Southampton post match discussion

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
JoeDenver
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Southampton post match discussion

Post by JoeDenver »

Finnatic wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 2:38 pm Regarding your last paragraph, I hope DF and the squad have been trying lots of different approaches in training and are saving it for the play-offs with the opposition foolishly expecting the same as previously - “low block, double up on Summerville, foul Rutter and get them on the break”

Let’s hope so anyway .
Finn, I REALLY love your optimism. But deep down, you know the chance of that occurring is slim to none. It’s going to be the same way we’ve been doing it no matter what.
Fly Fishing, Skiing, and The Damned United
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Cjay wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 2:42 pm How come now it isn't just the summer that was to blame? Now it's September as well?

Is he allowed to blame a difficult September as well? Thats pushing it a bit.

Probably noticed that if the season started September 1st we still aren't top 2.

Gorra extend that difficult summer into September . . . .
First 5 were impacted by the summer of discontent... after that we were comfortably top of the form table till recently

Thing is this is a weakish Championship, 4 good sides a couple of OK sides and a lot of rubbish we dropped points to. Norwich don't really have anything to worry us in terms of quality, it'll come down to the best manager
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Post by Finnatic »

White Riot wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 2:45 pm I see we've been given the earlier kick off next Sunday 12:00 at Norwich.

Second leg at ER 20:00 on the following Thursday.
Of course
Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Post by Finnatic »

JoeDenver wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 2:47 pm Finn, I REALLY love your optimism. But deep down, you know the chance of that occurring is slim to none. It’s going to be the same way we’ve been doing it no matter what.
It’s not optimism, Joe, it’s desperation 🤣
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

a 9 day break and now an 8 day break. Hopefully that will help us reset. Farke has a lot of work to do
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

The Subhuman wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 2:47 pm First 5 were impacted by the summer of discontent... after that we were comfortably top of the form table till recently

Thing is this is a weakish Championship, 4 good sides a couple of OK sides and a lot of rubbish we dropped points to. Norwich don't really have anything to worry us in terms of quality, it'll come down to the best manager
For a long time he was allowed to write off the August fixtures.

Now without them we aren't top 2 anyway.

So now it's a difficult 2 months?

He's even tried to say the reason we aren't top 2 is because of September and August not this current run.

Deflecting from his own failings and talking drivel (hadn't seen Phils posts till now)

Anyway it's done now.

He needs to fix this and quick and show he's learned something from previous struggles

Our record vs our playoff rivals is bad and he's looked clueless for 8,9 games now.
Last edited by Cjay on Sat May 04, 2024 2:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Morpheus
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Morpheus »

White Riot wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 1:45 pm I dunno what your age is Morpheus?

But I've neem supporting Leeds since 1967 and disappointment is part of being a Leeds supporter.

As soon as I saw their heads go down at Coventry I knew things were done this season, so I wasn't taking too much notice of today.

We've had opportunities and blew every one of them.

It is what it is mate, pointless spoiling weekend getting upset as these guys don't deserve it.

Unfortunately there will be a few more humiliations to come before our season is over.

Wagner is not a bad coach and will have them right up for it next Sunday.

I appreciate that response mate. Thank you for the insight and wisdom
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by CUSSIE01 »

Norwich lost at Birmingham today while West Brom won 3-0, they will give Southampton a run for their money
Keeping The Faith
pandagirl
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by pandagirl »

I live in Morley so not far from elland road (can walk it in 25 min from churwell).

Anyway my three cents, got back from the game, the mood was pretty much dead, at the end, quiet applause (some boos).
Sure we qualified for the play offs, but nobody has any confidence at all.

I went into town center with a few guys with leeds shirts on who had clearly been to the game.

Everybody looked down, and sad.

Sure, play offs is better than nothing, but from what could have been, it feels like a faliure.

The worst thing is, its one thing if we are flying, and going into the play offs, but the form has been so bad, nobody can see exactly how we are going to beat norwich.

Where are the goals/ clean sheets coming from?

Finally i joined the forums a few weeks ago, i dont want to come across like a moaner who only bangs the drums when things arent going well, because i love the team and the players,

But something is wrong and its not just tiredness.

D F`s post match that i heard on the radio on my way home, he was all cheerful and upbeat and totally in denial of the problems.
I am on the fence if we should even replace him before the play offs.
On the one hand, he`s earnt promotion twice before, and our play off record is not great, so it could be a good omen having D F for the playoffs.

But on the other hand as i have said before.. where is the win coming from? where are the goals coming from?

I mean look at garbage like huddersfield, relegated, and we couldnt even hit a barn door past them!

I hate to just be miserable on here.

But man, was today depressing.

Panda Girl
pandagirl
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by pandagirl »

Morpheus wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 2:53 pm I appreciate that response mate. Thank you for the insight and wisdom
Can i add, there is dissapointment, and then theres putting up a fight
I have seen zero interest or zero fight from the players in the last (best part of) 2 months
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

I would prefer Rutter to come on as a sub currently, not entirely sure he justifies his selection on current form. He may be better against tired legs.
The problem is with two water carriers we need his creativity and we do not have a natural replacement - possibly Gnonto? I just hope Geo can find that spark, he was all over the place off the ball today.
We need Amps back in the middle - the problem with this is a left sided defence of Coops and Firpo, which makes me wince.

