Jan. 23/24 Transfer and Squad Discussion

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Jan. 23/24 Transfer and Squad Discussion - RB Connor Roberts Deal in Works?

Post by Cjay »

The Sinisterra rumours have substance according to the YEP

Noises about Poveda going as well
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by AcrossThePondAsh »

There's been mention of interest in Welsh international and Newcastle CB Paul Dummett, who is left-footed and can play LB as well. Ipswich was also said to be interested but may no longer be.
In Farke we trust...
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:46 pm He absolutely wouldn't

Hence why Millwall only used him for 16 matches worth of minutes last season and didn't activate the buy option which according to Phil was cheap.

Nice lad, good pro, but not much else
So he got 16 matches worth of minutes and featured 36 times for Millwall who finished 8th in the championship despite being a loan player (and we saw how Millwall preferred to use their centrebacks rather than the loan player Crsswell). I think my point is further cemented by your use of minutes as 2/3rds of the championship teams finished below Millwall so in theory would likely offer him more minutes and I think if he was a permanent player he would play more for clubs and would have played more for Millwall.

Also worth noting thta Millwall aren't big spenders so a cheap option may not be as cheap as it would seem to us. I wonder if they would have looked to loan him again if Farke would have made him available?
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

What is causing the lack of movement in the transfer market?

"In an acronym, PSR - Profit and Sustainability Rules, or what used to be called Financial Fair Play (FFP)," says Professor Rob Wilson, football finance expert at Sheffield Hallam University.

"The charges hanging over Nottingham Forest and Everton for alleged breaches of the Premier League's PSR in their 2022-23 finances have put the wind up other clubs.

"Clubs probably thought they could stray from the guidelines a little bit and only get a small punishment. Now there is a real nervousness."
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:27 pm So he got 16 matches worth of minutes and featured 36 times for Millwall who finished 8th in the championship despite being a loan player (and we saw how Millwall preferred to use their centrebacks rather than the loan player Crsswell). I think my point is further cemented by your use of minutes as 2/3rds of the championship teams finished below Millwall so in theory would likely offer him more minutes and I think if he was a permanent player he would play more for clubs and would have played more for Millwall.

Also worth noting thta Millwall aren't big spenders so a cheap option may not be as cheap as it would seem to us. I wonder if they would have looked to loan him again if Farke would have made him available?
Cresswell played 25 marches worth of minutes and was injured for 11 games.

Shacks wasn't, he was basically on a similar minutes played as the one Ayling was on for us whilst here this season.

Millwall didn't want him.

Would he get into some Championship starting 11s? Maybe a few.

Be nowhere near half

Maybe 2 or 3 and maybe even less than that given 22nd placed QPR looked at him in the summer according to Phil Hay and decided against it.
Last edited by Cjay on Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signed

King Cjay

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

I see Jack Jenkins has joined National league team Halifax Town.

Another one of our academy touted for big things going backwards in his young career.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

This winter window has seen several high-profile loan deals, with Tottenham's Eric Dier joining Bayern Munich, Manchester United's Jadon Sancho returning to Borussia Dortmund and Manchester City's Kalvin Phillips moving to West Ham.

"Loan deals are a function of PSR and also the higher wages in England," says Professor Rob Wilson, football finance expert at Sheffield Hallam University.

"Players are being loaned out with the parent club having to pay 30%, 40%, even 50% of the player's wages. Jadon Sancho is a good example of that."

So are the days of £100m transfers over or will Premier League clubs return to paying eye-watering fees in the summer?

"One working theory is clubs will have a spell of increased spending followed by two years of restraint," said Wilson.

"This would be typical behaviour of a Championship club, where the finance rules are stricter."
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:42 pm Cresswell played 25 marches worth of minutes and was injured for 11 games.

Shacks wasn't, he was basically on a similar minutes played as the one Ayling was on for us whilst here this season.

Millwall didn't want him.

Would he get into some Championship starting 11s? Maybe a few.

