No More Page 3?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ryan_LUFC
Youth Team
Youth Team
Twitter: @ryan_merri

No More Page 3?

Post by Ryan_LUFC »

It seems the Sun newspaper may have finally dropped the topless models on Page Three after pressure from feminists.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/j ... s-pictures

Thoughts? Do you agree with the protestors?
We may not have it all together, but together we have it all
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Re: No More Page 3?

Post by HarryofOz »

I thought it had happened years ago.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Ryan_LUFC
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Ryan_LUFC »

HarryofOz wrote:I thought it had happened years ago.
Apparently since Friday they appear to have stopped doing it.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Ryan_LUFC wrote:
Apparently since Friday they appear to have stopped doing it.
So it seems, but I did think that it was a long forgotten practice

I think its good that they've stopped.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

What is Page 3 :lol:
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

Far too late in my oppinion.

Lets hope they drop the rest of it soon!
joluafc4eva
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by joluafc4eva »

Thank God - it was so degrading and an embarrassment
Kyle_5351
First Team
First Team

Post by Kyle_5351 »

1964white wrote:What is Page 3 :lol:
This.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Kyle_5351 wrote:
This.
This is page 1
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @MartynStead

Post by Martyn »

joluafc4eva wrote:Thank God - it was so degrading and an embarrassment
Page 3 isn't special in that regard, the whole of the Sun is degrading and an embarrassment
Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.
Ryan_LUFC
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Ryan_LUFC »

The thing is, several other tabloid papers feature topless models too so in theory people who were only buying the Sun for page 3 will just buy one of the others. The protestors seem to be targeting The Sun because it is the most popular tabloid.

As an ex-Page 3 girl said on Good Morning Britain this morning, people don't buy The Sun for it's top quality journalism. If they want that then they wouldn't be buying tabloid newspapers.
Armleywhite

No More Page 3?

Post by Armleywhite »

This is the 21st century where we, as a race should have progressed beyond cracking one out to page on a meaningless tabloid rag, surely??
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

Armleywhite wrote:This is the 21st century where we, as a race should have progressed beyond cracking one out to page on a meaningless tabloid rag, surely??
Well said :lol:
hibbi86
First Team
First Team
Twitter: @Hibbi86

Post by hibbi86 »

Double Standards if you ask me!

Id bet the same people campaigning for things like this to stop are also drooling over half naked pictures of people like David Beckham and Channing Tatum.

Personally i dont care for either Page 3 or a half naked image of some dude just not a fan of the double standards.
Forever and ever we shall follow are team, because we're Leeds United we rule supreme!
gessa

Post by gessa »

hibbi86 wrote:Double Standards if you ask me!

Id bet the same people campaigning for things like this to stop are also drooling over half naked pictures of people like David Beckham and Channing Tatum.

Personally i dont care for either Page 3 or a half naked image of some dude just not a fan of the double standards.

So you're saying,some men and women enjoy looking at tits
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @MartynStead

Post by Martyn »

I don't think it's about double standards at all. For those who want to see pictures of naked women there are plenty of top-shelf magazines and millions if not billions of free images available on the web. A newspaper is not the appropriate medium, that's all.

I'm against censorship so I have no wish to ban topless photos, it's just about where they are published.

And the same goes for the Sport and the Star, if it's still going.
Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

Point is that they're not on page 3 nude/mostly nude on a daily basis.

Just because you like looking at pictures of pretty people doesn't mean you can't think it's wrong for that sort of stuff to be in a national 'news'paper.
theleedsmango
First Team
First Team

Post by theleedsmango »

Think the difference is, the pictures of the men, and indeed women, are sporadic and normally are to advertise a product or promote an event or material. The Page 3 was purely just there to show a bit of tits.

I doubt this has anything to do with feminism, there's been stronger opposition in the past and tabloids love the self generated publicity. In fact the opposite is probably true. Nobody cares. Teenage boys can get source material elsewhere for free. There is no fuss, no interest. The so-called Glamour models used to get famous from appearing, I doubt that's the case anymore. It's just a waste of time for the Sun.
"Please understand that the theory that every Leeds discussion converges to a finite, but uninformed, debate on the Chairman is one we must all question and actively counter" - Stephen Hawkings
hibbi86
First Team
First Team
Twitter: @Hibbi86

Post by hibbi86 »

theleedsmango wrote: Think the difference is, the pictures of the men, and indeed women, are sporadic and normally are to advertise a product or promote an event or material. The Page 3 was purely just there to show a bit of tits.

I doubt this has anything to do with feminism, there's been stronger opposition in the past and tabloids love the self generated publicity. In fact the opposite is probably true. Nobody cares. Teenage boys can get source material elsewhere for free. There is no fuss, no interest. The so-called Glamour models used to get famous from appearing, I doubt that's the case anymore. It's just a waste of time for the Sun.
Yeah i didnt give great examples of this i wonder why they bothered to attack page 3 over things like Nuts Mag or Zoo Mag which is solely based on women wearing next to nothing.
Forever and ever we shall follow are team, because we're Leeds United we rule supreme!
Baby Lemonade
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Baby Lemonade »

I think it's a shame, I used to enjoy the ladies insightful thoughts on the topic of the day.