Heidi's Blog - Gnonto's Brilliance Secures Leeds Top Spot

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Lufcheidi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Twitter: @FollowMeAndLUFC

Heidi's Blog - Gnonto's Brilliance Secures Leeds Top Spot

Post by Lufcheidi »

Leeds United v Millwall | 17th March 2024 | Elland Road

A big thank you to everyone for their hugs and comments today on what would have been my daughter’s 33rd birthday. Not everyone can say they had their birth announced live on tv by Greavsie like Charlotte did. Missing my first game in 7 years due to giving birth, I’ll always be grateful having this memory to remember her.

As we reached the Peacock there was a queue to the garden and a bouncer told me it’s because Luke Ayling put £5,000 behind the bar for Leeds fans. When I asked if he was still here, I was told that’s what the queue was for before seeing Luke stood in front of us. I told him it was good to see him which he thanked me for, and my granddaughter got her photo taken with him.

There were a lot of stop/starts which made it quite frustrating with a lot of fouls from Millwall. Gnonto got into a spat in the right-hand corner and think he retaliated as the Millwall player launched himself at him. This ended up with them both being booked, and it was nice to see Bamford have a quick word with Gnonto. Keeping our cool was going to be hard with some of the challenges coming in but we couldn’t afford to have anyone sent off. Around the half hour mark, Gnonto received the ball from Rutter on the right of the goal, ran forward, cut inside and unleashed a ferocious shot that hit the back of the net in front of the south stand. As Elland Road erupted with us in the lead, it was as if to say, mess with me at your peril and this is what you get! Summerville saw his shot saved by the keeper.

When Firpo was booked my first reaction was that he would receive a red card, so it was a relief to see a yellow card shown. When Rodon went down under a challenge in the penalty area, everyone was shouting at the referee as he didn’t stop play with a head injury. Replays later showed a knee in his chest from the Millwall player and his head bounced off the ground on the way down. The referee realised he’d dropped a clanger as Rodon was still off the pitch as Millwall had their corner after play had continued. He gave a free kick to us once it was taken which showed to us that he knew he had made a mistake.

The second half saw Summerville brought down and another booking for Millwall before they made four subs at the same time. After this they started to attack, but I’d no need to panic as we were unlucky not to get a second goal when Rutter saw his initial shot saved as well as his second shot pushed onto the post by the keeper with the underside of his leg. Meslier made a great save to keep them out, but the flag was up for offside. They had started to look dangerous, so it was good to see us make changes with James on for Gnonto and a few minutes later Anthony for Summerville. This had an immediate impact and Rutter once again with some great play got to the byline and crossed the ball for James to put the ball into the net to double our lead. That crowned a good week for him as his wife had a baby boy a few days ago so congratulations to them both. He also hit the post shortly afterwards.

I couldn’t join in at first with the chants of Leeds are going up and being top of the league until the dying minutes as I didn’t want to jeopardise the score, but it was good to know that we had indeed gone top. With Ipswich winning Sheffield Wednesday 6-0 yesterday and Leicester not playing due to the FA Cup, it was still a lovely position to be in at the start of the international break. It is very tight at the top and no doubt there will be many swings and roundabouts before the end of the season, but we will enjoy it whilst we can.

See you at Watford on Good Friday, LUFC – Marching on Together!

Leeds won the game 2-0 with Gnonto (33) and James (79) scoring the goals.

Team: Meslier, Ampadu (Captain), Rodon, Gray, Kamara, Firpo, Bamford, Summerville, Gnonto, Rutter, Gruev

Subs: James for Gnonto (69), Anthony for Summerville (74), Joseph for Bamford (90), Roberts for Kamara (90), Piroe for Rutter (90)

Unused Subs: Darlow, Cooper, Cresswell, Byram

Attendance: 34,814 (896 Millwall Fans)
Referee: Stephen Martin
Booked: Gnonto, Firpo, Gruev

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Heidi's blog Leeds United v Millwall 17/3/24

Post by 1964white »

Nice photos as ever, Heidi.

Luke epitomises everything what it means to be Leeds. What a bloke!

That scarf on the fella with long grey hair, who was on the concourse with us has been through the wringer, one of the originals from the 60s/70s, I guess.