Piroe played well today, he has to start against Norwich. Some headaches for Farke in terms of how he sets the team up.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Morpheus wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 2:53 pm I appreciate that response mate. Thank you for the insight and wisdom
No worries mate. Expect the worst and hope for the best 🙏
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

pandagirl wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 3:12 pm Can i add, there is dissapointment, and then theres putting up a fight
I have seen zero interest or zero fight from the players in the last (best part of) 2 months
100% PG :tup:
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

pandagirl wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 3:09 pm I live in Morley so not far from elland road (can walk it in 25 min from churwell).

Anyway my three cents, got back from the game, the mood was pretty much dead, at the end, quiet applause (some boos).
Sure we qualified for the play offs, but nobody has any confidence at all.

I went into town center with a few guys with leeds shirts on who had clearly been to the game.

Everybody looked down, and sad.

Sure, play offs is better than nothing, but from what could have been, it feels like a faliure.

The worst thing is, its one thing if we are flying, and going into the play offs, but the form has been so bad, nobody can see exactly how we are going to beat norwich.

Where are the goals/ clean sheets coming from?

Finally i joined the forums a few weeks ago, i dont want to come across like a moaner who only bangs the drums when things arent going well, because i love the team and the players,

But something is wrong and its not just tiredness.

D F`s post match that i heard on the radio on my way home, he was all cheerful and upbeat and totally in denial of the problems.
I am on the fence if we should even replace him before the play offs.
On the one hand, he`s earnt promotion twice before, and our play off record is not great, so it could be a good omen having D F for the playoffs.

But on the other hand as i have said before.. where is the win coming from? where are the goals coming from?

I mean look at garbage like huddersfield, relegated, and we couldnt even hit a barn door past them!

I hate to just be miserable on here.

But man, was today depressing.

Panda Girl
Bravo for saying that Panda, you’ll get a free pass because you go to the games , but some of us who don’t/can’t go to the games are saying the same things-and get slated as being excessively negative . Anyway good on you and I hope for your sake and those other 35000 who pay their money week in week out get a vast improvement. Following Leeds isn’t easy but it is interesting
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

The Subhuman wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 1:37 pm Oh for f**k sake, just wrote out a long post in reply to CJay only for the f**king thread to be locked ..Can we stop doing that please ...
Yes of course you did :sick: ALL your last 50 posts either contain 1 or 2 sentences tops.

Just another child ;-)
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
JoeDenver
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by JoeDenver »

DDB220 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 3:13 pm I would prefer Rutter to come on as a sub currently, not entirely sure he justifies his selection on current form. He may be better against tired legs.
The problem is with two water carriers we need his creativity and we do not have a natural replacement - possibly Gnonto? I just hope Geo can find that spark, he was all over the place off the ball today.
We need Amps back in the middle - the problem with this is a left sided defence of Coops and Firpo, which makes me wince.

Piroe played well today, he has to start against Norwich. Some headaches for Farke in terms of how he sets the team up.
Geo looked his best out wide and nearly won a PK. He likes to kick the ball out past defenders and run past them. It seems so logical of a fit. Meanwhile, Willy seems to forget where the touchline is. Did anybody else notice this? It was 2-3 times and it costs us possession and loss of attacking momentum. Add in the fact that he plays the 10 for Italy and I’m bewildered as to why he hasn’t experimented with this setup at least once this season.

But I could get behind Geo being a super sub, as well…. Also, given Farke’s postgame comments re: Geo, why has he been playing Geo so much in the first place? Good grief! It’s like he’s willing to let the club sink or swim with how Geo’s playing and won’t come up with an alternative to navigate the situation without him.

Much more to unpack, but I’ll pause there…fuming :rant:
Fly Fishing, Skiing, and The Damned United
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

The Subhuman wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 1:51 pm Strikers are often lazy bastards, Moore doesn't get through a lot of work and I don't think he started v Finland a couple of days earlier either.. .. Ampadu got through more work than anyone, Roberts got injured, James missed the key pen and Rodon not been the same since.

But I agree re poor man/squad management. We had the talent to rotate but didn't.
:roflmao:
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

hector wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 1:54 pm Just give it a rest will you please.....

There was warning the thread would close, did you not see the word "ish"??

You do nowt but moan about the mods and the way things are run on here, and yet when you had the chance to become a mod you turned it down.
:tup:

;@)
Anderson
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Anderson »

Unbeleavable we are still favourites to be promoted via playoffs do the bookies know something
pandagirl
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by pandagirl »

@orangebox How you doing. :)
i say it as it is :)
If the team are giving their all, i praise, even if they lose but try, i still praise

But for some reason it isnt clicking and it isnt tiredness, we just had a week between games

I think it comes down to one thing

Look at teams like Hull and Huddersfield, and Blackburn, teams who couldnt hit a barn door but totally nullify our threat and look world class against us, and then lose the next week against another team with no fight.

Why is it happening? how are they all so good against us.

It comes down to one thing

Farke`s blueprint has been figured out, so the through balls, crosses, attempts to play down the wings or through the middle, its always cut out, easily, like the teams are one step ahead of us.

Thats the problem. Need a plan b.

Also, interestingly, i am not a Liverpool fan but Farke`s countryman Klopp has the same problem, when he is figured out, he fails to come up with a plan b/ and change things, he just does the same thing, sticks with the same players, hoping it will stick eventually.

Germans have great footballing brains and have had/ still have a massive amount of sucess in football and sports, but they can be (and rightfuly so to an extent), very set (possibly even arrogant), as to their game planes, ie failing to listen to people around them and change things.