Tuesday's Breakfast Quickfire Debate

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Tuesday's Breakfast Quickfire Debate

Post by 1964white »

Premier League is less enjoyable than non-League: Paul Scholes says he gets more satisfaction watching Royton Town than Manchester United. Paul Scholes believes the quality of the Premier League has declined - Do you agree or disagree ?

Good night for our international teams. ROI gained a credible draw in Serbia & the Welsh retained their form from the Euro's with a comprehensive win over Moldova

Serbia 2-2 Republic of Ireland
Wales 4-0 Moldova

plus

Spain crushed Liechtenstein 8-0

Are you watching England, this is the way to beat less quality teams ?
1964white

Re: Tuesday's Breakfast Quickfire Debate

Post by 1964white »

Premier League is less enjoyable than non-League: Paul Scholes says he gets more satisfaction watching Royton Town than Manchester United. Paul Scholes believes the quality of the Premier League has declined - Do you agree or disagree ?

Have to say i agree with Mr Scholes, I rarely see a televised prem game although I generally watch MOTD if i can stay awake that is. Leicester were a breath of fresh air last season but the usual suspects will dominate the top three places after their obscene spending this summer

Good night for our international teams. ROI gained a credible draw in Serbia & the Welsh retained their form from the Euro's with a comprehensive win over Moldova

Serbia 2-2 Republic of Ireland
Wales 4-0 Moldova

plus one high score of note from one of Europe's elite

Spain crushed Liechtenstein 8-0

Smashing results for ROI & Wales with Bale very influential for the Welsh

Are you watching England, this is the way to beat less quality teams ?
hector

Post by hector »

Can't join in on this one.... Don't watch any football except Leeds ( I do like to punish myself), so know nothing about the Prem... except that it seems to be the same teams trying to outspend each other on the most expensive players, who, all seem to be foreign.

There does seem to be more heart and soul in the playing, and more loyalty from the players the lower down the leagues you go though.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

I agree with Scholes also, the quality has waned over the last several seasons. Probably in line with the money spent by clubs and the obscene Sky money on offer. It's all about winning, full stop, how that win is achieved is immaterial. Leicester and Spurs played some good stuff last season, as did Liverpool the year they almost won it under Rodgers, but generally the Prem serves up pretty poor fayre. Much rather watch the championship and the lower leagues.

Watched much of the ROI game; decent result, and a pretty good game, in atrocious conditions. Wales, it seems, were dire for 30 minutes then kicked on when they scored. Also watched a bit of Israel v Italy; the Italians were under the cosh at 2-1 up but down to 10 men, Israelis couldn't make the extra man count and got sucker-punched very late to give the Azzuri the 3 points
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

The standard of the Premier League is bound to have dropped seeing as we are not in it. We should be given a bye to get back in (the only way we will with the loony in charge). I watch most Prem games, and am inspired by very few. I don't watch lower league games (apart from ours), and certainly wouldn't watch non-league. The only internationals I watch are England games (like watching the same car crash over and over) apart from tournaments.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
Brader
First Team
First Team

Post by Brader »

Can't agree ... Been to two guiseley games and a couple non league recently and it's been some of the most boring football I've ever seen

As for the quality of the premier league declining I think it's actually the opposite, whereas the transfer fees and wages are now beyond ridiculous thanks to TV money..... It has in turn created such a lucrative pull that most players are willing to overlook the bigger teams just to play here. I think a perceived lack of quality is actually down to what once were considered smaller teams having a pull of bigger players than say in the 90s and bringing the overall quality up.... perfect example is Stoke signing shaquiri ...
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Agreed, Aldershot have played some rubbish recently. The Championship is the best division in the country and it's not close.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Agreed, Aldershot have played some rubbish recently. The Championship is the best division in the country and it's not close.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
BobHirst
Manager
Manager

Post by BobHirst »

I posted this recently on another thread.

I have access to watch every premier league game.
Last year, watching Leicester was loads of fun.
From what I've seen this year, Man U. Man C. and Chelsea look really good AND entertaining.
(I guess having the odd 100 million pounds helps a bit).
1964white

Post by 1964white »

BobHirst wrote:I posted this recently on another thread.

I have access to watch every premier league game.
Last year, watching Leicester was loads of fun.
From what I've seen this year, Man U. Man C. and Chelsea look really good AND entertaining.
(I guess having the odd 100 million pounds helps a bit).
Probably inspired me with this thread Bob :tup:
gessa

Post by gessa »

A lot of football is as dull as dish water . Rarely watch a game that I've thoroughly enjoyed.
I watch a fair bit of Non League and where there is a lot of passion and enjoyment on show, there is very little quality to be seen.

If the England players showed the same level of passion and pride as the other 4 countries, then they would stand a decent chance of achieving something but for whatever reason they never seem to. Not bothered about watching England play, use it as an excuse to go to the pub on occasion but that's about it, other than the tournaments.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Premier League
This season I have only watched Manure vs Hull and it was an entertaining enough game.
Last season was all about Leicester and Spurs but I enjoyed watching West Ham too - I like the passion of Slaven Bilic.
Can't speak for the other games this season but I assume the top 3 are showing decent form if their results are anything to go by.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Norm wrote:Premier League
This season I have only watched Manure vs Hull and it was an entertaining enough game.
Last season was all about Leicester and Spurs but I enjoyed watching West Ham too - I like the passion of Slaven Bilic.
Can't speak for the other games this season but I assume the top 3 are showing decent form if their results are anything to go by.
Only because they are buying the Prem

One thing is certain two of them will fail :-D
Kyle_5351
First Team
First Team

Post by Kyle_5351 »

I don't watch the Premier League this season as TV rights in Australia have gone tits up (but that is a different discussion I will not go into).

However, due to this, I do get Championship, League 1 and 2 games. I enjoy watching all of the lower leagues as the teams are reasonably equal. Of course there are exceptions, but generally anybody can beat anyone in these leagues and it's great to watch.

On the basis of the original question though, I don't think the PL has declined in quality of players, but has in teams. Individuals in the PL are some of the best in the world, but the teams seem to struggle in Europe lately. I also think a lot of players who are great in other leagues around the world, would struggle in the PL.
MissSurreyWhite
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by MissSurreyWhite »

Not sure if the quality has declined but unless you support a team in the Premiership, it is rather dull.

It's just another version of International football.

Year on year we have the same clubs fighting for the trophies.
Year on year playing rather dull possession football.
This year was rather exceptional with Leicester challenging the norm of the top six and playing fast counter attacking football.

No doubt that will be stopped by the huge spending and poaching by the top six.

I cannot identify with teams that have a galaxy of stars form all over the world.

Maybe this would change if Leeds were up there but can't see that happening for a long time.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

MissSurreyWhite wrote:Maybe this would change if Leeds were up there but can't see that happening for a long time.
I'm sure it would Miss SW :tup: imagine putting one over the Scum, Scousers, Gooners, Citeh, Chelski & the rest would be immense for LUFC fans. Also the atmosphere would return to the prem as Leeds fans proudly sings Marching On Together around the various grounds. MOTD would be a whole different ball game as you rarely hear songs belted out on the telly :-D