Good to see you again.
Lufcheidi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Lufcheidi »

1964white wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:56 am Nice photos as ever, Heidi.

Luke epitomises everything what it means to be Leeds. What a bloke!

That scarf on the fella with long grey hair, who was on the concourse with us has been through the wringer, one of the originals from the 60s/70s, I guess.

Good to see you again.
Sorry our conversation was cut short as I was in demand but nice to talk. Trampas is definitely one from the 70s and he is well known for having a penny whistle and playing Leeds songs. I've got a photo of him somewhere playing it to one of my granddaughters although I've no idea where to find it. He is on these photos from 1975
Anderlecht 1975
Paris 1975
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Heidi's Blog - Gnonto's Brilliance Secures Leeds Top Spot

Post by CUSSIE01 »

Lufcheidi wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:59 am

Leeds United v Millwall | 17th March 2024 | Elland Road

A big thank you to everyone for their hugs and comments today on what would have been my daughter’s 33rd birthday. Not everyone can say they had their birth announced live on tv by Greavsie like Charlotte did. Missing my first game in 7 years due to giving birth, I’ll always be grateful having this memory to remember her.

As we reached the Peacock there was a queue to the garden and a bouncer told me it’s because Luke Ayling put £5,000 behind the bar for Leeds fans. When I asked if he was still here, I was told that’s what the queue was for before seeing Luke stood in front of us. I told him it was good to see him which he thanked me for, and my granddaughter got her photo taken with him.

There were a lot of stop/starts which made it quite frustrating with a lot of fouls from Millwall. Gnonto got into a spat in the right-hand corner and think he retaliated as the Millwall player launched himself at him. This ended up with them both being booked, and it was nice to see Bamford have a quick word with Gnonto. Keeping our cool was going to be hard with some of the challenges coming in but we couldn’t afford to have anyone sent off. Around the half hour mark, Gnonto received the ball from Rutter on the right of the goal, ran forward, cut inside and unleashed a ferocious shot that hit the back of the net in front of the south stand. As Elland Road erupted with us in the lead, it was as if to say, mess with me at your peril and this is what you get! Summerville saw his shot saved by the keeper.

When Firpo was booked my first reaction was that he would receive a red card, so it was a relief to see a yellow card shown. When Rodon went down under a challenge in the penalty area, everyone was shouting at the referee as he didn’t stop play with a head injury. Replays later showed a knee in his chest from the Millwall player and his head bounced off the ground on the way down. The referee realised he’d dropped a clanger as Rodon was still off the pitch as Millwall had their corner after play had continued. He gave a free kick to us once it was taken which showed to us that he knew he had made a mistake.

The second half saw Summerville brought down and another booking for Millwall before they made four subs at the same time. After this they started to attack, but I’d no need to panic as we were unlucky not to get a second goal when Rutter saw his initial shot saved as well as his second shot pushed onto the post by the keeper with the underside of his leg. Meslier made a great save to keep them out, but the flag was up for offside. They had started to look dangerous, so it was good to see us make changes with James on for Gnonto and a few minutes later Anthony for Summerville. This had an immediate impact and Rutter once again with some great play got to the byline and crossed the ball for James to put the ball into the net to double our lead. That crowned a good week for him as his wife had a baby boy a few days ago so congratulations to them both. He also hit the post shortly afterwards.

I couldn’t join in at first with the chants of Leeds are going up and being top of the league until the dying minutes as I didn’t want to jeopardise the score, but it was good to know that we had indeed gone top. With Ipswich winning Sheffield Wednesday 6-0 yesterday and Leicester not playing due to the FA Cup, it was still a lovely position to be in at the start of the international break. It is very tight at the top and no doubt there will be many swings and roundabouts before the end of the season, but we will enjoy it whilst we can.

See you at Watford on Good Friday, LUFC – Marching on Together!

Leeds won the game 2-0 with Gnonto (33) and James (79) scoring the goals.

