Southampton post match discussion

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Southampton post match discussion

Post by malcolmw »

60sUnited wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 7:10 pm Well said Kenny ! I know we are Leeds United but we haven't got a divine right to success !! There are only probably a dozen decent managers in the EFL and we've got one of them......the players on mega bucks need to step up....bollocks to all this tired and burnt out shite, if you can't hack it then you shouldn't be a pro footballer.....sick to death of the excuses... especially the International Break crap....let's not forget this is their job !!!
Agree with the positive sentiment.t about our manager. 90 points - back in September I wondered if we'd get 50.
Overall. Happy with the season.

Don't agree with ecomme t re the int break. It broke momentum. That's one of the nuances in any team sport. Yes it's their job, but none were playing poorly on purpose.
I won't go on this forum during and immediately after a game.
All the negative Nellie's come out wither "told you so's" .pathetic
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Finnatic wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 2:18 pm Absolutely.
Pre match chat, fine but post match is still about something that has happened and should be a continuation of the match thread.
I don't see a reason to close the match thread so early - maybe give it 30 minutes because if people are watching on different streams they could be several minutes behind - how many times do people announce a goal a few minutes before others get to see it. It then gives the poster a chance to copy their post and then post it in the right thread rather than simply lose it.
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

So a club which has failed to gain promotion in all 4 of its previous play off involvements starting from 1987, fielding a team which has been in relegation form over the last 8 matches. I mean what could possibly go wrong ??

IMO many of the current problems are a lingering legacy and handicap of the poor recruitment in the recent past. Our two worst performers today ( Rutter and Firpo) cost the best part of £45m. At least Jordan Miles will be taking over in future with the recruitment. Thank goodness, as it's a fundamental aspect of becoming a successful club which LUFC simply has to improve on.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

SG90 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 5:09 pm And they've had numerous chances and offered nothing. It's not just 1 game either, it's been 8 games or so.
I think you will find it has been 46 matches and for the most part those players that have been out of form recently have been in form. Our best hope is if those players regain their form rather than going with the players that weren't good enough to start when everyone is available. Why would our second choice XI suddenly be capable of winning the play-offs?
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

Johnthewhite wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 8:10 pm Yes, with you on that one mate, remember the crowd noise when they came out, made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, it was very special indeed.
I’m getting emotional now just thinking about it.

Incredible night.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 5:20 pm Isn't it part of a manager's job to find solutions as Bielsa used to say though?

He had January if he wanted to try something different but needs 1 or 2 new players?

I don't think Gnonto is suited to playing a right wing traditional role as I said before and felt if Farke insisted on persisting with his BuendiaLite role in his team then Gnonto was probably the only option of him, James, Anthony and Summerville.

But Summerville is perfectly capable of playing as a traditional right winger, so is James, so the options for trying it were available even just on occasion. Just because this inverted winger thing worked once for him with Buendia it doesn't mean you have to shoehorn it into every team you have?

Our lack of goals and craft from midfield was well known in January, we could have looked for something extra then? We could have given Archie the role as he himself sees himself as a box to box midfielder and given him that freedom.

But today again Gray played the role exactly the same as Kamara.

I think the midfield is a massive problem when you play out from the back, think of how important Klich was to Bielsa with him dropping deep then taking up forward positions between the lines to give an extra passing option.

Look at Southampton today and how easily they did it and how important the runs from Smallbone and Downes were and the speed they did it at.

Our midfield basically stand in a square with the 2 cbs, so your only options are back and sidwards between eachother until Jimmy or Gnonto comes back or Georgie for an extra passing option but where do they go? Midfield is behind them or next to them? How often do we see one of them have to pass back or try and turn and beat a man to open up the pitch to find a passing option?

How often have we seen Rodon stride forward into space, get to the halfway line and the cms are next to him marked and the front 4 are in front of him marked so he goes back?

Finally I understand we may not have ideal players to try tweaks or whatnot but isn't that part of being a Championship team? You won't have a squad of ideal players so you just have to try and make the best of it?

I'd rather have a manager who tries and fails than one who just repeats again and again and again even long past when it last worked?

Today was pretty much a freebie in the sense realistically we all knew it was pretty much done.

Once Ipswich scored you knew it was done.

So wasn't today an opportunity to try something else vs a playoff rival? See if we can find a different way? Some tweaks? Ultimately we repeated the 1st time we played Southampton and had the same result.

