QPR v Leeds Utd - Post Match Discussion

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Sean_Nile
First Team
First Team

Re: QPR v Leeds Utd - Post Match Discussion

Post by Sean_Nile »

Southampton just lost 1-0 to Stoke.
Was it deliberate, resting players for the playoffs.
What sort of team will they field against us?

None of the top six teams besides Lester are getting results
One can only hope this holds true for Ipswich tonight.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

It's wrong to say Piroe is afraid of the box, he's not allowed to get in it, as he's forced to play deep. Why would a player who's scored as much as he has not want to score? 🤔

Same with Kamara passing backwards. Gray has come in and just done exactly the same.

They're being coached to do this, and if they don't, they'll be dropped and frozen out.
JoeDenver
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by JoeDenver »

SG90 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:21 pm Can't blame the start of the season now. It comes down to two things:

The players completely blew it when the pressure ramped up. It's alright winning in January and February when there's no pressure, but April would show what they're made of. Leicester handed it to them on a plate, and they completely threw it away.

Farke made no attempt to try out other players and tactics at any point this season, and just expected the same players to continue on all season. Now we have a small group of players who have overplayed and are jaded, and another group with no match sharpness.
THIS. Well said SG. Felt there was a fork in the road a couple weeks ago (after Sunderland) where there was an opportunity to start working in more players/experimenting with the lineup as form was clearly dipping. Obviously chose the other route of doing nothing differently and hoping for the best. That plan was always going to backfire as there wasn’t any gas left in the tank. He made a gamble that didn’t pay off.

Thankfully, we have 8 days rest, but I’m not really sure that’s enough time to recover form, fitness, and confidence…as all appear to have been lost at this point.
Fly Fishing, Skiing, and The Damned United
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

SG90 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:09 pm It's wrong to say Piroe is afraid of the box, he's not allowed to get in it, as he's forced to play deep. Why would a player who's scored as much as he has not want to score? 🤔

Same with Kamara passing backwards. Gray has come in and just done exactly the same.

They're being coached to do this, and if they don't, they'll be dropped and frozen out.
Everything they do is coached, we've only had what was it 11 shots from cm this season few weeks back? That isn't an accident.

Piroe whose scored tons of goals for lower teams is now afraid of the box? Can't be a striker? Maybe he gets bored to death of the slow build up and comes deep to try and get involved :duno:

We've even had a QPR fan on here baffled as to why we basically ignored the right hand side of the pitch when that was where the space was.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

SG90 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:55 pm the

I think it's to toe the "Farke is unquestionable" line, you have to tell yourself they're not good enough.

If AC Milan want CC, that says it all for me. Still makes the England u21 squad too despite being frozen out.

Games where sides parked the bus at ER like Sunderland and Blackburn, CC's threat in the box from corners could've made a huge difference.
They may or may not be top level Championship players.

But if you have a squad whereby you are able to basically ignore players wanted by others teams in this league then you must have a brilliant squad in your own opinion?

So can't really blame the squad.

Unless you expect 25 top 2 level Championship players which never happens.
Signed

King Cjay

SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Cjay wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:23 pm They may or may not be top level Championship players.

But if you have a squad whereby you are able to basically ignore players wanted by others teams in this league then you must have a brilliant squad in your own opinion?

So can't really blame the squad.

Unless you expect 25 top 2 level Championship players which never happens.
I think some on here think we need to have Man City 's squad to have a chance lol.

Gnonto, Summerville, Piroe, Rodon, Ampadu, Gruev, Kamara, Struijk, Rutter, Firpo, Gray, James, Anthony, Bamfraud Cresswell, Gelhardt, Roberts are all top players at this level.

The fanboys will try and paint it like our squad is on a par with Rotherham or something.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Cjay wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:49 pmtenor.gif
:) Keep flying the flag for realism Cjay, you're doing a great job of it :tup:

I'm still waiting for the apologists to conjure up some excuses for last night's s**t show :lol:
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

SG90 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:41 pm I think some on here think we need to have Man City 's squad to have a chance lol.

