QPR v Leeds Utd - Post Match Discussion

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Re: QPR v Leeds Utd - Post Match Discussion

Post by WhiteRose »

Jaydog wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:40 am This is a common misconception tbh.
It isn’t a prediction as such merely taking the facts and turning them in to odds.
Personally last night I would’ve happily laid Leeds at short prices. Plenty of factors against them winning.
This is the main aim of the bookie. Getting the money in the satchel.
No one knows the teams better than the fans, my success at betting went up markedly when I stopped following the odds and instead spending a couple hours a week perusing fans forums . I also started betting on Leeds games, some can’t bear to do it but we know the team so well and why not try to make a couple of quid.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Scoobychief wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:30 am What happened to you? Did the pe ny drop finally. This team is only capable of playing in the championship take away 1/2the team like gnonto,summerville,rutter,gray,and a couple more then you're looking at only fir for league 1
You have to bear in mind, we started the season with no ownership with the knock on effect of having minimum transfer activity. We also players going on strike.

Our new signings had no pre-season at Thorp Arch. We did well to sign Ampadu, Rodon, Byram, Kamara, Gruev & Piroe in the short period available to us.

Maybe, we should have done more in the January window, all hindsight now.

We have massive holes to fill, that is there for all to see, hopefully we'll get it right with more time to work with this summer.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

It suits sky, adidas etc for us to be in the Championship, as we're their cash cows and they make a mint off us, while we're paid fook all in return.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

WhiteRose wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:49 am No one knows the teams better than the fans, my success at betting went up markedly when I stopped following the odds and instead spending a couple hours a week perusing fans forums . I also started betting on Leeds games, some can’t bear to do it but we know the team so well and why not try to make a couple of quid.
Whatever works for you Rosie 👍🏼
“Not following the odds” is a good point.
I frame my own odds on the top 20 or 30 in a golf tournament before looking at the bookies. Helps me understand whether there’s any value. Beating the odds or if you prefer getting a bigger price than you should is the holy grail.
Would’ve laid us until the cows come home last night.
4/7 was a joke price. Terrible record generally in London plus Bamford being out and the inevitable misuse of Piroe.
Last edited by Jaydog on Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Broad Ford
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Broad Ford »

Jaydog wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:40 am This is a common misconception tbh.
It isn’t a prediction as such merely taking the facts and turning them in to odds.
Personally last night I would’ve happily laid Leeds at short prices. Plenty of factors against them winning.
This is the main aim of the bookie. Getting the money in the satchel.
I staked a 0-0 and noticed very good odds on a QPR correct score. 4-0 would've been around 30/1. The starting odds before matches begin are based on position, but then change mid game to balance the book to make a profit.

It's the playoffs for Leeds and I'll be staking the opposition.
If you don't know where you are going, every road will get you nowhere.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Hopefully, this is a watershed moment for the team. There are not many who played last night that have suffered a sobering punch in the face , which represents the stark reality of getting played off the park wearing our shirt. Firpo has and for me he was the only player who outwardly displayed a sense of determination and fight. We are a young team and as harsh as that lesson was last night for many, they will be better for the experience. How quickly they learn from that will be the key to how this season plays out.
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

Sean_Nile wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:08 am When I looked at bet365 for Leeds to beat QPR the odds were 4/7.

How could the Bookies get it so wrong... Funny old game football is, at least we didn't let 5 past us like Southampton did.

What are the odds now that Ipswich tank and we get promoted in second place.

We came dream.
Around 5/2.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
Sean_Nile
First Team
First Team

Post by Sean_Nile »

SG90 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:46 am Would that be a bad thing? We could pay off the debts and money owned on players and be able to sell the loan rats. None of that is happening staying in the Championship. In fact, our financial position would only get worse.
If you see the jockey P. Townsend and the trainee W. Mullens what is the betting that the horse they are putting in the race is the favourite to win?

And what is the probability that it will win. Bookies don't want to loose money so they offer low odds to limit their losses. At least that is the logic I see behind betting prices.

Low odds 1/1 more likely the winner, high odds 50/1 less likely to win.

How else can you interpret it?
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Sean_Nile wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:13 pm If you see the jockey P. Townsend and the trainee W. Mullens what is the betting that the horse they are putting in the race is the favourite to win?

And what is the probability that it will win. Bookies don't want to loose money so they offer low odds to limit their losses. At least that is the logic I see behind betting prices.

Low odds 1/1 more likely the winner, high odds 50/1 less likely to win.

How else can you interpret it?
I think this is to me 😁
Essentially what you say is pretty much correct.
However it isn’t a PREDICTION.
They haven’t got it wrong if it fails to win.
What the bookies really want is a massively over round book where any result wins them money.
Back in the old days proper bookies like William Hill would back their judgment and lay a horse heavily if they didn’t fancy it. Nowadays everyone uses Betfair.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

1964white wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:55 am You have to bear in mind, we started the season with no ownership with the knock on effect of having minimum transfer activity. We also players going on strike.

Our new signings had no pre-season at Thorp Arch. We did well to sign Ampadu, Rodon, Byram, Kamara, Gruev & Piroe in the short period available to us.

We have massive holes to fill, that is there for all to see, hopefully we'll get it right with more time to work with this summer.
Can't blame the start of the season now. It comes down to two things:

The players completely blew it when the pressure ramped up. It's alright winning in January and February when there's no pressure, but April would show what they're made of. Leicester handed it to them on a plate, and they completely threw it away.

Farke made no attempt to try out other players and tactics at any point this season, and just expected the same players to continue on all season. Now we have a small group of players who have overplayed and are jaded, and another group with no match sharpness.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:59 am 90 points from 45 games & we're all sad.
8 games ago we were the best team in the league and in great form. We created the expectation and we should have done better from the position we were in. Especially as we dropped points to teams struggling and playing poorly. Mistakes were made by Farke and co, and a fairly large number of them

I'm still hopeful, we have a chance still at auto, Ipswich may find the pressure tough too and then there's the playoffs against good but beatable teams..

