Southampton post match discussion

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
JoeDenver
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Southampton post match discussion

Post by JoeDenver »

White Riot wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 2:09 pm On current form we'll get lost on the way to Norwich :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Fly Fishing, Skiing, and The Damned United
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Cjay wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 2:11 pm Where's my long message.

Don't be lazy type it out again :)
Good post too ... spell checked and edited twice and then aded too. Posted it 6 minutes after the 10 minute warning.

TBH I really hate this closing of threads thing for no good reason
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Post by Finnatic »

The Subhuman wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 1:37 pm Oh for f**k sake, just wrote out a long post in reply to CJay only for the f**king thread to be locked ..Can we stop doing that please ...
Absolutely.
Pre match chat, fine but post match is still about something that has happened and should be a continuation of the match thread.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Finnatic wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 2:18 pm Absolutely.
Pre match chat, fine but post match is still about something that has happened and should be a continuation of the match thread.
Don't understand why it isn't.... but thanks
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Broad Ford
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Broad Ford »

The difference between the 2 sides was Southamptons slick passing and fast movement out of defence.

Leeds were good at the beginning using Gnonto down that right side, but after equalizing it then looked like Southampton weren't finished.

Leeds then ran out of ideas making subs that also had no further ideas themselves. The best idea would have been to shoot on sight.

I staked a Cha-ching! on Leeds unable to find a way past Southampton early second half as the saints sat back defending their lead.

With three mahoosive games to come I'm confident we'll see the beginnings of a different Leeds arriving in Norfolk.
If you don't know where you are going, every road will get you nowhere.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Broad Ford wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 2:22 pm The difference between the 2 sides was Southamptons slick passing and fast movement out of defence.

Leeds were good at the beginning using Gnonto down that right side, but after equalizing it then looked like Southampton weren't finished.

Leeds then ran out of ideas making subs that also had no further ideas themselves. The best idea would have been to shoot on sight.

I staked a Cha-ching! on Leeds unable to find a way past Southampton early second half as the saints sat back defending their lead.

With three mahoosive games to come I'm confident we'll see the beginnings of a different Leeds arriving in Norfolk.
What’s a Cha-ching?
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Broad Ford wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 2:22 pm The difference between the 2 sides was Southamptons slick passing and fast movement out of defence.

Irony about this is Martin gets pelters off Southampton fans for his perceived slow build up.

They looked levels above us in terms of slickness and speed and coaching patterns.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Broad Ford
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Broad Ford »

Jaydog wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 2:24 pm What’s a Cha-ching?
The sound a cash register makes.
I told you I'd be staking against Leeds in the playoffs, just thought I'd start a bit early. 😂
If you don't know where you are going, every road will get you nowhere.
Johnsie123
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Johnsie123 »

Part of the problem stems back to the game after the international break Farke played to many players who had a bad experience and played way to much football and lost or picked up knocks,on top of that that the players went into bad form ie Meslier is a mistake same happened last Yr the back 5 do not work together kamara is not a championship player and there players who are saying if I don't go up with Leeds there are other teams I can go to that is summerville,Gnonto,Rodon will be out they will get moves elsewhere,and Meslier,Fripo,Kamara,Bamford have got to go .I know I will get slagged off for it but Farke should use Joseph Krisstenson,grey,Geldhart,Anthony cos ultimately do we want to go up with this team and get battered by the teams in the Premier league .
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Cjay wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 2:27 pm Irony about this is Martin gets pelters off Southampton fans for his perceived slow build up.

They looked levels above us in terms of slickness and speed and coaching patterns.
We pressed really high, it gets easy to play through at that point. Manure do the same thing and get caught. Rodon got turned so easily today and I'd assume it's not the players going out and deciding to press high
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Farke's here - not what you wanted?
Yes. Difficult at this stage with results dropping in. Players on the pitch know even if we win there is no outcome. This was not our normal standards. We chose a risky approach because there was no other option. We pressed man vs man against one of the best counter-attacking sides in the league. Would not always approach this team like this.

We wanted to go for a wild style to maybe put some pressure on Portman Road. The whole game the opponent was in the lead because we gave the goals away cheaply. They tried everything to press high and play high risk in the second half,. Although we allowed them space we kept a clean sheet in the second half. Would have liked an equaliser or winner for the confidence.

Drawing or being rock solid today was no option.

Concerns into the play-offs?
Generally, this season is over. Congratulations to Ipswich and Leicester. They deserve this. We are the third-best team in this league. Draw a line under this season and we go into a new competition. Had a few problems over the last few weeks. Hoping to have key players available for the three finals we want. Beneficial for Roberts today, after ne session, to get 15 minutes.