They walked through us at will.
Put Summerville on the right wing and what is he going to do? Take away his option of cutting in from the left and curling a shot with his right foot and he'd have been fairly much anonymous this season.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Notwell wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 5:32 pm That is it. We are worse off than 1 season ago. The boat has sailed, people are saying it took time for Bielsa, and Farke did it before using time. They don't get it. We are losing the players who dragged us up the table, and don't have money to replace them. The ones who failed us in the prem are returning, anyone fancy Kristensen?
Rutter, James, Messlier, Struyk, Firpo and various others all failed us in the prem too. Rodon had failed in the prem, Ampadu had been relegated at 3 top flight clubs. If we don't go up then the key is good recruitment and hopefully we have been drawing up shortlists for a while of players we can get that don't cost the earth. Hopefully we aren't in too bad of a financial situation given that we would likely sell Summerville, Gnonto and Rutter (maybe others too). We will have also lost Ayling and Cooper's wages which would likely be higher than the normal championship wages. If some of those that left on loan end up being part of our squad then hopefully we can get something out of them. Someone like Aaronsen could be more effective as a 10 in this division, there is ability there.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 9:07 pm Put Summerville on the right wing and what is he going to do? Take away his option of cutting in from the left and curling a shot with his right foot and he'd have been fairly much anonymous this season.
He was a right winger basically his whole youth career and when he broke through with us.

Perfectly capable of doing it, think a more skillful Dan James.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 9:51 pm He was a right winger basically his whole youth career and when he broke through with us.

He is a one trick pony. Put him on the right and he is a no trick pony.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

weasel wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 9:59 pm He is a one trick pony. Put him on the right and he is a no trick pony.
Either way he’s a pony then.
My Little Pony.
Actually today it was monotonous watching him cutting in. Then cutting in. Then running along the 18 yard box. Then. Well nothing really.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 9:59 pm He is a one trick pony. Put him on the right and he is a no trick pony.
Without this pony we'd be flogging a dead horse with Daniel Farke . . . . :)
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Cjay wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 9:51 pm He was a right winger basically his whole youth career and when he broke through with us.

Very good right winger… and yes it’s probably his best position
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

The Subhuman wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 10:27 pm Very good right winger… and yes it’s probably his best position
He always played on the right for the 23's before he got promoted to the seniors. Scored quite a few goals from the right too.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 10:18 pm Without this pony we'd be flogging a dead horse with Daniel Farke . . . . :)
Without any eyes I wouldn't see very much,
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 10:45 pm He always played on the right for the 23's before he got promoted to the seniors. Scored quite a few goals from the right too.
Yep, baby Raph...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Sean_Nile
First Team
First Team

Post by Sean_Nile »

Jaydog wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 7:44 pm I like the name but what does it stand for?
Marching Entirely Happy
Best I can do.
It is the sound Cjay makes if anybody disagrees with him.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Got some great news for you folks 🤠

Daniel Farke had been saying to Paarag Marathe that because of the recent down turn in results from our bottle jobs he was looking to freshen things up at Carrow Road.

Paarag and Angus Kinnear have identified a great solution. They had a rummage around in the broom cupboard at the back of the boardroom and found a huge supply of Crowdies.

Adam Pope reports "Daniel has asked me to keep it quiet, but we will be fielding a brand new team and set of substitutes at Norwich. He's confident that Dave Wagner and the Canaries will not be able to notice the difference and we'll piss it."

Another positive is that we've saved a fortune in hotel and catering expenses, as "the lads" will be staying in Daniel's room and will not require any food before or after the match.

In a comment Daniel Farke said "My lads have had a fantastic season achieving 90 points from 46 matches. Normally that would get you promoted. So, I can't be too critical. In fact I've sent them all off on an early vacation while the Crowdies pick up the slack. They have looked much better than the shite I've suffered since the international break."
Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Post by Finnatic »

weasel wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 8:21 pm I don't see a reason to close the match thread so early - maybe give it 30 minutes because if people are watching on different streams they could be several minutes behind - how many times do people announce a goal a few minutes before others get to see it. It then gives the poster a chance to copy their post and then post it in the right thread rather than simply lose it.
I think the match thread should be kept open permanently and no post match thread.
Prisoner37
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Prisoner37 »

White Riot wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 1:50 pm It is shite GW, but I could see this coming a mile off, and be prepared for a few frowny faces when these guys let us down again in the play-offs.

But in comparison to being robbed in the European Cup Final in 75 and being heartbroken then, this doesn't even register on the long list of disappointments I've suffered as an LUFC supporter.
That 75 final is the only time I've properly cried over a football match.

So I agree, all other disappointments fade into insignificance compared to being cheated of our rightful place in history.

The sad thing is that with the current structures we have zero chance of reaching the Revie team heights again.

But still, we March on Together, this time into the dreaded play-offs.
hector

Post by hector »

Finnatic wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 7:29 am I think the match thread should be kept open permanently and no post match thread.
We will keep the current format for the rest of the season, but... I will post a poll during the off season, and we can see what other people think, the results of which will determine the way we work next season.

Is that fair ?