We're headed for the prem till it's no longer possible. I always think we can win the next game, I always expect to win the next game
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Scoobychief
Manager
Manager

Post by Scoobychief »

1964white wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:55 am You have to bear in mind, we started the season with no ownership with the knock on effect of having minimum transfer activity. We also players going on strike.

We may as well have no ownership they've been as quiet a s a church mousse. I doubt they will spring into life especially if we fail to go up.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Qpr2024 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:32 am Any idea why you barely used you 29 last night? He had the run on our LB and LCB and your boys barely used him. He could have single handedly won you that game because there were huge issues to exploit and he just wasn't given the ball enough
Because our manager for reasons best know to himself chooses to basically play only down one side of the pitch.

He effectively completely ignores the gaping space down the right.

Tactically it's not a million miles away from our old coach who got absolutely ridiculed.

Our attacks are narrow, predictable and focused down one side.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Just another point on Archie and the criticism.

The kid must be absolutely exhausted and his head must be spinning.

Defensive midfield and right back (neither his best position).

But kids need managing, you won't find another 17 year old (18 now) whose played nearly 50 games in a season

He's been really badly managed this season.
Signed

King Cjay

1964white

Post by 1964white »

DDB220 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:40 am Football fans to varying degrees always place players on a pedestal when their team is doing well and consign them to the rubbish tip when the team isn’t.

This is the nature of the game - hero to zero for all participants, players, managers and owners dependent largely upon success or meeting fans expectations. Team sport is a pressurised gold fish bowl. We have the luxury or misfortune to just spectate.

I am pretty much over the disappointment of last night - no point dwelling on something you have no control over. It will be an entirely different matter for the players and manager. How they respond is now the most significant issue at hand for me.
I was over the disappointment of the defeat at 2-0 :lol: unfortunately we never looked like getting back into the game. Tired legs & injuries have caught up with us in the end.
Notwell
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Notwell »

SG90 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:13 pm We should've just kept Rapha and got a tiny points deduction. Will take us a long time to return now, whilst Everton will be miles ahead of us.
We can't gamble on this stuff. Not back then and not in the future. History shows that a ton of bricks is the result. Always used to make an example.
Johnthewhite
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Johnthewhite »

WhiteRose wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:08 am What we learned after last night is Piroe can’t play in this team as a lone striker, that’s now a verifiable fact, was clear after Blackburn and earlier spells of the season but after last night surely Farke can see that. Secondly, Gruev can’t hold midfield on his own he needs Kamara with him, as good as grey might prove to be in the future, for the moment he just goes missing.

we need to reset and go back to the lineup that got us within autos, we still have the best squad in the playoffs with the most dangerous players and we can win it.
This 👍
1964white

Post by 1964white »

SG90 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:21 pm Can't blame the start of the season now. It comes down to two things:

The players completely blew it when the pressure ramped up. It's alright winning in January and February when there's no pressure, but April would show what they're made of. Leicester handed it to them on a plate, and they completely threw it away.

Farke made no attempt to try out other players and tactics at any point this season, and just expected the same players to continue on all season. Now we have a small group of players who have overplayed and are jaded, and another group with no match sharpness.
The small group of players relates to the short-time we had to build a strong enough squad. last summer.

Imo, the international break killed us, much of our squad didn't have the luxury of a rest, some returned with knocks & injuries, others came back looking jaded.

After the Boro' game on Monday night, tired legs obviously kicked in & affected our performance.

Perhaps, Farke doesn't trust our subs/fringe players, I certainly don't.
pandagirl
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by pandagirl »

It was coming, unfortunatly
Even before we had the losing/ drawing patch we had several games where we got by very luckily and were scraping by literally.

Now its come back to haunt us, cant hit a barn door in bamford, and let teams take their chances.

I always said i was dreading the playoffs even when we were doing well.

But now, if this carriers on, we might not even get the play offs

Such a shame, somethings going wrong. Locker room/ mentality/ tactics?

Either way the blueprint has been completly figured out.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:21 pm The small group of players relates to the short-time we had to build a strong enough squad. last summer.

Imo, the international break killed us, much of our squad didn't have the luxury of a rest, some returned with knocks & injuries, others came back looking jaded.

After the Boro' game on Monday night, tired legs obviously kicked in & affected our performance.

Perhaps, Farke doesn't trust our subs/fringe players, I certainly don't.
This excuse needs to stop, it's giving Farke an excuse he doesn't deserve.

For this level this squad is deep and quality filled.

Greenwood and Ayling who he didn't even want play for the side in 10th in this league.

Cresswell and Gelhardt were wanted by various Championship clubs including Sunderland and Boro.

Cody Drameh and Poveda are regulars for teams in this league.

The players Farke doesn't even use would get starts for a lot of this league.

Cooper was wanted by Blackburn and Stoke in January.

Jaidon Anthony was a starting winger for promotion winning Bournemouth a few years ago and a regular last season for Premier league Bournemouth last season.

Criticising the squad is absolutely ludicrous, for this level whether we as fans rate them or not it's top level.

Championship teams don't normally have last seasons team of the year right back on the bench as we have.

We literally have the top scorer in this league over the last 2 seasons and many of our fans want him benched (you think that's a normal luxury at this level).

This Is as deep a squad as you could ask for at this level and we need to stop this narrative that it's in somehow an issue because it gives Farke an out he doesn't deserve.

He's managed it appallingly incidentally.

Gray, Rodon, Ampadu, Rutter, Summerville must be absolutely knackered.
Signed

King Cjay