Need Bamford and James back. We hope for them. Need this week to work on the training pitch. Young players have lost their momentum and confidence. Important to have time to prepare to give them good moments to find their rhythm.

Summerville and Firpo
Overall, I hope first assessment of Cree was not too bad. When you see a foul against Piroe, this scene, I'm happy it's not a broken ankle for Summerville. Nasty and dirty foul against him. Hope he is okay. Junior cannot hide how the game developed. Fantastic in the last weeks with his performances and assists, he knows he played a big part in the second goal. Emotional player, always self-critical. Have to leave him alone to speak about it tomorrow.

How are you?
Tired because this week was not easy to lift the players up. To convince them to play man vs man was exhausting week. Tomorrow training and analysis for those who did not have much load. Day of recovery. Refill the tank before winning the best possible prize.

Rutter - why is he struggling?
Your observation is right. Important to give him the sign he should not be too angry or disappointed because who should be blamed for this. Outstanding this season. Team of the Season. Creativity and one of our key parts. Fate that injury and surgery was there. Wanted to come back ASAP. Forced into the games and he is an emotional player. Confidence player who feels it. Quite normal his first games were not his best with no training and this hurt his confidence. You cannot be blamed for this. It's coming back.

First full season here. Difficult to adapt to this situation. Gave him the chance to find his rhythm. Good on the training field. Have to work with him because we need him back to his best, but sadly he needed the surgery

Feel like you've thrown it away?
No. It felt, with a better run-in, it would be possible, but we are not in the top two was the first two months. Put us under so much pressure and if you are 17 points back then it's difficult to come back. Showed big consistency. All the big teams have poor spells, but for us it was 25 or 30 games in a consistent outcome and our worst spell was the run-in after the break, but we have to accept this.

We are a young side, more nervous and the problems we had after the last break with the injuries, surgeries and loss of confidence is understandable. The players did not waste it by not investing enough, but the issue was the beginning not the ending of this season. (Can't keep blaming 7,8 months ago for the entire season it's ridiculous)

Norwich?
Bit special. My first return back to Carrow Road was emotional, but the second game was business as normal. Always grateful to this club for memories, but it is nice to met some kind people over there, but my focus is on the third-best team in the league and we need to reward ourselves with the biggest prize. Not much time to be emotional or say hello to some people, more like a normal game. They had a good run-in, not today, but a good spell and a tight match because they do have experienced players.

This club needs all my effort.

Play-offs record is poor - message to fans?
I never lost a game in the play-offs because I never played in them. It doesn't matter.

Different groups and I was not in charge in previous play-off runs. I expected a difficult season and to speak about being allowed in the play-offs, I would not have said it's the worst outcome. Last few weeks do not feel like this, but excitement can grow.

Different people involved. We want to achieve something special.
Last edited by Cjay on Sat May 04, 2024 2:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Signed

King Cjay

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I could never bet against Leeds
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Jaydog wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 2:24 pm What’s a Cha-ching?
Ah right. I thought it was slang for £20 or something
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

The Subhuman wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 2:31 pm We pressed really high, it gets easy to play through at that point. Manure do the same thing and get caught. Rodon got turned so easily today and I'd assume it's not the players going out and deciding to press high
DF came here with a reputation for being a manager whose teams can't defend.

We've looked much more like that in the run in.

He needs to fix it somehow.

Meslier isn't going to perform miracles like Krul did
Signed

King Cjay

Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Post by Finnatic »

Regarding your last paragraph, I hope DF and the squad have been trying lots of different approaches in training and are saving it for the play-offs with the opposition foolishly expecting the same as previously - “low block, double up on Summerville, foul Rutter and get them on the break”

Let’s hope so anyway .
Scoobychief
Manager
Manager

Post by Scoobychief »

It will be epic failure in the playoffs and bargain basement sales when transfer window open. Absolute shite
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Cjay wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 2:37 pm DF came here with a reputation for being a manager whose teams can't defend.

We've looked much more like that in the run in.

He needs to fix it somehow.

Meslier isn't going to perform miracles like Krul did
Good game for Mes today.. hope he keeps that up for the PO's
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

How come now it isn't just the summer that was to blame? Now it's September as well?

Is he allowed to blame a difficult September as well? Thats pushing it a bit.

Probably noticed that if the season started September 1st we still aren't top 2.

Gorra extend that difficult summer into September . . . .
Signed

King Cjay

White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

I see we've been given the earlier kick off next Sunday 12:00 at Norwich.

Second leg at ER 20:00 on the following Thursday.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Scoobychief wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 2:40 pm It will be epic failure in the playoffs and bargain basement sales when transfer window open. Absolute shite
Will we ever get shot of Bamford though? :)