Be nowhere near half

Maybe 2 or 3 and maybe even less than that given 22nd placed QPR looked at him in the summer according to Phil Hay and decided against it.
Different in that Ayling's minutes taken as a whole are inflated because he started the first few matches of the season and then didn't whereas as I have stated Shackleton featured in 36 of Millwall's matches. After Ayling got dropped Farke preferred Shackleton to him, so Shackleton was preferred over a player who left us to go to a team with play-offs hopes and where he has started every match. I think you under estimate Shackleton. A neat player who has good footballing intellect to play anywhere and seemingly got the Bielsa system and also the Farke system. For me and where the club is he is the equivalent of a Nicky Butt or Phil Neville at MU. Not good enough to be a regular starter, and wouldn't necesarily get more games elsewhere or standout, but when called upon comes in and gives a steady performance.
herefordbornleedsboy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by herefordbornleedsboy »

20240201_170837.jpg
Private jet flying north over Oxfordshire... hearing we've got Saliba coming in from Arsenal on a loan to buy ;-)
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

herefordbornleedsboy wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:10 pm 20240201_170837.jpg
Private jet flying north over Oxfordshire... hearing we've got Saliba coming in from Arsenal on a loan to buy ;-)
I’d send that one in to SKY SPORTS if I were you 😁
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
herefordbornleedsboy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by herefordbornleedsboy »

Barlow Boy wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:11 pm I’d send that one in to SKY SPORTS if I were you 😁
Cue it being front page news by tomorrow. :lol:
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

herefordbornleedsboy wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:21 pm Cue it being front page news by tomorrow. :lol:
😂😂😂
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

Phil saying everything pretty much sorted with Roberts 👍
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

weasel wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:27 pm So he got 16 matches worth of minutes and featured 36 times for Millwall who finished 8th in the championship despite being a loan player (and we saw how Millwall preferred to use their centrebacks rather than the loan player Crsswell). I think my point is further cemented by your use of minutes as 2/3rds of the championship teams finished below Millwall so in theory would likely offer him more minutes and I think if he was a permanent player he would play more for clubs and would have played more for Millwall.

They did? Think you're wrong there!
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Tin hat on.

Just me who thinks the squad looks very thin?

Dallas is injured
Poveda is going it seems.
Gelhardt is a busted flush probably needs a loan and is hardly used anyway
Joseph is a few years away from being a Championship player imo.

You take those out it's 18 first team outfield players, that isn't even enough to fill a matchday squad anymore (and that's if Farke has gotten over his tiff with CC)

Roberts makes 19.

It seems very thin and very reliant on very few injuries which given 4 or 5 of those players are extremely injury prone seems wishful thinking.
Last edited by Cjay on Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signed

King Cjay

1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:12 pm Tin hat on.

Just me who thinks the squad looks very thin?

Dallas is injured
Poveda is going it seems.
Gelhardt is a busted flush probably needs a loan and is hardly used anyway
Joseph is a few years away from being a Championship player imo.

You take those out it's 18 first team outfield players, that isn't even enough to fill a matchday squad anymore (and that's if Farke has gotten over his tiff with CC)

Roberts makes 19.

It seems very thin
Bielsa style!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Barlow Boy wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:24 pm Phil saying everything pretty much sorted with Roberts 👍
Screenshot 2024-02-01 18.17.22.png
Screenshot 2024-02-01 18.17.22.png (302.33 KiB) Viewed 404 times
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

1964white wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:18 pm Screenshot 2024-02-01 18.17.22.png
I thought Poveda looked decent when he came on against Plymouth.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Cjay wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:22 pm Erm both YEP and Athletic said we want a cb, I was repeating what the YEP said basically word for word.

It wasn't my opinion :lol:

We are still light on the right wing and 10 area and left back imo.

Find it very odd we have seemingly stopped bothering with those positions given we tried to buy 3 10s in August, Amiri, Chair and O'Riley and 2 in this window.

Now not bothering.

For me a right back is just a typical Radz and Orta window if it's the only one.

Buy one to replace one, never any thought to building a squad and depth.

But no left back would be again odd as even Farke said months ago it was light
Aye but it is the circumstances of wanting a player. If Cresswell and Cooper are staying do you think we need a CB or is it more about trying to improve on what we have depth wise ? I.e one out one in. The fact he is having to play Amps out of position when he has other options tells me it is a depth question. Therefore for me one in for one out.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Chilli D wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:39 pm I thought Poveda looked decent when he came on against Plymouth.
Would be disappointing if Poveda left without an incoming. He was useful for minutes off the bench. Farke has used him a couple of times recently. That implies if he goes, we should have another we can call upon. Unless he just plans on using Gelhardt more frequently/