Wilfried Gnonto

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Wilfried Gnonto

Post by Barlow Boy »

1964white wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:05 pm Outstanding finish.

The goal was at South Stand end, even so I still had a great view as I was in line with Willy's shot, which he arrowed into the corner of the net.
Yes, we had a great view of it mate, I could see it going in as soon as it left his boot.

Good to see you again today pal 👍
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Barlow Boy wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:12 pm Yes, we had a great view of it mate, I could see it going in as soon as it left his boot.

Good to see you again today pal 👍
And you too, mate.

Gnonto's goal lightened up a bit of a dull first-half.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

The Subhuman wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:37 pm Gnonto has to start for me atm ...
You can't fault Dan James at all this year. His performances. His goals. The way he terrorizes championship defenses with his pace. HIs work ethic.

And you can fault Gnonto for his behaviour earlier in the season. But Gnonto is just of another quality. Already an Italy international when we signed him. We saw it in bits last season. He's probably the best player we have. Since his head is in the right place now and he's enjoying himself, I agree. You can't leave him out.

In fact a couple of weeks ago when we played 4 in 10, I would have liked to have seen both James and Gnonto, with Summerville resting for one of those games.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Terrific work rate yesterday from Gnonto again, I was inline with his goal , great strike, also his tracking back, put in a great challenge in front of us on the touchline which Archie congratulated him for covering.
All this hard work is down the DF and the coaching staff, no one gets an easy ride anymore, long may it continue.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Going to be controversial here.

Gnonto scored a stunning goal :soccer: but Willy had a relatively quiet game.
Jammy 07
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Jammy 07 »

Another factor is that Gnonto is now mostly tasked with playing for about an hour since DJ returned to fitness. Not saying he's not capable of playing the full 90 mins but it's definitely helping him keep that little bit fresher which is working to our advantage.
AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by AcrossThePondAsh »

Source: https://twitter.com/LUFC/status/1769825 ... gr%5Etweet
In Farke we trust...
Jammy 07
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Jammy 07 »

1964white wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:23 pm Going to be controversial here.

In an attacking sense our whole right side was virtually non existent until Dan James came on.

Nothing really wrong with that as we were getting plenty of joy down the left through Firpo overlapping and Gonto does like to come in off his wing to be the extra striker which has worked really well in recent weeks.
PhoenixUnited
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by PhoenixUnited »

1964white wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:23 pm Going to be controversial here.

Can't do much without the ball which kept getting fed to the left wing mostly and which was working very well for us. He put a shift in though.
Keep The Faith MOT WAL
GreennWhite
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by GreennWhite »

Its good that we have Willy and Dan scoring goals and playing well but this very good run of form has been down to very solid team performances. That's exactly what's needed if your going to succeed. Players all doing a good solid job and then the talent that's in the team shines through to get the goals and secure the points. We haven't always been at our very best but the strength of the team overall has got us through the awkward moments in games.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Jammy 07 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:44 pm In an attacking sense our whole right side was virtually non existent until Dan James came on.

Nothing really wrong with that as we were getting plenty of joy down the left through Firpo overlapping and Gonto does like to come in off his wing to be the extra striker which has worked really well in recent weeks.
The change in our attacking approach was more about Cry going off. Anthony is a different type of player, so the overload on the left side is no longer employed. Firpo sits deeper and adopts a more traditional FB role.
Therefore the nature of our attacking play becomes more balanced.
When the left side isn’t working despite our main components being on the pitch you will often see Cry changing sides on occasion.
The change in approach when DJ came on is more to do with how the team set up after Cry went off.
AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Willy wearing the captain's arm band for Italy's U21s today :strong:

Played 86 mins. at striker and had 53/58 (91%) passing accuracy. 3 key passes 1 shot on target, 3 off, 3 blocked. He had 3 crosses, with 1 on target and 6 long balls, with 5 on target.

Source: https://twitter.com/LUFC/status/1771253362626851273
In Farke we trust...
AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

A feel good story and some love for Willy :love:

Source: https://twitter.com/LUFC/status/1772684 ... gr%5Etweet
In Farke we trust...
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Don't ever grow up Geo ....
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Interesting bit of news buried in an interview with Italian journalistic royalty Gianluca Di Marzio.

Italian agent Claudio Vigorelli confirmed he and Gnonto had parted ways.

"We regret Gnonto’s departure. There were different points of view. But regardless, we wish him the best. The path we have taken him on fills us with pride"
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Cjay wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:48 pm Interesting bit of news buried in an interview with Italian journalistic royalty Gianluca Di Marzio.

Italian agent Claudio Vigorelli confirmed he and Gnonto had parted ways.

"We regret Gnonto’s departure. There were different points of view. But regardless, we wish him the best. The path we have taken him on fills us with pride"
Good if it is true, and well done Willy for taking my advice haha

Vigo had one last tilt of getting Willy a move in the January window and I think that by then he had realsied that Willy had settled at Leeds.

Good news for us
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Irish Ian wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:26 pm Good if it is true, and well done Willy for taking my advice haha

Vigo had one last tilt of getting Willy a move in the January window and I think that by then he had realsied that Willy had settled at Leeds.

Good news for us
I have it on good authority that Jaydog lives his life by your Willy advice.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

weasel wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:54 pm I have it on good authority that Jaydog lives his life by your Willy advice.
Very wise, as my old grandad used to used to say.

" look after your Willy"
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Willy back to his best against Dirty Rovers.
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

1964white wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:38 pm Willy back to his best against Dirty Rovers.
The groans when he got taken off were very audible mate.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello