Leeds Utd v Ipswich Town Match Thread

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Leeds Utd v Ipswich Town Match Thread

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:53 pm I think/hope that it shows Farke can tweak tactics when he spots weaknesses in opposition teams. He knew Ipswich were going to try to play to their strengths and he turned it into a weakness. Harder for any manager to come up with ways of beating a parked bus defence when the strikeforce has an off day.

Many don't seem to think Farke has tactical felxibility but that is because the subtle tweaks go unnoticed, or things like the traps that they work on in training so that they exploit opposition ways of playing.

Hopefully other teams will take note and also exploit Ipswich weaknesses although of course that only matters if we do our job.
He did spot a weakness in Ipswich today, down the left for example.

It relied on McKenna not changing tactic same as Coventry or Sunderland did and fortunately for us they didht.

Ipswich stayed loyal to what has served then so well and fair play for it (something Bielsa got praised for on here for by certain people).

But they shouldn't in hindsight obviously, it played into the hands of probably the best and fastest front 4 in the league.

I did like that we switched to the more controlled style to kill off the game, that is the time to do it not when chasing as we have in previous games.

Fair play to Farke.

It isn't that he is totally inflexible (we know he switches between counter and possession based) it's just that time have occurred where one totally fails and the other is counter productive.

Hopefully today is a catalyst.

Happy day
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Sean_Nile
First Team
First Team

Post by Sean_Nile »

weasel wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:53 pm I think/hope that it shows Farke can tweak tactics when he spots weaknesses in opposition teams. He knew Ipswich were going to try to play to their strengths and he turned it into a weakness. Harder for any manager to come up with ways of beating a parked bus defence when the strikeforce has an off day.

Many don't seem to think Farke has tactical felxibility but that is because the subtle tweaks go unnoticed, or things like the traps that they work on in training so that they exploit opposition ways of playing.

Hopefully other teams will take note and also exploit Ipswich weaknesses although of course that only matters if we do our job.
Yes there was one obvious change in tactics... spider boy was no longer faffing about playing tippy- tap with the centre backs, more often than not he was waving the team forward and booting the ball done the pitch.

I feel that playing it out from the back is a mistake waiting to happen, so it was a great relief to see the ball soar down the park and out of our 18 yard box.
Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Post by Finnatic »

The Subhuman wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:46 pmWe only struggle when teams can pull down our front 4 at will with no recourse and they basically pack the box
This and only this 👍🏻
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:04 pm He did spot a weakness in Ipswich today, down the left for example.

It relied on McKenna not changing tactic same as Coventry or Sunderland did and fortunately for us they didht.

Ipswich stayed loyal to what has served then so well and fair play for it (something Bielsa got praised for on here for by certain people).

But they shouldn't in hindsight obviously, it played into the hands of probably the best and fastest front 4 in the league.

I did like that we switched to the more controlled style to kill off the game, that is the time to do it not when chasing as we have in previous games.

Fair play to Farke.

It isn't that he is totally inflexible (we know he switches between counter and possession based) it's just that time have occurred where one totally fails and the other is counter productive.

Hopefully today is a catalyst.

Happy day
Similar with Bielsa I think it is a case of knowing that the tactics will be successful most of the time. As also mentioned by DDB220 at some point it needs better players when facing better players. Bielsa's strongest Leeds XI, playing his way, would comfortably survive in the prem although at times would struggle against the better sides and that will be the same for Ipswich - they can play their way and generally have success against most championship sides but when the opposition players are more capable then the tactics can come unstuck. You also have the element of surprise with the tactics, for us with Bielsa in the prem season 1 and similarly for Ipswich this season. As time wears on weaknesses get spotted and can then be exploited.
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

White Riot wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:53 pm Good Willie is getting a run.

But Farke really needs to give Gruev some minutes here
I can prescribe tablets for that
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Just finished our busiest week of the year at work so missed the game live. What a footballing early Christmas present that is. We needed a a top result along with a convincing performance. By the sounds of it we got the lot. Looking forward to catching up on the game later.

Get in theeerrrr.
VinnysTattoo
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by VinnysTattoo »

Made a top two side look very ordinary.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Kennyb41 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:18 am Seems lunacy is affecting all fans, these boyz that drive tractors are also desperate with worry that they concede goals, seems they also want it all.

Can you Adam n Eve it, they're scoring, they're in automatic, they're creating, they're attacking.

But God damn it, they're open to conceding.

Call the defence police i say.

https://tractor-boys.com/forum/viewtopi ... 0efe6d2bee
Read the comments from page 3 onwards. The Ipswich fans are ripping their players to shreds. I thought some on here were brutal....
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Chilli D wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:58 pm Read the comments from page 3 onwards. The Ipswich fans are ripping their players to shreds. I thought some on here were brutal....
Same on every forum after a poor performance or result.

