New Leeds transfer and head coach/manager rumours thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Re: RE: Re: New Leeds transfer and head coach/manager rumours thread

Post by Genghers »

mav wrote:TBH having a small squad is not a real issue, as long as the manager trusts them all to play and they are versatile enough to work with it.
So long as you have enough cover in case of injuries. Two players for each position ought to be fine, with a bit of variation in roles...

One of the big problems last season was an unstable starting 11.
drsdadsotherson
First Team
First Team

Re: New Leeds transfer and head coach/manager rumours thread

Post by drsdadsotherson »

I don't know why, because I have never seen so much as a YouTube misrepresentation... sorry, I mean video... but the season long signing of Sakho has really got me feeling hopeful for next season.

I'm looking forward to whoever is next to arrive and I have to send thanks to MC for putting his money where his mouth is despite the challenges and battles of last season.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

The ideal scenario is having a small settled first team with the youth knocking on the door as back up / replacements. Having too many first team players can lead to a lot of unhappy players as not everyone can play whereas if it is youth team players pushing their way in it is much healthier as the youth players aren't just expecting to play. A great scenario here is with Taylor and Berardi as first choice full backs and Lewie Coyle available if one of them gets injured/banned (with Berardi switching to left if needed). Likewise in midfield with Kalvin Phillips chomping at the bit to come in if Cook/Mowatt/Murphy/Diagoura etc are ruled out.

Man Utd under Ferguson were masters of this with youth team and local lads providing the back up with the likes of Phil Neville, Nicky Butt etc happy to be squad players for several seasons, not quite first team standard but decent enough to do a job when called upon. They also had the likes of Wes Brown, John O'Shea and others to constantly provide the youthful/local back up. The only real area where Ferguson kept 4 or 5 players competing for 2 positions was up front as strikers are more prone to a lack of form/confidence and when chasing a game it is better to be able to make substitutions to have 4 strikers all playing at the same time (as in their Champions League win over Bayern Munich) than to have 5 or 6 midfielders on.

One key element is also to have players that aren't particularly injury prone and also players that don't get banned that often.
Crude
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Crude »

Hadi Sacko IN! Winger with pace and skill to burn. Hope he can adopt to the Championship and it's not Sorsa/Costa part 3.

http://www.leedsunited.com/news/article ... r-signs-up
RIP Twiggster, March 5, 2023

Chris & Kevin | Never Forgotten | April 5, 2000

Gary Andrew Speed, MBE — Always In Our Hearts, 1969-2011
woodfordwhites
First Team
First Team

Post by woodfordwhites »

Pre-season: lufc will host Serie A side Atalanta_BC in a friendly on Saturday July 30 kick off 3pm.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Ok, I've never heard of Sakho, can anybody help?
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
woodfordwhites
First Team
First Team

Post by woodfordwhites »

The amount for the bid what was submitted by Leeds for yannis salibur was 2.7m Leeds waiting to see if bid accepted or rejected from Guingamp
herefordbornleedsboy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by herefordbornleedsboy »

lufc1304 wrote:Ok, I've never heard of Sakho, can anybody help?
Youngster from Sporting Lisbon. Highly rated but been kicking around in their second team and on loan.
They had seen enough of him to slap a £60m release clause in his contract when they signed him.
attacking midfielder/winger with pace to burn.
Could be onto a winner.
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

lufc1304 wrote:Ok, I've never heard of Sakho, can anybody help?
He's no Franck Ribery :)
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
drsdadsotherson
First Team
First Team

Post by drsdadsotherson »

I somehow doubt we would be able to sign a Frank Ribery anyway. That's like comparing a kinder egg to a Faberge egg. Kinder egg is our level right now so I'm happy with our signing. :)
MOTliam
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by MOTliam »

I hope Sacko comes and does good. He's another loan to buy right? Very good business by MC with all these loan to buy options. And no I don't think we need to pay the £60M fee. I've read somewhere that it's just something that the European teams do with young players and they'd be willing to accept a £3M bid for him. Obviously he'd need to play and play well for us. Very quick apparently, just hope he's not another Kebe!
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

He's not even played for Sporting Lison first team so this €60m buy out clause is nothing short of farcical. According to a Portuguese football correspondent on Twitter, Leeds fans can expect nothing more than a squad player who may show " flashes of brilliance " from off the bench but not much more. Sounds like Botaka.
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
mav
First Team
First Team

Re: RE: Re: New Leeds transfer and head coach/manager rumours thread

Post by mav »

Genghers wrote:So long as you have enough cover in case of injuries. Two players for each position ought to be fine, with a bit of variation in roles...

One of the big problems last season was an unstable starting 11.

I don't think you even need that, a strong bench is something we have not had for a long time.
Every game I predict a 3 - 1 Leeds win, I am traditional like that.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

herefordbornleedsboy wrote:Youngster from Sporting Lisbon. Highly rated but been kicking around in their second team and on loan.
They had seen enough of him to slap a £60m release clause in his contract when they signed him.
attacking midfielder/winger with pace to burn.
Could be onto a winner.
Thanks, mate, sounds promising
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Crude
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Crude »

Gurj wrote:He's not even played for Sporting Lison first team so this €60m buy out clause is nothing short of farcical. According to a Portuguese football correspondent on Twitter, Leeds fans can expect nothing more than a squad player who may show " flashes of brilliance " from off the bench but not much more. Sounds like Botaka.
Hope he is a better version of Botaka who can provide some fairly consistent speed and quality as a winger. That is all we really need at this level. If he turns out to be a dud, then we're not on the hook for a multi-year contract.

Also wonder if this puts the kibosh on Anthony Limbombe coming from NEC?
RIP Twiggster, March 5, 2023

Chris & Kevin | Never Forgotten | April 5, 2000

Gary Andrew Speed, MBE — Always In Our Hearts, 1969-2011
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

Robert Green signed on a one year deal according to Phil Hay - Bye bye Spilvestri.
Last edited by Gandalf on Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
Brader
First Team
First Team

Post by Brader »

We've apparently signed rob green according to talk sport (Leeds official Twitter just put something up about announcing a new signing soon so presume it's this)

Same reporter claiming to announce the rob green news says were also close to signing Leon Osman on a free too
Brader
First Team
First Team

Post by Brader »

Gandalf wrote:Robert Green signed on a one year deal according to Phil Hay - Bye bye Spilvestri.
Will it be silvestri though? I'd expect Turnbull to be released over silvestri
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Gandalf wrote:Robert Green signed on a one year deal according to Phil Hay - Bye bye Spilvestri.
Did say we need to strengthen in the keeper position on the 'Geordie In Peace' thread
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Confirmation that my namesake (Robert Green) has signed Image