Gnonto, Summerville, Piroe, Rodon, Ampadu, Gruev, Kamara, Struijk, Rutter, Firpo, Gray, James, Anthony, Bamfraud Cresswell, Gelhardt, Roberts are all top players at this level.

The fanboys will try and paint it like our squad is on a par with Rotherham or something.
Even Rotherham would have beat us last night :)
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Usually there's one team with momentum in the playoffs, but everyone is just limping into them.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

I know it sounds daft after conceding 4 goals but, our two CBs Rodon/Ampadu & young Archie were the only three players to come out of that game with any credit.

1st goal Gruev making no challenge.

2nd goal A mix of Firpo/Summerville & particularly Gruev allowing Anderson to score unchallenged.

3rd goal Joseph or Rutter beaten at the near post.

4th goal Ampadu lost Field at the set-piece, shame as Amps played well.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

SG90 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:51 pm Usually there's one team with momentum in the playoffs, but everyone is just limping into them.
The only way that could change is Hull storming through on the rails
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

As bad as it was last night, I still think we have a slim chance of automatic promotion :)

I fully expect Hull to beat Ipswich tonight.

Assuming we beat Southampton and Ipswich beat Huddersfield in their last match, then the key match is Coventry v Ipswich.

Unfortunately Coventry cannot make the playoffs, and are probably on a real downer after the Scum Cup loss.

But the glimmer of hope is that Ipswich lose tonight and they will go to Coventry under incredible pressure.

Coventry might just sneak a draw and then we go up on goal difference :)

I actually think there is more chance of us getting promoted via this route than the play offs, as I don't see us doing anything in them.

It's really down to how Ipswich handle the pressure and if they seize the same opportunities that we have continually spurned.
Last edited by White Riot on Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

JoeDenver wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:12 pm THIS. Well said SG. Felt there was a fork in the road a couple weeks ago (after Sunderland) where there was an opportunity to start working in more players/experimenting with the lineup as form was clearly dipping. Obviously chose the other route of doing nothing differently and hoping for the best. That plan was always going to backfire as there wasn’t any gas left in the tank. He made a gamble that didn’t pay off.

Thankfully, we have 8 days rest, but I’m not really sure that’s enough time to recover form, fitness, and confidence…as all appear to have been lost at this point.
You could even go back to the first half of the season Joe, when we had woeful performances against Stoke, Sunderland, Preston, Rotherham, Wendies and West Brom. We had 6 defeats by the New Year. There were plenty of opportunities for Farke to try and change tactics or personnel, but nothing was done. Sunderland at home would've only been too late to turn it around.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

SG90 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:41 pm I think some on here think we need to have Man City 's squad to have a chance lol.

This

It's not perfect.

But for Championship level it's ridiculous
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

White Riot wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:48 pm :) Keep flying the flag for realism Cjay, you're doing a great job of it :tup:

I'm still waiting for the apologists to conjure up some excuses for last night's s**t show :lol:
It's a shame really.

All Leeds fans end of the day.

Would have been great to get to the end of the season promoted and said "yep was wrong, DF was much better than feared and has clearly learned well from past mistakes".

But even if promoted that won't be the case

Seen enough of DF to know why his top level record is so absolutely awful.

We'd have to spend an absolute fortune.
Last edited by Cjay on Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signed

King Cjay

Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

I went to bed after the first half due to getting up at 4am for work. I was pist at 2-0 but went of to bed dreaming of a resounding comeback when i checked my phone in the early hours. It turned into a nightmare by the sounds of it.

We couldn't win a tiddlywinks contest at the moment. The lads confidence is shot and i personally give us a low percentage in the Playoffs in the likely chance we will be in them. That International break really knocked our rhythm, ok we wasn't at our best going into them but we looked solid enough and confidence was sky high.

