Joel Piroe

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Joel Piroe

Post by The Subhuman »

wilsdenwhite wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:06 am Funny that I was actually thinking of O'Leary myself earlier and his use of, or more importantly faith in his kids. I think people forget though Piroe is still only 24 though. To have 2 full seasons at Swansea and come away with 40 odd goals at this level was exactly the type of striker we needed this season. While Joseph may have some qualities Bamford and Piroe are missing, nobody can deny Piroe's knack of finding the net, it's proven, it was there for all to see, it is why we signed him and he has been wasted.

I believe joseph is finding himself in a similar position to what Joffy found himself in a couple of years ago. Are we wasting away goal scoring talent? It does feel that way sometimes.
I've been impressed with Joffy when he's played this season... but you forget he's available. Seems the natural Gnonto replacement
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

I said back in October, or sometime around then, that if we're relying on Bamfraud in the run in, we're screwed! And surprise, surprise. Farke has frozen out Piroe with ridiculous 5 min sub appearances and destroyed all his confidence. Then there's players like Gelhardt, who could offer something from the bench, who've been completely frozen out and lack any kind of match sharpness.
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

SG90 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:35 am I said back in October, or sometime around then, that if we're relying on Bamfraud in the run in, we're screwed! And surprise, surprise. Farke has frozen out Piroe with ridiculous 5 min sub appearances and destroyed all his confidence. Then there's players like Gelhardt, who could offer something from the bench, who've been completely frozen out and lack any kind of match sharpness.
This club just never learns from it's massive mistake through relying on Bamford season after season. It's a weird delusion that is shared by some fans.

- Straight after being signed he had a long term injury which kept him out for ages.
- During the promotion season Bamford went through one of his long goal droughts which resulted in the panic signing of JKA, and which ultimately cost the club £40m for a player being on the pitch for less than an hour with no goals or assists.
- In our last two seasons in the PL he scored a grand total of 6 goals with numerous injury issues.

He's basically had one good season out of 6 at the club - and most of those games when he was consistently scoring goals in the PL was in front of empty stands. In the promotion season he was consistently squandering chances and should have had more like 25 goals rather than just 16 in that season. As I mentioned, his goal drought that season was directly responsible for the calamitous JKA signing.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:04 am This club just never learns from it's massive mistake through relying on Bamford season after season. It's a weird delusion that is shared by some fans.

- Straight after being signed he had a long term injury which kept him out for ages.
- During the promotion season Bamford went through one of his long goal droughts which resulted in the panic signing of JKA, and which ultimately cost the club £40m for a player being on the pitch for less than an hour with no goals or assists.
- In our last two seasons in the PL he scored a grand total of 6 goals with numerous injury issues.

He's basically had one good season out of 6 at the club - and most of those games when he was consistently scoring goals in the PL was in front of empty stands. In the promotion season he was consistently squandering chances and should have had more like 25 goals rather than just 16 in that season. As I mentioned, his goal drought that season was directly responsible for the calamitous JKA signing.
Yep and still has 2 years left on huge wages, so we're screwed. :(
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

wilsdenwhite wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:41 am I think how we have used Joel this year has been criminal. He's gone from the hottest property in the Championship to this. Not only does he look like he has forgotten how to score but also what he actually is supposed to do. Almost as if his goal scoring brain is now stuck in pre-season mode really. What a waste but credit to him he seems the model professional throughout. While people were understandably clammering for Bamford to be dropped, did they expect Piroe to come in and find his touch immediately? It was wishful thinking after been benched for so long. Farke wasted his talent during the first half of the season and when he decided to drop Rutter back, he dropped Piroe.

I suppose it becomes all the more baffling as Farke knows the importance of a proven Championship striker like Piroe because he had one at Norwich in Pukki. While I'd love Piroe to still be able to have a say on where we finish this season I think it might be too late now. Rutter has been poor of late so I'd just go with both Joseph and Piroe to start the next three games and see how it pans out. We have nothing to lose doing that in my opinion and everything to lose going with the likes of Rutter and Bamford.

Farke has built up plenty of credit this year but his use of Piroe leaves alot to be desired. Had he persisted with him upfront after dropping Rutter back, I reckon we'd be promoted already. It's been Farke's biggest mistake if you ask me, he just seems a tad slow to react to things that aren't working.
applause-leonardo-dicaprio.gif
applause-leonardo-dicaprio.gif (176.38 KiB) Viewed 297 times
Piroe has proven his class, you aren't the top open play goalscorer on limited chances for bog standard Championship teams over 2 seasons if you aren't elite at this level.

The narrative he can't do the stuff Bamford does is false as he's shown he can.

He's been shifted around all season and had his confidence ruined.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

wilsdenwhite wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:17 am Primarily he is a striker. Nobody scores 41 goals over 2 seasons coming from deep, playing as an 8 or playing as a 10. Only a player in the right place at the right time can do that and that is where Piroe's strength lies. Most of his goals for us ealier in the season were a result of him finding himself and finding space in the opposition box. With how we have used him this season, he's nowhere near that area in the first place, or at least not as often as he should be.
Are you forgetting the guy that scored against us yesterday? Szmodics

I honestly think Piroe played better yesterday after he dropped back into midfield. But that could have had something to do with the state of the game.
Last edited by andrewjohnsmith on Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

The Subhuman wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:30 am I've been impressed with Joffy when he's played this season... but you forget he's available. Seems the natural Gnonto replacement
Terrible shame that we've been wasting away his career the past 3 years. We really should have let him go on loan and brought in someone else.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Piroe was almost non-existent against a dogged Rovers defence.

A couple of neat passes & runs doesn't mean he had a good game.

There were more negatives to his game than his very few positive moments.

How often was a supposedly No.9 in the opposition box?
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:23 pm Piroe was almost non-existent against a dogged Rovers defence.

A couple of neat passes & runs doesn't mean he had a good game.

There were more negatives to his game than his very few positive moments.

How often was a supposedly No.9 in the opposition box?
Often.

As I said further up we make a lot of runs that are very intelligent and good positions but they are ignored for the safe option.

I rewatched the game specifically for this reason

It's a common theme.

Piroe took up a lot of intelligent positions, so did Jimmy, Rutter and Gnonto.

But our passing style is so negative it gets ignored.

We only get a move on when desperate and DF has chucked everyone on.

The heatmaps for Paddy and Piroe were identical pretty much.

Also "a couple of neat runs and passes" has had people declaring Bamford the 2nd coming of Pele at times on here :lol:
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

This guy wants stuff on a plate for him to score, he likes others to do the hardwork for him, lazy and not prepared to put the hard yards in required of a modern day striker, and slow off the mark to boot.

Definitely not your go to guy for the lone striker role, and might, only might, look ok in a 4-3-3, but boy would the others have to work for him. Reading of the game leaves a lot to be desired.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:42 pm Often.

As I said further up we make a lot of runs that are very intelligent and good positions but they are ignored for the safe option.

I rewatched the game specifically for this reason

It's a common theme.

Piroe took up a lot of intelligent positions, so did Jimmy, Rutter and Gnonto.

But our passing style is so negative it gets ignored.

We only get a move on when desperate and DF has chucked everyone on.

The heatmaps for Paddy and Piroe were identical pretty much.

Also "a couple of neat runs and passes" has had people declaring Bamford the 2nd coming of Pele at times on here :lol:
Bamford was actually worse when he came on.

We desperately need to sign a experienced No.9 in the summer.