It's why I don't get why some on here get so defensive as if it's unique on here, it isn't.

Man City have pages and pages of criticisms, Leicester have a massive Maresca thread with many of the criticism Farke has had here.

It's no different here to anywhere else.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Tyzy
First Team
First Team

Post by Tyzy »

Just got back from watching the game at the Father in laws, what an unbelievable result ! Lets hope this is the start of the wheels falling off for Ipswich.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Orange Box wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:34 pm I can prescribe tablets for that
:lol:

I usually have a bull's eye 👁️ to see me through the week ;-)
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:05 pm Same on every forum after a poor performance or result.

It's why I don't get why some on here get so defensive as if it's unique on here, it isn't.

Man City have pages and pages of criticisms, Leicester have a massive Maresca thread with many of the criticism Farke has had here.

It's no different here to anywhere else.
I think it is useful to have a bit of perspective as a bad result isn't always a result of a bad performance and similarly a good result isn't always because of a good performance. That for me is when stats can be very useful - for example if you deserve to win a game based on the stats then you are in theory doing something right and you need to work out whether the results would improve if you keep playing that way.

The Ipswich fans should be grateful for how brilliant their players have been over the last year or so. One bad performance doesn't diminish what they have achieved and if they were mid table and lost to us they would have likely not been as vitriolic to their players - it is unfair to criticise for a poor performance after massive over-achievement. This I believe was just their 3rd defeat of the season and them losing to us earlier this season hardly de-railed them. They could well bounce back and win promotion at a canter.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Chilli D wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:03 pm Spence is getting better with every game
I thought Spence was excellent today. He has a really good short sprint that's useful in both attack and defence. On a couple of occasions, his short pace was really good in recovery.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

CUSSIE01 wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:04 pm Though taking Archie off for Firpo & swapping Spence to the right would be better, give Archie a rest
Thought the same. Farke obviously not worried about how many minutes Archie is playing
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

John in Louisiana wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:11 pm Have they had a shot on target today? I can't recall one.
They hit the post. But didn't have a shot on target all day.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

What a performance.

I tuned in late. Thought it was a 3pm kick off. So when I started getting ready to watch it was the 75th minute and we were 4 up. So, I rewound and watched from the start. What a nice way to start the day.

Thought we were excellent all over the park. Meslier didn't have a shot to save, although he was stretched for the one that hit the post. We scored 4 and hit the cross bar twice. You can't get more dominant at both ends than that.

There was a tweak in the tactics. It showed us much more inclined to play the long ball for James to run onto. Farke obviously knew they'd leave that area vacant and took full advantage of it.

Probably a bit naive of Ipswich too. Leif Davis was often far upfield when we were sending those balls down to Dan James. He had a bit of a mare today with the own goal and the penalty. I'm sure that's the first goal he's scored for us. Glad to see the fans applauding him as he walked off. Was a totally likeable lad when he was here. But, contrary to what a few were saying this week, not the left back we should have hung onto. Nor was Niall Huggins.

In that regard, thought Djed Spence was terrific. He looked a class above with his dribbling and extra bursts of pace. Likewise, Archie had an excellent game at RB. Can't complain at all about the full backs we do have.

And this should show that Ipswich can be beat a few more times this season. If we maintain 2 points per game, we should get promoted.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:56 pm I thought Spence was excellent today. He has a really good short sprint that's useful in both attack and defence. On a couple of occasions, his short pace was really good in recovery.
It was v v evident today that DF had had Spence in for a sit down going over his last game freezeframe by freezeframe.

I was a bit bothered about him and was presuming it was coz he was on the left, but a bit of tweaking here and theer done him good, be great if we get him going on the right and Byram left, give Gray a rest.

Bloody hell Kamara was good today.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Did anyone think there was an issue between Piroe and Summerville over the penalty?

Farke had said previously that Piroe was our penalty taker. He was standing right behind Summerville as he put the ball on the spot. Looked to me like there was a discussion over who would take it.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Jeez if only DJ and Jimmy could see a pass :roll:

Jimmy'l be reet it'll come.

If it doesn't come for DJ, he'll forever be held back to how far his game could go and it'll cost him a lot of money, shame if it doesn't come that.

I wonder if DF can help him overcome it, i know i could :tup:
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

One of the least nerve-wracking games of the season, a breeze for us fans to be honest.

Scored all four goals at the right-time, totally killed the game off with the fourth goal from Piroe.

Restricted Ipswich to two shots.

9 out of 9 points against Leicester & Ipswich

Terrific performance :clap: