Yorkshire Radio GONE!!!

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Twiggster
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Yorkshire Radio GONE!!!

Post by Twiggster »

LUFCRACE wrote:I agree it probably has been on the cards for a while, but 6pm on a Tuesday is an odd time to cease in that case. End of the week (or maybe even end of the month i.e. tomorrow) might have made more sense.
Decision was sudden, apparently...

weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

It was in theory a good idea - the only trouble was that not being able to broadcast live commentary to the world killed it as it meant that it never got a big audience and as such could never cash in with advertising. If more people could have got live commentaries I dare say they would have listened on matchdays and then also started listening before and after games and then sometimes during the week. Without the commentaries out of towners had no reason to tune in.

It also showed the changing face of media as with the internet people aren't listening to the radio for any new LUFC developments as they can just log on to any of several sites. Video may not have killed the radio star but t'internet is giving it a good kicking.
PaulUSA
First Team
First Team

Post by PaulUSA »

LUFCRACE wrote:Simple answer: we'll use Radio Leeds. Nothing will change.
Thanks, Anna. Good to hear.

Your answer was slightly easier to interpret than Harry's blanket "Yes" :mrgreen: ...although both were well appreciated.
Helplessly hoping
Mr T
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Mr T »

I really liked Yorkshire Radio, I would quite often put it on here in australia. Just a shame they couldn't stream games live on the net.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

becchio bear wrote:
Speak for yourself you grumpy little old man :evil: :bear:
Makes business sense.....glad my season ticket money is going into the club/ team building rather than a loss-making radio station just to keep people in jobs......a radio station I rarely listen to I hasten to add with it's predictable limited music.....should have been more sports orientated anyway which it wasn't ......bland comes to mine !

On the commentators front.......there are better out there !
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @Becchiobear

Post by becchio bear »

1964white wrote:
Makes business sense.....glad my season ticket money is going into the club/ team building rather than a loss-making radio station just to keep people in jobs......a radio station I rarely listen to I hasten to add with it's predictable limited music.....should have been more sports orientated anyway which it wasn't ......bland comes to mine !

On the commentators front.......there are better out there !
How would you know its content since it was a station you rarely listened to? They played a lot of new music actually. :bear:
I'm going back to 505, I saw them at Sheffield and they were amazing.
Brader
First Team
First Team

Post by Brader »

Sad, but if its not running a profit then in a way im glad its gone. We all talk about how frustrating it is not buying the players we feel we need, so in a way its a good step in closing these sort of sink holes. Fingers crossed all the people involved will manage to find work elsewhere - hiopefully still within the club.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Yorkshire Radio
Reach 99,000
Share 0.5%

Radio Aire
Reach 140,000
Share 5.8%

Capital Yorkshire
Reach 1,128,000
Share 9%

Real Radio (Yorkshire)
Reach 350,000
Share 7.9%

BBC Radio Leeds
Reach 232,000
Share 4.7%

I'd suggest on audience share Yorkshire Radio was a long way behind it's rivals. No wonder it lost money, who would pay for advertising on a station with a 0.5% market share. I know the reach figures look encouraging but they are massivley bolstered by people tuning in for one thing, the football.
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @Becchiobear

Post by becchio bear »

Switching on my radio this morning and it was still tuned to Yorkshire Radio, sadly running across the LCD screen it said "Now playing I Predict a Riot by Kaiser Chiefs" :cry: :bear:
I'm going back to 505, I saw them at Sheffield and they were amazing.
barryanorak
Manager
Manager

Post by barryanorak »

Does make me wonder about the wider reach of Leeds commentaries. The digital platform meant that you could listen to YR anywhere, I'm right on the edge of Radio Leeds transmission area and have had no real luck tuning in on DAB.

Whither next?
Music so wishes to be heard that it sometimes calls on unlikely characters to give it voice...

LUFCRACE
Manager
Manager
Twitter: lufcrace

Yorkshire Radio GONE!!!