Team: Meslier, Ampadu (Captain), Rodon, Gray, Kamara, Firpo, Bamford, Summerville, Gnonto, Rutter, Gruev

Subs: James for Gnonto (69), Anthony for Summerville (74), Joseph for Bamford (90), Roberts for Kamara (90), Piroe for Rutter (90)

Unused Subs: Darlow, Cooper, Cresswell, Byram

Attendance: 34,814 (896 Millwall Fans)
Referee: Stephen Martin
Booked: Gnonto, Firpo, Gruev

Great photos and match report as always Heidi, if you don’t mind I’ve never heard the story about Greavsie announcing your daughter’s birth. Luke will always be a hero to Leeds fans but that gesture in The Peacock shows what a top bloke he is and his appreciation of the Leeds fans in return.
Keeping The Faith
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Nice class way for Luke to say goodbye. If he hadn't already cemented his place in the Yorkshire heart.... putting between £2-5k behind the bar should get him his own statue. Loving that geezers old scarf. I am presuming the guy dressed as a cow promoting Irish beef must be a farmer. And great to see what looks like a Maltese contingent of fans come over.

Good stuff Heidi.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Lufcheidi wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:43 pm Sorry our conversation was cut short as I was in demand but nice to talk.
No apologies required, you are a popular lady, Heidi.
Lufcheidi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Lufcheidi »

Leeds1000 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:42 pm Nice class way for Luke to say goodbye. If he hadn't already cemented his place in the Yorkshire heart.... putting between £2-5k behind the bar should get him his own statue. Loving that geezers old scarf. I am presuming the guy dressed as a cow promoting Irish beef must be a farmer. And great to see what looks like a Maltese contingent of fans come over.

Good stuff Heidi.
Thank you. It's just been confirmed by the Peacock that he put £500 behind the bar which is still a fantastic gesture although the bouncer did tell me £5,000! It was still hearsay though and I hadn't seen it mentioned anywhere else but it looks like my first amount spread like wildfire!!
Trampas with the scarf was known for playing a penny whistle too and we have a great Maltese support who have been really great in supporting me. I've already been invited to their end of season do here.

I've no idea what the lad with the flag was doing and as I said to him I share everything but thought it was to do with St Patrick's day.
Lufcheidi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Lufcheidi »

1964white wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:26 pm No apologies required, you are a popular lady, Heidi.
Thanks. I nearly met mentalcase again but he did a runner at the Peacock once he saw me head towards the Halifax lads! Well he was hiding nearby.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Lufcheidi wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:06 pm Thanks. I nearly met mentalcase again but he did a runner at the Peacock once he saw me head towards the Halifax lads! Well he was hiding nearby.
So Mental is fine with his Halifax mates, but he doesn't mix with our bunch of rabble ;-)
hector

Post by hector »

1964white wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:51 am So Mental is fine with his Halifax mates, but he doesn't mix with our bunch of rabble ;-)
Can't say I blame him
1964white

Post by 1964white »

hector wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:22 am Can't say I blame him
:lol: :lol: :lol:
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

1964white wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:51 am So Mental is fine with his Halifax mates, but he doesn't mix with our bunch of rabble ;-)
This is correct 8-)
I have street cred tha knows.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Lufcheidi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Lufcheidi »

Definitely not good enough to be seen near me
Lufcheidi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Lufcheidi »

mentalcase wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:48 pm This is correct 8-)
I’ll find you one day when you are sneaking off
1964white

Post by 1964white »

mentalcase wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:48 pm This is correct 8-)
Sod the street cred mate, come & have a chat with Kev & I. :-D

I promise I'll keep my phone in my pocket, can't say the same for Heidi though. :lol:
Lufcheidi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Lufcheidi »

1964white wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:17 pm Sod the street cred mate, come & have a chat with Kev & I. :-D

I promise I'll keep my phone in my pocket, can't say the same for Heidi though. :lol:
I've already said to Andy B that I wouldn't take any photos of him. Not sure whether he passed that on or didn't believe me. Seriously though it would be good to all have a chat at the front of the Kop.
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by CUSSIE01 »

1964white wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:17 pm Sod the street cred mate, come & have a chat with Kev & I. :-D

I’ll have a beer with you all in The Peacock before the Hull game, my street cred was shot long ago.
Keeping The Faith
1964white

Post by 1964white »

CUSSIE01 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:53 pm I’ll have a beer with you all in The Peacock before the Hull game, my street cred was shot long ago.
Would be good, Cussie.

Can't guarantee I could make it to the Peacock as our coach always arrives from East Yorkshire later for night games than 3pm kick-offs.