Liam Cooper

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Liam Cooper

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote:I would like to take this opportunity to apologise to anyone including Liam himself who have been offended by comments on this topic

On hindsight I shouldn't have started the thread even though praise/criticism is a two way thing imo especially on a football forum

I shall endeavour to tone down & condense my match reports/player views in the future
I mentioned earlier in this thread about how negative posting in social media can affect players, referring more to Kalvin Phillips. If I were a professional footballer I wouldn't be on twitter, facebook, read forums, etc.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote:I mentioned earlier in this thread about how negative posting in social media can affect players, referring more to Kalvin Phillips. If I were a professional footballer I wouldn't be on twitter, facebook, read forums, etc.
Their choice Weasel

My comments on poor play especially with individuals will be extremely lukewarm in the future
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

1964white wrote:Not if it offends folk mate

Praise is the operative word for 2017, something I have given to this Monk squad for the best part of this season
I suppose comments come out because we love our football club and want to see us back where we belong. I don't see any of the comments as personal, theyre just about a footballers performance, about the job they've done. We all have our opinions of each player and express them often. We're a passionate lot on here, that's what makes this forum so special.....and its what makes our club so special too
1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote:I suppose comments come out because we love our football club and want to see us back where we belong. I don't see any of the comments as personal, theyre just about a footballers performance, about the job they've done. We all have our opinions of each player and express them often. We're a passionate lot on here, that's what makes this forum so special.....and its what makes our club so special too
People on here were obviously offended by my comments Swan so it's time to take stock & keep certain opinions to myself. I don't want to come across as a bad guy !

Only consolation I created a lively thread with plenty of debate as oppose to a topic quickly dying of death, that's what controversy brings to a forum
gessa

Post by gessa »

1964white wrote:People on here were obviously offended by my comments Swan so it's time to take stock & keep certain opinions to myself. I don't want to come across as a bad guy !

Only consolation I created a lively thread with plenty of debate as oppose to a topic quickly dying of death, that's what controversy brings to a forum
Until Eastyorks post I honestly couldn't see how you offended anyone,he also said Liam was hurt not offended, quite a few disagreed but I'm certain no one was offended.

I do feel for players who read forums, must be a kick in the teeth, a mate who played and managed Conference football said it really used to get to him, even though he knew a lot of it was crap, some posts did hit home, he said the problem was he hated reading it but couldn't help it, it was like a drug, he also said a lot of the criticism was just and he didn't need to read it because he knew it was a f**k up at times but he said it's now part and parcel of the game, no different to what gets shouted out from the stands.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Liam could score a hatrick on Monday and he would be a hero, that's what happens in football, villain to hero or hero to villain very quickly. Similar to when a player leaves a club. They've been adored by thousands and then booed and verbally abused upon return to the club with their present team. Look at Eric Cantona, Alan Smith to name but two. It's a fickle world is football, and I suppose it's easy to say that professional footballer should be able to deal with it....but they are human after all. Perhaps just shouldn't read what's written about them.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote:Until Eastyorks post I honestly couldn't see how you offended anyone,he also said Liam was hurt not offended, quite a few disagreed but I'm certain no one was offended.

I do feel for players who read forums, must be a kick in the teeth, a mate who played and managed Conference football said it really used to get to him, even though he knew a lot of it was crap, some posts did hit home, he said the problem was he hated reading it but couldn't help it, it was like a drug, he also said a lot of the criticism was just and he didn't need to read it because he knew it was a f**k up at times but he said it's now part and parcel of the game, no different to what gets shouted out from the stands.
Well we can't stop players reading forums but I can stop my mouth shooting off so that's how it will be in the future, unfortunately MOT will be a less livelier place to be on Leeds related topics !
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Yes that's the thing, Leon, people/fans have every right to comment about a player's performance - the only difference is that in this age it is all out in the open rather than just a group talking about it down the pub for example. All feedback players would have in the past would be from their manager, the crowd on the day and sports journalists giving ratings. Like I said if I was a player I wouldn't be involved in any social media where people could have a go at me, if the manager picked me then that would be all that I would be concerned with and his feedback afterwards. Everybody has a different opinion but the only one that should matter to a player should be the manager's.