Post by LUFCRACE »

weasel wrote:It was in theory a good idea - the only trouble was that not being able to broadcast live commentary to the world killed it as it meant that it never got a big audience and as such could never cash in with advertising. If more people could have got live commentaries I dare say they would have listened on matchdays and then also started listening before and after games and then sometimes during the week. Without the commentaries out of towners had no reason to tune in.

It also showed the changing face of media as with the internet people aren't listening to the radio for any new LUFC developments as they can just log on to any of several sites. Video may not have killed the radio star but t'internet is giving it a good kicking.
I think this has a lot to do with it, it is difficult for local stations to gain massive audience.
Back when I first started listening to commentaries, when they were on Radio Aire, I listened on an fm radio with no presets on it, this it was easier to leave the radio tuned in to one station and I would listen to R Aire as my main station. It's much easier to skip around the stations now, and as you say, people get their news from other places.
I listened to Y Radio for a couple of hours once or twice, plus a few occasions when I left it on after matches, never that impressed. Spend the money in more important places.
BRING BACK BRADDERS

International English and maths study programmes for children of all ages and abilities. Give us a shout if you think your child could benefit.
www.facebook.com/KumonWakefieldNorth
LUFCRACE
Manager
Manager

Yorkshire Radio GONE!!!

Post by LUFCRACE »

barryanorak wrote:Does make me wonder about the wider reach of Leeds commentaries. The digital platform meant that you could listen to YR anywhere, I'm right on the edge of Radio Leeds transmission area and have had no real luck tuning in on DAB.

Whither next?
DAB commentaries still work locally like the FM ones do though, these days you can pick up FM stations using apps/Internet. Which won't broadcast the commentaries because of the rights already in place. That hasn't changed. What has changed is that wider audiences can pay for their LUTV subs and get commentary.
BRING BACK BRADDERS

International English and maths study programmes for children of all ages and abilities. Give us a shout if you think your child could benefit.
Twiggster
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Twiggster »

So I understand Thom and Eddie will be doing live match commentary on LUTV, whilst Popey covers the games on R.Leeds.
Good to see Thom is still involved :tup:
eastyorkshirewhite
First Team
First Team

Post by eastyorkshirewhite »

Have just been to an elderly gentleman who used to go to Uniteds matches but cant now tried to get Radio Leeds on his DAB radio but have had no luck so he will now miss out on commentries.
Twiggster
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Twiggster »

eastyorkshirewhite wrote:Have just been to an elderly gentleman who used to go to Uniteds matches but cant now tried to get Radio Leeds on his DAB radio but have had no luck so he will now miss out on commentries.
I thought most DAB radios also had an FM option? :duno:
eastyorkshirewhite
First Team
First Team

Twiggster wrote:
I thought most DAB radios also had an FM option? :duno:
It has but still cant pick it up so i am afraid he will have lost one of his pleasures.
Twiggster
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Twiggster »

eastyorkshirewhite wrote: It has but still cant pick it up so i am afraid he will have lost one of his pleasures.
Radio Leeds on DAB. I didn't know that. If your friend could get YR on Dab - he must be able to get R.Leeds? http://www.ukfree.tv/dabtx.php?station= ... io%20Leeds
LUFCRACE
Manager
Manager

Post by LUFCRACE »

(Might be a daft question but has he tried retuning it?)
BRING BACK BRADDERS

eastyorkshirewhite
First Team
First Team

have tried everything for him
Dr.Leeds
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DoctorLeeds

Yorkshire Radio GONE!!!

Post by Dr.Leeds »

Twiggster wrote:
Radio Leeds on DAB. I didn't know that. If your friend could get YR on Dab - he must be able to get R.Leeds? http://www.ukfree.tv/dabtx.php?station= ... io%20Leeds
I could get YR but having retuned my DAB I can't get Radio Leeds. Can get it via Tune In Radio on my iphone though.