Its been stated by many on here but what as really shone thru of late is how much we rely on individuals. If Rutter is not firing on the creative front then he becomes a liability due to how many times he loses the ball and we seriously lack his assists. Jimmy goals have been excellent and willy & James early form were great, beyond that and with the defence looking poor again we have looked pretty ordinary everywhere else and especially in midfield.

I don't follow these things closely but i am sure a possible 93 points would get you promotion in just about every Championship season on record.... it just happens that Ipswich haven't folded like i thought they would and tbf to them they have been a revelation this season. That's why i find it difficult to point the finger at Farke overall. Even the mighty Klopp is falling at the last hurdle. I think this young side has just hit the wall at a very bad time. We can't be sure how much the Wales lads missing out on qualification as taken out of them and effected overall moral. Who knows what's gone on.

The only team and performance i watched this season that i thought was PL ready was Leicester at Elland road. They looked a solid enough outfit to give them a chance but they will have to adapt tactically because they will come unstuck in the PL.

Top and bottom of it for me. With our deficiencies of late was we really ready for PL football again? The defence and midfield would need a complete rebuild just for starters and strikers don't come cheap and we could do with Two.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

White Riot wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:02 pm As bad as it was last night, I still think we have a slim chance of automatic promotion :)

I fully expect Hull to beat Ipswich tonight.

Assuming we beat Southampton and Ipswich beat Huddersfield in their last match, then the key match is Coventry v Ipswich.

Unfortunately Coventry cannot make the playoffs, and are probably on a real downer after the Scum Cup loss.

But the glimmer of hope is that Ipswich lose tonight and they will go to Coventry under incredible pressure.

Coventry might just sneak a draw and then we go up on goal difference :)

I actually think there is more chance of us getting promoted via this route than the play offs, as I don't see us doing anything in them.

It's really down to how Ipswich handle the pressure and if they seize the same opportunities that we have continually spurned.
Still want us promoted for our own reasons but the football fan in me thinks "sod it Ipswich have been brilliant and deserve it".

I don't think we win the playoffs if that is what it is.

Said months ago whoever from us, Leicester or Ipswich ended in them wouldn't win.

Stand by that.

Mentally I think it would be too much.
Signed

King Cjay

White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Cjay wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:15 pm It's a shame really.

All Leeds fans end of the day.

Would have been great to get to the end of the season promoted and said "yep was wrong, DF was much better than feared and has clearly learned well from past mistakes".

But even if promoted that won't be the case
That's true. I was absolutely gutted when we lost at home to Blackburn as that was the final straw for me. The only thing left after that was hope, and that's been ruthlessly trampled upon.

I actually like Farke as a person, and desperately wanted him to succeed despite his failings, same as Bielsa. But once you open your eyes and accept what's really occurring then things are already done and it's time to move on.

I still cling onto the glimmer of hope that Ipswich can still screw it up. But the benefit of that would just be to ease our financial situation, as forget us at EPL level. I already have very serious doubts about Farke at this level now, cos as you say nothing appears to have been learned form the past.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Cjay wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:17 pm Still want us promoted for our own reasons but the football fan in me thinks "sod it Ipswich have been brilliant and deserve it".

I don't think we win the playoffs if that is what it is.

Said months ago whoever from us, Leicester or Ipswich ended in them wouldn't win.

Stand by that.

Mentally I think it would be too much.
If Ipswich end up in the playoffs they are the only one who I would fancy.

But even then, they would likely travel to Norwich and they just got well beaten there a couple of weeks ago, when they were needing a result.

I fancy Norwich in the play offs. Would be ironic if they knocked us out and that's looking quite likely at the moment.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ilias Chair provided two perfect set-pieces for headed goals & he also scored with a shot from outside the box, something unfamiliar in our style of play all season.

Our front four wasteful & poor!

Apparently the hoops had only scored 23 goals in their 22 matches at Loftus Road this season.