My thoughts are that I would rather give constructive criticism about a player while they wear the Leeds shirt rather than just berate someone. I would rather they were giving 100% for the club and the manager than being worried about what fans think because they have been browsing social media.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

1964white wrote:Well we can't stop players reading forums but I can stop my mouth shooting off so that's how it will be in the future, unfortunately MOT will be a less livelier place to be on Leeds related topics !
All entitled to our opinions and forums are exactly the place to do so.

Not sure anyone was offended by your comments, but everyone is allowed to disagree. If I were a player I wouldn't go near forums/social media, can't do your confidence any good. I bet people even slag od Messi on Twitter.
gessa

Post by gessa »

Shields53 wrote:All entitled to our opinions and forums are exactly the place to do so.

Not sure anyone was offended by your comments, but everyone is allowed to disagree. If I were a player I wouldn't go near forums/social media, can't do your confidence any good. I bet people even slag od Messi on Twitter.
the aforementioned friend I was on about, played for a team in the conference North and they needed a win to guarantee a play off place, they were 0-0 at home last game 15 minutes to go and the manager took off the leading scorer and switched to 3-4-3 as the opponents camped in their own half, a fan who was a notorious big gob behind the dugout shouted to the manager , he didn't know what he was doing, in the end they won 2-0 and the sub he bought on scored one of the goals, at the end the manager turned to the fan and said who doesn't know what he's doing, the reply came back, you got lucky you prick, they got promoted to the Conference the first time in their history and still they got criticised.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I've no problem slagging off players (sportsmen like actors should expect the odd bad review,) but maybe not single them out in a thread of their own?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote:Yes that's the thing, Leon, people/fans have every right to comment about a player's performance
Well everyone told me i was wrong so I've held my hands up & I admitted my opinion/criticism was over the top & uncalled for on here. I can assure one & all it won't happen again

When I think what personal comments Steve Evans received it does make me think though :roll:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote:but maybe not single them out in a thread of their own?
Happens all the time on other forums, one you frequent often.

I've apologised & it won't happen again
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I don't like it on waccoe either.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
MeeTa
Manager
Manager
Twitter: @EirikOstrem

Post by MeeTa »

1964white wrote:Not if it offends folk mate

Praise is the operative word for 2017, something I have given to this Monk squad for the best part of this season

I shall quote Mr.Stephen Fry once again:

“It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so f**king what."

truth
MeeTa
Manager
Manager
Twitter: @EirikOstrem

Post by MeeTa »

Don't ever stop voicing your opinions just because some footballer might get sad, or others here disagrees with you. You have every right to say what you mean.
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

I think we all agree that Liam Cooper is an honest and full hearted centre half giving his all for Leeds United. He is as good if not better than several previous ones we all can name. After all he is club captain and no one is doing him a disservice only giving an opinion. Personally I like him as a player.
He gives his all as I say 100%, and he has found a ste up tough I suppose and can still improve of course and will hopefully . To me he isn't going to be top quality so even though he can offer us a great run in to the season and good luck to him for 2017.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Leon, others have already said it, but there is no need to stop having opinions on players simply because they might be upset by them. Cooper, like the rest, is handsomely rewarded for playing and criticism is part and parcel of the game. Whilst it can't be easy to read, it is what it is in this age of social media. Without opinions, this forum would be drier than a desert. Post on, mate, your passion, whether positive or negative, is one of the driving forces behind this place.

For what it's worth, I like Cooper. He had a good game the other night and was, imo, unlucky with the penalty. He's an honest pro who, it would appear, is a team player and has accepted that he isn't first choice. Good squad player who I think we'd struggle to replace for all the reasons already mentioned by others.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
1964white

Post by 1964white »

lufc1304 wrote:Post on, mate, your passion, whether positive or negative, is one of the driving forces behind this place
Thank you Nick for your kind words :tup:
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

One thing about it, the player won't forget the incident and he'll be much more aware of where his arms are and ought to be. He may get some hints from Monk and Clotet, so it's certainly not all negative.

Nick you make a very valid point about him being a squad player, seemingly happy to be so, and therein lies part of his true value to the club.