales and downloads.
I heard it the other day Leon.

I'm a Beatles fan, but just think that song is dreadful.

Wouldn't matter how bad it was people would buy it, based purely on the fact that it's the Beatles.